PCOM (Philadelphia) Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so what is this countdown until april 22 regarding?

also, someone a couple of pages back said that 83% of class is filled, I haven't received interview yet even. Is it true they interview until end of april?

Also, is it possible for my interview invite to have gone into the spam folder of my gmail? has that happened to anyone ?? ahhhhhhhh, I'm stressing this happened to me since I haven't heard one thing from pcom and my interview from atsu/soma ended up in spam folder somehow

April 22nd is the day we late interviewers are anticipating hearing back from PCOM. They pretty much said that they were pretty much holding off on decisions until all of the late interview groups finish and they have some idea as to how many seats are left after the big $$ deposit deadline.

In regards to an interview, PCOM doesn't reject pre-interview until the end of the cycle...they then send out a bulk mailing with a polite thanks but no thanks letter. So most likely if you haven't heard back from them by now...don't count on landing an interview...I had almost 2 months notice for my interview being invited in January for a March date. My application was complete in late August. So...I would assume the last few interview dates are filled if they were consistent with this.

Don't be too discouraged...PCOM's admission's is notoriously strange. I wasn't offered an interview last year but got one this year. They seem to start out with the PA people and expand outward...but don't be stressing out, there are plenty of people in your shoes.

Members don't see this ad.

Did someone say countdown?

23 DAYS till 4/22! Just over 3 weeks! Absolutely hating this. :thumbdown:

Just thought of something. Would someone who has been accepted mind commenting on what PCOM wants as far as pre-matriculation physicals? I've got one scheduled for another school, but I want to cover my bases in case I get accepted at PCOM. What specific vaccinations/titers/tests do they require?

Just thought of something. Would someone who has been accepted mind commenting on what PCOM wants as far as pre-matriculation physicals? I've got one scheduled for another school, but I want to cover my bases in case I get accepted at PCOM. What specific vaccinations/titers/tests do they require?

I wish i could be as excited and enthusiastic as you haha!! when did you interview? maybe you were in my group!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish i could be as excited and enthusiastic as you haha!! when did you interview? maybe you were in my group!

Ah its just nervous energy. I really loved this school and I very much hope I get in. Basically, I'm just like everyone else who is waiting haha. I interviewed on Feb 24th.

You have plenty of time, they aren't due until school starts. Just call the admissions office and ask where you can find the requirements. All the normal vaccines...can't remember them all (includes the new TD-Pertussis vaccine, and varicella if you've never had chickenpox). Titers on all of them (need to be quantitative numbers, not qualitative). TB test required. Hep B vaccine can be waived if you sign a paper. There is an actual packet/form that your doctor will need to fill out, so if you have some time before the one for the other school's is due, maybe push back the appointment.

You have plenty of time, they aren't due until school starts. Just call the admissions office and ask where you can find the requirements. All the normal vaccines...can't remember them all (includes the new TD-Pertussis vaccine, and varicella if you've never had chickenpox). Titers on all of them (need to be quantitative numbers, not qualitative). TB test required. Hep B vaccine can be waived if you sign a paper. There is an actual packet/form that your doctor will need to fill out, so if you have some time before the one for the other school's is due, maybe push back the appointment.

Yeah that's probably some good advice. As you describe it I can already tell that PCOM's requirements seem to be fairly different from the other school I was preparing for. Thanks Lewist.

One more day closer to April 22nd! Come on P - C - O - M....show us some love already! (admissions: please take note how I stressed the individual letters and didn't say P-Com...that means I really am serious about going here and am willing to break my old ways!)

And when it comes to medical stuff

Pretty much everyone requires:
2 MMR's - or titers - but plan on having both
1 TDAP
3 Hep B's - or titers - but plan on having both
2 Varicella vaccines - or proof of illness - or titers - but plan on having titers and one of the first two things
At least one TST (TB test) but possibly 2...some schools might require a second step, but they might do that once you get to campus

Then you probably need a CBC, possible Urinalysis, and depending on the school Urine Toxicology...and a physical exam.

So if you want to hold off because of forms and saving yourself legwork and stress faxing and emailing then thats probably a good idea. If not, just make sure you have all of this stuff.

Last edited:
Since I have PCOM's health questionnaire in front of me:

Required vaccines:

MMR - 2 doses (although the form says you only need to document 1 dose of the mumps vaccine)

Polio - 4 doses

TDaP - within the last 2 years

TB skin test - the form PCOM's student health office sent me says this test can be no more than 2 months old while the form on Nucleus says the tests must have been given in the last 6-12 months.

Hepatitis B series (can be waived, but can possibly limit where you can do rotations)

Titers (all must be quantitative)

Mumps IgG, Measels/Rubeola IgG, Rubella IgG, Varicella IgG and Hepatitis B

You also have to send copies of your immunization records. I feel bad for the student health office because my vaccination record is a mess :)

Since I have PCOM's health questionnaire in front of me:

Required vaccines:

MMR - 2 doses (although the form says you only need to document 1 dose of the mumps vaccine)

Polio - 4 doses

TDaP - within the last 2 years

TB skin test - the form PCOM's student health office sent me says this test can be no more than 2 months old while the form on Nucleus says the tests must have been given in the last 6-12 months.

Hepatitis B series (can be waived, but can possibly limit where you can do rotations)

Titers (all must be quantitative)

Mumps IgG, Measels/Rubeola IgG, Rubella IgG, Varicella IgG and Hepatitis B

You also have to send copies of your immunization records. I feel bad for the student health office because my vaccination record is a mess :)

You can always make a nice excel table with your vaccines on it and send that along with the original...I work at a large hospital and when people do things like that...oh how we appreciate it!

You can always make a nice excel table with your vaccines on it and send that along with the original...I work at a large hospital and when people do things like that...oh how we appreciate it!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks guys!

Problem is, the other school wants their stuff in by the 5/15. Ahhh I love this, the application season angst just keeps dragging on and on and on and on....

Will, I LOL'ed at your P.C.O.M. comment haha. I feel the same way!! It sounds better to me as PCOM, but I too will humbly change my ways if that's what it takes. :D

Hi!
I was wondering if anyone knew what happens at the admitted students brunch on Sunday? Just mingling with other students, talks about PCOM, information about stuff to do before classes start? Thanks!

Has anyone from the late interview groups thought about/actually sent in intent/interest/update letters? I am seriously thinking of sending one but I'm afraid it could be overkill before the decision...but the silence is killing me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
I was wondering if anyone knew what happens at the admitted students brunch on Sunday? Just mingling with other students, talks about PCOM, information about stuff to do before classes start? Thanks!

Not a whole lot. You will find a seat at a table with about 6-7 other new students, and usually one upperclassman. You get brunch (buffet style). There will be a few speakers. You will talk with the people at your table. There really wasn't any mingling last year unfortunately. I left having met only the people at my table. Hopefully this year they will make it more interactive. It was still nice though!

Has anyone from the late interview groups thought about/actually sent in intent/interest/update letters? I am seriously thinking of sending one but I'm afraid it could be overkill before the decision...but the silence is killing me.

Hey, I did send a letter intent but i sent it out the day after they sent the letter that they will be holding off on decision. it took them ten days to get it because she told me the date they received it...and we are suppose to hear by april 15-april 22nd, so it's really up to you. I don't think it would seem desperate at all.

Not a whole lot. You will find a seat at a table with about 6-7 other new students, and usually one upperclassman. You get brunch (buffet style). There will be a few speakers. You will talk with the people at your table. There really wasn't any mingling last year unfortunately. I left having met only the people at my table. Hopefully this year they will make it more interactive. It was still nice though!

I'm wondering what the dress code was for this luncheon event? Is business casual "dressed up" enough or is a suit necessary? Thanks.

For those who are in the "waitlist" pool, are you expecting to hear a complete yes/no by April 22nd? I've heard stories of acceptance only days prior to orientation...this doesn't seem to correspond to the current April 22nd deadline that we are seeing here.

I expect we will get the typical post-interview fare: yes, no, or waitlist.

Man this is weird. I have not heard a peep from PCOM besides letting me know that my file was complete on (8/18), which is strange since all of the other schools I applied to were quick to get in contact with me.

Granted I applied here in August and all of the others in June, but still :rolleyes:

Must have somethin to do with the weak letter of rec from the Dean of My College that was required.

Man this is weird. I have not heard a peep from PCOM besides letting me know that my file was complete on (8/18), which is strange since all of the other schools I applied to were quick to get in contact with me.

Granted I applied here in August and all of the others in June, but still :rolleyes:

Must have somethin to do with the weak letter of rec from the Dean of My College that was required.

PCOM doesn't reject anyone until the end of the cycle...so if you haven't heard back yet they probably already reviewed your file and decided to pass on you. Don't worry about it because there are a lot of people in your shoes. I wouldn't bank on it being a letter of rec. PCOM seems to interview Pennsylvania people first and expand out from there. I applied last year with almost the same app...didn't hear back until the June rejection letter. This year I got an interview in March and was complete back in August.

Applying to med schools a crap shoot...PCOM is notorious for "qualified" applicants not getting interviews, but so is every other med school. Also PCOM get's the most apps out of all the DO schools (I think)...so let's say they look at your app early and decide to put your app to the side to re-review later but at the same time they're looking at all the new apps coming in...maybe they'll get around to re-reviewing you, maybe not. I think this year I was lucky enough to get re-reviewed judging by how long it took to get an interview...it looks like you weren't as lucky...but there's always next year.

For those who are in the "waitlist" pool, are you expecting to hear a complete yes/no by April 22nd? I've heard stories of acceptance only days prior to orientation...this doesn't seem to correspond to the current April 22nd deadline that we are seeing here.

The April 22nd deadline is for decisions from Feb, March, and April interviews. I wouldn't expect any wait-list movement until the summer. I think PCOM tends to only accept a few from the waitlist, but every years different.

Yes, true, all true :) I was already accepted to one of my top choices back in Sept and am already set up with on-campus housing etc, so my application cycle is pretty much at a close.

My interest at this point stems mainly from Pride. No one likes outliers :D

I hope you get in, seems like you really interested in this one :)

PCOM doesn't reject anyone until the end of the cycle...so if you haven't heard back yet they probably already reviewed your file and decided to pass on you. Don't worry about it because there are a lot of people in your shoes. I wouldn't bank on it being a letter of rec. PCOM seems to interview Pennsylvania people first and expand out from there. I applied last year with almost the same app...didn't hear back until the June rejection letter. This year I got an interview in March and was complete back in August.

Applying to med schools a crap shoot...PCOM is notorious for "qualified" applicants not getting interviews, but so is every other med school. Also PCOM get's the most apps out of all the DO schools (I think)...so let's say they look at your app early and decide to put your app to the side to re-review later but at the same time they're looking at all the new apps coming in...maybe they'll get around to re-reviewing you, maybe not. I think this year I was lucky enough to get re-reviewed judging by how long it took to get an interview...it looks like you weren't as lucky...but there's always next year.

:thumbup: Just want to extend a little more

PCOM has been receiving >6000 applications per cycle. They interview about 600-800 applicants each cycle (Compare to schools like LECOM that interview as much as 1400-1500 applicants). So they select close to 1 out of every 10 applicants for interview. And PCOM only held interviews 3 days a week with roughly 5-6 people per session before January and 8-10 people per session after, which is quite slow. Also they don't start interviews until late september to early october, which is relatively late compare to other DO school. I am sure most applicants are well-qualified but PCOM has to be selective due to such large pool of applicants.

:thumbup: Just want to extend a little more

PCOM has been receiving >6000 applications per cycle. They interview about 600-800 applicants each cycle (Compare to schools like LECOM that interview as much as 1400-1500 applicants). So they select close to 1 out of every 10 applicants for interview. And PCOM only held interviews 3 days a week with roughly 5-6 people per session before January and 8-10 people per session after, which is quite slow. Also they don't start interviews until late september to early october, which is relatively late compare to other DO school. I am sure most applicants are well-qualified but PCOM has to be selective due to such large pool of applicants.

You seem to have a pretty good handle on those numbers. Are you working at admissions this year? I'd be interested in hearing what PCOM's acceptance rate is post-interview. If they are so selective for interviews you'd think (hope, really), that things get easier from there.

I just can't stop speculating about this stuff. I've (we've) been waiting far longer for a post-interview decision than is probably healthy, heh....

You seem to have a pretty good handle on those numbers. Are you working at admissions this year? I'd be interested in hearing what PCOM's acceptance rate is post-interview. If they are so selective for interviews you'd think (hope, really), that things get easier from there.

I just can't stop speculating about this stuff. I've (we've) been waiting far longer for a post-interview decision than is probably healthy, heh....

I don't work for the admissions but the admission office always released last year's data to students and people who attend the open house. The data is pretty much similar every year with >6000 applicants, 600-800 applicants for interview, and 400 accepted post interview. And PCOM pretty much delayed all decisions to mid april for late feb to april interviewees. That's just the way of how they handle things every year.

I don't work for the admissions but the admission office always released last year's data to students and people who attend the open house. The data is pretty much similar every year with >6000 applicants, 600-800 applicants for interview, and 400 accepted post interview. And PCOM pretty much delayed all decisions to mid april for late feb to april interviewees. That's just the way of how they handle things every year.

Thanks for the stats bigyihoroi!

This is all very curious though :confused:...so does PCOM close all of its acceptances late April? As I stated above, the stories I have heard about the super late/pre-orientation admissions are particularly interesting if that is the case... I know that interviews are completed by now, but how does PCOM establish a wait list over the summer...I highly doubt they would pass on an opportunity to fill the seats of those students who will enroll elsewhere past the Apr 22nd deadline.

...but how does PCOM establish a wait list over the summer...I highly doubt they would pass on an opportunity to fill the seats of those students who will enroll elsewhere past the Apr 22nd deadline.

I imagine the spots open for filling off of the wait list will come from two main sources:

1. People who paid deposits but end up changing their mind over the next few months.
2. Accepted people from this last group who decide to go someplace else.

That probably explains why PCOM typically takes so few off of their wait lists: both of those groups are likely to be small. As frustrating as this two-month wait has been, I have to admit that PCOM's system for the end of the cycle seems to be fairly well thought out.

Thanks for the stats bigyihoroi!

This is all very curious though :confused:...so does PCOM close all of its acceptances late April? As I stated above, the stories I have heard about the super late/pre-orientation admissions are particularly interesting if that is the case... I know that interviews are completed by now, but how does PCOM establish a wait list over the summer...I highly doubt they would pass on an opportunity to fill the seats of those students who will enroll elsewhere past the Apr 22nd deadline.

By the time of April or whenever the last batch of interviewees get their letters, the class should be 100% full. I am not sure what they do after april or how the waitlist works (that's something that probably only the admission office knows). However, the stories that you heard about super late or pre-orientation admission are definitely true. I met someone during orientation who just got accepted on the 2nd or 3rd day of orientation. I also know someone who got a seat in May or June after having the improved MCAT score sent in to the admission office. So nobody really knows how this post-april acceptance process and waitlist work at PCOM (you may call the admission office and maybe they will tell you where you stand on the list). However, if you were already accepted to another med school, go for it cuz you will be receiving an awesome education in any DO school. Good Luck :thumbup:

By the time of April or whenever the last batch of interviewees get their letters, the class should be 100% full. I am not sure what they do after april or how the waitlist works (that's something that probably only the admission office knows). However, the stories that you heard about super late or pre-orientation admission are definitely true. I met someone during orientation who just got accepted on the 2nd or 3rd day of orientation. I also know someone who got a seat in May or June after having the improved MCAT score sent in to the admission office. So nobody really knows how this post-april acceptance process and waitlist work at PCOM (you may call the admission office and maybe they will tell you where you stand on the list). However, if you were already accepted to another med school, go for it cuz you will be receiving an awesome education in any DO school. Good Luck :thumbup:

And I don't know that where you stand on the list will make a difference. They don't rank their wait list. They try to match the student who gives up the seat with another student off the wait list that is very similar. And I had a friend that was admitted the day classes started.

13 DAYS till 4/22! Just under 2 weeks! The 15th is in 6 days, and I think we can start sweating our mailboxes by the following Monday, in 9 days. Getting close!!

I was completed in mid October but still haven't heard anything back. Is there anything I can do (letter of intent?) to maybe get an interview? (Most likely rejected by now, but I am trying to do all I can until I actually get the letter of rejection!). Anyone waiting that long?

I was completed in mid October but still haven't heard anything back. Is there anything I can do (letter of intent?) to maybe get an interview? (Most likely rejected by now, but I am trying to do all I can until I actually get the letter of rejection!). Anyone waiting that long?

april 7th was their last set of interviews. i joined the forum just to let you know that- if i were u, i would want to know. i would def contact pcom and find out for sure, u never know. good luck!

PCOM sends out their acceptance letters via regular mail, correct? Just making sure I don't have to freak out everytime my blackberry tells me I have an email next week! April 22nd so soon!! :luck::scared:

PCOM sends out their acceptance letters via regular mail, correct? Just making sure I don't have to freak out everytime my blackberry tells me I have an email next week! April 22nd so soon!! :luck::scared:

:xf:Yep-I would expect it to arrive via snail mail.
Best of luck!:luck:

Here's to crossing our fingers for the April 22nd hold crowd, wishing best of luck to all of us. The day of reckoning has come """"All accepted candidates are required to remit a $2000 non-refundable deposit by April 15th"""". Hoping all the people who were holding PCOM as a backup withdraw today and offer spots to all of us !!!:love:

Happy April 15th everyone!! One week to go. Best of luck!!

just got my acceptance letter today! interviewed April 7th, got it 8 days later.

its going to be a great weekend! good luck to everybody!

just got my acceptance letter today! interviewed April 7th, got it 8 days later.

Congratulations, but I hate you haha. I've (along with a few others here) been waiting for more like 8 WEEKS following our interview. What gives, eh?

got wait listed letter from PCOM. does anyone know how many people they actually take from the wait list

CONGRATS. lucky you , i got wait listed today.keeping my fingers cross, have till May 15th to pay deposit at other school, hmmmm

Congratulations, but I hate you haha. I've (along with a few others here) been waiting for more like 8 WEEKS following our interview. What gives, eh?

man i really hope you get accepted. i have been suffering with you through your posts and i have such high hopes for you!!

i really hope you get it!

CONGRATS. lucky you , i got wait listed today.keeping my fingers cross, have till May 15th to pay deposit at other school, hmmmm

Were you a recent interviewee or one that was on hold/waiting from Feb/March?

I guess it's time to start fearing the mailbox :scared:

well got complete in October, got an interview invite in January for march 7th, got a hold letter on the 9th and finally got a wait list letter today. so...but i am still hoping

well got complete in October, got an interview invite in January for march 7th, got a hold letter on the 9th and finally got a wait list letter today. so...but i am still hoping

Interesting. I interviewed before you and still haven't heard. Sorry if this is too invasive, but where do you live? Maybe it is taking an extra day for my letter to travel in the mail... (oh, the speculation continues!!)

man i really hope you get accepted. i have been suffering with you through your posts and i have such high hopes for you!!

i really hope you get it!

haha thank you! Yeah PCOM has been my top choice for a long time. I was really happy about getting an interview, but this waiting process has been the absolute worst. I appreciate the well wishes!!

It just stinks that we have to wait so long and people are hearing so quickly :( it takes a toll on us :( i didn't even get anything in the mail today.

Interesting. I interviewed before you and still haven't heard. Sorry if this is too invasive, but where do you live? Maybe it is taking an extra day for my letter to travel in the mail... (oh, the speculation continues!!)

haha thank you! Yeah PCOM has been my top choice for a long time. I was really happy about getting an interview, but this waiting process has been the absolute worst. I appreciate the well wishes!!

i have a Philadelphia mailing address, right across the street from pcom. so i probably got mine early.