Thanks for the doom & gloom threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utlonghorns1993666

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know nobody really cares, but I really appreciate all the doom and gloom threads. I wasted 3 years of my life (2 of undergrad and 1 year of pharmacy school) hating my life. The job market, unhappiness of pharmacists, crappy job conditions, etc really made me question my choice to pursue pharmacy as a career.

I decided to go back to my cheap undergrad to pursue a comp sci degree and eat the ~12k of debt from pharmacy school. I'm gonna be graduating a year earlier than I would've from pharmacy school with 100k less debt, much more happiness, and a few internships from some pretty big name companies. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me jump ship because I've done a 180 in terms of my happiness, job satisfaction, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 19 users
Actually, some of us do care. I don't regret going through pharmacy, but it's a bad deal right now, and if I faced your circumstances, I wouldn't do it. So, glad it helped.

One small piece of advice, if you are a UT Longhorn, consider going out of your way a little bit and take the true BS option, and with the major requirements, take the serious version of Linear Algebra/Matrices offered and definitely take the Compilers/Assembly elective unless you have a very good reason not to.

Reactions: 2 users
What is your opinion about the constant learning requirement to be competent in CS?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know nobody really cares, but I really appreciate all the doom and gloom threads. I wasted 3 years of my life (2 of undergrad and 1 year of pharmacy school) hating my life. The job market, unhappiness of pharmacists, crappy job conditions, etc really made me question my choice to pursue pharmacy as a career.

I decided to go back to my cheap undergrad to pursue a comp sci degree and eat the ~12k of debt from pharmacy school. I'm gonna be graduating a year earlier than I would've from pharmacy school with 100k less debt, much more happiness, and a few internships from some pretty big name companies. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me jump ship because I've done a 180 in terms of my happiness, job satisfaction, etc.
Good job.

You either learn tech until your hair is grey and then you get disenfranchised, or you learn people (management) or "vision" (architecture) and then disenfranchise grey haired programmers.
So true. Still beats listen getting chewed out by some mad patient because there copay was more than what it was last time.

Reactions: 3 users
It's not like older pharmacists don't get disenfranchised. Many of them are being replaced with desperate new grads with $200k+ in loans for much lower pay.

Reactions: 4 users
Good job OP. They are not doom and gloom threads though, they are facts and reality.

Reactions: 5 users
When I spoke to a friend who works at Rite Aid. He was pushed back into the floating pool and his spot was filled by a friendly new grad. The new grad was faster, could do all the immunizations and was paid less. He on the other hand had to float and was only offered 3-4 days a week. His district manager told him since he could not do immunizations, that was the best he could get.

Thank you for validating my existence.

When I spoke to a friend who works at Rite Aid. He was pushed back into the floating pool and his spot was filled by a friendly new grad. The new grad was faster, could do all the immunizations and was paid less. He on the other hand had to float and was only offered 3-4 days a week. His district manager told him since he could not do immunizations, that was the best he could get.
Then learn to do immunizations

Reactions: 6 users

It takes a couple of days and like 800$. If that’s what’s holding him back, he should just do it. He’ll recoup the money spent in one paycheck lol

That's better than the ultimatum WM pharmacists without certification got: immunize or get displaced.

Reactions: 1 users
So he won’t get certified to do a necessary part of the job and he can still work 3-4 days per week?

Jesus some of the things that are said in these threads make me question people’s critical thinking skills. There are 200 pharmacists certified to give immunizations ready to take that job. Your friend should be thankful they have a job at all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
It's literally a one day thing. Just get the stupid cert. I have zero pity for someone that lazy.

Exactly my point, said in more brutally honest terms. I’m surprised dude is even employed. Like what does he do during his shift? Is he turning away people wanting immunizations? That’s pretty bad if you ask me tbh.

Reactions: 1 users
Exactly my point, said in more brutally honest terms. I’m surprised dude is even employed. Like what does he do during his shift? Is he turning away people wanting immunizations? That’s pretty bad if you ask me tbh.

I literally fainted during a lab at the sight of blood (ask anyone in my class, lol) and still managed to be able to do this a few hundred times a year.