2023-2024 Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anybody have insight into whether the more recent interviews are for As or waitlist spots? Looks like a lot of people from last year's thread who interviewed Jan-Feb were put onto the WL

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody have insight into whether the more recent interviews are for As or waitlist spots? Looks like a lot of people from last year's thread who interviewed Jan-Feb were put onto the WL
I heard from admissions that their spots aren’t full yet, so later interviews could still get acceptance instead of WL

I got alt listed here but got accepted at another school and I'm trying to decide when would be the right time to sign a lease for an apartment. Cincinnati's my top choice and Ideally I'm trying to wait as long as possible but again I don't want to wait too long. Would it be smart to contact Cincinnati to see if they could potentially let me know where I stand on the alt list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who received "CC for an II" email on 2/2 received an II since then?

I got alt listed here but got accepted at another school and I'm trying to decide when would be the right time to sign a lease for an apartment. Cincinnati's my top choice and Ideally I'm trying to wait as long as possible but again I don't want to wait too long. Would it be smart to contact Cincinnati to see if they could potentially let me know where I stand on the alt list?
I’m kinda in the same boat as you

My roommate got accepted in May last year (pulled off the alt list) and she was still able to get an apartment. So there are still places open, but I guess it depends where you want to live.

for people who are fortunate enough to have multiple acceptances and aren’t seriously considering cinci anymore please give your girl on the alt list a chance ;-(

Reactions: 4 users
About how many people got the email called "application review"? Says "At this time, your application has been reviewed and remains under consideration by our admissions committee. " Did anyone get this last year and get an Interview invite? I got this on February 2 so I don't know why they wouldn't have just rejected or interviewed me that late in the cycle :c

Reactions: 4 users
About how many people got the email called "application review"? Says "At this time, your application has been reviewed and remains under consideration by our admissions committee. " Did anyone get this last year and get an Interview invite? I got this on February 2 so I don't know why they wouldn't have just rejected or interviewed me that late in the cycle :c
they said in the email that their interview season will go through march, so those of who received this email may still have a chance at a II!

Members don't see this ad :)
14 acceptances is crazy!!! Dude congrats, we need that school list!!
Thank you!! It’s been a wild cycle haha. Applied to 34 schools and I’m happy to share which ones to anyone who cares lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I’d say Northwestern and Michigan are the top rn but I’m still waiting to hear decisions back from some dream programs (WashU and Hopkins)
Woah, congrats. Those are some solid schools. Hoping the best for Hopkins!!

• Love
Is it worth it to send an update letter this late in the cycle or do we think they are done sending out interviews?

My friend let me know that Second Look is going to be Friday, April 26th with social events on Saturday, April 27th (morning/early afternoon).

My friend let me know that Second Look is going to be Friday, April 26th with social events on Saturday, April 27th (morning/early afternoon).
Is second look only for accepted, or is it open to alt list as well?

Is second look only for accepted, or is it open to alt list as well?
Based on other threads I believe second look events are usually for accepted students, but Cinci may run their event differently. We'll just have to wait until they release the official details of the event. Sorry!

Hey! I’ve been accepted and I’m looking a roommate to stay with me in the northern Kentucky area (lower tuition purposes). I’m not having very much luck with the roommate match slides that they provided. Does anyone have any advice, known anyone, or have access to an accepted students group chat of some sort?

Thank you!

Hi! I am building a school list and looking for current M3/M4's that can speak a little bit about Cincinnati!

Specifically, I have the following questions (please feel free to answer as many as you have time for, I know it is a lot!):

- Does Cincinnati have a home hospital?
- What is your preclinical grading system?
- How are students ranked?
- How often did you have exams during your preclinical years?
- Are these exams based more on lecture/in-house or NBME material?
- What are the attendance expectations (for lecture, PBL, etc)?
- What happens if you fail an exam (is it marked on your transcript)?
- What is your clinical grading system?
- What % of students earn honors per rotation (if applicable)?
- Who chooses which order your rotations are in (students, lottery, other)?
- If you could describe the environment during your rotations in one word, what would it be?
- How much time do you have for electives?
- Do you have AOA at Cincinnati?

Thanks so much in advance for answering! I appreciate you making time for this :)
Current M3 (almost 4) here. Happy to answer any questions.

Does Cincinnati have a home hospital?
UC is the areas main academic center which is attached to the medical school. Cincy Children's and VA are next door. Plenty of exposure to other nearby hospitals and community sites for those that want them. Generally all rotations can be done at UC if that's desired.
- What is your preclinical grading system? see below
My class is quartile rankings, for us M1 weighted 10%, M2 20%, M3 70%. I think subsequent classes are moving to true preclinical pass/fail but i haven't stayed up on that sorry. The weighting is important, as i was in the bottom quartile all of M1 and M2 and during M3 I've been in the top or second highest.
Unsure if this is still up to date, but classically every Monday morning exam during M1. M2 was every other monday.
Most of the exams are in in house, but the final exam for each block is an NBME.
Normal lectures have no mandatory attendance. Previous year recordings are available at all times, and current year recordings are usually posted within a few minutes of the lecture ending. There are some group classes like anatomy etc that have mandatory attendance but that's maybe once or twice a week during preclinical.
No, unless you mean Step exams which are of course reported. I don't know what happens when you fail courses but there's some remediation
H/HP/P/F
Variable but usually around 25% H /50% HP/ 25 P% /0 F. Psychiatry is more like 75% Honors, Surgery is around 50% honors.
For third year, there's a lottery. I got my first choice, most people get their first few
- If you could describe the environment during your rotations in one word, what would it be?
carbon-based. Seriously though, like all med schools every rotation has different residents, attendings, different buildings, different rules not to mention different specialties are all wildly different from eachother. Even when all of those factors are controlled, one resident might keep you all day and resident who rotates on the next week might send you home at 8am every day.
Not sure what you mean, but I'm on the old 2 year preclinical schedule and still have 16 weeks for interviews and vacation as a fourth year (20 if you include step 2 dedicated). Future students will be on a 1.5 year preclinical and will have way more time to schedule chill electives.
Yes. 15 (or is it 20?) % of the class gets it. People who finish in the top quartile are eligibile to interview, and then ~75% of them will get inducted.

At this point I know nothing about the interview/acceptance process but I'm happy to answer questions and DM's about UC in more detail.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Current M3 (almost 4) here. Happy to answer any questions.

Does Cincinnati have a home hospital?
UC is the areas main academic center which is attached to the medical school. Cincy Children's and VA are next door. Plenty of exposure to other nearby hospitals and community sites for those that want them. Generally all rotations can be done at UC if that's desired.
- What is your preclinical grading system? see below
My class is quartile rankings, for us M1 weighted 10%, M2 20%, M3 70%. I think subsequent classes are moving to true preclinical pass/fail but i haven't stayed up on that sorry. The weighting is important, as i was in the bottom quartile all of M1 and M2 and during M3 I've been in the top or second highest.
Unsure if this is still up to date, but classically every Monday morning exam during M1. M2 was every other monday.
Most of the exams are in in house, but the final exam for each block is an NBME.
Normal lectures have no mandatory attendance. Previous year recordings are available at all times, and current year recordings are usually posted within a few minutes of the lecture ending. There are some group classes like anatomy etc that have mandatory attendance but that's maybe once or twice a week during preclinical.
No, unless you mean Step exams which are of course reported. I don't know what happens when you fail courses but there's some remediation
H/HP/P/F
Variable but usually around 25% H /50% HP/ 25 P% /0 F. Psychiatry is more like 75% Honors, Surgery is around 50% honors.
For third year, there's a lottery. I got my first choice, most people get their first few
carbon-based. Seriously though, like all med schools every rotation has different residents, attendings, different buildings, different rules not to mention different specialties are all wildly different from eachother. Even when all of those factors are controlled, one resident might keep you all day and resident who rotates on the next week might send you home at 8am every day.
Not sure what you mean, but I'm on the old 2 year preclinical schedule and still have 16 weeks for interviews and vacation as a fourth year (20 if you include step 2 dedicated). Future students will be on a 1.5 year preclinical and will have way more time to schedule chill electives.
Yes. 15 (or is it 20?) % of the class gets it. People who finish in the top quartile are eligibile to interview, and then ~75% of them will get inducted.

At this point I know nothing about the interview/acceptance process but I'm happy to answer questions and DM's about UC in more detail.
Do you know if the incoming class will have the new 1.5 year prelinical? Or still the old 2 year?

Do you know if the incoming class will have the new 1.5 year prelinical? Or still the old 2 year?
I'm not totally sure. For the last several years they've been shortening the preclinical by 2 weeks each year - i.e class of 2027's preclinical is 8 weeks shorter than the class of 2023's was. I think the incoming class would be pretty close to if not officially 1.5.

I’m here from the 2-14 interview. Anyone else ?

2/16 interview checking in, looks like we may be hearing something tomorrow based on the trend of the last few interview dates to hear back.

How long after getting accepted did you guys get your letter in the mail? I was accepted about 2 weeks ago but still haven't gotten it.

I asked this earlier in this thread but never got a response so trying again…did anyone who received the email on 2/2 about being “under continued consideration for an interview” receive an II since then? Are they done sending II here?

Reactions: 1 users
I asked this earlier in this thread but never got a response so trying again…did anyone who received the email on 2/2 about being “under continued consideration for an interview” receive an II since then? Are they done sending II here?
Don't quote me but I think they said their last interview date was on March 8 :(

Don't quote me but I think they said their last interview date was on March 8 :(
Ok...weird because it looks like there are about a dozen or so of us on here who got the 2/2 email but I haven't heard anyone getting an II after receiving it. I was hoping for an II, and that "continued review" definitely gave me some false hope that there was still a chance, but I guess now I just wait for a pre-II R? :shrug: