The Safe Place (TM)(R) Thread for Jobless grads and pharmacists "between jobs"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any suggestions for a job in the medical field that a pharmacist in between jobs with alot of experience would be qualified for? Realize pay may be real low. Ive researched jobs such as billing and coding, but even those require experience in that field.

Members don't see this ad.

any suggestions for a job in the medical field that a pharmacist in between jobs with alot of experience would be qualified for? Realize pay may be real low. Ive researched jobs such as billing and coding, but even those require experience in that field.
The skillset of a pharmacist is extremely linear. All we do is count by fives or look things up on Lexicomp. Of course that doesn’t translate to things like billing and coding. I’m sure people will try to spin it though, since you see retail pharmacists put things on their resumes such as “understands Medicare, Medicaid and highly experienced with billing insurance.”

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The skillset of a pharmacist is extremely linear. All we do is count by fives or look things up on Lexicomp. Of course that doesn’t translate to things like billing and coding. I’m sure people will try to spin it though, since you see retail pharmacists put things on their resumes such as “understands Medicare, Medicaid and highly experienced with billing insurance.”
I see your problem now, you didn't learn anything

Who looks things up?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Who looks things up?
Can’t tell if you’re trolling, in denial or something else. Take away Clinical Pharmacology and ask any retail pharmacist to field any medication questions or stand in the OTC section for a day and see how that goes. Take away Lexicomp and ask any hospital staff or “clinical” pharmacist questions about dosing, IV compatibility, drug interactions or indications and see how that goes. You don’t graduate pharmacy school and “magically” know everything about drugs — heck, you probably don’t even remember your top 200 brand/generic names (heck, I don’t because all I learned in school was generic names).

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Who looks things up?
I didn't look anything up. But in a globalized and internet world this is what we are getting. It's going to get worse for people who can't adapt. It's Information Age and you can teach yourself a Ivy League from a website. Many people are starting to understand this and schools are losing money. Dosing is what you typically see when you practice or when you order a med honestly. You don't have time to lexicomp every min. And who is paying subscription for that . A lot of math people do counting with bigger data and some have to look stuff up in other fields. As technology and new meds come you need to check even more in a fast pace world

Lawyers don't reference every law but they need to look stuff up. So do phds. No one person holds everything including your professors. With continuing education is there a lot more looking stuff up. Technology is there to make your life easier. Ask a non pharmacy setting person to try and run a pharmacy.

Anyways give yourself some credit. Even with no internet I'm sure people will remember things. Or go to your reference book. Try asking other people about doses and you will quickly see how much you know.

If you’re okay with taking a pay cut, there’s being a clinical research coordinator. You would monitor, train, and assess subjects through a research study and gather information or you could also be on the unblinded team and perhaps either administer investigational medication or dispense investigational medication to the subjects. Skills like taking blood pressure, phlebotomy, vaccine administration, and recording medical history are valued. Computer skills are a must. Pay varies from $45k-$90k depending on your role and experience. As a pharmacist, you could negotiate a higher rate. With enough experience and good reputation, you could get your foot in the door with big pharma, BARDA, FDA, etc. Look into being a CRC—- I think it’s a great career path that has many possibilities afterwards, but is also extremely rewarding in and of itself. Note: this job requires a lot of documentation. If you hate paperwork, this is the worst job in the world for you. If you have neat handwriting and take pleasure in documenting EVERYTHING, this is your dream job.

So you cheated through school and boards and all of your rotations? Ok.
And do you work in retail? Because you have SUCH an understanding of how retail pharmacists work. You’re probably a Walgreens store manager or technician trolling here.

Can’t tell if you’re trolling, in denial or something else. Take away Clinical Pharmacology and ask any retail pharmacist to field any medication questions or stand in the OTC section for a day and see how that goes. Take away Lexicomp and ask any hospital staff or “clinical” pharmacist questions about dosing, IV compatibility, drug interactions or indications and see how that goes. You don’t graduate pharmacy school and “magically” know everything about drugs — heck, you probably don’t even remember your top 200 brand/generic names (heck, I don’t because all I learned in school was generic names).
You seriously don't know brand/generics?

Did you go to one of those pop up schools?

Everything is coming together with why you have your perspective.

You seriously don't know brand/generics?

Did you go to one of those pop up schools?

Everything is coming together with why you have your perspective.
Ain’t nobody got the time to memorize all the different brand names for combo HTN drugs. Also, how about you try reciting the brand/generic names of all the oral contraceptives? I’ll sit right here and eat my popcorn while you do that.

Ain’t nobody got the time to memorize all the different brand names for combo HTN drugs. Also, how about you try reciting the brand/generic names of all the oral contraceptives? I’ll sit right here and eat my popcorn while you do that.

Wait you memorize? You should LEARN them.

Memorization typically doesn't stick very long.

I continue to see why you struggle.

I am trying to keep this as civil as possible but this is embarrassing. A customer should be able to say Tenormin and you should know what the generic is. You do know the generic right? Customers will continue to say drugs for years after a generic comes out.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I am trying to keep this as civil as possible but this is embarrassing. A customer should be able to say Tenormin and you should know what the generic is. You do know the generic right? Customers will continue to say drugs for years after a generic comes out.
It’s presumptuous of you to assume I’m struggling and you’re debating semantics here. Learn/memorize — same thing. My original point is that no pharmacist doesn’t need to look things up and you’ve started personal attacks on me? Get off your retail high chair bro.

It’s presumptuous of you to assume I’m struggling and you’re debating semantics here. Learn/memorize — same thing. My original point is that no pharmacist doesn’t need to look things up and you’ve started personal attacks on me? Get off your retail high chair bro.
Just stop belittling our profession.

Just stop belittling our profession.
You are the epitome of everything that’s wrong with our profession. Keep trying to defend retail while jobs are being cut— It’s clear as day that the skillset of retail pharmacists do not add value in the eyes of an employer but go ahead and keep defending your archaic definition of pharmacy. I know it takes some humbling to let go of personal biases when you’ve worked in something for so long but times have changed dude. This isn’t the 2000’s where the skillset of a community pharmacist actually meant something.

You are the epitome of everything that’s wrong with our profession. Keep trying to defend retail while jobs are being cut— It’s clear as day that the skillset of retail pharmacists do not add value in the eyes of an employer but go ahead and keep defending your archaic definition of pharmacy. I know it takes some humbling to let go of personal biases when you’ve worked in something for so long but times have changed dude. This isn’t the 2000’s where the skillset of a community pharmacist actually meant something.

Or if you actually tried in school, you could show your worth.

You are part of the problem with our profession. You are one of the thousands of students that got in to these easy schools.

Don't blame me, I enjoy what I'm doing. Sorry that you don't.

Just the other day I had a 15 minute conversation over the pharmacokinetics of a drug a customer was on. If you were able to do this maybe you would enjoy your job more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Too much internal bs in the profession. We’re a joke.
Pharmacist make fun of each other here so much I feel degraded to call myself a pharmacist lol. It's why I'm switching fields. Then I get attacked you won't make it. Well I took my first risk, higher the risk higher the return. I'll come back next time

If you had a 15 minute conversation about PK and 4-5 other people aren't pissed about waiting for mandatory consultation, be grateful for what you have

If you had a 15 minute conversation about PK and 4-5 other people aren't pissed about waiting for mandatory consultation, be grateful for what you have

It was over the phone, don't worry I kept working.

It's called multitasking

It's called empty virtue signaling

This is what happens when people go into a profession just for the money.

I'm actually shocked that I still remember brand names considering every hospital I've worked for has had a generic only policy. Dispensing class was really traumatic.

This is what happens when people go into a profession just for the money.
There’s nothing wrong with that. Everyone wants to make a living. Certain
groups of people are known for going into professions that make money. Their parents tell them to go be a doctor, an engineer, a pharmacist, etc.

You learn brand/generic through memorization and or through repetition. That is learning. Most of what you know (90%) you learned through repetition.

That sounds like a nice store if he can chat on the phone for 15mins. I can see why he likes his job. You can't do that at a busy store.

That sounds like a nice store if he can chat on the phone for 15mins. I can see why he likes his job. You can't do that at a busy store.

Sorry, we're one of the busiest in the district

Also if you've ever floated you would know slower stores don't have it easier.

What to do if your last employer won't respond to calls for a reference? Please, appreciate only serious answers, thanks in advance

What to do if your last employer won't respond to calls for a reference? Please, appreciate only serious answers, thanks in advance

I would suggest the following:

Sit down for 3 minutes. Then, think clearly about what the situation is and all of the people involved. Then, consider the reasons why, or why they won’t, provide you with a reference.

Then, this is the fun part, it’s time to take action. When you take action, you may consider making a phone call to the relevant person/persons. Upon dialing, take a deep breath - inhale, then exhale and shake off all those pesky phone call jitters. Don’t be afraid, your cool, your confident, everybody likes you....

When someone answers the phone it is usually a rendition of “hello”. The proper response in a professional conversation would be, “hi, my name is __, May I please speak to ___?” At this point it is not unusual to get a case of the jitters again. As they put you on hold, quickly put the phone on mute and hyperventilate into a paper bag.

Then, this is usually when the other party will pick up the phone and say something like, “hi, this is ___, how may I help you”. You now have the attention of the other party and you may engage into a conversation about the situation.

I know! It’s difficult - talking to people.... it really is unusual speaking words instead of using text to communicate and emojis to convey emotion. But, believe it or not, people used to communicate with verbal expressions.

Alright I’m done - apparently it’s going to be a weird day.. haha

Sit down for 3 minutes. Then, think clearly about what the situation is and all of the people involved. Then, consider the reasons why, or why they won’t, provide you with a reference.

Then, this is the fun part, it’s time to take action. When you take action, you may consider making a phone call to the relevant person/persons. Upon dialing, take a deep breath - inhale, then exhale and shake off all those pesky phone call jitters. Don’t be afraid, your cool, your confident, everybody likes you....

When someone answers the phone it is usually a rendition of “hello”. The proper response in a professional conversation would be, “hi, my name is __, May I please speak to ___?” At this point it is not unusual to get a case of the jitters again. As they put you on hold, quickly put the phone on mute and hyperventilate into a paper bag.

Then, this is usually when the other party will pick up the phone and say something like, “hi, this is ___, how may I help you”. You now have the attention of the other party and you may engage into a conversation about the situation.

I know! It’s difficult - talking to people.... it really is unusual speaking words instead of using text to communicate and emojis to convey emotion. But, believe it or not, people used to communicate with verbal expressions.

Thanks, that's good advice, I've already reached out by email and that may be my next step, although its kind of apparent they are avoiding it. I actually have 3 contract agencies who have tried to contact them which was a mistake since there really wasn't any job offer yet. I left on good terms, I worked a short time per diem, but due to a busy inpatient environment and limited hours, still wasn't up to speed.

Pharmacist make fun of each other here so much I feel degraded to call myself a pharmacist lol. It's why I'm switching fields. Then I get attacked you won't make it. Well I took my first risk, higher the risk higher the return. I'll come back next time

SDN:
>Pharmacy is a dying field
>laughs at anyone trying to get out of pharmacy

Pick one. You can’t have your cake and eat it, right?

this is a good question though. If and when we all reach end days, it's just nice to think out loud what some other options may be.

I seriously want to train doctors and staff how to use their e-prescribing systems. I've actually never been on the senders end lol, but I can't imagine it would be that hard. And I want to coach the staff that if they think they sent something weird then they should immediately follow up with a phone call to the pharmacy. I mean idk....could that employ me full time for a while? lol considering the amount of errors we get all the time, probably.

this is a good question though. If and when we all reach end days, it's just nice to think out loud what some other options may be.

I seriously want to train doctors and staff how to use their e-prescribing systems. I've actually never been on the senders end lol, but I can't imagine it would be that hard. And I want to coach the staff that if they think they sent something weird then they should immediately follow up with a phone call to the pharmacy. I mean idk....could that employ me full time for a while? lol considering the amount of errors we get all the time, probably.

Speaking of escribe errors, this literally happened to me the other day, two sets of vastly different directions on a norco and flexeril escribe. The norco read 1q6hprn and 2q4h as directed or something to that effect. I called the doc, left and message and they called back super frustrated. “We escribed it! It’s clear as day, what do you mean directions unclear??” Weird how quick they backed off their tune once I told them what they actually sent over.

Did you list them as a reference or are they just reaching out to them to find out about you? If you did list them as a reference, did you at least let them know that they would be expecting calls?

My former boss never submitted a reference for me despite saying he would and several follow ups on my part. Some people are just dinguses. Do you have any co-workers who can vouch for you instead?

My former boss never submitted a reference for me despite saying he would and several follow ups on my part. Some people are just dinguses. Do you have any co-workers who can vouch for you instead?
I retired from a long job, then it took me close to 2 years to find a per diem job in Florida, everybody knows how the market is there. I worked there for 6 mos, then I decided to move out of state, but got delayed due to family illness. These are contract agencies that want a supervisory reference within the last 2 yrs, I did now send and email asking if they could respond, but hadn't given a heads up before. I only worked about once a week, did not really keep contact with anybody there, and I still felt I wasn't fully trained. I should have planned ahead, but I at least expected if they got a call they'd give me a satisfactory reference

Sorry, we're one of the busiest in the district

Also if you've ever floated you would know slower stores don't have it easier.

So do you chat on the phone for 15min and let the lines at the consult window, mandatory consults at pickup and drive-thru, and flu shots pile up? I don't get how it's feasible to be on the phone for that long in retail unless it's night shift.

So do you chat on the phone for 15min and let the lines at the consult window, mandatory consults at pickup and drive-thru, and flu shots pile up? I don't get how it's feasible to be on the phone for that long in retail unless it's night shift.

I walk over while talking to the customer and take care of the consults?

Almost every customer knows me, they know in have other things to do. I just say I need to speak to another customer real quick I'll be right back.

Then they bring me cookies the next day

I walk over while talking to the customer and take care of the consults?

You do consults while on the phone with another patient? Sounds like a HIPAA violation.

You do consults while on the phone with another patient? Sounds like a HIPAA violation.

Because they can see who I'm talking to?

You ever see 4-5 millenials sitting at a table? each one with a cell phone in hand doing something..? but not speaking with each other......I realize at 40 im ageing out....... but this generation is very lost........I dont think they understand how off putting their lack of social skills is......But its not their fault..... technology did this to them. every once in a while at WM i run into one who has some sense and can communicate.....The rest all have multi-colored hair, fishing tackle in their face.......and if you speak to them, they almost get afraid.....lol

You ever see 4-5 millenials sitting at a table? each one with a cell phone in hand doing something..? but not speaking with each other......I realize at 40 im ageing out....... but this generation is very lost........I dont think they understand how off putting their lack of social skills is......But its not their fault..... technology did this to them. every once in a while at WM i run into one who has some sense and can communicate.....The rest all have multi-colored hair, fishing tackle in their face.......and if you speak to them, they almost get afraid.....lol

I always hear about kids who come home from school and spend the whole day playing video games in their room. No one plays in the streets or goes to their friend's houses anymore. At least in the 80s and 90s they would gather to play Nintendo or N64 and interact with each other in person. Today they only interact online or through text, no phone calls.

I always hear about kids who come home from school and spend the whole day playing video games in their room. No one plays in the streets or goes to their friend's houses anymore. At least in the 80s and 90s they would gather to play Nintendo or N64 and interact with each other in person. Today they only interact online or through text, no phone calls.

Haha so true. I was a kid of the 90s and at the age of 12 we would get on our bikes and ride all day long and not come home until the sun went down. When we were hungry we would go to the river and fish out a couple perch and cook them on a fire right then and there. Then we would ride our bikes like a roving band of hoodlums and when we ran into another roving band of hoodlums we would surely get into a scrap with them until we were all bruised and bloodied. My childhood was one dangerous adventure after another, every day. Some days I would get beat up - those were the days where I would learn some of the most important life lessons.

Haha so true. I was a kid of the 90s and at the age of 12 we would get on our bikes and ride all day long and not come home until the sun went down. When we were hungry we would go to the river and fish out a couple perch and cook them on a fire right then and there. Then we would ride our bikes like a roving band of hoodlums and when we ran into another roving band of hoodlums we would surely get into a scrap with them until we were all bruised and bloodied. My childhood was one dangerous adventure after another, every day. Some days I would get beat up - those were the days where I would learn some of the most important life lessons.

Kids don't even know how to use a lawnmower these days. I had to go on Facebook to find a teenager to mow my lawn, only a few in town offer to do it and now they each have like 100 customers. I have yet to find teenagers who will shovel snow, you either have to pay $50 for a plow or do it yourself.

I retired from a long job, then it took me close to 2 years to find a per diem job in Florida, everybody knows how the market is there. I worked there for 6 mos, then I decided to move out of state, but got delayed due to family illness. These are contract agencies that want a supervisory reference within the last 2 yrs, I did now send and email asking if they could respond, but hadn't given a heads up before. I only worked about once a week, did not really keep contact with anybody there, and I still felt I wasn't fully trained. I should have planned ahead, but I at least expected if they got a call they'd give me a satisfactory reference

Not giving anyone a heads up can be considered a huge faux pas. Whenever I get those kinds of calls those are annoying as **** but I would expect such behavior from CC dropout techs who left on bad terms, not actual pharmacists

I have a half brother and sister , 22 and 27 respectively. I text then once in a while because they dont answer the phone, and if they do its very brief. So i asked my old man and step mom, whats up with them? they actually said it was a whole deal talking on the phone, like as if it was simply too much ya know? i just laughed...I will be long gone when these fool are running the country..... hopefully.