You know this place is dead when Walgreens does more lay offs and no thread is created

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait, you never even got licensed? What have you been doing this whole time? Don't you have student loans to pay? I know some people go into industry and don't need their Rph license, but are you even working?

New grads can't expect to have a unicorn job right out of school anymore. You gotta put in your dues. I started overnight at a ghetto CVS. I thought I'd never get out of retail but one day a classmate, who I wasn't even close to, contacted me about an opening before it went public and I got in.

No, I'm not licensed and have no plans to undergo the licensing process. That's what I'm saying, I have literally no motivation at all to put anymore time or effort into this profession anymore.

Whenever I think about the notion of getting licensed or gunning for that BFE chain retail job, I sort of feel (at least mentally/psychologically) the way I feel during the "crash" period after a really hard workout that was fueled by a preworkout that contains DMAA. If you've ever taken a sizable dose of DMAA and gone for a hard run, you know what I'm talking about.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Here’s what you are missing us all say...

Do we agree some people in any field can’t find jobs? (I.e some pharmacists in your area with retail Or entry level software engineers) YES

Do we agree that means no one can get a job? (I.e. some pharmacists in you area in retail Or entry level software engineers) NO

Again convincing someone to pay you for your work goes beyond what you think you know, what you think you’re capable of, what field you’re in, what position you want, and what you think you deserve or are entitled to.

What will my response be? How about you do it first and come back here then to find out. What will your response be when you dont? Asking us for barista boot camp info?

At this point, I think it's clear that you and the other posters here have such a fundamental issue with my declaration to want to pursue a different career without even bothering to get licensed (or "pay my dues" by working a chain retail job) that you've resorted to insisting that it's indicative of deep-seated character flaws that hiring managers in ANY other profession would consider to be a non-starter.

Of course, it doesn't "mean" anything until I have a concrete co-writing employment offer, but all I can say is that my conversations with local CS hiring managers have thus far indicated that they could care less about what I've done (or not done, rather) with my pharmacy degree. Most of them are just surprised to hear how bad the pharmacy job market has become.

• Okay...
:smack: Two posts in a row, two misses. Maybe the real reason pharmacy as a profession is in a dumpster is that it has too many people with single-track mind and limited reading comprehension.
With an 83% admit rate, pharmacy schools have been accepting for years now an upwards of 50-60% more students than usual who have no business becoming pharmacists. I don't even bother with new grads/students who aren't the "you know it when you see it" types these days since I assume they are all incompetent unless proven otherwise.

So when I precept, I never make the first move. I let them initiate and set the tone - based on whether I see potential or not I may then invest in them. Saves me many headaches.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At this point, I think it's clear that you and the other posters here have such a fundamental issue with my declaration to want to pursue a different career without even bothering to get licensed (or "pay my dues" by working a chain retail job) that you've resorted to insisting that it's indicative of deep-seated character flaws that hiring managers in ANY other profession would consider to be a non-starter.

Of course, it doesn't "mean" anything until I have a concrete co-writing employment offer, but all I can say is that my conversations with local CS hiring managers have thus far indicated that they could care less about what I've done (or not done, rather) with my pharmacy degree. Most of them are just surprised to hear how bad the pharmacy job market has become.

At this point I hope it’s clear I have no issue with you not pursuing the licensing process and not pursuing a path in which you identify as a pharmacist. I don’t think we need anymore people pulling down the brand. Stay away. Go pursue your CS like I’ve been saying all along. Get out of here. Get on with it.

Actually no one is entitled to life, good health, anything really sweaty

Back to the topic at hand, because somehow every thread is getting derailed into this same old tired discussion about CS, any more news from the wags front?

Reactions: 1 users
Back to the topic at hand, because somehow every thread is getting derailed into this same old tired discussion about CS, any more news from the wags front?
ya - agree, that fascination with CS is annoying as hell, its like the only other job we should go into is coding

Reactions: 4 users

Back on topic, two of the Regionals got their walking papers last month to be let go after 4th quarter (August 31st). One of them is angling for a university appointment. When asked about her chances, my passive reply was they should contact the alumni office for the number of rescinded donations afterwards if she joins us. Considering how things are, no appointment is forthcoming. If you know how deferred compensation works for Walgreens management, both of them lost out on their Prestige marks. Couldn't happen to a better couple of people.

Back on topic, two of the Regionals got their walking papers last month to be let go after 4th quarter (August 31st). One of them is angling for a university appointment. When asked about her chances, my passive reply was they should contact the alumni office for the number of rescinded donations afterwards if she joins us. Considering how things are, no appointment is forthcoming. If you know how deferred compensation works for Walgreens management, both of them lost out on their Prestige marks. Couldn't happen to a better couple of people.
Yep. Couldn't have happened to better people. Good luck selling that koolaid

ya - agree, that fascination with CS is annoying as hell, its like the only other job we should go into is coding

CS is the hot topic of discussion here because it provides what pharmacy once did - great work/life balance, job security, comfortable salary, signing bonuses

Members don't see this ad :)
what area where they from? I have an old acquaitence that is a regional - haven't talked to them in years, but they were "good people" then

Not following 100%. Are you saying there is stigma/repercussions associated with a pharmacy school hiring someone from corporate retail?

what area where they from? I have an old acquaitence that is a regional - haven't talked to them in years, but they were "good people" then

One in Loop (it's publicly known who she is which is why I'm not worried about the location), the other is still private and will PM you about that one as that might be someone you know. There are others, but I know of those two specifically. There's a rumor in the Southwest area but not confirmed yet.

Thanks to a banner ad on this very page, I just learned of such an excellent option as a master of liberal arts in gastronomy degree, to be obtained from Boston College for mere $45K or so. With subjects like "Philosophy of food" and "Reading and writing a food memoir". What an option for jobless PharmDs trying to find their place in the world!
I’m actually taking gastronomy right now. Been cooking a lot

interesting response from everyone. I guess experience and age does wonders

Yup, thats what I've been saying. Agism, life is funny, we chase after things only to realize when we get there, its not the same. As in IT, pharmacy and learning new tech. Now some of the tech is disappearing and people need to take one new tech or become a manager while facing agism. Some things are closer home

Last edited:
Walgreens CEO just stepped down today. Any comments?

Walgreens CEO just stepped down today. Any comments?

Endgame debt loading. Walgreens as a company will go into debt hell. As I said a couple of years ago, there's corporate raiding and then there's KKR. But for all the day-to-day scutwork, there's going to be a new person. Pessina just needs to work on cashing out before KKR sticks him with a big bill.

Someday, I'll get to tell the story of a guy named Wayne "Michelob" Miquelon, but my NDA is going to apparently last another 5 years.

Endgame debt loading. Walgreens as a company will go into debt hell. As I said a couple of years ago, there's corporate raiding and then there's KKR. But for all the day-to-day scutwork, there's going to be a new person. Pessina just needs to work on cashing out before KKR sticks him with a big bill.

Someday, I'll get to tell the story of a guy named Wayne "Michelob" Miquelon, but my NDA is going to apparently last another 5 years.

Oh juicy .. DUIs, Theranos, and one of the worst acquisitions in recent community pharmacy memory. Where’s my popcorn???!

On another note, servicing the massive debt bill won’t be too tough with our lovely Fed going BRRRRR and a low interest environment for the foreseeable future

Oh juicy .. DUIs, Theranos, and one of the worst acquisitions in recent community pharmacy memory. Where’s my popcorn???!

On another note, servicing the massive debt bill won’t be too tough with our lovely Fed going BRRRRR and a low interest environment for the foreseeable future

And I'm sure that went into hedge fund thinking. The Fed knows its pinned, the only question is how to unwind. China has the problem X1000 though, and it's a game to see who loses first.

Juicy, the guy that got earnings pinned on him and he tried to sue for defamation. He was basically told the number he had to report for earnings and said I don’t think that’s possible if I recall correctly. I remember reading the lawsuit and there will emails and texts and all sorts of fun stuff with Wasson and him. If all that made it to the public domain imagine what more there is.

And I'm sure that went into hedge fund thinking. The Fed knows its pinned, the only question is how to unwind. China has the problem X1000 though, and it's a game to see who loses first.

I wonder if Ashworth caught wind of the looming move, knew the cash out and gutting was coming very soon, decided to make his next move on his terms rather then get put through hell trying to lead a burning ship through a cyclone and not knowing where he’d come out. Odd that just months after a promo he leaves.

If reimbursements remain as they are now do you think Rite Aid will go bankrupt and followed by Walgreens?

I wonder if Ashworth caught wind of the looming move, knew the cash out and gutting was coming very soon, decided to make his next move on his terms rather then get put through hell trying to lead a burning ship through a cyclone and not knowing where he’d come out. Odd that just months after a promo he leaves.

The timing is definitely suspect. Between Ashworth leaving, pharmacist layoffs, the quarterly loss report and now this.... Something is definitely happening within Walgreens.

The timing is definitely suspect. Between Ashworth leaving, pharmacist layoffs, the quarterly loss report and now this.... Something is definitely happening within Walgreens.
All I can say, as someone who occasionally floats for WAGS, the new pharmacy operating hours have decreased the number of extra hours that used to be available.

I used to hear that a WAGS employee who bought the stock could retire a millionaire...Ask some of the ancients ( are there any?) if they are selling out. I don't know how much land they own under those stores but if they start peddling it..watch out..the big shots are selling assets. About 10? years ago WAGS management thought it would be a feather in their cap if they expanded to open joints on every rural crossroads...didn't work out so well. Since jobs are scarce..just gotta ride it in I guess..

I used to hear that a WAGS employee who bought the stock could retire a millionaire...Ask some of the ancients ( are there any?) if they are selling out. I don't know how much land they own under those stores but if they start peddling it..watch out..the big shots are selling assets. About 10? years ago WAGS management thought it would be a feather in their cap if they expanded to open joints on every rural crossroads...didn't work out so well. Since jobs are scarce..just gotta ride it in I guess..

wut?

Buy enough of any stock and you’ll be a millionaire... if my retirement accounts don’t have millions in stocks by then I’ll be pretty upset.

Not sure Walgreens strategy but many retailers don’t own most of the property their stores sit on. They use leasebacks to free up the capital on their balance sheet - sell the property to someone else under the condition they’ll lease it for a set duration of time. That’s not a new strategy at all. Commercial real estate market is gonna be rough for a bit of time...

wut?

Buy enough of any stock and you’ll be a millionaire... if my retirement accounts don’t have millions in stocks by then I’ll be pretty upset.

Not sure Walgreens strategy but many retailers don’t own most of the property their stores sit on. They use leasebacks to free up the capital on their balance sheet - sell the property to someone else under the condition they’ll lease it for a set duration of time. That’s not a new strategy at all. Commercial real estate market is gonna be rough for a bit of time...
Got it....you don't know.....