This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Delilah0225

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Thanks in advance for any help I can get this cycle! I am a Pennsylvania resident applying for the class of 2026. Female age 24 and unfortunately this will be my fourth time applying.

Schools: Illinois, Iowa, Virginia Maryland, U Arizona, Colorado State, Midwestern, NC State, LIU

Cumulative GPA: 3.2
Science GPA: 3.1
Last 45 GPA: 3.2

Degrees:

B.S in Animal Science w/ Pre-Veterinary Emphasis
M.S in Veterinary Biomedical Science

GRE: N/A

Veterinary experience:
I have worked in a Small Animal Clinic ( one Vet and one Vet tech) since I was a Junior in High School
Internship At VCA hospital for 4 months
In my undergrad they had a farm on campus so I took Animal Handling courses and Worked with Veterinarians onsite

Animal experience:
I have over 10,000 hours of small animal experience
Most likely have around 7,000 hours of large animal through my undergrad university
Volunteering at my local SPCA

Research:
Presented my published research involving Goat Gestation during my undergrad at ASAS conference
During my pursuit of my Master's I assisted my professor/veterinary teacher with building clay muscles of the thoracic & pelvic limbs as well as the thorax on caniken (canine) models. The goal was to make muscle guides of the canine specimen so veterinarians and students could use them as a reference during dissections. It was for a Research Class Credit

Scholarships/awards:
Received the President's Scholarship throughout my undergrad
Presented with the Sophomore Award by Sigma Kappa Sorority
Published Author in Journal of Animal Science

Extracurriculars:
Sigma Kappa Member and was the former Vice President of Membership
PADDI certified Scuba Diver through an on-campus Club
Former Greek Council Chairman (Social Chairman)

Work experience (non-animal related):
Radio DJ throughout my undergrad
Party City Cashier

Where I currently am at is this: I just finished my last file review and basically all of the ones I have had keep telling me that my references are great, my experiences/extracurriculars are good and maxed out, and my essays were perfect BUUUUTTTTT it always seems to come back to my GPA being subpar or that I was in the range of applicants they were looking for...and I COMPLETELY agree that I definitely could have done better in my undergrad, so to improve that I applied to a "bridge program" at a veterinary school that was supposed to help me increase my chances of getting into veterinary school while also earning my Master's Degree. But long story short, due to unforeseen circumstances that occurred in part because of that school, I ended up with a 3.2 overall GPA and my master's. Which, unfortunately, wasn't enough to push me into at least an interview at the schools I applied to this last cycle.

I was also told by some of the file reviews that I should look into retaking a few of my undergrad science courses to help boost my GPA (such as Organic Chemistry or Biochemistry/ other science courses) ...but not all of the schools will take the higher grade into consideration, instead most schools normally average them. So is it worth the cost of retaking these courses, will that truly make a difference in my GPA? I guess what I am looking for is, do you guys think it would be beneficial for me to retake two or three science courses over the summer? I just don't know what else is going to be enough to push my application into the interview phase...

Any advice at all would be SO helpful because I keep going back and forth and I'm struggling on what to do and as I said before this is my fourth time applying and it's getting harder and harder each time I get rejected... knowing this is what I want to do for the rest of my life!! 😔

Members don't see this ad.

I would strongly rethink some of the school choices you have. NC state I'm not sure you even meet the minimum out of state requirements. I personally would not apply to CSU because anything under a 3.2 undergoes early file review and the amount of applicants to seats is astronomical.
I would think about maybe taking a gap year and really focusing on your studies if you decide to retake courses. It doesnt do any good to reapply if your gpa is going to be the same and if you're applying to the same schools. Then figure out what schools do grade replacement and what schools fit your profile better.
Definitely listen to your file reviews because they are best at letting you know specifically what to improve. I would recommend Kansas michigan and the island schools as possible other options

Reactions: 1 user
It is so important to apply smart and strategically to schools. It’ll save you money, and heartache from getting rejected. Look into schools that really value your strengths and don’t put as much emphasis on your weaknesses. Michigan State, for example, does not take cGPA into consideration as long as you meet the minimum (which you do). They do look at last 36 credit GPA which would probably be a ~3.2 for you and with all of your experiences I believe you’d be a competitive applicant since they use a holistic approach. I agree with the post above, it would not help you to retake courses or do another masters if you’re consistently a 3.1-3.2 student. Only retake classes or pursue a masters if you think you can 4.0 it (or get very close). I would also utilize the explanation statement and make your case for why you believe you are ready for the academic challenge and rigor of vet school, since that seems to be your only weakness in your app!

Overall, if I were you I would spend some time researching schools and revising your school list.

Members don't see this ad :)
As has been said, your school list is probably the source of your struggles. I was similar I that I consistently was a 3.0-3.5 student. Take a look at all the schools and apply broadly taking the following into account:

1. Apply to your in state. Statistically your best chance simply due to numbers.
2. Number of OOS applications to number of seats. Schools like CSU have an insane number of OOS applicants, making lower tier applicants less likely to get accepted.
3. Priorities in the admissions process. Don't apply to places that value GPA.

You may need to use the AAVMC public data and email schools to rewrite your list

Reactions: 1 users
As has been said, your school list is probably the source of your struggles. I was similar I that I consistently was a 3.0-3.5 student. Take a look at all the schools and apply broadly taking the following into account:

1. Apply to your in state. Statistically your best chance simply due to numbers.
2. Number of OOS applications to number of seats. Schools like CSU have an insane number of OOS applicants, making lower tier applicants less likely to get accepted.
3. Priorities in the admissions process. Don't apply to places that value GPA.

You may need to use the AAVMC public data and email schools to rewrite your list
Even if my in-state school is the University of Penn? To me, it just seems like a waste of an application knowing I don't have the GPA that they are looking for...

Even if my in-state school is the University of Penn? To me, it just seems like a waste of an application knowing I don't have the GPA that they are looking for...
From a statistics perspective, the in state school is the best chance of getting in because the pool of applicants is smaller for the same number or more seats as the out of state pool of any other school.

Their average GPA is about a 3.6, yes, but that's the national average as well. Also keep in mind that many schools have a higher OOS GPA average than in state average cause there are more students competing for fewer seats. So even though you have 3.2, your chances are still statistically better at Penn than almost anywhere else.

The exceptions are the new schools trying to build their reputations. Historically, these schools have had lower average GPAs.

From a statistics perspective, the in state school is the best chance of getting in because the pool of applicants is smaller for the same number or more seats as the out of state pool of any other school.

Their average GPA is about a 3.6, yes, but that's the national average as well. Also keep in mind that many schools have a higher OOS GPA average than in state average cause there are more students competing for fewer seats. So even though you have 3.2, your chances are still statistically better at Penn than almost anywhere else.

The exceptions are the new schools trying to build their reputations. Historically, these schools have had lower average GPAs.
Thank you so much for the advice, I truly appreciate it!!