Forum Members PMSR/RRA Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^ I'm sure all the patients enjoy the fact that a podiatry student is doing all the amputations in the OR, and that the attendings "rarely scrub" lol

I can bet you that the student being guided by a JPS resident is probably doing a better job lobbing off that toe than many “board certified” TFPs out there. Same for the cases where the resident is being guided by an attending.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Submitted Anonymously!!!

Program Name:
LECOM

General Program/Hospital Info:
Millcreek Community Hospital is the hospital it is based out of. UPMC Hamot is where residents seem to spend a lot of their time while on call. St. Vincent seems to be hit or miss for add on cases.

Attendings:
Dr. Lee was the director but transitioned to Dr. Hankins I believe. Dr. Lee now is the dean of the school. Drs. Hankins, Heard, Colonna, Mortiz are main attendings from what I saw. I believe there are around 20 total attendings. Dr. Colonna does a lot of MIS. Dr. Moritz has a very busy clinic. Sometimes 100 patients on certain days, which the residents primarily do the work. He requires 2 2nd or 3rd year residents to double scrub his cases. Dr. Colonna is the strongest surgeon of the bunch. Also nice to residents and students unlike a couple of the other attendings.

Residents:
Take 3 a year. Do not appear to love this program unless an attending is listening. 1st years work a lot. 12 weeks of call which doesn't seem bad but it seemed like it was bunched mostly in the first half of the year or the 2nd half of the year. One resident was on call every other week, Sunday to Sunday. Hospital rounds are sometimes done at 3am because some attendings want you to see all patients prior to them getting there. Mostly wounds in hospital. Large inpatient list at times (wounds). Do a lot of wound care for other services in hospital from what I saw. Second years take call. Third years do not really take call. Overall, residents were nice. You can tell they get a lot of work dumped on them though.

Didactics:
Once per week for an hour or so. Not a strong part of this program. Did not really go over much. Extern presentation per usual. 1st years do journal club. Not a lot of discussion.

OR Experience:
Decent amount of cases. 1-2 OR days, but some days still have clinic duties after/before cases. Double scrubbing for one attending's cases. Multiple surgery centers and hospitals to cover. Primarily forefoot, limb salvage, dirty, MIS cases, some rearfoot cases. Because of ortho residencies at both hospitals, they don't get ankle cases at all. No trauma. They scrub with ortho to get more exposure. First years do dirty cases right away. Progress to more in elective cases.

Clinic Experience:
Lots of clinic. Lots of nails. Some attendings have 100+ patients, others have 35+ cases. The residents seem to be pretty strong in clinic. They see the patients, present plan to attending, and residents do the treatment (injections, procedures, etc). Lots of driving from one morning clinic to another afternoon clinic. Sometimes nursing homes over lunch or at end of day. Residents said this was pretty common a few times per month. Not all residents have to go each time.

Research Opportunities:
Not really a focus. Residents said they do one project per year but can be a case study. This is done through LECOM and all residents are required. Master's degree no longer required though. Not sure if it is still free if you want to do it. Residents were unsure.

Lifestyle:
2nd and 3rd year residents seemed to have better work life balance. First years seemed to be struggling with demand. 3rd years had it the best-- no call, fewer obligations, could pick surgeries they wanted to do.

Pros:

-Cheap cost of living.

-MIS training if you want it.

-Decent surgery #s.

-Strong clinically.

Cons:

-Call schedule. One resident on call Sunday to Sunday, frequently every other week for half a year. No dedicated off service rotations. Maybe spend a couple days on off service rotation. Residents that were off service were on service to be honest. Calls are mostly infection cases to ED.

-No ankle fractures or cases. No strong rearfoot training. No trauma. Ortho residencies get dibs on cases; get all ankle/trauma cases.

-Lots of nails in clinic. Nail/wound consults in hospital.

Overall Conclusion:

If you want to be strong clinically, good program. There is a decent amount of surgery and residents definitely meet their numbers. The downside really is the lack of trauma, rearfoot, or ankle cases. It is primarily limb salvage, dirty cases, forefoot focused. Lots of nails in clinic and nail/wound consults in hospital when I was with resident. Not a bad program, just a particular type of experience at the program.

agreed, lots of trauma. Definitely the best program in the Philly area. Their chief resident 2022-2023 is so good it's intimidating, she fixed an ankle fracture (isolated fib) and tourniquet time was 24 min flat, pretty impressive.
Yeah I also agree, did the “big name” programs around the Philly area. Jefferson Northeast was on another level compared to the others. Not to say the others were bad. But sheesh Jeff residents were the best in the OR by far of any program I visited. The residency director there makes the programs attendings let the residents do every case skin to skin from what was explained. Seems like they expect a lot of interns in the OR day 1 and by year 3 they’re all complete animals in the OR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Program Name: Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven CT

General Program/Hospital Info: Covers Yale (York St.) main hospital, Yale's St. Raphel's, VACT, and 9+ surgery centers and more.

Attendings: Dr. Vyce is the residency director, Dr. Riveria is the director at the VACT, Dr. Peter Blume, Dr. Gazes, and other many younger attendings who are previous graduates of this program all bring in high surgical volume.

Residents: 5 per year. There is very little attending oversight and since pod is a primary service there are so many inpatients. 3rd years still take call because the program is too busy otherwise. Residents have incredible hand skills, are very smart, and are very independent. They all do the surgery while the attending usually watches and steps in when necessary.

Didactics: Mostly recon (Dr. Riveria did 2 fellowships in recon and is incredible at it), diverse array of cases otherwise.

OR Experience: Rarely do residents double scrub on any surgical cases, residents are expected to do (or at least attempt to do) skin-to-skin cases. The attendings are very hands-off with the knife and are willing to let residents try to figure things out on their own with some guidance. Since Podiatry is its own department, Dr. Vyce has equal say in decision-making as other departments (i.e. plastics, ortho, etc.) so the ORs (2 at a time) are always blocked off for podiatry. The start time is very early 7 am and quick turnover and will keep going until 2 am or later (on Fridays especially), so residents seem exhausted but they all surpass their numbers. A hierarchy system is in place (i.e. first years do dirty cases, the second year is fore foot, 3rd year is rear foot), and all first years meet and quadruple their numbers for first-year cases by mid December (more than other programs in the country). As a student, you won't get to see the more complex 3rd-year cases as you will mostly be with first years and the 3rd years operate mostly at surgical centers/locations where students aren't approved to go. If you ask a resident to show you numbers, you'll see graduating #s are above 1500 which is very high.

Clinic Experience: Dr. Vyce clinic and Dr. Gazes clinic are once a week, residents are expected to run it essentially.

Research Opportunities: Many opportunities as Dr. Blume has published a notable angiosome paper with Dr. Attinger (plastic surgeon at Georgetown, but both trained at Yale) and is into research. One current resident is a DPM/PhD so as you can expect, there are annual publications coming out of this program.

Lifestyle: Residents look exhausted, definitely not short of work/case volume when they are on service. A nice balance when they are off service. In-patient list at a single hospital can run up to 30's in number, and since it's a primary service the residents are managing a lot of responsibility. Fantastic relationship with plastic surgery department and very well respected by MDs/different specialties, so residents seem to really enjoy off service rotations.

Pros: A lot of autonomy so that you learn how to become a self-sufficient practitioner. Lots of surgeries. Really personable attendings who are passionate about teaching. Great diversity of cases. Although being a primary service is stressful, you learn a lot about medicine and how to manage multiple aspects of patient care. Graduates of the program are able to secure very well-paying jobs or fellowships.

Cons: Seems as though the first-year residents are really stressed while on service, but they are very capable of managing what needs to be done. New Haven is expensive but you can manage considering first year pay is 74K and increases so that as a 3rd year you are above 80K.

Overall Conclusion: If you want a surgical heavy program that is well-rounded, this is it. If you want to learn how to manage patients and feel prepared to be able to work anywhere upon graduating, this is the program for you.
🤔 They scrambled 2 years in a row along with an opening of a resident spot last year (unclear whether it was a transfer or if they were fired). Written by a new member during the scramble. Yeah totally believe this review

Reactions: 6 users
Here’s the official scramble list from last year’s MPII ^

Attachments

• 2022 Unfilled Positions by State.pdf
    209.5 KB · Views: 272
🤔 They scrambled 2 years in a row along with an opening of a resident spot last year (unclear whether it was a transfer or if they were fired). Written by a new member during the scramble. Yeah totally believe this review
I had to go back in my archives to confirm and pull the screenshot of 2021 MPII, but Yale also scrambled my year in 2021.

As someone who rotated there in 2020, I can confirm that that review is completely false on numerous accounts. There’s a reason why they scramble every year. I’ll leave it at that as I’m not trying to bash any program & this is a very small field.
53062996-B525-4C7F-AB6D-359C2C06FA7E.png

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't have known about 2021, but thanks for sharing. I respect your opinion, but no this review isn't false it was just my experience as a 3rd year. You also rotated during the pandemic which I'm sure was a different take. Again, I don't think scrambling is saying all too much. I went to a lot of programs that ended up scrambling but enjoyed my time there.
I've also heard from people who rotated there and it was nothing like what you've written.

Your review can stay that's fine. The more data points the better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I've heard that as well, but the same could be said about anywhere you go. People like places that I absolutely did not enjoy. I enjoyed a program down south that ended up in the scramble this year, yet all I've heard from classmates was their negative experience. Everything is subjective so my review is just one glimpse. I also wrote a positive review for a program in the Philadelphia area that has had consistent bad reviews, but I enjoyed the program and saw many positives. Everything is subjective my friend.

Program Name: Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven CT

General Program/Hospital Info: Covers Yale (York St.) main hospital, Yale's St. Raphel's, VACT, and 9+ surgery centers and more.

Attendings: Dr. Vyce is the residency director, Dr. Riveria is the director at the VACT, Dr. Peter Blume, Dr. Gazes, and other many younger attendings who are previous graduates of this program all bring in high surgical volume.

Residents: 5 per year. There is very little attending oversight and since pod is a primary service there are so many inpatients. 3rd years still take call because the program is too busy otherwise. Residents have incredible hand skills, are very smart, and are very independent. They all do the surgery while the attending usually watches and steps in when necessary.

Didactics: Mostly recon (Dr. Riveria did 2 fellowships in recon and is incredible at it), diverse array of cases otherwise.

OR Experience: Rarely do residents double scrub on any surgical cases, residents are expected to do (or at least attempt to do) skin-to-skin cases. The attendings are very hands-off with the knife and are willing to let residents try to figure things out on their own with some guidance. Since Podiatry is its own department, Dr. Vyce has equal say in decision-making as other departments (i.e. plastics, ortho, etc.) so the ORs (2 at a time) are always blocked off for podiatry. The start time is very early 7 am and quick turnover and will keep going until 2 am or later (on Fridays especially), so residents seem exhausted but they all surpass their numbers. A hierarchy system is in place (i.e. first years do dirty cases, the second year is fore foot, 3rd year is rear foot), and all first years meet and quadruple their numbers for first-year cases by mid December (more than other programs in the country). As a student, you won't get to see the more complex 3rd-year cases as you will mostly be with first years and the 3rd years operate mostly at surgical centers/locations where students aren't approved to go. If you ask a resident to show you numbers, you'll see graduating #s are above 1500 which is very high.

Clinic Experience: Dr. Vyce clinic and Dr. Gazes clinic are once a week, residents are expected to run it essentially.

Research Opportunities: Many opportunities as Dr. Blume has published a notable angiosome paper with Dr. Attinger (plastic surgeon at Georgetown, but both trained at Yale) and is into research. One current resident is a DPM/PhD so as you can expect, there are annual publications coming out of this program.

Lifestyle: Residents look exhausted, definitely not short of work/case volume when they are on service. A nice balance when they are off service. In-patient list at a single hospital can run up to 30's in number, and since it's a primary service the residents are managing a lot of responsibility. Fantastic relationship with plastic surgery department and very well respected by MDs/different specialties, so residents seem to really enjoy off service rotations.

Pros: A lot of autonomy so that you learn how to become a self-sufficient practitioner. Lots of surgeries. Really personable attendings who are passionate about teaching. Great diversity of cases. Although being a primary service is stressful, you learn a lot about medicine and how to manage multiple aspects of patient care. Graduates of the program are able to secure very well-paying jobs or fellowships.

Cons: Seems as though the first-year residents are really stressed while on service, but they are very capable of managing what needs to be done. New Haven is expensive but you can manage considering first year pay is 74K and increases so that as a 3rd year you are above 80K.

Overall Conclusion: If you want a surgical heavy program that is well-rounded, this is it. If you want to learn how to manage patients and feel prepared to be able to work anywhere upon graduating, this is the program for you.

100% false. I know grads from this program and students that rotated through.

It was a different Yale program that scrambled last year (Bridgeport). This year's Yale is the "bigger" name one. From what I've heard, it's good training but very heavy on wound care and has rough hours.

Are you sure? cause based on this there's an open spot OPEN RESIDENCY POSITIONS - The American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine (AACPM)

maybe I'm wrong, but it was just my understanding when applying to externships
Legacy did not scramble, that open position was due to a resident transferring in the middle of their first year. That position was filled a long time ago, they just haven't updated the website.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It was a different Yale program that scrambled last year (Bridgeport). This year's Yale is the "bigger" name one. From what I've heard, it's good training but very heavy on wound care and has rough hours.

Legacy did not scramble, that open position was due to a resident transferring in the middle of their first year. That position was filled a long time ago, they just haven't updated the website.

Scrambled in 2021
Resident quit?/fired? 2022
Scrambled 2023

Not a stellar recent track record

Program Name: Scripps Mercy San Diego

4 residents a year. residents rotate between scripps mercy and the kaiser rotations in second year. 1st years are at scripps mercy.

Attendings:
Cullen, Rice, Lee, and a few others at mercy + Kaiser attendings+ Dr. Green who does biomechanics clinic. 3rd year residents either goes to fontana, sac or the chief says in SD.

Residents:
4 per year (2 to kasier sac, 1 to fontanna, and 1 at SD). Very down to earth very chill.

Didactics:
2x a week + Rad rounds weekly. Definitely a lot, but the didactics consists of lectures and in person labs. Really solid stuff in my opinion.
Biomechanics clinic 1x a month with rice or Dr. green... Dr. Green will pimp you for hours about compensation for pronation and supination haha. It ended up helping a ton for boards so I'm not complaining.

Rad rounds were pretty intense but they were helpful for interviews. They put it on for the students and as long as you're reading and practicing x-ray reads its not too bad.

OR Experience:
Residents do a lot at scripps mercy. Attendings set you up for success. Most attendings let the resident do a lot. Kaiser rotations were the same way. There are quite a few uncovered cases so residents can drive around and do cases all day if they wanted if nothing is going on at their site. Residents skill set was good imo. A few attendings will pimp you pretty aggressively but if you've read crozier its all good.

In terms of pathology I felt like they saw a fair amount of everything.

Clinic Experience:
2 days of clinic a week with the pgy1s. They see a lot there (trauma, wound care, elective). good exposure.

Research Opportunities:
Very research heavy but they have support to be research heavy

Lifestyle:
Work hard play hard.

Pros:
I liked the schedule a lot. If you like the rigid schedule this is an excellent program for you. I liked the academics. If you do not like academics this probably is not a great place for you.

They learn good surgical techniques and are given the opportunity to practice and be hands on.

I felt like the attendings really cared about teaching the residents to be the best they could be. great environment to learn.

Good resident culture

Scripps pays for you to go to conferences and training sessions.

Cons:
San Diego is expensive.

Overall Conclusion: Talking with classmates you either liked this place or you didn't. I liked it. I would recommend this place to anyone. High powered program that pushes you to be the best.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted Anonymously!!!

Program Name: Heritage Valley Beaver in Beaver, PA

Heritage Valley Beaver which is a smaller hospital. Other locations, but as a student did not go there.

Attendings:
Drs. Hobizal and Wize are the director and assistant director respectively. Both were fellowship trained with Dr. Wukich. They are the main attendings. Residents work with other attendings as well, which do smaller cases, forefoot, typical podiatry clinic. No nails at Dr. Hobizal's clinic, but do them with other attendings.

Residents:
Take 3 a year. Second year has had a resident leave and another hired as a replacement. Third years seem to take on a lot of responsibility. They take on more call for Drs. Hobizal and Wize, including holding the pager over the weekends.

Didactics:
Once per week. Includes radiology rounds, case presentations, etc. Once per week there is usually a rep dinner where journal club takes place.

OR Experience:
Variety of cases including rearfoot, Charcot recons, etc. No shortage of cases. Double and triple scrubbing. Dr. Hobizal believes residents learn by being in on the surgeries so junior residents are learning by watching and assisting their seniors perform cases. She also tends to take the blade on intricate or interesting parts of the surgery. Third years do appear to do a lot of the surgery but not always skin to skin. Students do scrub cases, but are asked to step out and get lunch for the team since their cafeteria closes at a certain time.

Clinic Experience:
Clinic with Drs. Hobizal and Wize was a lot more interesting than with the other attendings. Sometimes she performs the treatment, sometimes the residents do. She goes in each room and speaks with the patient, along with resident. Students do not do anything in clinic other than shadow. She does ask students and residents a lot of questions. She does teach throughout clinic.

Research Opportunities:
Encouraged to publish at this program. Unsure of when residents do this; appears to be on their own time.

Lifestyle:
I had varied feedback from the residents about this. They seem pretty stressed out, especially third years. They tend to spend time together and go out together. It seems call can get pretty hectic at times. I can't give a great answer on this as each resident had something different to say.

Pros:
- Plenty of surgeries with diversity of cases (Charcot, TAR, talus replacement, etc)
- First years are not banished to run floors or only take call.

Cons:
-
Double/triple scrubbing and having to scrub out to get food for everyone.
- Long hours on service. add on surgeries have gone until 12am-1am.
- Taking more call/more responsibility as a third year compared to first year.
- Not doing much in clinic or surgery some of the time.
- Working with some of the other podiatrists in the area - nail jail. I think this is called "pod med" month.

Overall Conclusion:
Good amount of surgeries but will be double or triple scrubbed for "experience." There are some egos at play in this program but for the most part, people are fine. Breaking scrub to get lunch for the team is definitely an annoyance. If there's no student, a resident does it. More work/call during third year where as other programs give more time to find a job/fellowship. Attendings lean on third years more it seems like. Fellowships are encouraged here. I think one third year is going to a fellowship this year. Director and assistant director are good at what they do and are good teachers. Cool cases but the blade is not always handed over depending on how "cool" or difficult the case. Director is prevalent on social media and is trying to bring attention to the program.

Submitted Anonymously!!!

Program Name: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC)- Mercy

General Program/Hospital Info: The main hospital is UPMC Mercy. There are rotations at UPMC East, Pittsburgh VA, and other smaller hospitals, offices, and private practices.

Attendings: Dr. Manway (Director), Dr. Lowery, Dr. Scanlan, Dr. Nicklas, Dr. Nick Lowery. Most of the attendings you encounter are very knowledgeable and friendly.

Residents: There are many residents at the program (5 per year), and some are easier to get along with than others. Surgical skills seem highly variable among residents.

Didactics: 2-3 times a week at 6 am. These academic meetings felt like a waste of time for the most part. Some nights they have rep dinners or labs as well.

OR Experience: Almost every single case will be double scrubbed regardless of difficulty, although the 1st assist (and the attending) are the only ones that touch the knife during the surgery. Surgery is usually 1 to 2 times a week depending on the rotation. The Manway and VA rotations are where the residents get most of their numbers. Dr. Burns is no longer with the program which is a pretty big hit to their surgical numbers. The pod surgery rotation didn’t seem good; the residents on that service often times had no surgeries to attend and would end up helping out in the clinic or observing a surgery that was already double scrubbed. The main surgeries done at the program are amputations/I&Ds, 1st MPJ fusions, and charcot recons. You won’t see much diversity in clean cases. Most residents get 2-3 TARs under their belt before graduating. The relationship between ortho and podiatry is really bad. The redeeming quality of the program is the fact that the main attendings will let the first assist do most of the procedure.

Clinic Experience: Clinic was usually 3 days a week and it was usually >40-50 patients a day. You will see a lot of wound care, as well as some routine nail care and calluses. The residents write the notes and take part in the billing aspect. Residents are usually spending a couple hours after clinic finishing all the notes for that day. The positive aspect here is that at least you will be good at billing by the time you graduate. But personally, I felt there was way too much time spent in the clinic. As far as hospital rounding, each resident sees about 3-5 inpatients a day.

Lifestyle: The hours here are long. Round at 5am, academics at 6am, clinic till 5 or 6pm, finish notes (couple hours).

Pros: The main attendings are knowledgeable, will teach you, and let residents do skin-to-skin frequently. You will be good at billing. Surgical volume is above average (log about 700-800 cases and 1000-1300 procedures)

Cons:
Way too much clinic. Way too many academic sessions. A lot of wound care and amputations.
Not a lot of diversity in elective procedures.
Everything double scrubbed.
Pittsburgh is an ugly city and the Mercy hospital area is dangerous.

Overall Conclusion: UPMC Mercy will definitely prepare you to do most surgeries comfortably and be ready for the clinical aspect of podiatry. The sheer amount of clinic and academics made the experience unenjoyable for me. The program would be a lot better off if they changed their academic schedule, reduced the amount of time residents spend in the clinic, and maybe even started taking 4 residents per year. I’d recommend this program to someone who loves charcot recon, wound care, and clinic.

Reactions: 3 users
Submitted Anonymously!!!

Program Name: Inova Fairfax

General Program/Hospital Info: Inova Fairfax, Inova Fair Oaks, various surgery centers

Attendings: Dr. Derner, Dr. Creech, Dr. Hallivis

Residents: Take 4 a year

Didactics: About 3x/week. Every Monday is a cadaver lab which is pretty educational. They spend about 30 minutes giving a presentation on a topic and then 30 minutes practicing the procedure. They have 5-6 cadaver legs at a time which are changed out every month or so. They do multiple radiology rounds, grand rounds, journal clubs throughout the month. Most people would probably agree it’s a lot of academics.

OR Experience: Elective and reconstructive cases happening every week. The few dirty cases that come in are usually for first years. The "big name" attendings, Derner and Creech, are almost always double-scrubbed and they don’t pass the knife. The outside attendings let residents do a decent amount of the case though, and most of the 3rd years seemed good with their hands.

Clinic Experience: Wound care clinic every Wednesday where a resident goes and writes notes for all the patients but doesn’t do much else.

Research Opportunities: Creech is in charge of research projects and it seems every resident is expected to be involved in some sort of research .

Lifestyle: Residents usually rounding at 4 or 5am and then wait around for consults or for an attending if they decide to round on a patient. They make students stock the rooms with supplies during the day. First years have long hours, and second years on ortho take 24-hour call which can be rough. All the off-service rotations are pretty intense.

Pros: Above average case load, although some cases will just be retracting. Majority of cases are clean.

Cons: Some attendings don’t pass the knife. Double-scrubbing some attendings. Lots of academics.

Overall Conclusion: One of the few programs worth considering if you’re looking at places in DC, MD, VA, or PA. There are other programs that might be a better fit though if you’d like to get the knife more or don’t want to be bogged down with academics. If you’re okay with the program’s environment, which can be perceived as toxic at times, then this is a decent program to check out.

Im a student that rotated at Yale this past year and I must say this review is pretty spot on to the experience I had. I just want to clarify one thing in one of the subsequent comments as well as add some more about the Pros and cons of the program. First off there are two programs affliated with the Yale system. Yale Bridgeport which is smaller and very good in its own right and the main campus Yale New Haven which is much larger. The Yale New haven campus is the program that the orignal person reviewed which I agreed with. Yale New Haven is a great program that will definitely set anyone up extremely well.

Yale New Haven did not scramble two years in a row. Last year bridgeport scrambled and New Haven didnt so that person was mistaken.

Additionally, I want to highlight the location of Yale New Haven hospital, its in the heart of New Haven which is lively young city. Also, cost of living compared to the pay is one of the best ratios in the Northeast! There are beaches, restaurants, bars, clubs, and plenty of affordable luxury apartments. Aside from the numerous pros that where previously mentioned I also wanted to add the scope of practice is great with full capability to treat ankles. The con that I will say is that program is extremely serious about GPA which is a pro or con depending on who you ask.

Scrambled in 2021
Resident quit?/fired? 2022
Scrambled 2023

Not a stellar recent track record
If im not mistaken in 2021 they didnt accept externs due to covid so thats why they didnt fill a spot. In 2022 the person left I dont know why but that spot was quickly filled by a quality resident from what I saw. This year not too sure why they scrambled beyond being too prestigous which is the con I eluded too. Yale historically is one of the best programs in podiatry, every good program scrambles once in awhile. I agree its not the best track record but as someone who went there as a student I do not at all think that reflects the quality of the program. Even after the match I feel strongly that this is a great program.

Submitted Anonymously!!!

Program Name:
Heritage Valley Beaver in Beaver, PA

Heritage Valley Beaver which is a smaller hospital. Other locations, but as a student did not go there.

Attendings:
Drs. Hobizal and Wize are the director and assistant director respectively. Both were fellowship trained with Dr. Wukich. They are the main attendings. Residents work with other attendings as well, which do smaller cases, forefoot, typical podiatry clinic. No nails at Dr. Hobizal's clinic, but do them with other attendings.

Residents:
Take 3 a year. Second year has had a resident leave and another hired as a replacement. Third years seem to take on a lot of responsibility. They take on more call for Drs. Hobizal and Wize, including holding the pager over the weekends.

Didactics:
Once per week. Includes radiology rounds, case presentations, etc. Once per week there is usually a rep dinner where journal club takes place.

OR Experience:
Variety of cases including rearfoot, Charcot recons, etc. No shortage of cases. Double and triple scrubbing. Dr. Hobizal believes residents learn by being in on the surgeries so junior residents are learning by watching and assisting their seniors perform cases. She also tends to take the blade on intricate or interesting parts of the surgery. Third years do appear to do a lot of the surgery but not always skin to skin. Students do scrub cases, but are asked to step out and get lunch for the team since their cafeteria closes at a certain time.

Clinic Experience:
Clinic with Drs. Hobizal and Wize was a lot more interesting than with the other attendings. Sometimes she performs the treatment, sometimes the residents do. She goes in each room and speaks with the patient, along with resident. Students do not do anything in clinic other than shadow. She does ask students and residents a lot of questions. She does teach throughout clinic.

Research Opportunities:
Encouraged to publish at this program. Unsure of when residents do this; appears to be on their own time.

Lifestyle:
I had varied feedback from the residents about this. They seem pretty stressed out, especially third years. They tend to spend time together and go out together. It seems call can get pretty hectic at times. I can't give a great answer on this as each resident had something different to say.

Pros:
- Plenty of surgeries with diversity of cases (Charcot, TAR, talus replacement, etc)
- First years are not banished to run floors or only take call.

Cons:
-
Double/triple scrubbing and having to scrub out to get food for everyone.
- Long hours on service. add on surgeries have gone until 12am-1am.
- Taking more call/more responsibility as a third year compared to first year.
- Not doing much in clinic or surgery some of the time.
- Working with some of the other podiatrists in the area - nail jail. I think this is called "pod med" month.

Overall Conclusion:
Good amount of surgeries but will be double or triple scrubbed for "experience." There are some egos at play in this program but for the most part, people are fine. Breaking scrub to get lunch for the team is definitely an annoyance. If there's no student, a resident does it. More work/call during third year where as other programs give more time to find a job/fellowship. Attendings lean on third years more it seems like. Fellowships are encouraged here. I think one third year is going to a fellowship this year. Director and assistant director are good at what they do and are good teachers. Cool cases but the blade is not always handed over depending on how "cool" or difficult the case. Director is prevalent on social media and is trying to bring attention to the program.
Can anyone comment on why Burns left UPMC? That’s a big blow to their program. I saw he is now at WVU.

Submitted Anonymously!!!

Program Name:

Swedish Medical Center in Seattle, WA

Very surgical heavy program. 30+ attendings. Lots of diversity in cases. Trauma, recons, basic dirty cases, elective cases, total ankles/talus, etc. Multiple locations, however first years usually stick to the main campus area so that they don't have trouble getting back for consults. Lots of call however, it is reasonable. There is a first, second, and third year on service each month. First years take day call everyday while on service. Night call is split up between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd years. No one takes more than 3 or 4 nights of call in a row it seems. Busy program but the residents are confident, smart, and have good hand skills.

Attendings:
Director is Dr. Hale. Lots of notable attendings here, several seem really involved. Love to teach. More than 30 total, including some past residents that have stuck around. Dr. Christensen does the majority of his total ankles with residents here. Either 2nd or 3rd years scrub his cases. Students are able to scrub in on them too. He likes to teach.

Residents:
Take 2 per year. Only 1 is per academic year is on service at a time.

Didactics:
Lots of academics. I believe they cut down on the amount of academics they are doing (in terms of number of presentations students need to make). Students make 2 presentations (1 short presentation, 1 extern presentation), and then present 1 journal article. Residents also have research/journal club with Dr. Christensen every Tuesday morning.

OR Experience:
Lots of surgery. Each resident scrubs multiple cases each day. The main responsibilities are seeing consults and scrubbing cases. Residents typically finish their numbers before the end of their first year. Large diversity in cases. First years get plenty of elective cases, not just dirty cases. Whoever is on call does the add on cases.

Clinic Experience:
Resident run clinic on Thursdays. This is usually run by a third year. I believe there's a clinic month with various attendings as well. Not sure how many times they do the clinic month rotation each year.

Research Opportunities:
As many opportunities as desired. Each resident has to do at least one poster/project each year. Also go to IFAF meetings in Seattle twice per year.

Lifestyle:
It appeared pretty busy but residents did try and hang out with each other once a week or so. They keep in regular contact with each other. Not sure how much vacation they get, but a resident was on vacation while I was there. Residents did not seem miserable but definitely worked hard.

Pros:
- Lots of surgery.
- Diversity in cases.
- Chance to do most, if not all of the cases starting in first year (although more so 2nd year).
- Attendings are good teachers. Explain things to residents and students. Not rude about it.
- Strong off service rotations.
- Relocation money/ stipend for housing (not giant, but something).
- Team atmosphere.
- Being in Seattle.
- Working with notable attendings. Attendings seem very invested.
- Academics (pro and con).

Cons:
- Some months are hard and longer hours from what was explained.
- Some off service rotations are tough.
- Lots of academics (pro and con).
- Lots of first year responsibilities. Take more call as a first year. Still take quite a bit of call as a second year, but 3rd years did not take as much.
- Not as much clinic. If you want a clinic heavy program, this is not the one.

Overall Conclusion:
Good experience. Student friendly rotation. Lots of interesting surgeries; very heavy surgical load. Residents meet their numbers early on and seem very confident in the OR. Good program if you want to operate every single day. Some of the days seemed really long and the residents had to commute to multiple locations. Overall, residents seem really happy with their choice in program. Attendings like to teach. Lots of courses paid; IFAF experiences. I believe they do a trip to Mexico or another international trip as a third year. Residents were open to feedback and communicated expectations well.

Submitted Anonymously!!!

Program Name:

University of Cincinnati Medical Center

General Program/Hospital Info: Large hospital system in Cincinnati, OH

Attendings:
Dr. Masadeh is the director. Dr. Hall, I believe used to be the director but stayed on as an attending. Dr. Masadeh does a lot of flaps and complicated soft tissue closures. Dr. Hall does mostly elective cases. A handful of other attendings that do a variety.

Residents:
2 per year. They lost 2 residents but filled their spots I'm pretty sure. This is a very busy program. Lots of call first year. Lots of late nights. I remember a resident sleeping in the resident office overnight because he was too tired to go home. Tend to take residents from Kent.

Didactics:
Academics twice per week; one is a cadaver lab in the evening. Dr. Masadeh talks a lot about one specific topic. Lots of dissection practice. He has high standards for his residents.

OR Experience:
Dr. Masadeh primarily works at the VA for his cases (another attending there too). Dr. Hall and other attendings operate elsewhere. Some driving involved to other locations but not too bad. 2nd and 3rd years do more elective cases; first years do dirty cases.

Clinic Experience:
Mostly 2nd years and 3rd years cover clinic. First years stick to floors and dirty cases mostly.

Research Opportunities:
Plenty of opportunities. Director and Assistant Director promote research. More time as a 2nd or 3rd year.

Lifestyle:
First year isn't great but more free time in subsequent years.

Pros:
- Lots of surgical exposure.
- Heavy on education. Residents are smart.
- Not a ridiculous amount of driving.
- Attendings pass the knife pretty quickly.
- Balance with surgery and clinic.
- Nice to externs. Do not overwork students.

Cons:
- More flaps, limb salvage cases vs elective. Not much trauma.
- Lots of hours first year.
- Academics in evenings-- can be late sometimes.

Overall Conclusion:
More of a limb salvage program. Residents were great to work with. They are bright. Lots of exposure to limb salvage; flaps. Loupes provided, and are used for work with Dr. Masadeh. Attendings and residents have a good rapport. First year is a lot of work; long hours. Not a trauma heavy program. Occasionally did nails in clinic but lots of wounds. No TARs or things of that nature.

Program Name: Jewish/St. Mary’s (now KentuckyOne Health)

General Program/Hospital Info: The residents are base out of the main hospital location downtown Louisville, large shared medical campus with U of L medical center, Corsair Children’s, Norton Audubon hospitals and specialized heart and lung centers among others.

Attendings: The director, Dr Ford, brings a high volume of elective bread and butter type cases along with good amounts of recon, also runs a clinic in the U of L outpatient center. The other main attending, Dr Hicks, is a graduate and past fellow of the program and handles a lot of the charcot and diabetic infections. He runs the wound clinic as well. Dr Kovatch is the externship director and is extremely approachable and willing to teach. He has a fairly balanced case load. Good relationship with 3 main ortho attendings. Residents spend a total of 4 months on a level 1 ortho trauma service with the chief of traumatology Dr Seligson. A total of 6 months are spent on service with F&A ortho attendings Dr Hockenbury (complex revision cases, recon and TARs) and Dr Gabriel who did both pediatric ortho and F&A fellowships and has a purely pediatric F&A practice. Also work with 10+ other pods in the surrounding area, primarily at outpatient surgery centers.

Residents:
Very relaxed group, many former college athletes. Fun atmosphere. Primarily male residents, but not the total boys club I witnessed at other programs. Residents take varied jobs ager graduation: a mix of orthopedic groups, hospital systems and private practices.

Didactics: Journal club once per month, usually sponsored. The resident’s held a fracture conference/discussion group once per month with students. Not a really “academic” program but the residents know their stuff. Not much pimping of students but open to discussing anything if you bring it up. Recently introduced a cadaver lab opportunity for dissection and fixation practice at U of L.

OR Experience:
Elective outpatient cases with the main 2 attendings (Ford and Hicks) are at the U of L outpatient surgical center or Jewish. The residents also cover 6 or so other surgery centers. Acute care is usually in the U of L main OR, sometimes at Jewish main or other hopsitals where the residents cover ED call. The residents have a lot of autonomy and are given the knife very early on during the 1st year. Everyone I worked with, including the 1st years, were very confident operating on their own and making decisions in the OR. The 2nd and 3rd years did every case I scrubbed skin to skin. No double scrubbing of residents unless both legs/feet were being worked on at the same time. As a student you will get to do as much as you are capable of and comfortable with. I was expected to close the skin on 90% of the cases I scrubbed, also did some deep closures, threw some screws and k wires, TMA bone cuts etc as the month went on.

Clinic Experience:
Wound care clinic is once a week, if you don’t have cases you can go. Resident clinic once a week and fellow clinic once a week, not heavily staffed by residents and only half the day for each. You are free to call any attendings office and spend time there in the PM after cases are finished if you want to. As a student you spend time in clinic with several of the main attendings.

Research Opportunities:
Many ACFAS posters are produced year to year with both the podiatry and ortho attendings, some leading to literature publication. The research director Dr. Adams is interested in ramping up the publication level coming from the program.

Lifestyle:
The surgical schedule is busy but you can do your work and go home on podiatry service. Very little wasted time on busywork on the floors. The residents enjoy their life outside of the OR and hospital. Outside rotations schedules vary, ortho trauma service is very busy, ID rotation is typical ID hours. ED rotation is at U of L and follows the ED shift work schedule.
Pros:
Good surgical diversity between elective, recon and acute trauma exposure
Early knife time as a 1st year, residents graduate with at least 4x surgical MAVs
Pretty good lifestyle compared to other higher volume residencies
Free food almost everywhere you go
Good benefits
Louisville is a cool city

Cons:
Average volume of complex flatfoot and cavus recon
Not highly academic
Some will prefer more structure in their training
Driving is required to surgery centers up to 20 minutes away

Overall Conclusion:
Jewish offers a unique blend of elective and acute surgery caseload. I visited several programs more heavily focused on one or the other, but not many offered the diversity I saw here during my month. The laid back program culture will not be to everyone’s liking, but the large volume of diverse cases and early operating experience makes the overall training environment highly desirable. As a student you won't be drilled constantly with questions so you will need to be self motivated to read, but the hands on experience can be very beneficial depending on your previous OR exposure.

General Program/Hospital Info: The residents are base out of the main hospital location downtown Louisville, large shared medical campus with U of L medical center, Corsair Children’s, Norton Audubon hospitals and specialized heart and lung centers among others.

Attendings: The director, Dr Ford, brings a high volume of elective bread and butter type cases along with good amounts of recon, also runs a clinic in the U of L outpatient center. The other main attending, Dr Hicks, is a graduate and past fellow of the program and handles a lot of the charcot and diabetic infections. He runs the wound clinic as well. Dr Kovatch is the externship director and is extremely approachable and willing to teach. He has a fairly balanced case load. Good relationship with 3 main ortho attendings. Residents spend a total of 4 months on a level 1 ortho trauma service with the chief of traumatology Dr Seligson. A total of 6 months are spent on service with F&A ortho attendings Dr Hockenbury (complex revision cases, recon and TARs) and Dr Gabriel who did both pediatric ortho and F&A fellowships and has a purely pediatric F&A practice. Also work with 10+ other pods in the surrounding area, primarily at outpatient surgery centers.

Residents:
Very relaxed group, many former college athletes. Fun atmosphere. Primarily male residents, but not the total boys club I witnessed at other programs. Residents take varied jobs ager graduation: a mix of orthopedic groups, hospital systems and private practices.

Didactics: Journal club once per month, usually sponsored. The resident’s held a fracture conference/discussion group once per month with students. Not a really “academic” program but the residents know their stuff. Not much pimping of students but open to discussing anything if you bring it up. Recently introduced a cadaver lab opportunity for dissection and fixation practice at U of L.

OR Experience:
Elective outpatient cases with the main 2 attendings (Ford and Hicks) are at the U of L outpatient surgical center or Jewish. The residents also cover 6 or so other surgery centers. Acute care is usually in the U of L main OR, sometimes at Jewish main or other hopsitals where the residents cover ED call. The residents have a lot of autonomy and are given the knife very early on during the 1st year. Everyone I worked with, including the 1st years, were very confident operating on their own and making decisions in the OR. The 2nd and 3rd years did every case I scrubbed skin to skin. No double scrubbing of residents unless both legs/feet were being worked on at the same time. As a student you will get to do as much as you are capable of and comfortable with. I was expected to close the skin on 90% of the cases I scrubbed, also did some deep closures, threw some screws and k wires, TMA bone cuts etc as the month went on.

Clinic Experience:
Wound care clinic is once a week, if you don’t have cases you can go. Resident clinic once a week and fellow clinic once a week, not heavily staffed by residents and only half the day for each. You are free to call any attendings office and spend time there in the PM after cases are finished if you want to. As a student you spend time in clinic with several of the main attendings.

Research Opportunities:
Many ACFAS posters are produced year to year with both the podiatry and ortho attendings, some leading to literature publication. The research director Dr. Adams is interested in ramping up the publication level coming from the program.

Lifestyle:
The surgical schedule is busy but you can do your work and go home on podiatry service. Very little wasted time on busywork on the floors. The residents enjoy their life outside of the OR and hospital. Outside rotations schedules vary, ortho trauma service is very busy, ID rotation is typical ID hours. ED rotation is at U of L and follows the ED shift work schedule.
Pros:
Early knife time as a 1st year, residents graduate with at least 4x surgical MAVs
Good benefits

Cons:
Not highly academic

Overall Conclusion:
Jewish offers a unique blend of elective and acute surgery caseload. I visited several programs more heavily focused on one or the other, but not many offered the diversity I saw here during my month. The laid back program culture will not be to everyone’s liking, but the large volume of diverse cases and early operating experience makes the overall training environment highly desirable. As a student you won't be drilled constantly with questions so you will need to be self motivated to read, but the hands on experience can be very beneficial depending on your previous OR exposure.

Residents:

OR Experience:

Clinic Experience:

Research Opportunities:

Lifestyle:
Pros:
Good benefits

Cons:
Not highly academic

Overall Conclusion:
The Jewish Hospital/KentuckyOne Residency and Fellowship Programs are now at the University of Louisville and the Department of Orthopaedics. (University of Louisville Podiatric Medicine and Surgical Residency Pgm and Reconstuctive foot/ankle & limb salvage fellowship) This occurred in 2019! The move has increased our research, MAV/Diversity, and overall strength of the programs. We continue to find areas for growth most recently in limb salvage and trauma ….Feel free to email me if any questions

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
The Jewish Hospital/KentuckyOne Residency and Fellowship Programs are now at the University of Louisville and the Department of Orthopaedics. (University of Louisville Podiatric Medicine and Surgical Residency Pgm and Reconstuctive foot/ankle & limb salvage fellowship) This occurred in 2019! The move has increased our research, MAV/Diversity, and overall strength of the programs. We continue to find areas for growth most recently in limb salvage and trauma ….Fell free to email me if any questions
Welcome to SDN, Dr. Ford! You run a solid program. KY proud!

I can bet you that the student being guided by a JPS resident is probably doing a better job lobbing off that toe than many “board certified” TFPs out there. Same for the cases where the resident is being guided by an attending.
Well hopefully the JPS resident wasn't being guided by their attending on how to bill.....

• Haha
I thought I read somewhere recently it’s not the greatest... scramble every year. Use the search function up top. Best of luck to you!
My coexterns from temple loved to crap on Crozier. VA Phoenix of the east lol

I thought the Crozer manual was helpful for externships so I’ve always thought highly of them. Although I never visited or know anyone from there. This is disheartening to hear
The manual was not bad... good Q&A format, super useful for fast review.
I guess we have to remember the occasional good resident or product/paper comes from low quality programs.

I was told by a few people to not bother visiting Crozer when I was in PA for a couple clerk months (West Penn and UPenn Presby). I was told by a few residents and other clerks that Presby and whatever Fleming's former one (on the come up at the time... but mainly a one-man-show) were worth considering... maybe Temple if you went there and couldn't get Presby. It is tough that so many big cities have so few good programs, but that's seemingly the case with almost every pod school city. I guess the cases and good attendings get spread thin.
In the end, I don't think I ever would have considered any Philly program after visiting the city for a month, though. Wow. Sure, Detroit or Cleve or ABQ are holes, but at least they're fairly cheap. Philly has the whole ugly crime + litter + traffic + weather thing in spades and it's expensive just like Boston or Miami or LA or much nicer big cities. It was just an old and dirty nasty city from corner to corner. I think it really hit home when I told a resident I was going to walk to the bars (just 3 or 4 blocks away), and he told me that'd be very dangerous walking back after dark. Yikes.

Last edited:
. Philly has the whole ugly crime + litter + traffic + weather thing in spades and it's expensive just like Boston or Miami or LA or much nicer big cities. It was just an old and dirty nasty city from corner to corner. I think it really hit home when I told a resident I was going to walk to the bars (just 3 or 4 blocks away), and he told me that'd be very dangerous walking back after dark. Yikes.
Pretty harsh but I also agree. Philly seemed extra skeezy when I was there. I didnt really enjoy it. Pretty awesome food city though.

I spent some time at DMC. Not sure that was any better.... Lived north of 12 mile drive but driving into detroit daily was a blast. Detroit style pizza is a bit over rated.

Submitted Anonymously!!!

Program Name: Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS)

General Program/Hospital Info: Sentera Hospital systems (4 hospitals they cover inpatients, additional ones they cover surgery at)

Attendings: Dr. Bruno (Director), Dr. Agnew, Dr. Klimez, Dr. Chung etc.

Residents: Take 2 a year

Didactics: About once a week on zoom

OR Experience: Good case diversity ranging from bread-and-butter, lateral ankle stabilizations, pediatric flatfoot, trauma, and TARs. Half the attendings were hands-off, while the other half do the majority of cases. This is a very surgery heavy program which is excellent for anyone that is surgery hungry. Residents graduate with over 1000 cases.

Clinic Experience: Resident clinic every Wednesday for first years. Only a handful of patients.

Lifestyle: Call can be rough since they cover 4 hospitals. It seems a couple of the attendings were strict on having inpatients rounded on early in the morning which seemed unnecessary at times. Third years don’t take call.

Pros: Great case load. Great attendings and residents. The area is nice and 30 minutes from Virginia Beach.

Cons: Some attendings are more hands-on. Call at 4 hospitals.

Overall Conclusion: Probably one of the best programs in the northeast. No doubt a competitive program. Great place for anyone who is willing to take on the large workload in exchange for doing tons of surgery.

Avoid. They only graduated 1 senior in 2022, 2 should be graduating this year… They scrambled this year — to no one’s surprise — due to their extremely poor retention of attendings & low surgical case volume. A 2nd year transferred from LPS to another Florida program mid year due to the above mentioned problems and overall poor training.

Avoid. They [Larkin] only graduated 1 senior in 2022, 2 should be graduating this year… They scrambled this year — to no one’s surprise — due to their extremely poor retention of attendings & low surgical case volume. A 2nd year transferred from LPS to another Florida program mid year due to the above mentioned problems and overall poor training.
Concur... the Florida ones you want are Westside, Orlando, JFK.

Most others in FL are avg at best... Palmetto or UF Jax might be worth a look. South Miami was historically above avg but is now changed/buyout/disbanded. Talk to area residents... or your upperclassmen you go to Barry. Pick clerkships well to see the better programs; the lesser ones will be available to any good student with just a day visit or interview.

This is unfortunately how podiatry is in most big cities - especially in saturated pod school cities: a small handful of good programs, some adequate ones, many joke ones. Choose your clerkships wisely.

Encourage the students on here to contribute to the residency review thread.

Even if they are unknown/small name programs, every bit helps.

We can post anonymously on your behalf as well.
Simply private message myself or Dexter.

Per anonymous poster

Program name : Sanford Health, Sports Medicine and Orthopedics
General Program/Hospital Info: 3 Hospitals, within 10 minutes of each other. One Large new hospital is for inpatient coverage and inpatient/add-on cases, and all 1st year rotations. Main Sports Medicine and Orthopedics hospital is where Foot and Ankle Clinic and all of the elective cases are. Basically Ortho, Sports Medicine and Podiatry hospital. This is where the Foot and Ankle department and residency office are located. Clinic and OR in the same building which makes it super efficient.
Attendings: Dr. Uglem (Director), Dr. Naughton (Inova), Dr. McLister (Sanford), Dr. Anderson (AdventHealth East, Orlando) and Dr. Arness. All very busy in clinic and surgery.
Residents: Take 2 a year. They all seem to get a long very well. Have families, enjoy time outside of work. No drama. All seem as very knowledgeable and hardworking.
Didactics: Wednesdays afternoon, monthly M&M, monthly cadaver lab, and journal club.
OR Experience: Great case diversity. They have anything from bunions (MPJ fusions, lapidus), lat stabs, tendon and midfoot reconstruction to trauma, RRA reconstruction and some charcot and limb salvage. Lots of ankle fractures, calc fractures, lisfranc, AT ruptures and other foot and ankle trauma. Only Level 1 trauma hospital between WA/OR and Miinneapolis. About 50 TAR cases per year. Lots of rearfoot reconstruction procedures. Also, they do some ex-fix and charcot reconstruction. This is a very surgery heavy program which is excellent for anyone that is surgery hungry. Residents graduate with over 1400 cases. You will see almost anything at this program and will come out great surgeon. They never triple scrub. A lot of cases go single scrubbed at this program.
Clinic Experience: Residents see clinic patients when not in surgery. Best clinic set up I have seen hands down.
Lab: The best cadaver lab I have seen. Since they have Ortho residency program, they share same lab, equipment, etc. They use it to their advantage. They often have various cadaver labs with various vendors providing hardware and necessary support for training.
Lifestyle: Call is very manageable. It is enough to learn everything about inpatient management and add-on cases but not so rough. Residents have great lifestyle outside of residency. Most have families and enjoy time outside of work.
Pros: Great case load and diversity. Great attendings and residents. Great clinic set-up. Everything is very close. You won't have to drive more than 15 minutes anywhere. No unnecessary busy work. Great long-standing relationships with Orthopedics program. All 5 attendings have different training background.
Cons: North Dakota, cold weather, snow. But reportedly summers are great.
Overall Conclusion: One of the best programs in the west central midwest. Great place for anyone who wants to come out as a great surgeon with diverse surgical skills. All graduates have great job contracts even in their late 2nd to early 3rd year. Sanford is a large health system and has excellent support and recruitment structure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Per anonymous poster

Program name : Sanford Health, Sports Medicine and Orthopedics
Cons: North Dakota, cold weather, snow. But reportedly summers are great.
Overall Conclusion: One of the best programs in the west central midwest. ...
Yeah, that's awesome... this seems like a good up and coming program. Midwest seems much more conducive than east or west coasts to ortho-pod cooperation or at least non-conflict with hospital politics (not that midwest is immune either!). That's good news.

I have no idea how they got that many well-trained attendings who have training/options (relative to most DPMs) to go to Fargo, but that's a promising group. They must obviously pay them fairly well. They definitely need more core attendings to compete with more established Minn or Lacrosse or Det pod programs, but maybe that'll come along.

ND is not bad if you like to hunt and get outdoors and have winter hobbies, but the Minn airport has a whoooole lot more flight options. Bismark might have a few decent ones. That is annoying to have to add 3hrs or more both to and from the airport on each and every trip or job interviews, but it's still probably worth it for somebody who likes midwest. This is a cool program to keep an eye on.

...also, for anyone out on clerkships or rotating soon:
With new schools and match tightening a bit and some good programs closing/changing, if you do stumble across a sleeper program like this (not much name/hype but seemingly good training), I would post the review/praise and tell classmates etc AFTER match or starting pgy1. This is especially important if you might have trouble getting matched to other similar quality programs that are more well known. :thumbup:

Last edited:
anyone have a list of residency with a strong work life balance for those with a family ?

anyone have a list of residency with a strong work life balance for those with a family ?
VA programs... but honestly i feel like one of the lies told by podiatry schools is the work life balance. Especially in residency, the less you do the less prepared you are going to be for real life practice, especially from a surgical standpoint. The more you see and more importantly the more you DO, the more prepared you will be for real life podiatry practice. IMO the low bar set by minimum activity volume does not give you enough hands on experience to thrive as a surgeon.

Anybody have a review for the new CCF program? It's in its 2nd year of operation now. A review would be great ! Also looking for an updated advent health Orlando east.

Can anyone give insight into some jersey programs? Looking for:
-Jersey Shore Medical Center
-University Hospital (Rutgers). I did see some info about this program a little bit back, was looking to see if anyone could expand
-Jefferson NJ
-Cooperman Barnabas
-Cooper University (Rowan affiliated one)
If these were mentioned in a previous thread recently please drop the link! Thank you guys in advance!

Can anyone give insight into some jersey programs? Looking for:
-Jersey Shore Medical Center
-University Hospital (Rutgers). I did see some info about this program a little bit back, was looking to see if anyone could expand
-Jefferson NJ
-Cooperman Barnabas
-Cooper University (Rowan affiliated one)
If these were mentioned in a previous thread recently please drop the link! Thank you guys in advance!

All below average training

Any reviews on Wyckoff Heights Medical Center in Brooklyn, NY?