WAMC c/o 2029 first time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikidvm

Reaction score
University GPA: 3.22
VMCAS GPA: 3.24
Last 45: 3.63
( I do not know how to calculate my science GPA)

Experience:

Vet:
-small animal GP: 4,808 hours ( worked a one practice and currently working for a practice as a vet assistant/non-licensed tech/surgery tech)
-Large animal (equine): 72 hours ( externship)

No -vet:

-large animal: 132 hours ( working with large animal at college)
-small animal: 672 ( pet sitting , volunteer at animal shelter)
-wildlife: 120 hours ( volunteered at a birds of prey rehabilitation center)
-Research: 136 hours ( conducted two researches so far at college)

Non-animal jobs:

-Starbucks barista: 1.5 years
-Panera bread general worker: ~1.5 years ( can’t remember )

Activities/clubs:
-Pre-vet club member : +3 years
-Tri-Beta biological honor society: 1 year
- Library advisory board: 1 semester

Achievements:
-Deans list honorable mentions: Fall 2022 semester
-Deans list : Spring and Fall of 2023 semester
-inducted into the biological honor society

Certifications:
-Basic Animal Life Support
-Advanced Animal Life Support

LOR:
-One equine vet
-Three small animal GP vets from my current job . One when to Colorado, one when to Ohio and the other when to North Carolina for vet school.
-old Starbucks manager
-Advisor/past professor/LVT

Applying to:
1. LIU ( top school) -IS
2.Trufts
3. Ohio
4. UPenn
5. Virginia Maryland
6. Cornell -IS
7. LMU
8.Tennessee
9. Michigan
10. AVC
11. Geulph
12. Purdue
13.Illinois
14.Iowa

Thank you for anyone who takes the time to read this and give me advise.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a good start to your application. The last 45 GPA being higher than your normal GPA will be valued by some schools (someone on here has the list). I would spend the summer getting more hours in a field other than small animal GP. Even if this is just shadowing, it would show the admissions committee that you have experienced different careers within vet med. Try to set up shadowing with a farm vet, speciality service, or exotics. I would also try to narrow down your list of schools. Each school costs money on VMCAS to apply to plus an additional fee. Your list is easily 1-2k just to apply. I would go through and look at average GPA of the admitted student for each school. Not saying that you can't get in with being lower, but it could help you narrow down your list. Just an example that Tufts average GPA is a 3.78 and from what I've heard Illinois has a GPA cutoff that is determined once they go through applications (not 100% sure though).

Reactions: 1 users
I think you have a good start to your application. The last 45 GPA being higher than your normal GPA will be valued by some schools (someone on here has the list). I would spend the summer getting more hours in a field other than small animal GP. Even if this is just shadowing, it would show the admissions committee that you have experienced different careers within vet med. Try to set up shadowing with a farm vet, speciality service, or exotics. I would also try to narrow down your list of schools. Each school costs money on VMCAS to apply to plus an additional fee. Your list is easily 1-2k just to apply. I would go through and look at average GPA of the admitted student for each school. Not saying that you can't get in with being lower, but it could help you narrow down your list. Just an example that Tufts average GPA is a 3.78 and from what I've heard Illinois has a GPA cutoff that is determined once they go through applications (not 100% sure though).

Thank you so much!