Wake Forest Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jllander said:
Alright, I have a question for anyone who may know. I shipped my car from California and it has just arrived in Durham, NC. Yay!!! But my question is, do I need to change my plates? I believe, that according to North Carolina laws, I am a temporary resident because I'm a student. Does this mean I can keep my California plates? Anyone know or done this before?!? Thanks!

Hey Jen,
Do we get an "off-street" parking? or is it a carport?

I've been living near DC area (VA) for a year and I recently got a letter saying that I need a city permit to park my car.

What about the SMOG CHECK that we have to do every two yrs (or every year? I forget.))

:p

Members don't see this ad.

Carolinek83 said:
Hey Jen,
Do we get an "off-street" parking? or is it a carport?

I've been living near DC area (VA) for a year and I recently got a letter saying that I need a city permit to park my car.

What about the SMOG CHECK that we have to do every two yrs (or every year? I forget.))

:p

There is lots of parking right outside our building. I don't think there's covered parking and if there is, it's minimal. And we don't need any kind of permit to park there. As for the smog check, from what I understand, to keep your California registration, you need to do one every other year and your registration notice should tell you.

jllander said:
Alright, I have a question for anyone who may know. I shipped my car from California and it has just arrived in Durham, NC. Yay!!! But my question is, do I need to change my plates? I believe, that according to North Carolina laws, I am a temporary resident because I'm a student. Does this mean I can keep my California plates? Anyone know or done this before?!? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure you can keep your plates. I just drove to W-S last week and met an MS-2.5 from WA and she still had her WA plates.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrThom said:
Hey!

It's been awhile but I just got back from W-S yesterday trying to get my new place set up. It's not quite there but I am permanently back on the 20th.

Anyway, I don't think I'm gonna go on the camping shindig cause there are some loose ends I wanna tie up before school starts (not to mention relax before school!) but if anyone's wanting to hang out before our get together on the 24th, that would be cool.

I'm thinking about maybe cooking some big dinner some night between 20th and 24th (Yes, I do cook..) and having people over. Would anyone be interested??

That sounds good. Don't do it on the 22nd though because there is already another party that night.

My friend took this picture near the campus in Davis, California, I thought it was pretty funny:

wakeforest.JPG

I got her a T-shirt from the medical school last week so now she will have something to wear next time she's in that neighborhood.

Hahaha! My mom lived off Wake Forest Dr. when she was an undergrad at UCDavis in 1971!! Small world. So...a week from today I am flying out to North Carolina. I can hardly wait!!

The orientation dress code only applies to the first day of orientation, as that is when they take your ID photo. Apparently, that photo will follow you around for at least four years, so they want you to make it a good one. This info is passed down from a few MSIIs I know.

Also, I'm still in for activities on the 24th, who do I contact to get info?

-Ryan

Ryan,

A list of email addresses and phone numbers of people going to the Sunday night get together is being compiled. PM DoctorMalki with your info and you'll get put on the list. I think we're meeting at 6:45 out in front of the school. See you then.

rvasan said:
The orientation dress code only applies to the first day of orientation, as that is when they take your ID photo. Apparently, that photo will follow you around for at least four years, so they want you to make it a good one. This info is passed down from a few MSIIs I know.

Also, I'm still in for activities on the 24th, who do I contact to get info?

-Ryan

this isn't entirely correct. last year they made ID pics on monday and tuesday. the majority of my class wore dress causual the whole week.

Hey all!
I just accepted a spot at Wake! So now I have a week to scramble everything together, but I'm excited! Count me in on any pre-orientation events!

hopeful32 said:
Hey all!
I just accepted a spot at Wake! So now I have a week to scramble everything together, but I'm excited! Count me in on any pre-orientation events!

Congrats on your decision and welcome! PM your info to DoctorMalki so we can get in touch with ya. See ya soon.

hopeful32 said:
Hey all!

Congratulations! Do you want me to send you the latest file with people looking for roommates when I get them? It might take you a while to get the packet in the mail.

I make the big move to W-S tomorrow!!

See you all on the flip side!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone! I am at the Wake Library right now! It's so exciting to be here. This place sure is confusing though.
Anyway, we have one more person on the list for our get together on sunday. I'll send out an updated list soon.
See you all soon ! :)

I will not really be able to check my email for the next couple of days so if there are any new additions to our sunday get together can one of you please add the info to the updated list and send it out? Thanks !

hey...i've been out of town for awhile. could someone who already has any of the updated info for the 24th email it to me ([email protected]) or post it?? Thanks a lot...

-Brian

Hey Guys,
I am currently hanging out with a few 2nd years and they had a suggestion. Are we having dinner as well as drinks? They suggested that we should just meet at 1st street draught house, which is at the base of hawthorne, with 1st street. They have some parking room, and we can figure our our plan there. I went to wake undergrad, and have talked to them, and have some good bar suggestions. So, can we meet there at 7:00 on Sunday? We can talk about it tomorrow night at Eric's party. See yall then!

DeaconMD04 said:
We can talk about it tomorrow night at Eric's party. See yall then!

What??? Party???? What???

Did I miss something? Where? When? Who's all going?? I'm confused... :confused: :confused:

DrThom said:
What??? Party???? What???

Did I miss something? Where? When? Who's all going?? I'm confused... :confused: :confused:

Hey, I thought you were on the email list from Malika. I'm sending out another email about the party, let me know if you don't get it.

Edit -- okay the email has been sent, check your gmail account.

erock said:
Hey, I thought you were on the email list from Malika. I'm sending out another email about the party, let me know if you don't get it.

Edit -- okay the email has been sent, check your gmail account.

I got it. I got the first one too...I just missed it the first time :oops: :oops: :oops:

sorry...

So I'm down with meeting anywhere, just let me know where to be. Probably meeting at the Draught House is a better idea, mostly cause there's parking there. Will someone either post here, send another email or gimme a call with the final decision? Also, is dinner still on or should I eat before I come? Again, just lemme know. See you all Sunday night!

jllander said:
So I'm down with meeting anywhere, just let me know where to be. Probably meeting at the Draught House is a better idea, mostly cause there's parking there. Will someone either post here, send another email or gimme a call with the final decision? Also, is dinner still on or should I eat before I come? Again, just lemme know. See you all Sunday night!

Dinner is still on for Sunday. It's a toss up about where to meet. I say we still meet in front of the statue since most people know where that is -- just put your hazard lights on and park on the street, everyone does this.

Some 2nd years might be tagging along too, and they're expecting us to meet in front of the bowman gray statue. First street is a nice bar, but seating is odd --there are very few tables and they mostly serve bar food, so I still put my vote in for 6th and vine.

erock said:
Dinner is still on for Sunday. It's a toss up about where to meet. I say we still meet in front of the statue since most people know where that is -- just put your hazard lights on and park on the street, everyone does this.

Some 2nd years might be tagging along too, and they're expecting us to meet in front of the bowman gray statue. First street is a nice bar, but seating is odd --there are very few tables and they mostly serve bar food, so I still put my vote in for 6th and vine.

Sounds good to me!!

I just got to WS today and want to meet up with everyone on Sunday. Need to know where and when. Could someone PM or email me ([email protected])? If anyone is around school tonight or tomarrow and wants to hang out, give me a call, I'm incredibly board. My phone number is 520-3708929. My apartment is by the YMCA. Hope to hear from someone.

erock said:

Statue it is. And I've been wanting to try 6th and Vine, so it gets my vote as well.

would anyone be so kind as to email me the guide as well??? [email protected] I got accepted today and am trying to throw things together so that I show up on Monday. Thanks.

NCSUco04 said:
would anyone be so kind as to email me the guide as well??? [email protected] I got accepted today and am trying to throw things together so that I show up on Monday. Thanks.

I sent one, let me know if you don't get it.

And thanks to erock for throwing that get together tonite at his house. Hope your house is warm now... :D

Got it!!! Thanks so much. See you all Monday...

erock said:

Meeting at the statue works for nockamura and I. We actually live nextdoor to Eric, the guy who had the party, missed the party though, I just got into town today at 1 AM.

No need to worry about a dress code at Wake--after orientation, there basically isn't one (with the exception of when you're seeing patients; Dr. Jackson and Dr. Celestino will brief you on that this week). You do need to dress nicely the day you have your photo taken.

Yousif--congratulations! Kiran just told me you got accepted yesterday.

I might meet some of you all tonight at 6th & Vine, but if not I'll be around this week as well.