PCOM (Philadelphia) Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes. I was going crazy, considering my original interview was in January. Then, the giant snowstorm came and closed the city down. I was rescheduled much later in the interview cycle. Was wait-listed around three weeks ago. I'm a Philadelphia resident, so there may just be letters for some of you out there tomorrow. I wish everyone a lot of luck! If anyone has any questions about the city, message me. I've lived in the city for a decade now.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats my man! At least we know the wait-list has begun to move! Lets keep our fingers crossed for more movement so that the rest of us may join you in happiness.:xf:

Do a lot of third and fourth year students have rotations that are relatively close to campus ...or farther away? Is there any way to stay in philly throughout the rotations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Gaul-anyone else seeing any acceptances off the waitlist? Interesting development, I am guessing that we will slowly start to see even more after the May 15th deadline for many MD programs.
Everyone keep us updated with any news!

I JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO PCOM CLASS OF 2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got an email saying CONGRATULATIONS and that my letter was mail earlier this week. This is my second year applying and my first acceptance. I am in tears and just so EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO PCOM CLASS OF 2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got an email saying CONGRATULATIONS and that my letter was mail earlier this week. This is my second year applying and my first acceptance. I am in tears and just so EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Congrats Docbucknut88! Were you waitlisted?!

Congrats Docbucknut88. That's awesome news... See you in august!

Anyone else get any notices over the weekend or today?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

Congrats to all those who have been accepted to PCOM, and good luck to those still waiting to hear! I am a Drexel Med alumna and am renting out my condo. I have lived there for 7 years throughout med school and residency, and honestly feel that it is the ideal place to live during med school. It is super convenient to PCOM, downtown Philly, and Manayunk (where there are fabulous restaurants, shopping, and bars). My condo is also the perfect place for quiet studying. Please see the link below for more info and PM me with any questions!

Good luck!

http://pattyproperties.vflyer.com/home/flyer/home/33866001

Do you mind telling us your stats? (MCAT/GPA)

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out, I'll be apply to PCOM this summer for DO and I haven't gotten a clear answer about substituing a com/dean LOR. Is it possible to submit a letter from my Biology Department Chair instead of the Dean or committee? I've called the office but haven't been able to reach the person who can answer the question in admissions. On another note...congrats to all of you who got in, hopefully I'll get to meet you next year since I'll be in the Biomed program. Thanks in advance!

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out, I'll be apply to PCOM this summer for DO and I haven't gotten a clear answer about substituing a com/dean LOR. Is it possible to submit a letter from my Biology Department Chair instead of the Dean or committee? I've called the office but haven't been able to reach the person who can answer the question in admissions. On another note...congrats to all of you who got in, hopefully I'll get to meet you next year since I'll be in the Biomed program. Thanks in advance!

They're pretty strict when it comes to Dean's/Committee letters. You NEED one of those. That's it. Your Biology Department Chair's letter can be used as a supplemental recommendation only. Good luck.

They're pretty strict when it comes to Dean's/Committee letters. You NEED one of those. That's it. Your Biology Department Chair's letter can be used as a supplemental recommendation only. Good luck.

I will also be applying to PCOM and I'm a bit confused by this committee letter. What if my undergrad didn't have a premed committee? I thought the standard 2 letters of rec would suffice?

Hello,

If you do not have a committee or dean that can write your letter, they take a letter from your advisor (i'm not sure who else). Search through the thread...this question was answered many times.

Hey guys,
Thanks for all you responses. I've actually check many threads on sdn about the com/dean letter situation and many posts say a bio chair is acceptable. Again, thanks for all your help. Good luck to everyone going to PCOM.

Hey guys,
Thanks for all you responses. I've actually check many threads on sdn about the com/dean letter situation and many posts say a bio chair is acceptable. Again, thanks for all your help. Good luck to everyone going to PCOM.
Dude, I'm telling you from experience. CALL THE ADMISSIONS DEPARTMENT!!! Don't take anything posted on this forum as the gold standard. Lots and lots of disinformation. They're very nice and knowledgeable over there at PCOM, and they'll tell you EXACTLY (!!!) what you'll need! Don't be foolish and go by the "word on the street."

Hey guys
Quick question. I applied to PCOM this past season and never heard back anything from them. CLearly I wasnt accepted or even invited for an interview (thats OK..I was accepted to a few schools I loved), but PCOM never sent me any final response. Did anyone have the same experience?

Im just kind of annoyed that i went throught expense and hassle of applying, and they didnt even bother to send me any sort of final decision.

Hey guys
Quick question. I applied to PCOM this past season and never heard back anything from them. CLearly I wasnt accepted or even invited for an interview (thats OK..I was accepted to a few schools I loved), but PCOM never sent me any final response. Did anyone have the same experience?

Im just kind of annoyed that i went throught expense and hassle of applying, and they didnt even bother to send me any sort of final decision.

I never heard a peep from PCOM-PA after they acknowledged receipt of my secondary application and check.

Sure nice of them to take our money wasn't it?

Especially when you have to fill out two separate applications and pay two application fees (and still have to snail mail it) if you apply to both campuses!

Oh well, I'm just happy to have an acceptance to one of the campuses!!

Does anyone know how strict is PCOM about getting in the medical questionnaire in before classes?

Currently under my parents' health insurance, which has a huge deductible (so I'd be paying for the physical, TB test, and all of the titers out-of-pocket). Thinking about enrolling in the health insurance offered by PCOM and then doing the physical once I get to school. Have other students done this? Encountered any problems?

Does anyone know how strict is PCOM about getting in the medical questionnaire in before classes?

Currently under my parents' health insurance, which has a huge deductible (so I'd be paying for the physical, TB test, and all of the titers out-of-pocket). Thinking about enrolling in the health insurance offered by PCOM and then doing the physical once I get to school. Have other students done this? Encountered any problems?

This is a question I think pretty much only the school can answer. I would think they'd want this info before matriculation since they want to make sure you are healthy and that there won't be any problems before you start.

A physical and tb test are not that expensive, but titers are very expensive, probably about $100 a piece, so the 5 standard titer's is going to run you about $500. If you explain this to the school they might give you some leeway, but I would spin it as you will pay for the physical and everything else now, and then will get the titer's as soon as the school's insurance kicks in.

It might be worth you while investing in your own health insurance. Even the most basic individual plans include free preventive care, and if titer's are included with your yearly physical they will probably be paid for since they were part of your yearly physical...so if your parent's insurance is so horrible, you probably should shop around. But I would definitely also place a call to your parent's insurance company. Part of the affordable care act states that insurance companies are required to provide certain preventive care without charge or deductible. So I would think you would at least be able to get your physical covered.

Also, you can always look at free care clinics and community health centers...they typically have people who are employed whose sole job is to get you the care you need at an affordable/no cost. So if I were you, I would explore your options.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestions! I'm going to look into my own insurance and call my parents' company.

I was accepted last week off the waitlist to PCOM-PA for the class of 2015! I actually received a phone call saying I was accepted on June 13th while in line to board an airplane for Florida for a week-long vacation with my girlfriend. I was a biomed student this past year at PCOM.

Interviewed 2/24, never received a hold letter, received a wait-list letter on 4/25.

Look forward to meeting all my new classmates in August, and good luck to all those still waiting. I hope to be meeting you all as well.

Wow CONGRATULATIONS! That's awesome! Do you mind telling us your stats? MCAT/GPA?

Does anyone know if PCOM will accept composition classes in the English department as a substitution for the literature requirement if the course had a literary component? In addition, I took a 3 quarter integrated writing/reading course as part of my college's required writing sequence. Will any of these courses count toward the literature requirement or does the class have to be taken in the literature department to count?

Does anyone know if PCOM will accept composition classes in the English department as a substitution for the literature requirement if the course had a literary component? In addition, I took a 3 quarter integrated writing/reading course as part of my college's required writing sequence. Will any of these courses count toward the literature requirement or does the class have to be taken in the literature department to count?

You should check with them, of course, but I don't think a lot of places make a distinction between English and Literature departments. My undergrad only had English and PCOM had no trouble accepting my credits. I would think 3 quarters should be enough.

You should check with them, of course, but I don't think a lot of places make a distinction between English and Literature departments. My undergrad only had English and PCOM had no trouble accepting my credits. I would think 3 quarters should be enough.

I emailed PCOM and they don't even know what counts. They said AACOMAS reports to them if it will count. : / Hopefully it will count if I report in a way that makes it sound like literature.

I emailed PCOM and they don't even know what counts. They said AACOMAS reports to them if it will count. : / Hopefully it will count if I report in a way that makes it sound like literature.

Haha, well if they don't know, from what you listed, I would imagine it would count if there are literature components to the courses.

I'm still waiting for a decision...:(

Is it okay to apply now to this cycle?

I am as well and decided to apply again anyways. My apps are already in. :/ It would be nice to get accepted over the summer but I don't wanna take my chances.

Accepted!-anyone know of any pet-friendly apartments?