Wake Forest Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jllander said:
Oh, a couple of us had just talked about getting together on July 24 at a bar or restaurant for drinks and dinner before we all began. Nothing has been set in stone; we were just throwing the idea around. I thought we began orientation on July 25 and classes on August 1...

there are only a few bars in winston-salem that are worth anything. one has pretty good drink specials, but no food. Of course there are the normal restaurants that also have a bar, but no good specials.

Members don't see this ad.

Medikit said:
Ambs! I'm excited for me too! I know the grin you're talking about, I've been wearing it most of the day. Thanks for wandering over to the Wake thread to congratulate me. I'm looking at OHSU in my beaten up MSAR, looks like our class sizes are about the same. When in August do you start? We're beginning orientation on the 26th of July and classes begin on the 2nd.

I snuck onto SDN at work (I know; I'm an addict), and I saw you post on the matriculation thread. I literally jumped with excitement. :D

Orientation is on August 15th, and classes begin on the 22nd at OHSU. My birthday (the big 23) is on the 25th -- my first birthday as a med student... :laugh:

jllander said:
Oh, a couple of us had just talked about getting together on July 24 at a bar or restaurant for drinks and dinner before we all began. Nothing has been set in stone; we were just throwing the idea around. I thought we began orientation on July 25 and classes on August 1...

You're right, I don't know how I got off two days. I think that sounds like a good idea, I'm definitely up for it if it happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I'm gone for a day and all this action happens on the wake thread.

Congratulations Medikit! It sounded like there was good news coming your way.

kuma -- there are plenty of realtors in W-S, I used Prudential Carolina Realty (http://www.prudential-carolinas.com/) and had a good experience.

As for the dinner get together thing on Sunday --- how is the Marshall Street smokehouse and wine bar in old salem, tarheel04? If we made it for Tuesday instead of Sunday they have live jazz. Prices are around the middle range ($15 an entree). Any other good places you can suggest?

callendm said:
Stay clear of your future classmate Chris X. He dated my best friend and was a huge dick to her!
Lol. Dude, he's gonna be pissed if he finds out you're blacklisting him on SDN. It's gettin' personal in here.

BTW: Congrats to Medikit.

Good point. On that note I take back my previous post and wish it to be stricken from the record. Have a great year and good luck

I finally got the call from Sherri today after 4 months on the WL. See you all later this summer.

I'm looking to sublet for the month of July. I love Wake as a school, but my friends and family are all up in New England so I'm hoping to get off a wl at a school up here.

Anybody have a place to sublet? I'm planning on attending the pre-matriculation program b/c I think it might ease me into things.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Medikit said:
I called this morning. I'm accepted :). Now I need to find a place to live. I know a doctor who just finished his residency and is moving out at the end of June so I might look into that.

Cheers all the way to Chico, dude!

Very nice, Medikit. Really gives you permission to live life again, huh? Congrats!!! :thumbup: :D

freaker said:
Cheers all the way to Chico, dude!

Very nice, Medikit. Really gives you permission to live life again, huh? Congrats!!! :thumbup: :D

Thanks man :)

Is TN your first choice or are you hoping for a little waitlist action coming your way?

So how was everyone's 3 day weekend??? My boyfriend and I went camping in the mountains east of San Diego. It was awesome. :D

How are those medical forms coming? I was lucky to get an appointment with my doctor before 7/1/05.

To Do List:

- Get eyes checked
- Get a TB test
- Get a blood test to show immunity to chicken pox
- Get a physical

Once I get to Wake:

- Get another TB test
- Get vaccinated for Hep B

:sleep:

i61164 said:
How are those medical forms coming? I was lucky to get an appointment with my doctor before 7/1/05.

To Do List:

- Get eyes checked
- Get a TB test
- Get a blood test to show immunity to chicken pox
- Get a physical

Once I get to Wake:

- Get another TB test
- Get vaccinated for Hep B

:sleep:

Have you not had the Hep B series yet?

jllander said:
Have you not had the Hep B series yet?

Nope. In college it was suggested, but not mandatory.

I just moved to Winston-Salem today and had a few cold ones at a neat place called 6th and vine. Most of the bars I saw have live nightly music. If I wasn't so tired I'd stay out later.

is anyone here into wine tasting? There are a few vineyards in the area.

erock said:
I just moved to Winston-Salem today and had a few cold ones at a neat place called 6th and vine. Most of the bars I saw have live nightly music. If I wasn't so tired I'd stay out later.

I've never actually been wine tasting. Something new to try I guess! Ahh, the countdown continues....

11 days until I graduate
50 days until I move to WS

jllander said:
I've never actually been wine tasting. Something new to try I guess! Ahh, the countdown continues....

11 days until I graduate

I think It would be great to get people together and tour the "wine country" near Winston.

It's no napa valley, though.

erock said:
I think It would be great to get people together and tour the "wine country" near Winston.

It's no napa valley, though.

Hehe, so true. I wish I could do that; it sounds like fun. But I won't be free until that Sunday. And I'll only be in WS the Thursday before. But we'll all have plenty of time to hang out. I have a feeling we will get to know each other very well. hehe Alright, back to studying for finals. :(

erock said:

I will be moving to W-S the weekend of July 4th. We can hang out or go wine tasting or whatever. My house is on Lamont Dr. From the hospital you take Queen to Gales. Gales turns into Lamont and the house is only 1 mile from Baptist. I just can't wait. If I could fast forward I would. I am so jealous that you are there already.

Counting down the days...

jllander said:

11 days until I graduate

Why do the UC's end so darn late?

Medikit said:
Why do the UC's end so darn late?

Gotta love the quarter system. I didn't actually start school this year until September 28, or at least close to it. So normally I have a decent 3 month long summer. Not this summer though. It's going to be a short 4 weeks. I can't complain that much though. This last quarter I only took my classes pass/no pass. You could say I have officially "peaced out." My poor brain has turned to mush b/c I don't hardly study. :D :p

i61164 said:
I will be moving to W-S the weekend of July 4th. We can hang out or go wine tasting or whatever. My house is on Lamont Dr. From the hospital you take Queen to Gales. Gales turns into Lamont and the house is only 1 mile from Baptist. I just can't wait. If I could fast forward I would. I am so jealous that you are there already.

Counting down the days...

i know what you mean about fast forwarding ... the week before I moved out here seemed to take longer than usual. I'm in student summer housing now, but get to move into my new house on June 15th. The house is off of craig st --- take queen to hawthorne to craig. We should definitely check out the local bar scene and maybe a vineyard or two.

bump

I just like to see this thread on the first page.

to keep this thread alive, I thought we could go ahead and try to organize the dinner and drinks meeting the sunday before orientation. add your name to the list if you want to go (i'm adding names of people who already indicated they wanted to go -- just remove it if you changed your mind or something came up). We can pick the time and place when the date gets closer.

pre-orientation bar hop list:
DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit

erock said:
to keep this thread alive, I thought we could go ahead and try to organize the dinner and drinks meeting the sunday before orientation. add your name to the list if you want to go (i'm adding names of people who already indicated they wanted to go -- just remove it if you changed your mind or something came up). We can pick the time and place when the date gets closer.

DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit

I'm game.

DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit
nockamura

Yay! It's actually happening! I can't wait to meet everyone!! You know what else we should do? We should email the people on the roommate list who haven't said hi on SDN. That way, we can get a few more people to go on Sunday.

jllander said:
Yay! It's actually happening! I can't wait to meet everyone!! You know what else we should do? We should email the people on the roommate list who haven't said hi on SDN. That way, we can get a few more people to go on Sunday.

great idea -- if someone with the roommate list will send out emails about the get together that would be awesome. I don't have a copy of it.

I'm going to start a list of bars and restaurants in Winston. maybe the upperclass wake students who browse this forum can fill us in on details -- tell us which ones are crap and which ones are good.

DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit
nockamura

bars/restaurants:
6th and Vine
1st street draft house

erock said:
DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit
nockamura

bars/restaurants:
6th and Vine
1st street draft house
I've never been to 6th and vine, but 1st st. is good. close to the hospital, so if you live nearby, it would be an easy walk.

tarheel04 said:
I've never been to 6th and vine, but 1st st. is good. close to the hospital, so if you live nearby, it would be an easy walk.

Thanks for the info on 1st st. I'm probably going there this friday or saturday to check it out, um yea research for the thread, take one for the team kind of thing :D

6th and vine is pretty new. There's a patio out back for live music (mostly jazz) and seems nice, but only went there once. Prices are a bit on the high end.

i saw a neat little hole-in-the-wall type bar off liberty st. (i think) but can't remember the name. i'll try to check that one out too.

DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit
nockamura
Kumanati

party time - hell yea

tarheel04 said:

Hmmm...incentive to live close to the hospital???

I think so!

Is Sunday a good time to do dinner and drinks? Do we really want to start our first day as medical students hung over??

Eh, why not....

DrThom said:
Hmmm...incentive to live close to the hospital???

I think so!

Is Sunday a good time to do dinner and drinks? Do we really want to start our first day as medical students hung over??

Eh, why not....

Our schedule starts at 8:30am on Monday. If we do it Saturday night we might be more apt to let loose because we can sleep in on Sunday. I'm up for it either way.

i61164 said:
Our schedule starts at 8:30am on Monday. If we do it Saturday night we might be more apt to let loose because we can sleep in on Sunday. I'm up for it either way.

Saturday sounds better to me. If everyone can still go, lets change it to Saturday. Or we can just go out for dinner Sunday and then go to bars the next weekend.

DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit
nockamura
Kumanati

bars/restaurants:
6th and Vine
1st street draft house
Burke Street Pub -- near 1st st.
Gatsby's Pub -- near 1st st.
Fusion -- near 1st st.
West End Tap Room

Count me in too! I think dinner Sunday sounds good . . . since 8:30 is pretty early on Monday morning - however I'm up for whatever you guys want to do!

erock said:
DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit
nockamura
Kumanati
SAL0320

bars/restaurants:
6th and Vine
1st street draft house
Burke Street Pub -- near 1st st.
Gatsby's Pub -- near 1st st.
Fusion -- near 1st st.
West End Tap Room

I'm really only free on Sunday, so I would prefer to do dinner Sunday night. But I am one of many going so go with what the majority wants. Either way, I will get to hang out with you guys Monday.

Hey, since I got in relatively late I haven't gotten any information. Have you guys finalized all your financial aid stuff? I didn't fill out the CSS because my family makes too much for me to be considered for need-based aid. What loans did you go with and how much non-federal aid are you borrowing? Also, can someone tell me what that first week's schedule looks like and what, if any, vacations we will get this first year?

jllander said:
I'm really only free on Sunday, so I would prefer to do dinner Sunday night. But I am one of many going so go with what the majority wants. Either way, I will get to hang out with you guys Monday.

Let's keep it on Sunday then, just dinner and a few drinks. Maybe the following weekend we can get more of the class together for some bar hopping down first and burke streets.

nockamura said:
Hey, since I got in relatively late I haven't gotten any information. Have you guys finalized all your financial aid stuff? I didn't fill out the CSS because my family makes too much for me to be considered for need-based aid. What loans did you go with and how much non-federal aid are you borrowing? Also, can someone tell me what that first week's schedule looks like and what, if any, vacations we will get this first year?

I don't know much about the fin aid stuff, but as far as vacations go -- I think there is a break in december, another at the end of february, and some kind of summer vacation.

Medikit said:
Thanks Evs, congrats yourself.
No problem. BTW, if you check my saga link, the "crazy story" is finally explained. :thumbup: