Wake Forest Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CharlieVN

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty set on the move to Winston-Salem. I know I can't be the only one!

Demon Deacons Represent!!! Maybe we can mourn that double OT loss together... :(

Members don't see this ad.

CharlieVN said:
I'm pretty set on the move to Winston-Salem. I know I can't be the only one!

Demon Deacons Represent!!! Maybe we can mourn that double OT loss together... :(

That was a tough loss. WVU beats Wake and yet we are both accepted to Wake and waitlisted at WVU.

I'm excited to be joining Wake Forest Emergency Medicine c/o 2008. Are any of the medical studs. looking to buy rather than rent? If so, let me know if you know anything about neighborhoods, etc in W-S.

Go Deacons!

Members don't see this ad :)
EPA7X1 said:
I'm excited to be joining Wake Forest Emergency Medicine c/o 2008. Are any of the medical studs. looking to buy rather than rent? If so, let me know if you know anything about neighborhoods, etc in W-S.

Go Deacons!

I'm looking to buy -- found a few houses in the Ardmore area, but they're selling like hotcakes. Any other areas you recommend?

Wake's defense was frantic in those fatal minutes in OT. That was a tough game to watch for a future demon deacon.

erock said:
I'm looking to buy -- found a few houses in the Ardmore area, but they're selling like hotcakes. Any other areas you recommend?

Wake's defense was frantic in those fatal minutes in OT. That was a tough game to watch for a future demon deacon.

I got a big map and started marking locations. There are plenty of houses online in the 130K range within 7 or so miles of the medical center that are new and nice. I am trying to contact a current resident to find out about the area. I'll let you know.

Congrats on your acceptance! The next four years will fly by!

EPA7X1 said:
I got a big map and started marking locations. There are plenty of houses online in the 130K range within 7 or so miles of the medical center that are new and nice. I am trying to contact a current resident to find out about the area. I'll let you know.

Don't you guys think that it's a little risky to buy? We may only be in W-S for 4 years. With all of the fees associated with buying and selling it could be tough to make money in such a short time. You could even lose money. Plus, as full time students we will have no income. You can't deduct mortgage interest on your taxes if you have no income. Also, what if you need to make a major repair or replace an appliance?

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of it. I myself have considered buying and these are some of the concerns that I have.

i61164 said:
Don't you guys think that it's a little risky to buy? We may only be in W-S for 4 years. With all of the fees associated with buying and selling it could be tough to make money in such a short time. You could even lose money. Plus, as full time students we will have no income. You can't deduct mortgage interest on your taxes if you have no income. Also, what if you need to make a major repair or replace an appliance? I'm not trying to talk anyone out of it. I myself have considered buying and these are some of the concerns that I have.

If you are in W-S for four years and you pay rent, then you lose money. If you buy you can reasonably hope to sell for a profit. As a student with no income the question is more valid. For a resident, it is almost a no-brainer.

In my experience, Real Estate in small southern cities is often a good investment. The population of these cities is growing as people realize the benefits. I will likely not have too much pressure to sell the house, when I am an attending, considering the house will cost ~700$/month and I will likely have 15,000/month pre-tax income. Everyone's situation is unique, however. But I am reasonably certain that if I choose my location carefully, I will profit when I sell. And if I decide to stay in the area, I'll benefit from the deal.

You have to consider factors such as: Do I intend to move 'back home' when I finish/where do I want to do my residency, etc? What kind of loans can I get? I agree that buying might not be for everyone.

I rented as a student and have seen my peers who bought houses profit while I have been a tenant and can not possibly get any of that money back. Probably not even my security deposit.

As far as repairs go, I'm not even considering houses >5 years old. I think that cuts the risk. New homes come with a 1 year warranty, if I'm not mistaken.

If there is anything I'm missing here, let me know.

Originally Posted by EPA7X1

Thanks! I'm excited about Wake. Congrats on your match!

Originally Posted by i61164
Don't you guys think that it's a little risky to buy? We may only be in W-S for 4 years. With all of the fees associated with buying and selling it could be tough to make money in such a short time. You could even lose money. Plus, as full time students we will have no income. You can't deduct mortgage interest on your taxes if you have no income. Also, what if you need to make a major repair or replace an appliance? I'm not trying to talk anyone out of it. I myself have considered buying and these are some of the concerns that I have.

Like EPA7X1 said, you'll be loosing money if you rent. The housing market in W-S is affordable and fluid, largly because of the residents who buy and sell homes surrounding the medical center. Even after having a home for 4 years, you'll build up a nice amount of equity. Even at a conservative estimate of 1 or 2% appreciation a year, you'll be making about $4000 - $8000 profit when you sell (assuming a $100k home).

Repair-wise, anything major is usually taken care of by the seller after you have an inspector thoroughly examine the home. Most existing-home sales come with a 1 year warranty where any major problems (roof, structure, termites, etc.) are covered by the previous owner. There is a risk involved in buying, but from what I hear it is one of the safest investments to make.

I will be in Wake's MD-PhD program, so I'll have income from the stipend to gain tax benefits.

Are most people using a real estate agent or buying direct from owners? I am seriously considering buying. I would at least be able to get a nice deduction on my 2005 taxes because I will have worked for half of this year.

Some of my reservations about buying come from the fact that Wake only budgets $480/month for housing. I don't know if I can come up with a large enough down payment to make my monthly payment that low.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that I can rent something for $480 and I won't have to worry about foreclosure, repairs, etc.

The other consideration for me is eligibility for scholarships. Wake might offer me some scholarship money and I'm not sure if owning a home would affect that. I'm sure I'll get an answer to this in the next couple of months.

I know that renting is a waste of money and I really do want to buy. It just seems like a scary proposition to me. A house is a big financial responsibility and I will be living on a fixed (and tight) budget. However, talking to you guys is helping me to get more comfortable with the idea.

On an unrelated note: Does anyone know anything about a 2nd look weekend? I haven't heard anything yet.

I'm using a real estate agent to help close the deal. Since this is my first time buying, I wanted an expert to help make sure everything goes smoothly. Its a lot easier to just tell her what houses I want to see and she can contact sellers to organize the viewings. Plus, it doesn't cost me anything. Her commission fee is paid by the seller (~3%). I can PM you my realtor's info if you want.

I haven't heard anything about a second look weekend, I'm not even sure Wake has an official one. When I was accepted, I asked to re-visit the school and meet with some current students and faculty members to make sure it was where I wanted to go. They were accommodating to the request.

It would be nice to get together with the entering class, but I'm not sure if we have a huge SDN class.

i61164 said:
Are most people using a real estate agent or buying direct from owners? I am seriously considering buying. I would at least be able to get a nice deduction on my 2005 taxes because I will have worked for half of this year.

Some of my reservations about buying come from the fact that Wake only budgets $480/month for housing. I don't know if I can come up with a large enough down payment to make my monthly payment that low.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that I can rent something for $480 and I won't have to worry about foreclosure, repairs, etc.

The other consideration for me is eligibility for scholarships. Wake might offer me some scholarship money and I'm not sure if owning a home would affect that. I'm sure I'll get an answer to this in the next couple of months.

I know that renting is a waste of money and I really do want to buy. It just seems like a scary proposition to me. A house is a big financial responsibility and I will be living on a fixed (and tight) budget. However, talking to you guys is helping me to get more comfortable with the idea.

On an unrelated note: Does anyone know anything about a 2nd look weekend? I haven't heard anything yet.
I think you have my vote for one of the best signatures on SDN...

ps.. sorry bout the wake loss, maybe next year. They couldn't get it done with Duncan either....

virilep said:
I think you have my vote for one of the best signatures on SDN...

ps.. sorry bout the wake loss, maybe next year. They couldn't get it done with Duncan either....

Thanks.

At least they didn't go down without a fight. Even when it looked like they were done for sure they kept trying to come back.

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations on your acceptances.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
BTW, I bought a house but I am a little further from the school. I live in an area called Clemmons. I also have a wife and baby. Most people live in the ardmore area. Walking distance to school.

Considering how cheap houses are in the area you would be crazy to rent. You will get none of that money back in equity.

Hey Did everyone here apply to Wake's Institutional Aid? Wondering how a middle-class asian would do... :laugh:

CharlieVN said:
Hey Did everyone here apply to Wake's Institutional Aid? Wondering how a middle-class asian would do... :laugh:

Wow. There's been no action on this thread in ages. You guys still out there? I'm still freaking out about the housing situation. I took a trip to W-S a couple weeks ago and the properties that I looked at were dismal (rentals). It seems like it will cost me ~$700/month for something big enough for my family. If I'm gonna spend that much anyway, I might as well buy. I need to talk to a real estate agent.

i61164 said:
Wow. There's been no action on this thread in ages. You guys still out there? I'm still freaking out about the housing situation. I took a trip to W-S a couple weeks ago and the properties that I looked at were dismal (rentals). It seems like it will cost me ~$700/month for something big enough for my family. If I'm gonna spend that much anyway, I might as well buy. I need to talk to a real estate agent.

Hey i6,
I agree with you on the rental housing situation -- fortunately buying is affordable in W-S. I've been working with a realtor from Prudential who's been very helpful, I'll PM her info to you.

Does anyone know if classes start exactly on July 25th? That seems early.

Congrats to everyone accepted. We look forward to meeting all of you. Buying or renting there are plenty of options and plenty of people with experience either way. I personally rent... but that is because I am a single guy living totally on loans. Buying definitely has its virtues though. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me or ask here. Oh and just for the record don't listen to anything dsblaha has to say... just kidding

erock said:
Hey i6,
I agree with you on the rental housing situation -- fortunately buying is affordable in W-S. I've been working with a realtor from Prudential who's been very helpful, I'll PM her info to you.

Does anyone know if classes start exactly on July 25th? That seems early.

Thanks for the info. I doubt that classes begin right away. We will probably have a few days of orientation stuff first. I know that some schools do a whole week of orientation before setting foot in class.

themann said:
Congrats to everyone accepted. We look forward to meeting all of you. Buying or renting there are plenty of options and plenty of people with experience either way. I personally rent... but that is because I am a single guy living totally on loans. Buying definitely has its virtues though. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me or ask here. Oh and just for the record don't listen to anything dsblaha has to say... just kidding

Hmmm. . . I guess it is too easy to figure out who I am. I should change my user name because if you know who I am you will immediately know that I am full of it.

Anyhow, when I suggested that you buy instead of rent I assumed that anyone who is considering buying is married or has a significant other who works, who can make a mortgage payment. Otherwise, unless you have a lot to put down it would be hard to make the payment.

There is a week of orientation, so classes don't start immediately. But orientation is mandatory so you will have to be here. Classes actually start the first week of August. Last year it was August 2nd.

Yeah, my wife and I found that any apartments/houses that were big enough for us (we have a 2 yr old daughter) were much more expensive than $480. So, if my wife will have to work either way, we might as well buy. It seems to me that we can get more house for the money if we buy.

For you single folks, you can get a really nice place for around $350 with roommates. Roomates aren't such a good option if you have a wife and kid though.

My classmates that are married with kids (one has a 2yr old daughter like you) rent houses. My other married friends without kids own houses. I don't know if this means anything but I noticed the coincidence while reading the last post. Being single is more flexible in terms of roommates... of course. Luckily there really are plenty of options to fit just about any need.

themann said:
My classmates that are married with kids (one has a 2yr old daughter like you) rent houses. My other married friends without kids own houses. I don't know if this means anything but I noticed the coincidence while reading the last post. Being single is more flexible in terms of roommates... of course. Luckily there really are plenty of options to fit just about any need.

Maybe the married couples with no kids had more money saved. :laugh:

Did any of you guys get your financial aid packages yet? Which lender are you using? I chose Citibank. It seems like they have the best incentives.

I got my info about orientation this weekend. I knew that I would have to get vaccinated against Hep B, but it looks like I can just wait until I get to Wake and have it done right there at Baptist. I will have to go to my doctor to get some proof that I am immune to chickenpox and to get a Tuberculosis test though.

What else was interesting?

How about the laptop? It looks nice, but the screen is a little smaller than I would like. 14".

I read that there are $600 of required textbooks. I wonder if we can get them cheaper online or get hand-me-downs. I'm not buying any books until I have to. I've gotten by the whole last year without buying a text book.

I like how they tell you not to bother studying this summer. You don't have to tell me twice. :clap:

i61164 said:
How about the laptop? It looks nice, but the screen is a little smaller than I would like. 14".
How 'bout that fingerprint biometric password/security lock?? Login with your finger! That is some cool technology.

i61164 said:
I wonder if we can get them cheaper online or get hand-me-downs.
I hope so --- maybe ebay/half.com

i61164 said:
I like how they tell you not to bother studying this summer. You don't have to tell me twice. :clap:
Agreed ... takes all the guilt away while I'm sippin mai tai's on the beach.

erock said:
How 'bout that fingerprint biometric password/security lock?? Login with your finger! That is some cool technology.

:cool: It's like James Bond 007. One thing I like about Wake is that they are all about high-tech. I hear that we get spoiled at Baptist because the facilities are so nice. We might just have to stick around for residencies.

Don't buy any textbooks before you get here. For that matter I don't think I would buy any textbooks period. Textbooks are a total waste of money... you will never have the time to read them. The only books I have purchased lately are review type books. And I buy everything online, the bookstore is a rip off. If you are really paranoid and have to buy the text books there are plenty of students who will sell you theirs (cause... thats right they don't use them and they just sit there and collect dust). When you guys get here for orientation there will be plenty of people to talk your ears off about the does and don'ts of first year.

Our Academic Computing department is very good. They do a good job of getting good computers and putting the right stuff on them. You guys are basically getting the newer version of the laptops we got last year (with the biometrics, etc)... I really like our laptops. Just the right combination of size and power.

themann said:
Don't buy any textbooks before you get here. For that matter I don't think I would buy any textbooks period. Textbooks are a total waste of money... you will never have the time to read them. The only books I have purchased lately are review type books. And I buy everything online, the bookstore is a rip off. If you are really paranoid and have to buy the text books there are plenty of students who will sell you theirs (cause... thats right they don't use them and they just sit there and collect dust). When you guys get here for orientation there will be plenty of people to talk your ears off about the does and don'ts of first year.

Our Academic Computing department is very good. They do a good job of getting good computers and putting the right stuff on them. You guys are basically getting the newer version of the laptops we got last year (with the biometrics, etc)... I really like our laptops. Just the right combination of size and power.

That's what I like to hear. I had no intention of buying any books, but then the info packet that we just received suggested that some books would be required. If that turns out to be true, I will try to borrow any required books from upperclassmen.

Hello everyone! I'm heading to Winston-Salem this July 2005! Is anyone out there going to Wake Forest this fall from California? I am so stressed about the move. Anyone looking for a roommate? Hehehe! I look forward to meeting all of you July 25! Yay for Wake Forest!

I used to live in San Diego years ago, but now I live in Charlotte so it will be a very short move for me. I just received a packet of info from Wake and there is a form you can fill out if you want a roommate. Wake will do their best to facilitate. There is also a housing section on their website and I think there are listings for "roommate wanted." Good luck with the move. I recommend that you only bring the bare essentials since it's such a long move. Leave the rest behind if you can.

Do any of you wear glasses? I am wondering if I should look into getting prescription goggles for anatomy lab.

I don't wear glasses or contacts, but plenty of my classmates do. I wouldn't worry about the prescription goggles. I don't think you would need them. Lab isn't usually that chaotic and messy and I don't ever remember getting anything in my eyes. I think they tell us not to wear contacts, but I can't remember. They tell us a lot of things like don't wear open-toed shoes that no one listens to. I would maybe check it out first and then make a decision before wasting any money.

One of my classmates moved out from Cali, I for one drove from Utah so I am familiar with the long drive. We just packed our cars as full as we could and left everything else behind. My married classmates that had to move 2000+ miles bought space on ABF trucks, packed their stuff, loaded onto the truck, drove out to Winston in their cars and got their stuff off the truck when it arrived.

Hey, everyone, thanks for the advice about a California move. I'm in contact with a second year at Wake who moved from Northern California and she recommended shipping my car on a closed car carrier and then flying out. I think that's what I'm gonna do. It's kind of expensive but saves me the hassle of driving out. I can also pack my car all the way to the top since there won't be anyone riding in it. I got the pre-enrollment packet this weekend and have already sent in the paper about roommates. I'm just such a planner and it's bugging me that I don't know yet. But all in due time I suppose. :)

Shipping the car is a good idea. I did that once and everything worked out well. It is pricy, though. I would double check with the moving company that they allow you to pack things in your car. The company I used required the car to be empty.

jllander said:
Hey, everyone, thanks for the advice about a California move. I'm in contact with a second year at Wake who moved from Northern California and she recommended shipping my car on a closed car carrier and then flying out. I think that's what I'm gonna do. It's kind of expensive but saves me the hassle of driving out. I can also pack my car all the way to the top since there won't be anyone riding in it. I got the pre-enrollment packet this weekend and have already sent in the paper about roommates. I'm just such a planner and it's bugging me that I don't know yet. But all in due time I suppose. :)

i61164 said:
Do any of you wear glasses? I am wondering if I should look into getting prescription goggles for anatomy lab.

I think the big goggles have enough room for you to wear glasses under them. I could be wrong, though.

erock said:
I think the big goggles have enough room for you to wear glasses under them. I could be wrong, though.

I know, it's more of a comfort issue than anything. I'm not real crazy about the big goggles with elastic that leave a red line on your forehead and under your eyes. A friend of mine that worked in a lab had some goggles that were a lot like regular glasses but they had little shields on the sides. I imagine that they could be made with a prescription, but it probably would be expensive. It's probably not worth it if I'd only be using them for a few weeks, but if I was going to be using them for a long time it might be worth it.

i61164 said:
big goggles with elastic that leave a red line on your forehead and under your eyes.

Ah yea, I forgot about that -- adds a little unwanted texture to the face. I remember now that they weren't comfortable.

So I got an email today from the Admissions office. It is the first "edition" of the roommate list. There are only two people on it thus far so I'm hoping there are others out there looking for housing. But the hunt has begun!! When are you guys going to be moving to Winston-Salem? I'm thinking maybe July 20. I am so excited to meet you all!

Hey Guys!

I am currently making a tough tough decision between wake forest and a couple of other schools. So I could be a member of the class of 2009 and I will DEFINATELY be looking for a roommate so watch out! Hey, give me some good reasons to choose wake over the other schools (UIC/Ohio State). I am more than open to some convincing.

PEACE

DrThom said:
Hey Guys!

I am currently making a tough tough decision between wake forest and a couple of other schools. So I could be a member of the class of 2009 and I will DEFINATELY be looking for a roommate so watch out! Hey, give me some good reasons to choose wake over the other schools (UIC/Ohio State). I am more than open to some convincing.

PEACE

Well, Wake gives you a free computer and printer your first year. That was an incentive for me. It's really cheap to live in Winston-Salem. (I'm from La Jolla, CA, it's outrageous to live here.) It has one of the prettiest hospitals/schools I have seen. Although, Ohio has a pretty campus too. I got accepted at UIC but Chicago freaked me out. NC is just a really pretty place to live. It has the feel of a small town but has all the things you would get from a decent sized city (i.e. malls, restaurants) The anatomy lab at Wake Forest is really cool, especially with the flat screen monitors over ever table so you can look up histology slides and x-rays. Good luck with your decision!

These decisions can be difficult. I chose Wake mainly based on curriculum and location -- well the free laptop was a nice plus too. And I agree with jllander, the anatomy lab was the nicest I had seen at any of the schools I visited.

erock said:
These decisions can be difficult. I chose Wake mainly based on curriculum and location -- well the free laptop was a nice plus too. And I agree with jllander, the anatomy lab was the nicest I had seen at any of the schools I visited.
Yeah, actually, that was another thing. I really liked the curriculum. It's organ based all second year. And during the first year, for the first four or five months, all you do is anatomy and histology. It's just really intense but it's all you do academically. Then the second half of first year is biochem, genetics, mol. bio., etc. The whole curriculum really appealed to my method of learning.

jllander said:
Yeah, actually, that was another thing. I really liked the curriculum. It's organ based all second year. And during the first year, for the first four or five months, all you do is anatomy and histology. It's just really intense but it's all you do academically. Then the second half of first year is biochem, genetics, mol. bio., etc. The whole curriculum really appealed to my method of learning.

Yeah I really liked that aspect too. That's why I'm trying not to let myself get too excited as I'm still on the waitlist.

jllander said:
Well, Wake gives you a free computer and printer your first year. That was an incentive for me. It's really cheap to live in Winston-Salem. (I'm from La Jolla, CA, it's outrageous to live here.) It has one of the prettiest hospitals/schools I have seen. Although, Ohio has a pretty campus too. I got accepted at UIC but Chicago freaked me out. NC is just a really pretty place to live. It has the feel of a small town but has all the things you would get from a decent sized city (i.e. malls, restaurants) The anatomy lab at Wake Forest is really cool, especially with the flat screen monitors over ever table so you can look up histology slides and x-rays. Good luck with your decision!

You're given a laptop but for 40 grand a year I would hardly call it "free" :p :p :p

It is a tough decision. The anatomy lab was really cool and I loved the weather when I was there (it was early december but the weather was so mild, I LOVED IT!)

Decisions, decisions...

DrThom said:
You're given a laptop but for 40 grand a year I would hardly call it "free" :p :p :p

It is a tough decision. The anatomy lab was really cool and I loved the weather when I was there (it was early december but the weather was so mild, I LOVED IT!)

Decisions, decisions...

Well when I finally made my decision, it was between two schools, Wake and George Washington. GW was like $48,000 a year and no computer plus either a massive commute or $200/mo. for parking. At Wake, it's $34,000 for tuition, a computer, printer and $15/mo. parking. For me I thought I came out way on top. I agree though...it's one of the toughest decisions I made.

Does anyone know what Wake's match list was like this past match?

DrThom said:

Decisions, decisions...

My thoughts exactly. The word "free" does not really apply here. I would say it's "included" in the tuition. The total budget at Wake is $50K (according to the FA package that I recently received). It's not cheap, but it's actually not that bad for a private school. I know some people that are paying $55-$60K to go to other privates or even state schools from out-of-state.

Ortho (3): Duke, Wake Forest, UCLA-Harbour
Derm (1): Vandy
Plastics (1): Loma Linda
Emergency Medicine (9): U Pitt, U Chicago, Cook County, Boston Med, OHSU, Wake, Maryland Peds/EM, Mayo
Rads (6): Wake, Mayo, Maryland, Syracuse, UC Davis
ENT (1): Univ Utah
Urology (1): UT-Southwestern
Rad/Onc (1): Wake
Gen Surgery (4): Wake, UAB
Medicine (14): Duke, U Washington, Northwestern (2), UNC, Colorado, Lenox Hill (2), Indiana (2), UC Davis
Anesthesia (19...yes that's right 19): Wake (7), Duke, BWH, Mich, Mayo, U San Diego
Optho (5): NYU, U South Carolina, Missouri, Georgetown, OHSU
Ob/Gyn (3): Rochester, U Ariz, MCP
Peds (11): Wake (5), Vanderbilt, U Mich, Duke, Indiana, Stanford
Neurology (4): Vandy, Boston U, UC Davis, Mayo
FP (7): UNC, UCSF, U Colo
Path (2): VCU, New Mexico
Med/Peds (2): U Cinn, Bay State

All talks of money and computers aside.....Wake Forest is a really great school! I'm excited.

jllander said:
And during the first year, for the first four or five months, all you do is anatomy and histology.

Actually it's 3 months.