Rotations during 3/4th year question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naoise151

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had the breakdown of how rotations work at each school. I'm specifically interested in DMU but seeing other schools' would be helpful too. On their website it doesn't go in as much detail so i was just wondering if anyone or any current student could speak more on the rotations completed in 3rd and 4th year and the durations of each? thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I just started my 3rd year at KSUCPM, so this is more or less how it works here. It includes your class being broken down into smaller groups and each group rotating to different clerkships. For us, we rotate through school clinics and local Cleveland area hospitals (UH, VA and Cleveland Clinic). Rotations include things like radiology, general medicine, podiatric medicine, surgery and standard patients. At the end of the rotations, we take an exam that comprises of clinical knowledge that we were expected to learn throughout that rotation. Passing the exam is necessary to pass the rotation.

Reactions: 3 users
I was wondering if anyone had the breakdown of how rotations work at each school. I'm specifically interested in DMU but seeing other schools' would be helpful too. On their website it doesn't go in as much detail so i was just wondering if anyone or any current student could speak more on the rotations completed in 3rd and 4th year and the durations of each? thank you!
At DMU interview they give you more details. I think all or most 3rd year rotations are within Des Moines area. 4th year is where you go where you want to go and build connections for potential residency spots.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you attended DMUs interview?

At DMU during your 3rd year of school, right after part 1 boards, you do month long rotations in the DMU foot and ankle clinic and also some rotations with some pod docs in the community. You don't begin your externships until 4th year at DMU. At DMU you have enough room in your schedule for about 7 externships during your 4th year. The other months are filled with a core rotation (3 months spent at one program), an IM rotation, a private practice rotation, and an elective month.
Externships are the ones where you're spending a month at a residency program, kind of trying out for the program. You could be with students from the other 8 schools during your externships.
If you do a google search for CASPR/CRIP and then click on directory those are all the residency programs where you could also do an externship at.

Reactions: 1 users