South Carolina College of Pharmacy Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCBelle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who has interviewed and how was it? Anyone been accepted yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on the 25th of Jan. There was a 45 minute orientation session in the beginning, and then my 2 one-on-one interviews were immediately after that (though, some others didn't have their interviews 'til later in the afternoon). I was really nervous going in as it was my first pharm school interview, but the interviewers make you feel extremely relaxed/comfortable as soon as you walk in. All my nerves flew out the window at the start of the first interview and it was easy to have a one-on-one conversation. Just know yourself inside and out and why you want to study Pharmacy. Other than that, you should have nothing to worry about. Everyone from the office staff to the AdCom and students were extremely friendly and helpful. Just enjoy yourself! :)

Oh, btw, you should know that BOTH interviews were open file. I thought one would be open and one closed, but that wasn't the case.

Good Luck!

When do you expect to hear something? I know people who did have one open and one closed. The "closed" interview had everything but your PCAT and GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been accepted. I interviewed on the 20th of Jan.

I interviewed on Jan 25th and was accepted on the 12th of Feb...Good Luck :)

I am going to be at the Columbia campus by the way.

Hey, I have an upcoming interview and I was wondering what types of questions are typically asked?????

Hey, I have an upcoming interview and I was wondering what types of questions are typically asked?????

I am a CPA, so we talked about business and how that would help me as a Pharmacist. My father is alumni of USC pharmacy school, and does some work with 340B programs which she was working on starting one somewhere....we talked about that. She had run her own pharmacy in the past which is where a lot of the business/accounting stuff was discussed.

Other interview we talked about me applying to both pharmacy and medical schools (I was wondering if they would know I applied to both). Then we talked about the upstate of south Carolina as she worked up there half the time. I am from there.

In short, I think they ask about you and not so much standard questions.

I received a letter today stating that I was placed on the waiting list. Does anyone know a rough estimate on how many people get pulled from the waiting list?

I'm applying to SCCP (MUSC) for 2011 and I'd love to know the stats for those of you receiving interviews (and acceptances). If you're willing to post them that'd help me know where I stand, thanks!

Usually they have about 20-25 on the wait list. If you get selected you will usually end up in Charleston at least thats what happened to several friends in the past few years.

I'm applying to SCCP (MUSC) for 2011 and I'd love to know the stats for those of you receiving interviews (and acceptances). If you're willing to post them that'd help me know where I stand, thanks!

Last year's PY1 class GPA average was a 3.5, and PCAT was a 70%.

My GPA 3.7 and my PCAT was a 77%.

I interviewed, but have not heard back yet.

And kind of in-line with scpharmacy, the USC campus fills up faster than the MUSC campus. So, that's probably why wait-listed people get put there. I don't get why people wouldn't want to go to the MUSC campus. It's blocks from the ocean!

I did say I only wanted to got to the columbia campus. On the letter I received they said that the waiting list contains around 45 students that is used by both campuses.

I am a junior with extra classes going towards a biology degree and my GPA is 3.7 and I got a 65 on PCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about the application for SCCP. It says that the essay needs to be 500 words. It doesn't say more or less. Mine is currently around 520 words. Do you guys think that's okay or do I need it to be exactly 500 words?

I have a question about the application for SCCP. It says that the essay needs to be 500 words. It doesn't say more or less. Mine is currently around 520 words. Do you guys think that's okay or do I need it to be exactly 500 words?

I think that when you cut and paste your essay into the form online, it will cut it off at 500 words. Mine turned out to be 497 words. I would cut it down to 500 just to be safe...you wouldn't want to have the ending cut off.

It won't cut off at 500. I sent an email to both campuses and verified that 600 is acceptable.

Are there any others on SDN applying to SCCP this cycle?

It won't cut off at 500. I sent an email to both campuses and verified that 600 is acceptable.

Are there any others on SDN applying to SCCP this cycle?

I am as well! Are you finished applying? And what campus did you select as your primary?

I am applying for 2011 as well. I submitted my online app to MUSC about a month ago to give ample time for my references to do their part (to be honest, references were the scariest part of the whole thing for me). Once I verify the pre-requisite classes I'll be taking in January and confirm my PCAT scores are received it all comes down to waiting, I guess :oops:

Good luck to you guys, with some luck we may all have good news to share come early next year.

Agreed! So I we should get a call in January if we're getting an interview?

i'm applying to MUSC too! it's my first choice, only downer is that i'm from colorado and the state preferred.

I'm hoping to hear from them soon though, one question: i'm interested in the pharmD/phD program, does anyone know if that might help your app?

I have the background for a phd, BS in microbio, 3.5 gpa, i'm employed as a research associate at a uni currently.
I played the out-of-state thing to my advantage as much as i could in my diversity statement.

Last edited:
I interviewed at MUSC on Nov 5. I really liked the atmosphere and the environment. The interviews were both open for me (I think one interviewer had access to my PCAT scores and the other didn't or something.) But I liked that they were both conversational and the interviewers were really involved in the whole MUSC campus, so it was easy to talk to them about my interests as well as the work they do.

I interviewed at MUSC on Nov 5. I really liked the atmosphere and the environment. The interviews were both open for me (I think one interviewer had access to my PCAT scores and the other didn't or something.) But I liked that they were both conversational and the interviewers were really involved in the whole MUSC campus, so it was easy to talk to them about my interests as well as the work they do.

Congratulations! have you heard anything back from them yet?

Sounds like you applied through priority admission, is that right?

Seems like everyone here is looking at the MUSC campus!

What's wrong with Columbia? The rent is sure cheaper :laugh:

I also applied for regular admissions and had an interview at the MUSC campus. Has anyone heard back? I'm still waiting!

Has anyone who took the oct 16 pcat had their scores received yet? I called sue last week and she said she always gets a tad behind on that stuff, but its been a week now, and apparently they have still not been received.

And how do they notify you of an interview: email or phone call?

Thx

I also applied for regular admissions and had an interview at the MUSC campus. Has anyone heard back? I'm still waiting!

When did you submit the electronic, when was your app complete, and when did you interview? Sorry for the 20Q...

Hey everyone!

I received a phone call today from MUSC and got an interview on Jan 14!! I'm super excited! Has anyone else heard anything yet??

Hey everyone!

I received a phone call today from MUSC and got an interview on Jan 14!! I'm super excited! Has anyone else heard anything yet??

I got the phone call as well, and I am also excited!

Congrats Jet and Pharma! I'm waiting on my last 2 rec letters, hopefully by next week... hope I didn't miss that round of interviews, I'm dying to have this process done.

Edit: just one rec left now! How long ago did you guys have the total package submitted?

Last edited:
Ugh, i'm green with envy!

To the two who have received calls from sccp, are ALL of your transcripts submitted? or are you taking courses this semester that havent been submitted yet?

NVM- I'm gonna be in Charleston Jan 14th!!! so happy

any good tips on a place to stay in town? right now i'm looking at a hostel, and the greatest appeal is that its a 5 min walk from musc.
If anyone is a local (or familiar with the area) and will have some free time that weekend, wanna hang out?? I'd love to go to the beach and check out the city (be a tourist) PM me if interested/available!!

NVM- I'm gonna be in Charleston Jan 14th!!! so happy

any good tips on a place to stay in town? right now i'm looking at a hostel, and the greatest appeal is that its a 5 min walk from musc.
If anyone is a local (or familiar with the area) and will have some free time that weekend, wanna hang out?? I'd love to go to the beach and check out the city (be a tourist) PM me if interested/available!!
You cannot get to the beach without a car; Charleston itself is not right on the beach. Also it's going to be too cold to do more than look at the water.

Don't know anything about the hostel but that sounds like a good option because Charleston is expensive to stay in!

You cannot get to the beach without a car; Charleston itself is not right on the beach. Also it's going to be too cold to do more than look at the water.

Don't know anything about the hostel but that sounds like a good option because Charleston is expensive to stay in!

Ya i saw that the bus doesnt go all the way to the beach either- i'll figure it out, all i wanna do is look at it anyways! i live inland, in the cold- some ocean air would be great.

Has anyone recieved a call from the columbia campus about interviews yet?????

I'm with Taterbug, I'd like to know if any of the prospective Columbia students have gotten a call yet. Also if anybody got accepted in the years prior, when did they start calling to set up interviews?

Got off work and discovered a voicemail for an interview.... :)

Heck yeah! What day are you going?

January 14th, 8:00 orientation, 12:00 tour, 1rst interview 2:00, 2nd interview 2:30

How about you?

On a side note I cannot help but notice your screen name, I actually got a BA in philosophy from USC. Do you have a background in philosophy too?

January 14th, 8:00 orientation, 12:00 tour, 1rst interview 2:00, 2nd interview 2:30

How about you?

On a side note I cannot help but notice your screen name, I actually got a BA in philosophy from USC. Do you have a background in philosophy too?

Aw, dang, I'm on Jan 10th!

And nope not really haha, I planned on taking some form of philosophy in college, but op'd out when I found out about Pharmacy! My name is also Philipp, so it's kind of a pun =p

Congrats Philo & evilgenius! I got a call today to interview on the 21st in Charleston and was coming here to share the good news. I wish I was interviewing earlier like you guys but it's silly to complain...

Hope everyone shares their experiences here after they go. I asked and was told both interviews would be professors. I talked to a current resident at MUSC today who said she was interviewed by a P1 student when she applied... and the guy had nothing to talk about so he quizzed her on reggae music :laugh:

Congrats Philo & evilgenius! I got a call today to interview on the 21st in Charleston and was coming here to share the good news. I wish I was interviewing earlier like you guys but it's silly to complain...

Hope everyone shares their experiences here after they go. I asked and was told both interviews would be professors. I talked to a current resident at MUSC today who said she was interviewed by a P1 student when she applied... and the guy had nothing to talk about so he quizzed her on reggae music :laugh:

Thanks! And that sounds awesome haha, I can only hope I'll be as lucky :laugh:

I will also be interviewing on January 21! I am so excited!! A great early Christmas present as far as I'm concerned! :soexcited:

I will also be interviewing on January 21! I am so excited!! A great early Christmas present as far as I'm concerned! :soexcited:

Congrats to the both of y'all!

On a side note, what determines who they call first? Is it random?

Yes!!! I was interviewed back in October and just received my letter of acceptance in the mail. Now...to finish off these last two prereqs!!!

Best wishes to the rest of you guys!!!

Yes!!! I was interviewed back in October and just received my letter of acceptance in the mail. Now...to finish off these last two prereqs!!!

Best wishes to the rest of you guys!!!

Congrats! Holy canoli, they sure do make you wait. Which campus were u accepted to?

Congrats! Holy canoli, they sure do make you wait. Which campus were u accepted to?

Yeah they sure did!!! The waiting period was a stipulation for priority applicants. We got interviewed sooner but had to wait for fall grades to be in before any decisions were made. Oh...Ill be at USC. Thanks!