PCOM (Philadelphia) Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's basically correspondence sent to a school after you submit your primary application in hopes of being granted an interview. Often times, it's sent by regular mail so that the admissions staff has to pull your app to add the letter to the file.

There's also what's called a "Letter of Intent," which is similar to a Letter of Interest, but it informs the school that if accepted you will matriculate there. They're often sent post-waitlist.

It's difficult to gauge whether Letters of Interest actually help or not. It's conceivable that students who sent letters and were then offered interviews would have received them even if they didn't send a letter. Bottom line, I wouldn't send a Letter of Interest unless you have updates (new research project, volunteering, new transcript), or it just seems like begging. It's best to show a school you're still interested by telling them what you've been doing to make yourself a better applicant.

I think that you can write a letter of interest professionally without sounding like you are begging. I had had my application in since July the year I applied, and hadn't heard anything by October. I sent a letter of interest to PCOM first stating that when I had answered "WHY PCOM?" in the application, I had left out why I would be a good fit for PCOM, instead of the other way around. I did talk briefly about what I had been involved in since applying, and also further expressed my love for Philadelphia, the community, and my desire to practice in the area (which I had not discussed in much detail in my application either and i was OOS). I sent the letter Fed Ex and got a confirmation of when the office had received it. I received an interview invite the next day, literally. It could definitely be a coincidence, but given the time frame, I don't think so.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on the 24th, finally broke down and called PCOM today. The lady that answered the phone was nice but told me she didn't have any news at the moment. She said they hadn't created letters for my group yet, although she thought that the committee did meet recently. She said I could expect to hear sometime next week.

Deposit at another school is due Monday lol. Figures...

I hate this anxious waiting... Best of luck!

I hate this anxious waiting... Best of luck!

Ah YEAH I'm with ya buddy. If we don't hear next week it's your turn to call and report back haha ;).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah YEAH I'm with ya buddy. If we don't hear next week it's your turn to call and report back haha ;).

I was still tempted to call today, but really don't want to be a bother, and figured it was too soon for any updates anyway..

I think that you can write a letter of interest professionally without sounding like you are begging. I had had my application in since July the year I applied, and hadn't heard anything by October. I sent a letter of interest to PCOM first stating that when I had answered "WHY PCOM?" in the application, I had left out why I would be a good fit for PCOM, instead of the other way around. I did talk briefly about what I had been involved in since applying, and also further expressed my love for Philadelphia, the community, and my desire to practice in the area (which I had not discussed in much detail in my application either and i was OOS). I sent the letter Fed Ex and got a confirmation of when the office had received it. I received an interview invite the next day, literally. It could definitely be a coincidence, but given the time frame, I don't think so.

Well, in your case, it was an update. You added more to your application by supplementing your response to "Why PCOM?" and talked about your recent activities. That's definitely a lot different than sending a letter that says, "I'm still interested in attending School X. Thank you for your consideration." I mean, of course they assume you're still interested if you haven't withdrawn your app.

Well, in your case, it was an update. You added more to your application by supplementing your response to "Why PCOM?" and talked about your recent activities. That's definitely a lot different than sending a letter that says, "I'm still interested in attending School X. Thank you for your consideration." I mean, of course they assume you're still interested if you haven't withdrawn your app.

Well...it was more like "I am continuing to blah blah and have begun to..." It was about a sentence long. I'm sure it was more my desire to work in Philadelphia than anything. They asked me about it during my interview.

got a letter today....they haven't made a decision yet...so weird interviewed on feb 28th

That is weird, what did the letter say?

I got the same letter, I was super pissed off....I feel like I am being just led along and along and along and along.....

Yep I got one too. WTF is this? Is it a wait list or something different?

Dear Mr. Fiznat,

Following your recent interview, the Faculty Committee on Admissions has decided to delay a decision on your application for admission to our class entering in August 2011.

We will continue to interview prospective candidates through the end of March. Once the interview process has been completed, we will be able to finalize the selection of the class of 2015. Just as soon as a definite decision is reached we will be in touch with you, but no later than April 22nd.

Your interest is appreciated blah blah blah....

When I interviewed here this week, they sounded like they wouldn't be making a lot of decisions until the interviews are all over at the end of the month. They said to not really expect to hear back until mid april...so much for rolling admissions.... But, I guess they want to give the few seats that remain left to those who deserve them the most and also see how many people drop after the deposit deadline on 4/15. I would think there are a lot of people who might be holding seats as a backup or who might not be sure since pcom's initial deposit is only $250 (very rare in the DO world)...so there will probably be some movement once the big bucks are due...but thats only a hypothesis.

they have spring break coming up, so maybe the admissions staff isn't meeting until after.

Members don't see this ad :)
got the same letter... so mad this is my first choice!

do you think this will end up benefitting us (more open spots if people withdraw/ do not make the deposit)?

or hurting us (now a larger pool to choose from with applicants from all of March and half of February)?

hmmm, Im not sure.....but now Im even more on edge.....oh the waiting

do you think this will end up benefitting us (more open spots if people withdraw/ do not make the deposit)?

or hurting us (now a larger pool to choose from with applicants from all of March and half of February)?

I donno man, could go either way I suppose. I'm so sick of this waiting game and trying to speculate what schools are thinking. Another month (or more!) is like an eternity. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Don't get your hopes too high that you set yourself up for devastation. Just be realistic, ya know?

Last year, during orientation, a student joined the class of 2014 from LECOM-Erie. The waitlist had a hard time getting momentum last year despite the April 15 deadline. I think the school discussion thread for last year depicts this.

Best of luck to you guys and I hope all works out. :luck:

How did everyone hear about their acceptances? My mailbox is malfunctioning so I'm hoping they send an email too...?? Hopefully the mailbox will get fixed, but I'm paranoid I'm going to miss this letter. Has anyone from around March 3rd heard anything?
Thanks!!!

has anyone from the 2/28 interview group gotten an acceptance/rejection or did everyone get the same letter as me (decision has not be made)?!

Is there anyone that submitted their supplementary materials on or near the deadline that has heard a response? Mine were in on 2/28.

Ahhhh. Only 38 days until April 22. :sleep::scared::sleep::mad:

I was wondering if anyone knows about Histology place-out exam? What does it get you out of? Good idea? What is the test like? When is the test? Thanks!!

I was wondering if anyone knows about Histology place-out exam? What does it get you out of? Good idea? What is the test like? When is the test? Thanks!!

The Histology place-out exam gets you out of the "lab" portion of the class, which includes all quizzes, the midterm exam, and the final. You will still have to take the "written" portion of histology because the information is combined with the rest of SPOM during each of the multiple choice exams. I didn't have the opportunity to take the place-out exam, but I would recommend taking it because you'll have more time to focus on the SPOM material during the first semester (sometimes the SPOM exams and histology practical exams are within a few days of each other). I think the place-out exam exam is similar to Histo exams. You'll be shown power point slides with different images on them, and have a minute or two to write down your answer. Sometime after you take the exam, you'll have the opportunity to look at your place-out grade and decide whether or not you're happy with it. If you are, then that's you're grade for the lab portion. If not, then you have a blank slate, but you can't go back to that grade if you do worse during the semester.

has anyone received any additional information from pcom?
acceptance
rejection
waitlist
holding until april for a decision

just wondering if we are all generally getting the same news or if they are actually making some decisions

has anyone received any additional information...

I haven't. I've also talked with a few other people off SDN also who are in the same boat.

Freaking PCOM. They're throwing a wrench in all my carefully worked out plans with this crazy two month wait... I wouldn't put up with it if I didn't REALLY want to go there haha.

I called yesterday and they said they will be interviewing through the end of April even though in the CIB and PCOM's website it says until the end of March

i got the same letter saying they are holding out on a decision until mid april. i would really would love to go here but i'm pretty upset/very stressed about waiting almost 7 weeks after my interview for a decision.

has anyone actually been accepted in march or are we all in the same boat?
:confused:

i'll be withdrawing my acceptance here. pcom is an awesome school and i really loved it. good luck to everyone on the waitlist! glad that one of you will get my spot!

Accepted as of 3/16....interviewed 2/3. Very long wait.....good luck everyone!

Accepted as of 3/16....interviewed 2/3. Very long wait.....good luck everyone!

Heyyy Congrats!!!!! did you do anything while you waited like send them a letter of intent?! do you mind sharing your stats? I am so sick of this waiting game and i have another month to go along with everyone else who got the "letter".

Thanks! I'm actually currently in the PCOM biomed program but I didn't send a letter of intent since I already talked about it during the interview + being internal student.

As for my stats:

Undergrad Cum. GPA- 3.49
Undergrad Science GPA- 3.23
PCOM Biomed GPA- 3.50
MCAT- 28Q

I got recommendation letters from professors here at PCOM and since they teach both Biomeds and the D.O. program I'm sure that was a big help for me. Hope this helps everyone. Best wishes to you all!

Is there anyone that submitted their supplementary materials on or near the deadline that has heard a response? Mine were in on 2/28.

Mine was received on March 1st, but I haven't heard anything either. I hope the class isn't full!

I still haven't either. Given that interviews run until the end of April, you would think that even if you were interviewing on the last day you would still get an invite by say the end of March? Unless near the end of the cycle there is less notice before you interview. It doesn't seem like anyone on here mentioned having an April interview though so that could possibly be a good sign.

Anyone from March interviews hear anything yet? I want PCOM so bad...ever since my interview I have fell in love with everything about this school...I kind of want to send a letter of interest now but it's probably overkill to send one before they make a decision...I just want to go here so bad!!!

Does anyone know how much movement there was in previous years on the waitlist?

Hmmmm. Seems about time for an update.

29 DAYS till 4/22! :annoyed:

hey, idk if you are from the 2/28 interview group but remember they said we will hear by march 25th so MAYBE.... if some type of miracle happens we all may just hear today. i am just waiting for the mail man to come!

interviewed on March 24th, and loved it!!! now waiting for April 22nd to arrive

I interviewed February 14th, got my letter two weeks later saying my decision had been delayed too. :/ Sigh. I was thinking about re-taking my MCAT in May/June, but some people have been saying that since I got an interview, my MCAT is not the problem. Thoughts?
:(

I interviewed February 14th, got my letter two weeks later saying my decision had been delayed too. :/ Sigh. I was thinking about re-taking my MCAT in May/June, but some people have been saying that since I got an interview, my MCAT is not the problem. Thoughts?
:(

Well, if you're planning on re-applying next cycle, then consider re-taking if you feel the score is holding you back. I don't think they would even consider the new score for the current cycle. Some schools will accept January MCATs, but a May/June MCAT would just be too late. The class will be filled by then.

Well, if you're planning on re-applying next cycle, then consider re-taking if you feel the score is holding you back. I don't think they would even consider the new score for the current cycle. Some schools will accept January MCATs, but a May/June MCAT would just be too late. The class will be filled by then.

I guess I should re-phrase. I am not sure if I am going to re-apply, as I have not gotten rejected yet. I was going to re-take my MCAT, but some people say that since I got an interview this cycle, my MCAT is not likely what is holding me back, and it would be a waste of my time to re-take ...and I should consider doing something else, like a post-bacc, instead. Thank you for your response, however. :)

I guess I should re-phrase. I am not sure if I am going to re-apply, as I have not gotten rejected yet. I was going to re-take my MCAT, but some people say that since I got an interview this cycle, my MCAT is not likely what is holding me back, and it would be a waste of my time to re-take ...and I should consider doing something else, like a post-bacc, instead. Thank you for your response, however. :)

Still really not sure what you mean about taking a summer MCAT if you're not planning on re-applying. Regardless, the best thing to do is to show continued interest by keeping in touch with the admissions office. Good luck! :)

so what is this countdown until april 22 regarding?

also, someone a couple of pages back said that 83% of class is filled, I haven't received interview yet even. Is it true they interview until end of april?

Also, is it possible for my interview invite to have gone into the spam folder of my gmail? has that happened to anyone ?? ahhhhhhhh, I'm stressing this happened to me since I haven't heard one thing from pcom and my interview from atsu/soma ended up in spam folder somehow