Wake Forest Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DeaconMD04 said:
Oh, and could someone please forward me the survival guide?

[email protected].

Thanks so much.

SENT!

Members don't see this ad.

DeaconMD04 said:
Got it! Thanks a lot!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We just might meet in WF. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Enjoy the rest of your time before you head back to Winston.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump

What's up docs?

I just flew in from Berlin and man are my arms tired.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

i61164 said:
I just flew in from Berlin and man are my arms tired.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

:laugh: :laugh:

Hey classmates !! How is everyone doing? So i have been running around trying to get all these shots for the health clerance and getting an apartment and getting all the financial aid stuff in. Man all their deadlines are crazy. It is so hard to get everything done especially if you got in recently off the waitlist. Does anyone know if employee health will give an extension on the july 1 deadline? I guess I could fax it to them tomorrow because I just got everything completed today but I dunno if they need a hard copy.

For the people who were interested in the apartment i mentioned earlier. I think she said that she still had 2-3 more units. The rent is 315$/ month for a one bedroom. The lady to call is Rita Cruz. These apartments are university owned but managed by some company. The number is 336-761-1130. You have to me a wake forest student to get this apartment so make sure you mention that. She is generally not at her desk but leave her a voicemail she is really good about calling you back.

So when is everyone moving to winston? I'll be there on july 20th. :)

It's official. I bought my first house. We will be there on Sunday.

Also, I will not have internet for a couple of days. It is supposed to be hooked up on Tuesday. If anyone want's meet up on Monday just give me a call at (704) 763-9941. Maybe we can check out some fireworks or something.

DoctorMalki said:
Hey classmates !! How is everyone doing? So i have been running around trying to get all these shots for the health clerance and getting an apartment and getting all the financial aid stuff in. Man all their deadlines are crazy. It is so hard to get everything done especially if you got in recently off the waitlist. Does anyone know if employee health will give an extension on the july 1 deadline? I guess I could fax it to them tomorrow because I just got everything completed today but I dunno if they need a hard copy.

For the people who were interested in the apartment i mentioned earlier. I think she said that she still had 2-3 more units. The rent is 315$/ month for a one bedroom. The lady to call is Rita Cruz. These apartments are university owned but managed by some company. The number is 336-761-1130. You have to me a wake forest student to get this apartment so make sure you mention that. She is generally not at her desk but leave her a voicemail she is really good about calling you back.

So when is everyone moving to winston? I'll be there on july 20th. :)

I spoke with Janice a couple of days ago about the health form deadline. Since I am living in Wyoming right now, got in to Wake on Monday, and will not be home until the 9th or so, the deadline was going to be tough. She said that they need the history and personal info forms ASAP so they can put you in the system. As far as the physical and immunization history go, they can be a little more lenient on those. Hope that helps.

Today was my last day at work. I have retired after 7 years in this career and the last 5 at the same company. Thank God it's over.

i61164 said:
Today was my last day at work. I have retired after 7 years in this career and the last 5 at the same company. Thank God it's over.

Congrats i6! Although I only worked at a store out here for 3 months, it still felt great quitting on the spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
i61164 said:

What did you used to do? I can't remember if you said before.

I am driving over to W-S starting Sunday and will be there on Tuesday. I'll be flying back though on the 10th and will return on the 20th.

i61164 said:
It's official. I bought my first house. We will be there on Sunday.

Congratulations ! :)

DeaconMD04 said:
I spoke with Janice a couple of days ago about the health form deadline. Since I am living in Wyoming right now, got in to Wake on Monday, and will not be home until the 9th or so, the deadline was going to be tough. She said that they need the history and personal info forms ASAP so they can put you in the system. As far as the physical and immunization history go, they can be a little more lenient on those. Hope that helps.

Thanks for letting me know deacon . I talked to her and faxed over my stuff.

Are we all still on for meeting up on the 24th? DId we pick a place? I am getting there on the 20th so I wouldn't mind meeting up with people before the 24th also. But I won't have a computer until we get one during orientation, so probably won't be able to get online. I am not sure if that's gonna be the case for others also. I was thinking of compiling a list of names, phone numbers for everyone here so that if we don't have access to the internet we all can still communicate about the 24th and possibly about meeting up before that. If you guys want you all can PM me your name, phone number and email address and I can compile a list and email the list to everyone who PMed me their info.

Have a great weekend everyone ! :)

DoctorMalki said:
If you guys want you all can PM me your name, phone number and email address and I can compile a list and email the list to everyone who PMed me their info.

Have a great weekend everyone ! :)

Good idea, sending PM now with info...

thanks for sending me your info guys! I'll wait till tomorrow and then send out whatever I have . I have around 6 people on the list so far. I can just update it as more people add . Hope you are all having a great weekend. Happy 4th of july !

I emailed the phone number info to everyone who PMed me. Let's decide a place and time for the 24th.

DoctorMalki said:
I emailed the phone number info to everyone who PMed me. Let's decide a place and time for the 24th.

Hey Malika,
I went to UCLA too !!
Go Bruins~ :D

I read up on some of the bars and restaurants we could go to on the 24th. My vote would be for either 6th and vine or 4th St. Filling Station. 6th and vine has already gotten two thumbs up, which is enough for me. Hehe! How about 7pm? What are everybody else's thoughts?

Is anyone interested in going?
I'd love to go and hope you guys would come too!
I have never done this in my life so I need your help. All you camping experts, what do I need to bring other than a sleeping bag?

Carolinek83 said:
I have never done this in my life so I need your help. All you camping experts, what do I need to bring other than a sleeping bag?

hey fellow bruin :) I have never done this either but it sounds really exciting. I am not much of an outdoor person but I guess there is a first for everything :) I will probably go, it sounds pretty exciting.

I wish I had more advanced notice than today. I would have gone, but I think I'm going to be getting settled still. Oh well.

Carolinek83 said:

Hey,

I haven't heard anything about the wilderness first aid camp. Can you pass on the info to me or let me know how you heard about it ([email protected]). It sounds like something I'd really like to do!

thanks tons!!

Medikit said:
What did you used to do? I can't remember if you said before.

I am driving over to W-S starting Sunday and will be there on Tuesday. I'll be flying back though on the 10th and will return on the 20th.

I was a computer programmer/analyst.

nockamura said:
I wish I had more advanced notice than today. I would have gone, but I think I'm going to be getting settled still. Oh well.

I know what you mean. I have been here for several days and I think I will still be getting settled well into phase 1. Also, the camping trip is on my wife's birthday, so I am going to skip it. It sounds like a cool experience, but I'm not really into camping anyway.

What: Wilderness Medicine Camping trip
Where: Pisgah National Forest
Who: All current and perspective students
When: Friday/Saturday before the 1st year orientation (July 22nd and 23rd). Meet in front of the med school on Friday at 10AM.

The Wilderness Medicine Group would like to invite you to its Annual Camping Trip Friday and Saturday (July 22nd and 23rd). All current and perspective students are invited. We will be heading out to beautiful Pisgah National Park about 3 hours away. Our campsite will be nestled in Pisgah's gorgeous woods right beside a crystal clear stream (about a 3 minute walk from the Fisheries parking lot). This is a great opportunity to get to know your classmates and meet some of the incoming 1st years. We'll leave Friday morning at 10AM, grab some lunch near the park, and set up the tents. The plan for Friday is a short hike to the top of a mountain with unbelievable scenery, followed by a chill session next to a camp fire (beer and Friday's dinner provided by the club for wilderness medicine purposes). On Saturday we can do some hiking, check out some waterfalls, stop by "sliding rock," a natural rock water slide for all ages, or hit some world class mountain biking trails. We'll be back Saturday night in time for any pre-orientation parties. Please email or call me to RSVP so we know how many cars, tents, food we need to acquire. Also, please let me know if you plan to do any mountain biking so we make sure we have enough bike racks. I'll send out more info soon.

Warmly,
Ron Halpern, MS 2008
Wilderness Medicine Group
Wake Forest School of Medicine
(Cell) 502-291-7629

SAL0320 said:
Hey,

I haven't heard anything about the wilderness first aid camp. Can you pass on the info to me or let me know how you heard about it ([email protected]). It sounds like something I'd really like to do!

thanks tons!!

hey everyone! just a lil note to let all yall know we are trying to organize a lil get together in the ecu/unc thread for july 14th in chapel hill(?!?) in honor of deacons acceptance to wake and everyone elses success! so this is your invitation... don't have all the details arranged yet, but you can check in the ecu/unc 2005 in pre-allo for the DL. or pm me!

*hops over to duke thread to tell them too!*
*crosses fingers that i6 can come*

Hi,

I had signed a lease for an apartment right beside the medical school, but I recently got accepted elsewhere and I have decided to go there. Here are the specs:

Downstairs: Living room/kitchen with bar/full bath
Upstairs: A big bedroom
$450/month plus electricity (landlord pays water)

It is in the backyard of a house that houses 3 current med students, and there are 2 other apartments right beside it (both tenants work at the hospital).

The owners are now looking for someone to fill this spot, so if anyone is still looking for a place, please send me a PM.

Good luck everyone!

erock said:
I agree with DrThom -- stick with cable. Bellsouth DSL is okay, but not as good as cable. I've had both and prefer Earthlink or RR (both with Time Warner). I just hooked up Earthlink cable internet in the house and it's about 4Mbps download/384kbps upload -- $10 cheaper than the highest speed Bellsouth option which only makes it up to 3Mbps down/ 384 up.

If I can only download at 4Mbps with cable, is it worth it to spend the extra money for a g router? I can get a cheaper b router that will still transmit faster than 4Mbps, right?

i61164 said:
If I can only download at 4Mbps with cable, is it worth it to spend the extra money for a g router? I can get a cheaper b router that will still transmit faster than 4Mbps, right?

One reason I would get G is if I were to have other computers on the network. B would be like having 10baseT all over again. The other reason I would go with G over B is if there is the possibility that G could give me better range. I don't really know if that's the case or if it's something that becomes a non-issue in the typical house. Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who is planning on running cat6 to all the bedrooms/TV room in the home he is renting.

You'll probably never see the theoretical maximums of your broadband so 802.11b should be sufficient unless you transmit large files (>300MB) between networked computers. B is fast enough for normal web surfing, etc.

i61164 said:

yea as Medikit and nockamura said, if all you need the router for is to share internet access, b is perfect. I just don't like limiting myself. I'm patiently waiting for gigabyte networking to become more cost effective.

How many of you folks are in Winston now? We should head out to the bars sometime this week. i6 -- I know you posted a while back about being in town with your phone #, I'll try giving you a call this week. If anyone else is already here and wants to hang out, PM me your number.

jllander said:
I read up on some of the bars and restaurants we could go to on the 24th. My vote would be for either 6th and vine or 4th St. Filling Station. 6th and vine has already gotten two thumbs up, which is enough for me. Hehe! How about 7pm? What are everybody else's thoughts?

For the 24th, 6th and vine sounds best to me. 4th street filling station is very nice, but that comes with a price. Their Mahi Mahi is outstanding, though, and worth the money. 7pm works for me. Parking is scarce, so we should try to car pool. They might even be having "alive after five" things going on downtown --- it's either Saturday or Sunday nights. The streets around 6th and vine are blocked off for the bands.

erock said:
For the 24th, 6th and vine sounds best to me. 4th street filling station is very nice, but that comes with a price. Their Mahi Mahi is outstanding, though, and worth the money. 7pm works for me. Parking is scarce, so we should try to car pool. They might even be having "alive after five" things going on downtown --- it's either Saturday or Sunday nights. The streets around 6th and vine are blocked off for the bands.

Sounds good to me. I am not sure how far this is from the med school. I will be around 3 blocks from the school so if it is somewhere far I will need a ride since I don't have a car. If you guys wanna carpool we could meet up at school or something.

I just sent out the updated list via email

DoctorMalki said:
Sounds good to me. I am not sure how far this is from the med school. I will be around 3 blocks from the school so if it is somewhere far I will need a ride since I don't have a car. If you guys wanna carpool we could meet up at school or something.

I just sent out the updated list via email

I can take 3-4 people in my car. Who else will need a ride? We could all meet up at 7pm in front of Watlington hall off Hawthorne (near the bowman-gray statue on the east side of campus).

medCenterCampusMapSmall2.jpg

My roommate and I will probably come in the same car but we can fit 2 more people. So are we meeting at 6:45-ish at school? Oh, another question...does anyone know if all of orientation is business casual or just the first day?

jllander said:
My roommate and I will probably come in the same car but we can fit 2 more people. So are we meeting at 6:45-ish at school? Oh, another question...does anyone know if all of orientation is business casual or just the first day?

Sure, let's meet at 6:45ish-7pm at school and then go from there.

jllander said:

I was wondering about that as well. Urgh, I don't like business casual. Nothing's "casual" even if it says so.
Anyhow,
Does anyone have skateboard tools? I need a wrench for skateboard trucks but don't have one and don't wanna buy one. Skateboard shop is too far from where I live 'cause people in the east cost don't skate.

and, I got a Netgear wireless router but thanks to USPS a few things are missing from the package. Do I need a setup CD or is it just an accessory item that comes w/ the router?

You probably don't need any software because it's in the router itself. Access it via 192.168.0.1 and login: admin and password: password.

erock said:
Sure, let's meet at 6:45ish-7pm at school and then go from there.

Sounds good to me. I'll plan on seeing you guys around 6:45-7ish at the school. I should have room in my car as well. Likely my roommate and I will both come - I'll live very close to the medical school, so if it works better for us to ride with someone else we can do that as well.

Couple other random questions for anyone with answers:

After orientation can we wear nice shorts and stuff like that to school? The bulletin thing is very vague about the dress code.

Do we have to pay tuition prior to orientation, and if so how do you go about doing that?

Thanks!

SAL0320 said:
Sounds good to me. I'll plan on seeing you guys around 6:45-7ish at the school. I should have room in my car as well. Likely my roommate and I will both come - I'll live very close to the medical school, so if it works better for us to ride with someone else we can do that as well.

Couple other random questions for anyone with answers:

After orientation can we wear nice shorts and stuff like that to school? The bulletin thing is very vague about the dress code.

Do we have to pay tuition prior to orientation, and if so how do you go about doing that?

Thanks!
Yeah, I'm curious about the dress code as well. I usually just throw something on and go to class.

As for the tuition, THE told me that they send my financial aid to Wake directly, and Wake subtracts the tuition then gives me the rest. I'm calling tomorrow to see if they can deposit it electronically.

I ate at 4th street filling station too. I got the chicken with brie and spinach and I kind of wish I had gone with the Mahi Mahi. The food there is very good, but it's definitely not the kind of bar that I see us hanging out in. It's a little upscale and the bar area is very small. Do any of these places have pool or foos ball?

Thanks for the advice on the router. I won't be moving data around the network, I only need the router to share an internet connection. From what I've read, b and g have the same range, so that won't really be an issue. I'm going to look for a reliable b router that comes with a mounting bracket in case I want to put it on the ceiling.

I look forward to hanging out with you guys. Call me anytime, home maintenance and yard work have been keeping me pretty busy, but there's always time to hang out.

As for the dress code, I don't know the rules at Wake, but I've been wearing business casual for the last 7 years so I can give you a rough idea:

No shorts, jeans, sneakers, sandals, T-shirts, clothing with writing/symbols (except mini polo player or mini aligator), no athletic gear, workout clothes.

Every day I wore khakis, a polo shirt or button down shirt, and black or brown shoes. Short sleeves are fine and shirts don't have to be tucked in (unless the shirt is scalloped and obviously meant to be tucked in).

Women have slightly more flexibility because they can wear a skirt or pants.

If you have specific questions that I didn't cover, post it and I will give my opinion or maybe one of the upperclassmen will give an answer.

erock said:
yea as Medikit and nockamura said, if all you need the router for is to share internet access, b is perfect. I just don't like limiting myself. I'm patiently waiting for gigabyte networking to become more cost effective.

How many of you folks are in Winston now? We should head out to the bars sometime this week. i6 -- I know you posted a while back about being in town with your phone #, I'll try giving you a call this week. If anyone else is already here and wants to hang out, PM me your number.

Also, no hats.

i61164 said:
Also, no hats.
crap ... guess the fez stays home.

i61164 said:
Do any of these places have pool or foos ball?
Black Bear pub on Burke street has foos ball and 2 pool tables -- one priced by the hour and the other takes 3 quarters/game. There's also a really cool looking billiards pub by Speakeasy jazz downtown that I've been meaning to check out. Oh yea, and Speakeasy has Salsa dance lessons every Tuesday evening starting at 8pm -- lots of fun.

Talking to a girl who just started her third year there really isn't a dress code but you will want to wear something nice (shirt and tie for guys) when you meet with patients. I'm sure we will all be looking pretty grubby by the end of the year. I just got back to Chico from W-S after signing a lease, I'll be back in NC after the 20th if anyone wants to get together. The people I met from our class were really kind and friendly. I met a girl from Alaska, a 19 year-old from WA, and a friendly NC native who grabbed my cheek in a successful attempt to embarass me. I definitely have high hopes for our class.

I think I'll go with jeans and a t-shirt. If they have a problem, then hopefully there will be some sort of warning system.

Hey!

It's been awhile but I just got back from W-S yesterday trying to get my new place set up. It's not quite there but I am permanently back on the 20th.

Anyway, I don't think I'm gonna go on the camping shindig cause there are some loose ends I wanna tie up before school starts (not to mention relax before school!) but if anyone's wanting to hang out before our get together on the 24th, that would be cool.

I'm thinking about maybe cooking some big dinner some night between 20th and 24th (Yes, I do cook..) and having people over. Would anyone be interested??

DrThom said:
Hey!

It's been awhile but I just got back from W-S yesterday trying to get my new place set up. It's not quite there but I am permanently back on the 20th.

Anyway, I don't think I'm gonna go on the camping shindig cause there are some loose ends I wanna tie up before school starts (not to mention relax before school!) but if anyone's wanting to hang out before our get together on the 24th, that would be cool.

I'm thinking about maybe cooking some big dinner some night between 20th and 24th (Yes, I do cook..) and having people over. Would anyone be interested??

I'm always up for some home cookin'. Just tell me when and where! Also, The Opera House may be a good option. 4 dart boards/2 pool tables, plenty of room, a little low key, stiff drinks. Just another option. I'll be up there around the 19th or so, see yall then.

Alright, I have a question for anyone who may know. I shipped my car from California and it has just arrived in Durham, NC. Yay!!! But my question is, do I need to change my plates? I believe, that according to North Carolina laws, I am a temporary resident because I'm a student. Does this mean I can keep my California plates? Anyone know or done this before?!? Thanks!