Forum Members PMSR/RRA Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have input on Stony Brook/Northport VA?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any recommendations for NYC programs…I know area is saturated by wide and I love the area and would love to extern at a program in the area any recommendations are much appreciated

Does anyone know anything about UPMC Harrisburg (previously UPMC Pinnacle)? Haven't seen any mention of it anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any recommendations for NYC programs…I know area is saturated by wide and I love the area and would love to extern at a program in the area any recommendations are much appreciated
LIJ Forest Hills and North Shore are strong programs in NYC. I know a lot of my classmates are externing at those two places, however, I did hear that LIJ North Shore can be tough as the environment is not very welcoming and it is sort of like a boot camp but the training is phenomenal (again this is what a couple of upperclassmen told me so don't quote me). NYPQ is also a strong program.

Any reviews for:
Oak Hill Hospital, Brooksville FL
DVA-Tampa, Tampa FL
Eastern Virginia Medical School, Virginia Beach VA
Nazareth Hospital, Philadelphia PA
St Joseph Medical Center, Houston TX
Did you ever hear anything about Oak Hill?

Is there a way to "Search" just in just this thread? Looking for info on Wake Forest. Thank you

Is there a way to "Search" just in just this thread? Looking for info on Wake Forest. Thank you
Click the magnifying glass at the top and choose “This Thread” from the drop down list that says “Everywhere” by default, then type in wake forest and hit search :)

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have insight on Christus Saint Patrick Hospital in Lake Charles, LA? I would really appreciate some feedback thank you!

Anything on the following programs?

Charlie Norwood VA - Augusta, GA
Oak Hill Hospital - Brooksville, FL
McGuire VA - Richmond, VA
Cape Fear Valley - Fayetteville, NC
Stony Brook University - Stony Brook, NY
St John's Episcopal, Far Rockaway, NY
Central Alabama VA, Montgomery, AL

Stony Brook University - Stony Brook, NY
This is not a good program from what I have heard at my school. I am unsure about the details of its deficiencies but a number of people calling it "bad" were enough for me to avoid it.

Does anyone have any reviews for Iowa Methodist Medical Center?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would any recent grad be kind enough to add their experiences? :)

I'm trying to make my list and I'm stressed +pissed+

Does anyone have any reviews for Iowa Methodist Medical Center?
This is a pretty solid program.
They take one a year.
I cant recall how their call is broken up but I dont think its too crazy even being one a year. Its lightest third year.

The residents there are all smart and work hard. First year spends a majority of your first year on off service rotations but thats like every program.

During their second and third year you spend a lot of time in the OR. The one surgery center has podiatry block time everyday of the week and its full days of surgery. Those days are usually "split" between the 2nd and 3rd year. They do it all, forefoot to complex rearfoot to TARs.
The other resident will end up scrubbing at one of the hospitals they cover and managing inpatients. There are 3 in the system.
Excellent training here that will make you very prepared. No trouble hitting numbers, not even a question.

Although the program is in Des Moines they are open to any strong student and won't just match DMU.
This is such an under the radar strong program.

Reactions: 1 users
Although the program is in Des Moines they are open to any strong student and won't just match DMU.
Thank you so much for your reply! There is also another program in Iowa that I am interested in called MercyOne in Waterloo. My fear is that they mostly match DMU students because I only saw one from Arizona. Do you think this is the case with most of the programs in Iowa?

Thank you so much for your reply! There is also another program in Iowa that I am interested in called MercyOne in Waterloo. My fear is that they mostly match DMU students because I only saw one from Arizona. Do you think this is the case with most of the programs in Iowa?
Waterloo used to be very popular because it was almost entirely surgical with almost no clinic. They were full scope and supposedly heavy on everything surgical including rearfoot and TAR. Its not just that Iowa people want to stay in Iowa.

... people want to stay in Iowa.
confused will ferrell GIF

Tons of surgery, heavy on trauma. Doubt there’s a better program in the Philly area for it if that’s your thing. You’ll be working hard. Lots of young busy docs.
They took a big hit when Justin Fleming left. I doubt there is a high caliber surgeon there that replaces his experience.

They took a big hit when Justin Fleming left. I doubt there is a high caliber surgeon there that replaces his experience.
I don’t think it was so much him leaving, more so the fact that the ortho group now has control of everything going through Aria. The podiatry team has to consult ortho for all trauma (which is the majority of their surgical cases) and have to hope they defer to podiatry. Case volume and diversity is one of the worst I’ve seen in all my rotations

I don’t think it was so much him leaving, more so the fact that the ortho group now has control of everything going through Aria. The podiatry team has to consult ortho for all trauma (which is the majority of their surgical cases) and have to hope they defer to podiatry. Case volume and diversity is one of the worst I’ve seen in all my rotations
Another reason why podiatry training is such a crap shoot. Anyone can train there claim they trained at the prestigious Aria system 😂

That is a complete 180 degrees difference from when I rotated there as a student/extern. Fleming was doing all sorts of trauma and reconstructive procedures. Seemed to have a great relationship with his ortho group and hospital. The residents were doing big cases all the time. I'm sure there was a falling out and then complete environment change after that. Just like that a good program turned to complete crap.

If anyone has more information on the NY/NJ programs please reply. I searched this thread but there is little info on the nyc programs.
Interested on information about:
St. Mary's in NJ
NYPQ
Good Sam in Long Island
NYP in Brooklyn
Mt. Sinai in NYC
Mt. Sinai in Long Island
Hoboken
LIJ - Forest Hills and North Shore
NYU Brooklyn

St. Mary’s in NJ is excellent, but it’s only 1 spot a year so very competitive. Most people who graduate there end up working right around there…

NYPQ is my alma matter. They just cut it down to 3 years after I graduated they lost 1 hospital that used to have a lot of trauma, so that cuts cases down. Dr. Lombardi just left to go to LIJ, and he is truly what made that program great… not to shoot my own program down, but I wouldn’t consider it now with Lombardi gone

Good Sam is ok, however I do know someone from my year who graduated there and he cannot operate on his own. The practice he joined has to hold his hand now… you don’t want that

Do you mean NYU in Brooklyn? If so, terrible program. They matched a lot of people we turned away over the years

All Mt. Sinai is bad. Unless its Gitlins program now? I get confused, if Beth Israel and Sinai merged? If Gitlin is there and you are into reconstruction it will be good, otherwise steer clear

Hoboken is awful, they double or triple scrub anything and the seniors don’t know what they are doing in the OR

LIJ north shore and the old NYPQ are the 2 best NY programs hands down. You will be trained well at LIJ north shore

LIJ forest hills is not that great… lots of wound care and typically match average to below students

PM me if more questions!

St. Mary’s in NJ is excellent, but it’s only 1 spot a year so very competitive. Most people who graduate there end up working right around there…

NYPQ is my alma matter. They just cut it down to 3 years after I graduated they lost 1 hospital that used to have a lot of trauma, so that cuts cases down. Dr. Lombardi just left to go to LIJ, and he is truly what made that program great… not to shoot my own program down, but I wouldn’t consider it now with Lombardi gone

Good Sam is ok, however I do know someone from my year who graduated there and he cannot operate on his own. The practice he joined has to hold his hand now… you don’t want that

Do you mean NYU in Brooklyn? If so, terrible program. They matched a lot of people we turned away over the years

All Mt. Sinai is bad. Unless its Gitlins program now? I get confused, if Beth Israel and Sinai merged? If Gitlin is there and you are into reconstruction it will be good, otherwise steer clear

Hoboken is awful, they double or triple scrub anything and the seniors don’t know what they are doing in the OR

LIJ north shore and the old NYPQ are the 2 best NY programs hands down. You will be trained well at LIJ north shore

LIJ forest hills is not that great… lots of wound care and typically match average to below students

PM me if more questions!

Gitlin is at the Beth Israel one in the City. Their program just became 3-years also. I have heard good things about it overall, and it will def be more competitive in the coming months.

Gitlin is at the Beth Israel one in the City. Their program just became 3-years also. I have heard good things about it overall, and it will def be more competitive in the coming months.

But I believe Beth Israel was combine with Mt. Sinai… that’s what I was saying

Any insight on Mercy Health St. Vincent in Toledo, OH? I am thinking of visiting so I would really appreciate some feedback thank you.

Last edited:
Any insight on Mercy Health St. Vincent in Toledo, OH? I am thinking of visiting so I would really appreciate some feedback thank you.
I interviewed with them back in 2015... LOVED them. Made we wish I externed. The director was female (forget her name), if she is still there i’d give em a shot.

Word on the street was it was a great training program, at least when I was a student.

• Care
Hello, does anyone have any reviews for UnityPoint Trinity IA; MetroWest MA; UPMC Harrisburg PA? Much appreciated, thank you.

lot of driving. a lot. focus is surgery. No other residents at the hopsital. The general surgeons are doing lumps and bumps. You want to be home before 5 every day - this is your program. No babysitting. Truly a what you make of it program. Pros - surgery. Cons - medicine.

Some fantastic attendings - and a lot a lot of them.
In terms of surgery, is there good diversity of cases? What types of numbers do residents usually end up with at the end of their residencies?

Also, you said it is the type of program that someone who wants to be home by 5 should be interested in? Just wanting to make sure this wasn't a typo as it sounds like there's a lot of driving time haha.

Lastly, looks like the compensation is really low at these programs. Are benefits decent (health care, etc.)? Seems like it would be hard if you have a family to support yourself.

Thank you so much :)

Last edited:
In terms of surgery, is there good diversity of cases? What types of numbers do residents usually end up with at the end of their residencies?

Also, you said it is the type of program that someone who wants to be home by 5 should be interested in? Just wanting to make sure this wasn't a typo as it sounds like there's a lot of driving time haha.

Lastly, looks like the compensation is really low at these programs. Are benefits decent (health care, etc.)? Seems like it would be hard if you have a family to support yourself.

Thank you so much :)
Terrible compensation. I made like 36 38 and 40. Fortunately no state taxes. Standard resident Benny's nothing great.

Yes I was home by 2 or 3 most days so I didn't have to mess with traffic. Knock out 5 or 6 cases and go home as a 3rd year. I didn't do clinic. It's there if you want it. Clinic is easy to figure out as an attending.

No inpatient work. All outpatient surgery. So no not doing charcot and other stuff like. In terms of recon there is a ton as well as bread and butter. I don't know how much things have changed. Want intpatient go to San Antonio and I imagine be there waaaaay after 5. Want outpatient and make your own lifestyle? Go to wear Houston.

Terrible compensation. I made like 36 38 and 40. Fortunately no state taxes. Standard resident Benny's nothing great.

Yes I was home by 2 or 3 most days so I didn't have to mess with traffic. Knock out 5 or 6 cases and go home as a 3rd year. I didn't do clinic. It's there if you want it. Clinic is easy to figure out as an attending.

No inpatient work. All outpatient surgery. So no not doing charcot and other stuff like. In terms of recon there is a ton as well as bread and butter. I don't know how much things have changed. Want intpatient go to San Antonio and I imagine be there waaaaay after 5. Want outpatient and make your own lifestyle? Go to wear Houston.
Very helpful. Thank you!

Very helpful. Thank you!
And I finished with maybe 1100 cases or so. I think co resident did closer to 1300. Then 2 others did maybe 800 or so but they punted on a lot of stuff.
Very different program from most. A lot of driving. Can go weeks without seeing another co resident. Really only see when in office for labs or education. Not going to run into them in the wild.

And I finished with maybe 1100 cases or so. I think co resident did closer to 1300. Then 2 others did maybe 800 or so but they punted on a lot of stuff.
Very different program from most. A lot of driving. Can go weeks without seeing another co resident. Really only see when in office for labs or education. Not going to run into them in the wild.
Did you feel prepared for post-op care, managing complications, etc. post-residency given the limited clinic/in-patient experience? Was it hard to connect with others in the program with so many attendings and limited face to face contact with other residents?

Could I please get some insight / advice about VA Salem, Baltimore and Richmond, please? Thanks

Specifically, the orthos are associated with Jefferson Health System. Jefferson is not podiatry friendly.

Did you feel prepared for post-op care, managing complications, etc. post-residency given the limited clinic/in-patient experience? Was it hard to connect with others in the program with so many attendings and limited face to face contact with other residents?
Post op care is easy. Complications happen. Ask friends and rely on attendings. Not doing brain surgery. Certainly challenging moving to a huge new city and not having a built in network with other residents and other specialties. I met my future wife the day I moved to Houston, so I was good. Don't get me wrong still spend plenty of time with co residents

• Love
Tons of surgery, heavy on trauma. Doubt there’s a better program in the Philly area for it if that’s your thing. You’ll be working hard. Lots of young busy docs.
Could you give a little more info on Jefferson? Seems like a great program for trauma and recon, but I've also seen other people say all trauma has to go through ortho first.

Could you give a little more info on Jefferson? Seems like a great program for trauma and recon, but I've also seen other people say all trauma has to go through ortho first.
It’s a fantastic program for foot and ankle trauma and recon but only if your name has the correct initials after it which should have 2 characters, and specifically not 3 characters.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I’ve done that. I’m looking for more detailed info on case diversity, how heavy the trauma call is, relationship with ortho, etc.
They see everything from elective haglund's detach reattach, bunions, charcot recon, inpatient diabetic foot infection stuff. Very wide variety.
Didn't see them having any issues with ortho- they are listed under the ortho department.
Call seemed manageable despite 1 resident a year.
Unsure about trauma.

Realistically- you will not be doing more than 50% trauma when you get out in practice. Ankle, calc, maybe the odd open fx sure. It is important to know how to manage them and surgically fix them, but it is not the end all be all when you get out.

Whatever floats your boat.

Edit: Look up their website and reach out to a current resident. Best way to get info from the source. Email them. Not that hard.

Sure, I think people might be confusing Jefferson NE (ARIA) with Jefferson NJ (Kennedy).

Jefferson NE (Used to be called ARIA) definitely had by far the best 3rd years in the OR of any program in the Philly area I visited when I was a student. Attendings wouldn't touch the knife and basically sat back and watched the resident crank out an ankle. They do a ridiculous amount of trauma/recon and essentially acted as the Ortho residents as well as Podiatry since there aren't any Ortho residents and seemed to only be a couple ortho attendings. They scrubbed ALL trauma with both Ortho and Podiatry and there seemed to be a great relationship between the 2 ie. they did academics etc together (very intense however high expectations).....downside of that externship was when I was a student at least you weren't allowed to go to the surgery centers which is where all their elective forefoot stuff was so you better like doing trauma/recon bc you won't see Podiatry bread and butter as a student. (Good or bad depending on your interests)

That's my 5 cents, personally was too intense a program for me but their grads are held in high regard when it comes to trauma/recon for a reason.....

Submitted Anonymously!

Program Name
: Jefferson Northeast (formerly Aria Health)

General Program/Hospital Info: Jefferson Torresdale, Bucks, Frankford

Attendings: Dr. Savelloni (Director), Dr. Miller, Dr. Norton, Dr. Collins, Dr. Shinder etc.

Residents: Take 3 a year.

Didactics: 1-2 times a week.

OR Experience: This program has changed drastically around the time Fleming left because that’s when ortho took over. Podiatry has to run all trauma cases past the ortho attending, and it is up to the ortho if they want to defer the case to a podiatry attending. If ortho decides to take it, the resident will only get to do skin closure during the surgery. Residents don’t meet their numbers until middle of 3rd year, and the numbers they graduate with are barely above the minimum. The majority of 1st and 2nd year cases are dirty/wound stuff. Looking at the graduates numbers, they had about 70% dirty case, 20% fractures, 10% electives. Dr. Savelloni and Dr. Norton are awesome to work with because they bring in good cases and let the resident do nearly all of it. Most of the podiatry attendings will let residents do a decent 70-90% of the case, but the volume is just way too low and there are too many dirty cases.

Clinic Experience: Virtually none

Research Opportunities: N/A

Lifestyle: The days are very long and surgical volume is very low. They round early at like 4 or 5 AM. They have about 20-40 inpatients (across all 3 hospitals) at any one time. There is a lot of driving back-and-forth between hospitals that are about 20 minutes away from each other. Many days residents would sit around for hours with nothing to do, but they wouldn't leave till 6PM. Being on-call is pretty rough, with residents only getting 2-3 hours of sleep.

Pros: Residents are chill. Most podiatry attendings (not ortho) let the resident do a good portion of the case.

Cons: The 3 hospitals are not nice, with 1 of them being in an extremely dangerous area. Terribly low surgical numbers. They don’t reach the minimum requirement until 3rd year.

Overall Conclusion: The low surgical volume, very long hours, and run-down hospitals makes me strongly advise everyone to avoid this program at all costs.

Submitted Anonymously!

Program Name
: Jefferson Northeast (formerly Aria Health)

General Program/Hospital Info: Jefferson Torresdale, Bucks, Frankford

Attendings: Dr. Savelloni (Director), Dr. Miller, Dr. Norton, Dr. Collins, Dr. Shinder etc.

Residents: Take 3 a year.

Didactics: 1-2 times a week.

OR Experience: This program has changed drastically around the time Fleming left because that’s when ortho took over. Podiatry has to run all trauma cases past the ortho attending, and it is up to the ortho if they want to defer the case to a podiatry attending. If ortho decides to take it, the resident will only get to do skin closure during the surgery. Residents don’t meet their numbers until middle of 3rd year, and the numbers they graduate with are barely above the minimum. The majority of 1st and 2nd year cases are dirty/wound stuff. Looking at the graduates numbers, they had about 70% dirty case, 20% fractures, 10% electives. Dr. Savelloni and Dr. Norton are awesome to work with because they bring in good cases and let the resident do nearly all of it. Most of the podiatry attendings will let residents do a decent 70-90% of the case, but the volume is just way too low and there are too many dirty cases.

Clinic Experience: Virtually none

Research Opportunities: N/A

Lifestyle: The days are very long and surgical volume is very low. They round early at like 4 or 5 AM. They have about 20-40 inpatients (across all 3 hospitals) at any one time. There is a lot of driving back-and-forth between hospitals that are about 20 minutes away from each other. Many days residents would sit around for hours with nothing to do, but they wouldn't leave till 6PM. Being on-call is pretty rough, with residents only getting 2-3 hours of sleep.

Pros: Residents are chill. Most podiatry attendings (not ortho) let the resident do a good portion of the case.

Cons: The 3 hospitals are not nice, with 1 of them being in an extremely dangerous area. Terribly low surgical numbers. They don’t reach the minimum requirement until 3rd year.

Overall Conclusion: The low surgical volume, very long hours, and run-down hospitals makes me strongly advise everyone to avoid this program at all costs.
I would expect this once Justin Fleming left. Once he left ortho took control. It is really shameful that they were hands off on foot and ankle trauma and then once Fleming leaves they act like a-holes to podiatry. Very very sad. I rotated at Aria as a student when Fleming was there and was blown away by the quality and quantity of cases being done. Days were super long but worth it because the quality of the cases being done (both trauma and complicated recon) were very high.

They see everything from elective haglund's detach reattach, bunions, charcot recon, inpatient diabetic foot infection stuff. Very wide variety.
Didn't see them having any issues with ortho- they are listed under the ortho department.
Call seemed manageable despite 1 resident a year.
Unsure about trauma.

Realistically- you will not be doing more than 5% trauma when you get out in practice. Ankle, calc, maybe the odd open fx sure. It is important to know how to manage them and surgically fix them, but it is not the end all be all when you get out.

Whatever floats your boat.

Edit: Look up their website and reach out to a current resident. Best way to get info from the source. Email them. Not that hard.
Fixed it for you

I would expect this once Justin Fleming left. Once he left ortho took control. It is really shameful that they were hands off on foot and ankle trauma and then once Fleming leaves they act like a-holes to podiatry. Very very sad. I rotated at Aria as a student when Fleming was there and was blown away by the quality and quantity of cases being done. Days were super long but worth it because the quality of the cases being done (both trauma and complicated recon) were very high.
Shows importance of programs with a large number attendings. Can't put all your eggs in one basket. It's great until it's not.

Any recent reviews on Swedish Seattle? From what I heard they scrambled in recent years. Also posted a PGY-1 opening this year too