2023-2024 Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not totally sure. For the last several years they've been shortening the preclinical by 2 weeks each year - i.e class of 2027's preclinical is 8 weeks shorter than the class of 2023's was. I think the incoming class would be pretty close to if not officially 1.5.

During first year how many days in a week were you required to be on campus?

-Thanks for answering all of our questions.

Members don't see this ad.

During first year how many days in a week were you required to be on campus?

-Thanks for answering all of our questions.
It's extremely variable. Reliably, you'll have to be there for:
- exams every couple weeks (I had them every week but i think that has changed?) - that's an hour and a half or so. Could be more on the last week of each course since you have a final exam, and possibly an OSCE (clinical skills exam) or practical (anatomy exam).
- learning community where you talk through theoretical patient cases with an attending in a small group setting. It is scheduled for 2 hours. My group's preceptor never had us complete the pre work for it and dismissed us after 30-40 minutes. The amount of time is variable depending on your preceptor. It was usually annoying to show up to this right after exams, but it's one event that will reliably make you close to ~8 other people. A couple of my closest friends where in my LC group so I am appreciative of it in that regard. The preceptor might be a senior resident, current physician, or in my case a retired physician. Our preceptor did offer to write all of us residency rec letters if we wanted them.
-Clinical skills where you work in fake clinic rooms with patient actors. That's 1:15 a week. It's really helpful and refreshing to have during M1 when you have no real patient experience. I personally thought it felt more like a chore in late M2 once I started seeing some real patients in FOD (discussed below)
-There may be miscellaneous mandatory (often from zoom so not necessarily on campus) lectures and meetings, that could be related to physician and society course, community engagement course, patient presentations, or other random stuff. I feel like there was maybe an average of ~1-2 hours of stuff like that per week but it could be 0 or well more than that if it's something big. I'll attach a screenshot or two of a couple random M1 weeks I had. The preclinical curriculum has been shortened significantly since I was an M1 so don't get too attached to the lecture titles. The mandatory things are in orange, blue, or have an "M" by them. To be honest, by the end of M2 I would not show up to a lot of the lectures in this last category (the attendance button works from home) but I wouldn't recommend doing that from the start.
Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 6.34.04 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 6.40.00 PM.png
-The main thing that might bump the on campus time up a lot is if you have a dissection as they usually take multiple hours. Certain courses like MSK will have many dissections and the biochemistry course will have none.
-During the latter half of m1 and all of M2, you spend one afternoon clinic per 2 weeks with a primary care preceptor at an on campus site called Fundamentals of Doctoring or "FOD". As with all things clinical your experience will be preceptor dependent. In general, that's mostly shadowing during M1 and very slowly turns into more of M3-practice during your second year. I remember it occasionally had some annoying busy-work assignments, but If you're interested in being a doctor you should theoretically enjoy the actual in-person part itself. I requested to be paired up with my preceptor again during my M3 internal medicine rotation and he's now writing me a residency rec letter.

Overall, I certainly felt like the amount of mandatory in-person events was a bit more than I wanted, considering I wanted none. I don't actually know if our preclinical curriculum has more or less mandatory in person time than the average med school curriculum. Hopefully that answers your question.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Cincinnati moved to tru P/F or are they still doing the internal rank for the incoming class?

Does anyone know if Cincinnati moved to tru P/F or are they still doing the internal rank for the incoming class?
My understanding is the quartile system is staying.

Reactions: 1 user
I had this concern when I came here.

On one hand, you're correct in the sense that the OSU and Case names clearly goes a little further. I don't think you can look compare the matchlists and deny that. As a mid-tier school, you can view the Cincy name recognition as glass half empty or half full. On one hand, you can't be a terrible applicant and still get into a top name program like if you graduated from a top 10 medical school. On the other hand, we have a lot more opportunity to match at fancy institutions than people from Wright State, Toledo, NEOMED, and certainly DO schools.

The secret that I learned is a lot of people who match here actually like Cincinnati. There are plenty of people who have lived here their whole lives and have family here. Not everyone wants to leave as soon as they can, and a lot of the people thought they would (myself) are now totally happy with the idea of staying in Cincy. I barely know anyone who would be genuinely upset if they matched here. Not everybody needs to go the most prestigious institution for residency possible; there are very few career scenarios where it matters at all. At least two of the M4's I know had spouses in Dayton and specifically wanted to match at Wright State or Kettering despite having interviews at bigger name places. Not to mention 10 of the Ohio matches are at Cincy Children's.
Graduating M4 here who matched out of Ohio, but still in the midwest... Building on what Isomerase has very nicely explained in their posts, there's also the financial aspect of residency. Most residency salary are generally within a certain range, and that range may or may not cover the difference in cost of living. I looked at an NYC residency that paid about $15k/year more than what a Cincy program was paying, which sounds great, but to be equivalent with COL comparison to Cincy, it would need to pay $40k/year more, so it's not even close. Cincy (and most of Ohio) has a good cost of living compared to where you could potentially end up. It's nice to be able to eat during residency.

On a lesser note, unless you have a specific reason to move (e.g. family, a "dream" residency location, etc), moving expenses can add up very quickly as well, depending on how much you own and how much you want to keep. I'm not saying that probably made anyone's decision, but it's one of the many, many factors you might find yourself including in your personal ranking criteria. I considered moving to the west coast, but when I looked at moving expenses, it might have been cheaper to just chuck everything I own and start fresh (I'm non-trad and actually own some nicer things). Even if you don't have a lot of stuff, chucking it all would still suck because who wants to buy everything new during your intern year, when time and money are both limited, and when you are also possibly moving again in 3-7 years to who knows where.

Off the topic of finances, matching in Ohio isn't necessarily a bad thing program-wise. Cincy has some great hospitals with UC and Christ, as well as the #1 children's hospital in the country. Columbus has fantastic programs, both independent from or affiliated with Ohio State. And in Cleveland, well, you have the 800-pound gorilla that's the Cleveland Clinic, where many residents from out-of-state dream to match.

All of that to say, don't look at Ohio vs OOS match stats as a bad thing. When the time finally comes around for you all to match, you might be surprised at everything you consider when making your rank list, and Ohio might be higher on your list that you would've thought before starting med school (or whatever state you attend med school).

Good luck to everyone accepted and to everyone on the waitlist!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what WL movement/chances is like here? Trying to decide if I should send my LOI here or another school

Reactions: 3 users
Was there any AL movement after the 15th? or are we expecting it to start after May 1?

Yesss thanks for all the withdrawn A’s! Wishing you all the best! Hopefully the rest of us peeps on the WL hear some good news soon!! 🙏🏾

Reactions: 2 users
Just a heads up, there are about 212 people right now in the GroupMe and the dean said they’re pushing for a class size of 180.

Just a heads up, there are about 212 people right now in the GroupMe and the dean said they’re pushing for a class size of 180.
Is that only accepted students or are there other people in the group to answer questions? Like admin, or current students.

Is that only accepted students or are there other people in the group to answer questions? Like admin, or current students.
There’s I think only 1-2 other people besides accepted students. Down to 210 now tho

That seems very high compared to previous years' trends in the groupme/fb group around this time. Does anyone think this means there won't be much WL movement?

Seems like a similar situation at OSU this year, too. People might be holding As longer than May 1st because of the FAFSA delay. At least that is what I'm telling myself to cope.

thanks for sharing! with the delay, I’d assume waitlist movement will start after May 15th then

I thought PTE is set by AAMC and is always April 30?
schools can individually decide to change it-I think the AAMC advised schools to consider modifying it this year due to the FAFSA delay. A couple of my schools moved theirs to mid-May so that's likely delaying waitlist movement

Reactions: 1 users
212 on Group me is scaring me. I wonder if that means we wont get called off the WL. also sucks we dont get tiers. So hard to keep my mind off this. Looks like they can call up to July 1st

Reactions: 1 users
212 on Group me is scaring me. I wonder if that means we wont get called off the WL. also sucks we dont get tiers. So hard to keep my mind off this. Looks like they can call up to July 1st
Is 212 the updated number as of today? Or has it decreased from a couple of weeks ago?

Is 212 the updated number as of today? Or has it decreased from a couple of weeks ago?
I just looked at the post from a week or so ago. Can any current accepted student please provide us neurotic applicants with some current numbers? (completely fine if you lie and decrease the current member count by 50. we dont mind, just give us some hope please)

• Haha
I just looked at the post from a week or so ago. Can any current accepted student please provide us neurotic applicants with some current numbers? (completely fine if you lie and decrease the current member count by 50. we dont mind, just give us some hope please)
it is currently at 205 but most schools have changed their PTE deadline to May 15th or longer so waitlist movement gonna take longer than normal

Withdrew a full-tuition scholarship today, good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Oh no. Definitely not the news I was hoping for. I thought today was the deadline and we would see a huge drop. Im not sure if we should still be hopeful. Around this time last year i think there were only 150 members in the group me ( based on SDN lurking). Class size is 180 so what happens to the excess 20 students accepted

Oh no. Definitely not the news I was hoping for. I thought today was the deadline and we would see a huge drop. Im not sure if we should still be hopeful. Around this time last year i think there were only 150 members in the group me ( based on SDN lurking). Class size is 180 so what happens to the excess 20 students accepted
You are reading a lot into a simple group me size imo