Forum Members PMSR/RRA Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You will come out a very good/plus surgeon. Leave the medicine stuff to medicine people I say ...
I completely agree with you. I’ve heard many good things thus far it’s high on my radar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you please tell me a little bit more about that Boston Medical Center program ? Thank you so much

A quick search on the programs faculty can tell you the emphasis is mainly limb salvage stuff. And another search will likely tell you ortho has a strong presence there. There’s also a reason why this program is not as highly ranked compared to other MA programs. Unless you don’t feel competitive enough for a better program, I rather scramble. You only go through training once, you bet your bottom you need to maximize every opportunity before it’s over.

Reactions: 1 user
A quick search on the programs faculty can tell you the emphasis is mainly limb salvage stuff. And another search will likely tell you ortho has a strong presence there. There’s also a reason why this program is not as highly ranked compared to other MA programs. Unless you don’t feel competitive enough for a better program, I rather scramble. You only go through training once, you bet your bottom you need to maximize every opportunity before it’s over.
Thank you so much. I'm not gonna rank them :). I considered them for a back up but not anymore. Thanks again

Back in the day I visited the West Houston program. They were very clear that you received no credit for visiting. Therefore instead of visiting them I recommend you visit the El Tiempo Cantina. When I lived in Houston there were like 2 instead of like 20 now, but they had the best margaritas and fajitas.

Reactions: 3 users
Can confirm its not worth visiting. If i remember Heybrother only hurt himself/herself when visiting. And can confirm El Tiempo is fing amazing.
Back in the day I visited the West Houston program. They were very clear that you received no credit for visiting. Therefore instead of visiting them I recommend you visit the El Tiempo Cantina. When I lived in Houston there were like 2 instead of like 20 now, but they had the best margaritas and fajitas.

Houston: Coco's crepes in Midtown. Bellaire for Asian food.
Attempted to visit them last year. They were difficult to schedule and did not care if it happened or not. Crossed them off my list after interviewing.

Houston: Coco's crepes in Midtown. Bellaire for Asian food.
Attempted to visit them last year. They were difficult to schedule and did not care if it happened or not. Crossed them off my list after interviewing.
coco does make some good crepes. Dont forget sharpstown for west african mufu, ethiopian food and every southeast asia/india type of food. Houston is in an incredible food city.

Reactions: 2 users
not wanting visitors and not having externs is a big warning for me. what are you hiding?

not wanting visitors and not having externs is a big warning for me. what are you hiding?
It's not always a bad thing. Almost all podiatry programs were like that for awhile (took few if any clerks, decisions off interviews... much like med schools, grad schools, most MD residency, etc). There is a "leap of faith" element where you just have to trust in the rep of the program, talk to residents, etc. I've met all of the current and past GTEF directors... the programs have good teaching fraternity, good number of cases. The current director of Kingwood graduated from my pod school a year or two ahead of me.

Residency programs (should) prioritize patient care and teaching residents. That is how they get their income and (theoretically) increase productivity of attendings. Some of them have fellowship slot(s) now also... it gets to be a lot of mouths to feed and takes a decent support system for the rotations, hospital scrub-in arrangements, academics, research, job placements, record keeping and alumni support, etc.

It is much easier if the podiatry residency's sponsor hospital also has many other residency programs and large MedEd staff (major teaching hospital) and has local medical MD/DO students every month, but if they don't, taking DPM students is a ton to ask of their MedEd or program coordinator at a community (non-teaching) hospital or med center in addition to all the resident-related work. It will also be a fact that any visiting students will likely only get to go to the main hospital or possibly its satellites, so for a program like the one I did or especially GTEF that has ton of driving to get a lot of surgery, students can only see a fraction of that anyways due to badging/arrangements. Bear in mind that GTEF programs also try to do a ton of CME for attending docs, which is something that only a few residency programs do, and that takes a lot of logistics.

Having externs is just a lot of paperwork for the hospital and the docs... scheduling, sometimes housing, evaluations, liability (esp if students will scrub in), supplies, logistics etc. It also takes time to teach the students, house them, maybe to feed them, etc. There is almost zero benefit for the externship, so if they can get good residents without it, that is just their choice. It takes a decent chunk of time out of their work as clinicians just to do the interview process. My guess is that the GTEF programs would be fine with having students, but the arranging and logistics is simply too much work since their hospitals are (or at least were) smallish ones where podiatry was one of just a few residencies (community/small teaching hospital). It doesn't mean the program is not worthwhile if there is good training and surgery, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How often do residences lie when they tell their candidates "Were ranking you #1" or "were ranking you high"

Members don't see this ad :)
How often do residences lie when they tell their candidates "Were ranking you #1" or "were ranking you high"
28.57% of the time, according to a 2019 study of seven residencies based on student hotel lobby bar rumors and also rolling some dice to create results.

The more of the following things are true the more likely its true

(a) You clerked there and did well and got along with everyone
(b) They pulled you aside at the end of the rotation to tell you how great you were
(c) You kept in intermittent contact through the year with residents and it was light and breezy and not entirely 1 sided
(d) At your interview they told you it was entirely a formality or they didn't even interview you and said they already knew everything they needed to know about you
(e) They told at the interview or immediately after that you were ranked to match. Ideally over a steak dinner back in the day.

Amusingly, and only because this was just a topic above

Its much more likely you were just lied to if:
(a) Its a Houston based program.

Also, ranked high means nothing at all. Rank according to where you want to go. Nothing more. Do not adjust your rank list based on what a program tells you. If you rank your safety #1 they aren't your safety anymore. Some people like the idea of being "wanted". If you match somewhere it means they wrote your name down.

Reactions: 4 users
What Heybrother said.

They have a list of all people they are interviewing. We look at the list with our PD/close attendings and all residents and say "What do you know about xyz?"

We already know who is good and who is bad. We already know who we do not want here even if they are interviewing. A month is more than enough to see who you are. We already know who our top picks are.

I cannot stress this enough as others have said- Rank where YOU want to go. Do NOT change your ranking based on what programs tell you- no matter how desperate you are to get into said program.

Program: The Jewish Hospital- Mercy Health Cincinnati, Ohio

Location: Main hospital is located right next to Kenwood mall. About 10-15 minutes from downtown Cincinnati. Residents also cover surgery centers and other hospitals in the Cincinnati area however all inpatient is down at Jewish hospital in kenwood

Attendings: Dr. Robert Brarens (Director), Dr. Renee Ash, Dr. Chris Cullum, Dr Masowick, Dr (Sadie) Wylie, Tim (Wylie), Dr Jeffrey Fley, Dr Mirkos and several more

Residents: 2 residents per a year. The residents are all extremely intelligent with strong social skills. Very likable group of people that work really well with each other. Residents often hangout outside of the hospital and seem to genuinely enjoy eachothers company. Work hard play hard type of mentality. It is evident that the residents see each other as family

Academics/Rounding: Academics are done weekly. This ranges from journal club at restaurants, mcglamery chapters, labs, student presentations. Very supportive environment at academics, everyone wants each other to succeed. Group rounding organized by the resident on call. Students will report and pre-round (take down dressing, stock room, talk patient). Then the entire team will round

OR Experience: Surgery is a large focus and strength of this program. Almost every case I saw during my month was performed skin-to-skin by the residents. Very little to no double scrubbing. Residents seemed very comfortable in the OR, some of the best surgical skills by residents that I saw. Great mix of pathology, you will see literally everything at this program. 3rd years primarily work with Dr Brarens and Dr Cullum covering their cases. Usually big recons, TAR etc. In addition, all covering hospitals and surgery centers are top class. Very little turn over time consistently at all locations, not a lot of wasted time. OR experience at this program was definitely the best I saw while on externship

Clinic Experience: Resident run clinic Monday mornings and Friday afternoons. Wound care clinic Tuesday which usually the first years go to. Also 3rd years will work at Dr Brarens and Cullums private practice learning billing and coding

Lifestyle: Residents seem to have a nice lifestyle. Residents definitely seem busy and work hard. Typically, residents arrive to the hospital early but leave at reasonable times. Some of the happiest residents I was around. After clinic on fridays, all of residents and some attendings usually go to a happy hour nearby. They always asked students to come and it was a great way to blow off steam

PRO: One of the strongest surgical experiences I saw on externship. You will be trained to handle everything after graduating from Jewish. Very confident residents with a ton of autonomy. Residents have very high moral and generally like each other. Residents have a ton of laughter and fun, big family feel. Everyday I left the hospital, I genuinely felt like I had fun while still learning a lot. Main hospital is brand new and nice. Another big plus is the cafe. Best hospital food I have seen to this day. Residents eat free and students will get vouchers. A ton of options, I would have literally gone eat there on the weekends if I could lol

CON: Very little cons to this program in my opinion. Only thing I really can think of is not a ton of peds which was consistent for most programs I visited

Overall: Jewish is an all-around great program. Residents are operating almost everyday of the week, they are very strong surgeons. Locations and facilities are top notch. Some of the nicest and closest group of residents and attendings I’ve seen. Not many negatives to this program. If you are an aspiring surgeon and want to be in a team environment, Jewish is the place for you. You are guaranteed to enjoy yourself there

Reactions: 3 users
@CutsWithFury is right

Also, about 20 different facilities, no main OR facility. It is just not feasible to have students and give them a legit experience worthy of a 1 month externship.

Does anyone have experience with the program SSM Health DePaul Hospital in MO and Norwegian in IL?

Last edited:

In my year, Larry Harkless told 18 people in my class that he was ranking them #1. Myself included. For 10 spots. 18 people in my class. From my school. Out of 7 schools. Guess who ranked them #1, but didn't get a spot?

• Haha
In my year, Larry Harkless told 18 people in my class that he was ranking them #1. Myself included. For 10 spots. 18 people in my class. From my school. Out of 7 schools. Guess who ranked them #1, but didn't get a spot?
That guy talks so fast that I'm sure you are leaving out about 17 paragraphs he said in that minute along with "ranking you #1."

Any new info on these programs?
Norton
University of Louisville
AdventHealth East Orlando
UF Jacksonville
JFK
Bethesda
Emory
Creighton
Yale-New Haven

Any new info on these programs?
Norton
University of Louisville
AdventHealth East Orlando
UF Jacksonville
JFK
Bethesda
Emory
Creighton
Yale-New Haven
Feel like you’ll get good training at most of these but some of them are “toxic”. A program with a good atmosphere and great surgery is the best of both worlds.

Any input on St Vincent in Worcester, MA? Very interested in that program but our school doesn’t have an affiliation agreement with them

May be the most hated DPM of all DPMs. I see he's been screwing people over for awhile now.

Class of 2013-14 really has it out for this guy. I'll never forget the stress he put upon me for absolutely no reason at all with his Western business and residency shortage.

Any input on St Vincent in Worcester, MA? Very interested in that program but our school doesn’t have an affiliation agreement with them

Very strong wound care with extremely nice residents and attendings. They have decent surgical experience but it's nothing special and are very clinic heavy (wound care clinic). If you're a resident that needs heavy assistance and guidance during the OR, then this is the program for you.

The hospital itself, is by far one of the nicest I've seen, while on externships.

Very strong wound care with extremely nice residents and attendings. They have decent surgical experience but it's nothing special and are very clinic heavy (wound care clinic). If you're a resident that needs heavy assistance and guidance during the OR, then this is the program for you.

The hospital itself, is by far one of the nicest I've seen, while on externships.
Do the residents operate at the UMASS campus at all?

They do some cases at UMASS Memorial (both campuses in the area).
Thanks for your responses. What is the relationship with FA ortho like? Any issues with trauma experiences and ankle etc?

Thanks for your responses. What is the relationship with FA ortho like? Any issues with trauma experiences and ankle etc?
From my previous experiences over there, I did not see any issues.

I do know that they work closely with Dr. Barrette, who is an ortho. They usually get their ankle cases through her but I have not seen other DPMs or orthos that does ankle cases at the program.

Thank you so much for your responses! Do you feel that one would be at a disadvantage surgically by attending this program?

Thank you so much for your responses! Do you feel that one would be at a disadvantage surgically by attending this program?
To be honest, I don't think so. I really do believe its based on the resident and how they want to proceed with their training.

I worked closely with a PGY-3 when I was there and she is amazing. She is more interested in wound care but when it comes to her skills in podiatric surgery, she definitely can be a great surgeon.

To be honest, I don't think so. I really do believe its based on the resident and how they want to proceed with their training.

I worked closely with a PGY-3 when I was there and she is amazing. She is more interested in wound care but when it comes to her skills in podiatric surgery, she definitely can be a great surgeon.

What was the work schedule like in terms of calls, hospital coverage etc?

Their usual work hours range from 6 AM-5/6 PM. Their call schedule is typically a full week per month but obviously, the first years would take more call weeks.

They only do in patient work at Saint Vincent, which is nice. They do not cover any of the UMass Hospitals.

Hello, does anyone have any insight on Roxborough in Philly? I heard mixed things about them.

Hello, does anyone have any insight on Roxborough in Philly? I heard mixed things about them.

This program fiercely competes for the top position as one of the worst programs in the country.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Hi folks. Any reviews on Cape Fear in NC? Thanks :)

Hi folks. Any reviews on Cape Fear in NC? Thanks :)
Is that what Fort Bragg (Womack) program turned into? Or did that one close down and that's a newer one? Most of their attendings seem all different.

NC is a pretty sweet state... I still maintain my license there. Ortho is very strong, though (many F&A fellowships and F&A attendings). Non-competes also hold up strong (why I have not worked there yet... will probably do solo, buyout, or nothing in NC). Cape Fear hospital doesn't list ortho (or podiatry?) on residencies list, but I'm sure Duke or one of the ortho programs covers most of the ER trauma. Their list of attendings is not impressive (director not even ABFAS cert, most on staff there with ho-hum residencies and Foot qual/cert, only 2 of 16 listed on staff are RRA cert out of all hospital podiatry). Seems pretty illogical to have 12 residents (4/yr) with only two RRA attendings, but there is no way of knowing what cases they all bring or don't. It would be amazingly doubtful they get any meaningful RRA from ortho being a new program and in NC. You don't know until you try, though. See for yourself. Every program starts somewhere, and it's not like there are many in NC. If it's new and you're in doubt but like the area, just go clerk and let us know :thumbup:

I hope the NC Cape program does well, but even if they had strong attendings like MedStar or the "Harvard" pod programs, pod tends to get really overshadowed in NC by ortho and MD programs in general, esp at the big teaching places (just like most Boston or Chicago or DC or other large teaching hospitals). It seems the programs in mega teaching setups all get stuck in a circle of mediocre/good residents since the cases are mediocre/good but not great due to the limits and politics of the facilities (a lot of mouths to feed in the large teaching hospitals, ortho takes most/all good trauma cases, pod has limited room to roam).

You could check out Wake program in Winston-Salem if you like NC... they have some really good DPMs in that Cornerstone/Wake group, including a rock star program director who does great cases. They have a lot of the same problems with ortho politics (Wake has 25 ortho residents running around doing cases too) and large hospital with many programs, but you will definitely have better DPM attendings (and less residents/yr) there vs Cape... although cases volume/diversity per resident matters too. Fyi, there is a one-year non-compete for RESIDENTS after graduating (yes... not kidding, I have seen that in Michigan programs and heard of it in TX ones, but it was basically unofficial/illegal and just done politically on the down low by the program director/group via clout or hospital privileges... NC is a place it can actually be legal/enforced). I bet Wake grads can work for Wake if the hospital/group wants to hire them, but they can't go into PP or competing group/system like Fortyth or others nearby in the Triad. That is rough. You would want to ask Cape about anything like that also if you want to potentially end up in the area. Only in the south can you straight up put non-compete for a resident out there in bold print, lol. :D

Last edited:
Is that what Fort Bragg (Womack) program turned into? Or did that one close down and that's a newer one? Most of their attendings seem all different.

NC is a pretty sweet state... I still maintain my license there. Ortho is very strong, though (many F&A fellowships and F&A attendings). Non-competes also hold up strong (why I have not worked there yet... will probably do solo, buyout, or nothing in NC). Cape Fear hospital doesn't list ortho (or podiatry?) on residencies list, but I'm sure Duke or one of the ortho programs covers most of the ER trauma. Their list of attendings is not impressive (director not even ABFAS cert, most on staff there with ho-hum residencies and Foot qual/cert, only 2 of 16 listed on staff are RRA cert out of all hospital podiatry). Seems pretty illogical to have 12 residents (4/yr) with only two RRA attendings, but there is no way of knowing what cases they all bring or don't. It would be amazingly doubtful they get any meaningful RRA from ortho being a new program and in NC. You don't know until you try, though. See for yourself. Every program starts somewhere, and it's not like there are many in NC. If it's new and you're in doubt but like the area, just go clerk and let us know :thumbup:

I hope the NC Cape program does well, but even if they had strong attendings like MedStar or the "Harvard" pod programs, pod tends to get really overshadowed in NC by ortho and MD programs in general, esp at the big teaching places (just like most Boston or Chicago or DC or other large teaching hospitals). It seems the programs in mega teaching setups all get stuck in a circle of mediocre/good residents since the cases are mediocre/good but not great due to the limits and politics of the facilities (a lot of mouths to feed in the large teaching hospitals, ortho takes most/all good trauma cases, pod has limited room to roam).

You could check out Wake program in Winston-Salem if you like NC... they have some really good DPMs in that Cornerstone/Wake group, including a rock star program director who does great cases. They have a lot of the same problems with ortho politics (Wake has 25 ortho residents running around doing cases too) and large hospital with many programs, but you will definitely have better DPM attendings (and less residents/yr) there vs Cape... although cases volume/diversity per resident matters too. Fyi, there is a one-year non-compete for RESIDENTS after graduating (yes... not kidding, I have seen that in Michigan programs and heard of it in TX ones, but it was basically unofficial/illegal and just done politically on the down low by the program director/group via clout or hospital privileges... NC is a place it can actually be legal/enforced). I bet Wake grads can work for Wake if the hospital/group wants to hire them, but they can't go into PP or competing group/system like Fortyth or others nearby in the Triad. That is rough. You would want to ask Cape about anything like that also if you want to potentially end up in the area. Only in the south can you straight up put non-compete for a resident out there in bold print, lol. :D
Thanks, Doc!

So it's funny you brought up ortho at Cape cause the pod PD stated in a presentation that they're starting an ortho residency next year...I think that will change things in term of cases.

Anyone have thoughts on St Mary’s in Passaic, NJ? Have heard great things about Dr Subik (the director)

Anyone have any experience with UH Rutgers?

Anyone do a clerkship at Jefferson northeast (aria)? Wondering if they are surgery heavy. You can PM me too.

Does anyone have any insight on MercyOne in Waterloo, IA? I would really appreciate some feedback!

Does anyone have any insight on MercyOne in Waterloo, IA? I would really appreciate some feedback!
I haven't rotated there but heard it was a surgically strong program and decent academically.

It is highly competitive because a lot of DMU students want to stay in Iowa and they tend to match DMU students more heavily.

I was led to believe it has (a) almost no clinic / bare minimum clinic (b) tons of surgery (c) in general skin to skin (d) decent life style. I met people who told me their top choices were literally between Waterloo and things like West Penn. That said, it may have been suggested to me that when they internally reviewed some of their TAR cases they may have been left with the impression that some (many?) of the cases shouldn't have happened.

Anyone do a clerkship at Jefferson northeast (aria)? Wondering if they are surgery heavy. You can PM me too.
Tons of surgery, heavy on trauma. Doubt there’s a better program in the Philly area for it if that’s your thing. You’ll be working hard. Lots of young busy docs.