You know this place is dead when Walgreens does more lay offs and no thread is created

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wagrxm2000

Walgreens enthusiast. Called the peak in Bitcoin.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rest in peace interesting contributers.

Congrats sdn, you've killed the pharmacy forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Rest in peace interesting contributers.

Congrats sdn, you've killed the pharmacy forum.
That can be changed. You work at Walgreens - what's the latest news?

Reactions: 1 user
That can be changed. You work at Walgreens - what's the latest news?

Pretty much there are areas where more pharmacists are being utilised instead of techs so they are going to change that by letting pharmacists go and adding more tech hours.

Obviously those tech hours will be taken back away too so good luck to areas that have pharmacist hours taken away.

I don't remember if an hour change thread was created but that should be finalized already.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much there are areas where more pharmacists are being utilised instead of techs so they are going to change that by letting pharmacists go and adding more tech hours.

Obviously those tech hours will be taken back away too so good luck to areas that have pharmacist hours taken away
Just took a look at what they're saying over at Reddit and it sounded like it was mostly new grads that were being let go, but they were canning some long timers too? Any idea what the new starting rates will be?

Also, this should be posted in the pre-pharm forum for them to take note.

I'm shocked a thread wasn't created earlier. I've heard rumors floating around since Monday.

I have not heard of a specific number of cuts. When it comes to who gets cut, they are looking at a combination of seniority and your review.

But remember Walgreens has said it plans to reduce costs by about 2 billion by 2022. Obviously we are pretty expensive workers.

I personally don't know the hiring rate for this year in my area but if I see a new grad floater I'll ask.

Following. For someone who has been debating whether or not to go back to school to learn a more in-demand skillset or get licensed in a few rural states and apply for chain retail jobs in BFE, this makes one of those alternatives a lot more compelling.

I wonder how many of the pharmacists they fire will be those who work at BFE stores? If so, then that would indicate that "suck it up, stop being a princess, and apply to retail jobs in BFE" isn't even a viable last-resort strategy that new grads can fall back on to find jobs.

I'm also interested in how "seniority" is defined as it seems like an advantage, as opposed to disadvantage this time around. Didn't Walgreens cut most of their senior staff last year, or was that Walmart?

Hard to keep track of which chain is doing what but it seems like whenever one chain makes a move, the others will follow suit within a few months...

Firing pharmacists to utilize more techs instead? Bu..bu..but I thought they were freeing up pharmacists to focus more on clinical duties?

Cold, hard facts - no one cares about you more than their bottom line. I wish more pre-pharmers and students understood this about the world.

Reactions: 1 users
Firing pharmacists to utilize more techs instead? Bu..bu..but I thought they were freeing up pharmacists to focus more on clinical duties?

Cold, hard facts - no one cares about you more than their bottom line. I wish more pre-pharmers and students understood this about the world.
Man, That is another lie told by the schools. The lie that pharmacists will have more clinical duties in the retail setting if techs getting more responsibilities

Members don't see this ad :)
They are freeing up pharmacists from their current jobs so that they can go join those MTM concierge vendors (RxVIP, AspenRx etc.) to focus on clinical duties and "practice at the top of their license."

• Haha
They are freeing up pharmacists from their current jobs so that they can go join those MTM concierge vendors (RxVIP, AspenRx etc.) to focus on clinical duties and "practice at the top of their license."
How will they decide which pharmacist is qualified for those jobs. Will they just take PGy-1 community pharmacy residents

This should actually say Walgreens has to do whatever it takes to stay afloat.

How will they decide which pharmacist is qualified for those jobs. Will they just take PGy-1 community pharmacy residents
They will hire everyone and give them 0-10 hours/calls per week and it will be a win-win-win situation.

The company wins because it can boast about how they are "filling the unemployment gap" for pharmacists.

APhA/AACP wins because they can point to this as evidence that pharmacists are being reimbursed for their cognitive services and are not doing "dispensing" anymore.

Pharmacy schools win because they will have much better employment statistics on their graduates to report on. Instead of reporting that 60% of their graduates are doing residencies, they would now be able to say outright that 95% of their graduates are employed (but never mind that they are getting 0 hours a week).

Everyone wins except the pharmacist but who cares about that since most of these new grads don't even deserve to be pharmacists to begin with?

Reactions: 2 users
it’s sad to say, but in the year 2020, layoffs are not newsworthy

I heard they are targeting older/experienced pharmacists who earn more. We all saw this coming, now it's happening.

Also, this should be posted in the pre-pharm forum for them to take note.

The student mod will just move it to the hidden forum. The truth about this profession is not allowed over there. That's why this forum is dead.

But just for fun, I made a thread about it there. I'll be surprised if it lasts more than a couple hours.

Last edited:
I have not heard of a specific number of cuts. When it comes to who gets cut, they are looking at a combination of seniority and your review.

But remember Walgreens has said it plans to reduce costs by about 2 billion by 2022. Obviously we are pretty expensive workers.

I personally don't know the hiring rate for this year in my area but if I see a new grad floater I'll ask.

I was told by our new resident her friend was hired for $45. Not 100% sure what state they were hired in but I’m in southeast

I know about a floater being let go on Monday. I dont know how widespread layoffs are. Is it even news worthy these days? They are cutting high earners as new grads are coming in. Sounds like business as usual.

It is not like Victor and BMBio talked about Wags much.

Hmmm...isn't a top executive in APhA , who promised to engage with pharmacy professionals to make things better, part of AspenRx?

I guess he wants to top us all and free us from the drudgery of a steady paycheck

I apologize wagrxm2000, I neglected my duties on this one, was on the conference call at home today and decided to step away from the news instead of making a thread like I should habe.

Apparently everyone being fired has already been told, they are gone on 7/15 I believe. Supposedly an algorithm was used that took into account performance reviews and seniority (seniority being a positive thing). I've heard, second hand, that most of the people let go were <2 years with the company but I've seen that some long term employees have been let go as well.

As far as store hours changing, seems that mostly Rite Aid conversion stores are having their operating hours cut, closing at 7pm on weekdays and shortened weekend hours (I've heard everything from Sat 10 to 4 plus sun 11 to 3 or Sat reduced hours and closed on Sundays). This will result in some 9a-9p stores going from 77 operating hours a week to 67 hours or less.

As a result staff pharmacists at those locations would be getting less than full time hours at their home store and would either need to float or have a second store they have assigned shifts at. These people have NOT been informed of their individual situation yet. As far as I've heard it almost exclusively effecting low volume RAD converted stores, but everything I know on that end is from networking, not from WAGs officially.

It's going to be bad all around even if it doesn't directly reduce your hours as it's that many more jobs being eliminated for all pharmacists. Even at 2 RPH per district you're looking at hundreds of jobs that are permanently lost.

Reactions: 3 users
I apologize wagrxm2000, I neglected my duties on this one, was on the conference call at home today and decided to step away from the news instead of making a thread like I should habe.

Apparently everyone being fired has already been told, they are gone on 7/15 I believe. Supposedly an algorithm was used that took into account performance reviews and seniority (seniority being a positive thing). I've heard, second hand, that most of the people let go were <2 years with the company but I've seen that some long term employees have been let go as well.

As far as store hours changing, seems that mostly Rite Aid conversion stores are having their operating hours cut, closing at 7pm on weekdays and shortened weekend hours (I've heard everything from Sat 10 to 4 plus sun 11 to 3 or Sat reduced hours and closed on Sundays). This will result in some 9a-9p stores going from 77 operating hours a week to 67 hours or less.

As a result staff pharmacists at those locations would be getting less than full time hours at their home store and would either need to float or have a second store they have assigned shifts at. These people have NOT been informed of their individual situation yet. As far as I've heard it almost exclusively effecting low volume RAD converted stores, but everything I know on that end is from networking, not from WAGs officially.

It's going to be bad all around even if it doesn't directly reduce your hours as it's that many more jobs being eliminated for all pharmacists. Even at 2 RPH per district you're looking at hundreds of jobs that are permanently lost.

You are forgiven my child

The student mod will just move it to the hidden forum. The truth about this profession is not allowed over there. That's why this forum is dead.

But just for fun, I made a thread about it there. I'll be surprised if it lasts more than a couple hours.

My post in the pre-pharm forum got censored to the hidden forum in less than 75min LMAO. Can't let those pre-pharms know anything bad about the profession.

My post in the pre-pharm forum got censored to the hidden forum in less than 75min LMAO. Can't let those pre-pharms know anything bad about the profession.
Why is the "Job Market" sub forum the "hidden" forum? This certainly seems like it would be more relevant there. I understand people want to warn the pre-pharms, but that is mostly all the Pre-Pharmacy section is already. Do we really need to post every negative piece of news there? Do we think that the pre-pharms don't look at the other sections of the forum?

Why is the "Job Market" sub forum the "hidden" forum? This certainly seems like it would be more relevant there. I understand people want to warn the pre-pharms, but that is mostly all the Pre-Pharmacy section is already. Do we really need to post every negative piece of news there? Do we think that the pre-pharms don't look at the other sections of the forum?

Most pre-pharms don't know it exists otherwise they wouldn't be so clueless about the job market.

Research shows that 95% of people don't go to page 2 of a Google search.

If you're in the pre-pharm forum, you have to click back on pharmacy forums, then pharmacy forum, then job market forum. That's 3 different pages you have to scroll through in order to get to the hidden forum.

I don't have an issue with the job market sub forum

What I do have a problem with is the sticky being hidden on the pre-pharmacy forum.

It should be the first thing anyone who visits there sees.

There's a reason why it's been stickied....

Most pre-pharms don't know it exists otherwise they wouldn't be so clueless about the job market.

If you're in the pre-pharm forum, you have to click back on pharmacy forums, then pharmacy forum, then job market forum. That's 3 different pages you have to scroll through in order to get to the hidden forum.

Almost every post there is either about job market saturation and their poor chances at a a job or has several posters telling them not to go to pharmacy school. It isn't like they are missing all the info about the poor job market.

I don't have an issue with the job market sub forum

What I do have a problem with is the sticky being hidden on the pre-pharmacy forum.

It should be the first thing anyone who visits there sees.

There's a reason why it's been stickied....

Which sticky are you talking about? I see two in the Pre-Pharmacy forum (one about Job Saturation).

Almost every post there is either about job market saturation and their poor chances at a a job or has several posters telling them not to go to pharmacy school. It isn't like they are missing all the info about the poor job market.

Which sticky are you talking about? I see two in the Pre-Pharmacy forum (one about Job Saturation).
The sticky thread on my phone has to be clicked on to see....thus hidden

I heard they are targeting older/experienced pharmacists who earn more. We all saw this coming, now it's happening.
I’m no expert when it comes to labor laws, but I’m pretty sure that’s illegal

Ok boomer

Everyone knows pharmacy is dying so it's not shocking when these layoffs happen. When I heard about it I just shrugged my shoulders, seems like the walmart layoffs last year were worse. Plenty of hospital pharmacists have been laid off or furloughed due to COVID and we barely hear anything about that. Seems like pharmacists are resigned to quietly go to the gallows.

I’m no expert when it comes to labor laws, but I’m pretty sure that’s illegal

Nah they are letting go a lot of newbies , possibly mixing in old heads that had low review scores all based on some algorithm. I'm sure they would prefer to order those getting let go as older bad pharmacists > older pharmacists in general > newer badies > newer in general, but they would get sued if they did that.

Everyone knows pharmacy is dying so it's not shocking when these layoffs happen. When I heard about it I just shrugged my shoulders, seems like the walmart layoffs last year were worse. Plenty of hospital pharmacists have been laid off or furloughed due to COVID and we barely hear anything about that. Seems like pharmacists are resigned to quietly go to the gallows.
Wal-Mart had A LOT more fat to cut. Most Walmart stores in my area that were doing 300ish per day had 6+ hours of RPH overlap every day of the week. Walgreens is literally cutting the operating hours of 100s of stores. Its a big difference in implication.

The sticky thread on my phone has to be clicked on to see....thus hidden
I'm sorry, isn't this how forums work? Maybe I am misunderstanding. When I go to the Pre-Pharm forum on my phone the sticky is right there at the top.

EDIT: I get it now. I switched my style away from Basic and it made sense.

Yeah, I was at a local Walgreens the other way and I saw a sign that it's going to be open 9-7 weekdays, some really reduced hours on Saturday like 9-2, and closed on Sunday. I would never have believed that I would see a Walgreens with a pharmacy not open on Sunday... basically their only advantage was long hours (almost always open longer than CVS and of course the independents) so what now?

I’ve heard $43/hr for new grads in Cincinnati.
Why work for that wage when you know you will never see a raise or have a possibility of advancement? I suppose you could try to break into hospital/LTC while working retail but its only a matter of time before wages start dropping hard there. If you're still young you're better off trying to break into a profession that has a future.

Estimated 1000 rphs+ gone nationwide from Walgreen on the very low end. My random guess. 20-100+ rphs at every state.

What's the news on Kroger? I heard Kroger was making budget cuts from 2018. Laying off store managers, possibly pharmacy managers. And cutting their hours from 40 to 32 hrs per week.

If I was a pharmacist during the pre saturation era, I would definitely work for Kroger. I heard Kroger was a good company to work for in those days.

I’m sure they won’t do anything that is blatantly illegal

You don't know Walgreens, do you? They were under a DoL oversight regime until they were sold over racism issues. Walgreens has always been the leader in discriminating against its employees. Kermit's VP hire was one of the things that came out of the last lost lawsuit.

Also, you know where many of those sit-ins occurred in the South? That's right, your local Walgreens. That's actually why Cork had to make the decision to end the dining counter as it had so many bad memories and reputational damage to the company.

I'm not anti-Walgreens, but Deerfield is not at all going to do their HR on the level if they can get away with it. Walgreens was the original reason why Chicago got unionized, and someone here commented about how that got broken up from our entitled generation.

Reactions: 2 users
Laying off store managers, possibly pharmacy managers. And cutting their hours from 40 to 32 hrs per week.

Partially true. Company-wide they got rid of a lot of mid level management, store co-managers. The 40 to 32 hours per week thing did happen for a majority of the company but not everywhere. Cincinnati area was not affected. However Columbus, Indy, Lexington, Louisville and I believe Texas and Utah were also cut.

Truthfully, today - you don’t need a forum to aid you on how and why you should apply for pharmacy school. 10-15 years ago- you definitely did.

Most of the incoming classes are now probably getting bombarded by junk mail brochures from schools.

The people that don’t do their homework and STILL apply - hell they deserve the misery.

Reactions: 5 users