PCOM-Ga Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Be sure to come prepared with questions to ask your interviewers.
Thanks for heads up.
would you mind sharing interview experience?
thanks
dk

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings, I am a physician with the MD degree and almost 15 years of cranial osteopathy experience, and I live in the Atlanta area. I would like to know if there is enough interest in cranial osteopathy amongst the PCOM-GA student body to pursue a study group, or for the school to host a course. Even if there are only a few interested students, I would be happy to meet with you. All the best to you in your studies!

I am not accepted (yet ;) ha ha (gotta think positive) at PCOM but if I am, well, I would DEF. be interested. I would like to become a pediatrician and I was hoping for an intense OMM exposure :)

I am not accepted (yet ;) ha ha (gotta think positive) at PCOM but if I am, well, I would DEF. be interested. I would like to become a pediatrician and I was hoping for an intense OMM exposure :)

Ants, for omm experience you will probably get more than you can handle here...probably from one of the best DO in the nation. The downside is that you have a soooooooo much to study (other than omm) that you rarely find time to practice real omm. Most of us practice omm couple days before the exam. It's not that we don't wanna practice omm, it is just that we can't find time for it. And our omm professor really wants you to learn osteopath that he will ask you so hard questions on exams (in fact harder than board exam, and he writes part of the board exam...) So, yea you will get intense omm experience here. It's good thing if you really master omm, and wants to learn from the best DO. It's bad thing if you're not really interested in omm, then you will really have a hard time to pass the course since it is really intense (remember we're part of PCOM). Just wanted to comment on omm...But don't be discouraged, because in the end you will really learn so much and you're gonna be good physician. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ants, for omm experience you will probably get more than you can handle here...probably from one of the best DO in the nation. The downside is that you have a soooooooo much to study (other than omm) that you rarely find time to practice real omm. Most of us practice omm couple days before the exam. It's not that we don't wanna practice omm, it is just that we can't find time for it. And our omm professor really wants you to learn osteopath that he will ask you so hard questions on exams (in fact harder than board exam, and he writes part of the board exam...) So, yea you will get intense omm experience here. It's good thing if you really master omm, and wants to learn from the best DO. It's bad thing if you're not really interested in omm, then you will really have a hard time to pass the course since it is really intense (remember we're part of PCOM). Just wanted to comment on omm...But don't be discouraged, because in the end you will really learn so much and you're gonna be good physician. Good luck!

:) thank you wild wind... I believe DO is the way to go ;) So I am very excited for the OMM labs... I am from Germany originally and I found out that Dr. Ehrenfeuchter teaches OMM labs (??) and he is part of the American German Osteop. Ass. :)
I understand the "time factor" issue... but for those truly into OMM, PCOM is the place to be.
Well, at this point I have to wait for the letter to arrive... I give all of you credit for hanging in there in the "waiting game"... checking the mailbox at least twice a day (..just in case). ;)

Again, thanks for the input... :D

I interviewed at PCOM-GA in January and the committee supposedly met on Wed, 2/2/11. Do any of you know if I should expect to receive my decision letter 2/16/11 (two weeks after their 2/2 meeting)? I am a state away.

I am normally like, "When it comes it comes", but I am finding myself neurotically checking my mailbox at 1PM every day the past week. The anticipation is a lot greater than I expected.

Also, can anyone tell me:

1) How big the acceptance letter was (packet size, or just a small letter)

2) What courier PCOM uses? (USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc)?

Thank you very much in advance!

Be sure to come prepared with questions to ask your interviewers.

I am having a hard time coming up with questions and I am interviewing on Monday. Maybe I am having a brain freeze or many of my questions have already been answered or it is hard to find out any specific information about PCOM-Ga to ask questions. (I know the DO class size is increasing, the Pharmacy School is in their first year, and that clinical rotations are in Atlanta, other parts of GA, TN,and SC.)

What are some examples?

I interviewed at PCOM-GA in January and the committee supposedly met on Wed, 2/2/11. Do any of you know if I should expect to receive my decision letter 2/16/11 (two weeks after their 2/2 meeting)? I am a state away.

I am normally like, "When it comes it comes", but I am finding myself neurotically checking my mailbox at 1PM every day the past week. The anticipation is a lot greater than I expected.

I think the last group heard around a week after the committee met.

No clue on the other two questions.

I am having a hard time coming up with questions and I am interviewing on Monday. Maybe I am having a brain freeze or many of my questions have already been answered or it is hard to find out any specific information about PCOM-Ga to ask questions. (I know the DO class size is increasing, the Pharmacy School is in their first year, and that clinical rotations are in Atlanta, other parts of GA, TN,and SC.)

What are some examples?

Ask them if they know what they are changing the name of the school to yet and where all these extra students are going to park next year.

If I remember correctly it arrives by USPS.

I am glad you are posting as well :) I am from the North and there is literally a trail in the snow to the mailbox ;)

I am thinking tomorrow for sure...

I am glad you are posting as well :) I am from the North and there is literally a trail in the snow to the mailbox ;)

I am thinking tomorrow for sure...

regular envelope mail, it's really thick because of all the letters they stuffed in it. Take a deep breath when you open it and good luck!

Ask them if they know what they are changing the name of the school to yet and where all these extra students are going to park next year.[/QUOTE]

I did have a question about accommodating all the new students. You are kidding about the name change, aren't you?:confused:

Ask them if they know what they are changing the name of the school to yet and where all these extra students are going to park next year.

I did have a question about accommodating all the new students. You are kidding about the name change, aren't you?:confused:[/QUOTE]

Don't worry about that, it was rumor for a little while, but administration shut it down, saying there won't be a name change any time soon.

We're still PCOM-Georgia Campus :)

Members don't see this ad :)

What are some examples?
The interview can become pretty conversational, so just try to relax (I know it's hard) and listen well. You'll probably come up with some good questions on the spot. Just in case, have a couple of basic questions in your back pocket.
As most people have said, it's a pretty relaxed environment that is conducive to interaction. This lends itself to coming up with and asking genuine questions actually driven by your curiosity.

Best of luck to 'y'all'!

Buck

I did have a question about accommodating all the new students. You are kidding about the name change, aren't you?:confused:

Don't worry about that, it was rumor for a little while, but administration shut it down, saying there won't be a name change any time soon.

We're still PCOM-Georgia Campus :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information. I look forward to meeting as may of you as possible Monday.

The interview can become pretty conversational, so just try to relax (I know it's hard) and listen well. You'll probably come up with some good questions on the spot. Just in case, have a couple of basic questions in your back pocket.
As most people have said, it's a pretty relaxed environment that is conducive to interaction. This lends itself to coming up with and asking genuine questions actually driven by your curiosity.

Best of luck to 'y'all'!

Buck

Thanks for the answer

There is an extremely extensive and involved process that schools find themselves going through before a class expansion can be APPROVED. GA-PCOM is under strict guidelines to maintain a level of excellence; with that being said, a class size increase will be met with appropriate changes to the school. Not only is there approximately 1/3 of the building yet to be turned into classroom, study rooms, and labs for both scientific and academic purposes, but the building itself sits on many acres of land ready to be developed into anything we may need.

For the students that have been on the campus and are concerned about parking space, not only is there parking available in the front of the school, but there is a lot behind the school as well (currently used mainly by school personnel). My guess is that one of the first land developments that will happen is for addition parking, but again that is just my guess. In addition, GA-PCOM has agreements with the surrounding building regarding parking for its students; however, this probably will never actually be needed.

Regarding the name change. Yes, there were rumors, and feel welcome to ask the admissions personnel and staff about the topic, but there currently are no active steps in the process for a name change. Regardless, as students of GA-PCOM, you will graduate from a school of grand ambitions for its students with 112 years of history.

I hope this has put some questions to rest and feel free to email me if you have any more.

We're still PCOM-Georgia Campus :)[/QUOTE]

you killjoy, did DB put you up to this?

Makessense, the name change will probably happen but like Jess said, it wont be anytime soon. I apologize for my useless response to your question and any unrest I may have caused in doing so.

Good luck next week.

There is an extremely extensive and involved process that schools find themselves going through before a class expansion can be APPROVED. GA-PCOM is under strict guidelines to maintain a level of excellence; with that being said, a class size increase will be met with appropriate changes to the school. Not only is there approximately 1/3 of the building yet to be turned into classroom, study rooms, and labs for both scientific and academic purposes, but the building itself sits on many acres of land ready to be developed into anything we may need.

For the students that have been on the campus and are concerned about parking space, not only is there parking available in the front of the school, but there is a lot behind the school as well (currently used mainly by school personnel). My guess is that one of the first land developments that will happen is for addition parking, but again that is just my guess. In addition, GA-PCOM has agreements with the surrounding building regarding parking for its students; however, this probably will never actually be needed.

Regarding the name change. Yes, there were rumors, and feel welcome to ask the admissions personnel and staff about the topic, but there currently are no active steps in the process for a name change. Regardless, as students of GA-PCOM, you will graduate from a school of grand ambitions for its students with 112 years of history.

I hope this has put some questions to rest and feel free to email me if you have any more.

And this is the probably the exact answer you will receive from admissions should you decide to ask either of those questions...

And this is the probably the exact answer you will receive from admissions should you decide to ask either of those questions...

No need to ask since I probably have the answer. Besides, I will follow the earlier advice and let the questions come from the flow of the conversational interview. I usually do well in these types of situations.

Again, I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible Monday. I will not be hard to spot, as I will be the "old guy" in the group of those interviewing.

... still no mail today... I thought for sure today... :scared:

Accepted. Good luck to those still waiting.

Last edited:
no news yet. waiting on letter in the mail, haven't received an email unless it's in spam folder

does anyone know what the COMLEX and USMLE 1st time pass rates are for GA-PCOM? I'm having a hard time finding this info. thanks!

... I assume that some of us might find out tomorrow :scared: :D:rolleyes::thumbup:

I got my acceptance letter yesterday! :D Whew, such a relief to get this finally.

Good luck to all pending applicants and can't wait to meet my fellow 2015 classmates in August!

I got my acceptance letter yesterday! :D Whew, such a relief to get this finally.

Good luck to all pending applicants and can't wait to meet my fellow 2015 classmates in August!

oh wow...that is so awesome. Congrats :) excellent :) I hope to say the same thing very soon... i am in NY so it might be in mail tomorrow :)

May I ask what state you are in?

I'm interviewing here in a week or so. Anybody know if they still have spots or have they moved on to purely wait list interviewing?

I'm interviewing here in a week or so. Anybody know if they still have spots or have they moved on to purely wait list interviewing?

Not sure, but I know when I interviewed mid-January, they stated they had plenty of slots still open...more than half IIRC.

ACCCCEEEEEPPPPTTTEEEDDDDD :D:):rolleyes::love:

Wow:soexcited::clap::bow: I would say that this is the best day of my 28 years of life :)

I am so excited to meet everybody this August, a big thank you to all of you on SDN and the wonderful admissions staff at PCOM.

Great news everyone on acceptance!!! I'm mailing in my $250 right now ! still waiting to hear on another school, as this is a huge decision, but I feel really good about PCOM-Georgia and definitely am gonna hold on to this acceptance as long as I can :)

Great news everyone on acceptance!!! I'm mailing in my $250 right now ! still waiting to hear on another school, as this is a huge decision, but I feel really good about PCOM-Georgia and definitely am gonna hold on to this acceptance as long as I can :)

congrats. when did you interviewe?

Hey does anyone know that since they're increasing the class size by 50% this year if they're going to have us in a different lecture room than the one we saw on tour? I heard someone say that they were gonna be using the pharmacy classrooms but wasn't sure if that was true or just rumor? also heard they were going to be doing some construction during the summer after classes....

anyways just curious thanks! :love:

ACCCCEEEEEPPPPTTTEEEDDDDD :D:):rolleyes::love:

Wow:soexcited::clap::bow: I would say that this is the best day of my 28 years of life :)

I am so excited to meet everybody this August, a big thank you to all of you on SDN and the wonderful admissions staff at PCOM.

congrats!!:xf::xf:

Hey does anyone know that since they're increasing the class size by 50% this year if they're going to have us in a different lecture room than the one we saw on tour? I heard someone say that they were gonna be using the pharmacy classrooms but wasn't sure if that was true or just rumor? also heard they were going to be doing some construction during the summer after classes....

anyways just curious thanks! :love:
Yes its true, the class sizes are jumping from 85 to 135ish.

Cant use the pharm rooms, there will be first and 2nd year classes in those next year. They will be doing a little construction this summer to prepare for the increase in class sizes so the DO side will have 2 lecture halls that can accommodate the increase in class sizes.

Anybody know the status of the class or if the're still inviting people to interview? I'm a FL resident, got the "secondary complete" email Feb. 9th. Sounds like if I don't hear from them by the end of the month, it's probably not in the cards... Thanks!

Anybody know the status of the class or if the're still inviting people to interview? I'm a FL resident, got the "secondary complete" email Feb. 9th. Sounds like if I don't hear from them by the end of the month, it's probably not in the cards... Thanks!

Just had my interview this past Monday. I would not worry about not hearing from them until the middle of next month. BTW, in my interview group of 4, there were 2 Florida graduates.

so does that mean they're building new classrooms or what? stadium lecture halls perhaps ?
The back half of the building was until recently completely undeveloped. It was just a gigantic open space. I went back there a couple of weeks ago though and now there is a bunch of new rooms that have been framed out and drywalled. Not certain which students will end up where next year, but it seems that there will be more than enough room for everyone.

Also, there is a large parking lot behind the building that is currently used only by faculty and staff, so there is a lot of room for extra cars.

I have to say that with exception to a one-off event here or there, the facilities are terrific, and far superior to some state schools I've visited.

Hope that helps alleviate concerns.

what's the difference between integrated curriculum and systems-based?
I realize that in tri-3 we go to systems based, but what's the advantage of doing this over starting with systems-based from day 1 ?

just curious in the differences between the 2 and how the board pass rates vary between the two diff type curriculums.

thanks!

I totally agree with this guy. Alot of people who I know did well on boards did everything themselves and have to take the next step. The schools only provide the best resources, and basically you are choosing which school provides the best resources.

I have just been offered an interview for March 7th. Anyone else interviewing then? Any tips? Just to be safe, I have already submitted my deposit at KCUMB, and kind of want to get out of living in downtown chicago

probably around 90% for each if i remember correctly from when i saw it. not really sure what that means though. do 90% pass on the first go-round, or do 90% ultimately pass (regardless of the number of attempts). who knows, and honestly its about the same (+ or - a few % points) between osteopathic programs. i know several people from PCOM-ga that have smoked both boards with 99%'s.

but bottom line, you'll be doing more self-learning than you can while in medical school. the professors will do their best to help cover board-related material, but who are we kidding. most end up forgetting at least 75% (if not more) of what they learned by the time the next term starts.

subsequently, at the end of the day, the responsibility of passing the boards lies on your shoulders, not on the school's.

Hi, so I'm planning on applying to this school in May, and wanted ya'lls opinion on if I have a shot. My wife has a best friend living in Atlanta, so she is very hopeful that I have a shot. Also, I'm interested in doing a dual DO/MPH through PCOM-GA/Emory, have ya'll ever heard of someone doing that? Here are my numbers from another post.

2.93 cGPA (AMCAS) - will be more like 3.02 through AACOMAS
3.16 sGPA
36T MCAT
1200+ hours volunteering
~400 hours were medical
~80-100 hours shadowing (30 with DO)
30 year old air force veteran/father
Will graduate in May w/ BA + BS bio
Interviewed at one Texas school this year
Teach for MCAT prep course
Will have much stronger letters this time around

I will be spending the next year in India, where wife will be working while I watch our daughter and work on an online grad certificate in public health. I'll also get in some significant medical volunteering.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hi, so I'm planning on applying to this school in May, and wanted ya'lls opinion on if I have a shot. My wife has a best friend living in Atlanta, so she is very hopeful that I have a shot. Also, I'm interested in doing a dual DO/MPH through PCOM-GA/Emory, have ya'll ever heard of someone doing that? Here are my numbers from another post.

2.93 cGPA (AMCAS) - will be more like 3.02 through AACOMAS
3.16 sGPA
36T MCAT
1200+ hours volunteering
~400 hours were medical
~80-100 hours shadowing (30 with DO)
30 year old air force veteran/father
Will graduate in May w/ BA + BS bio
Interviewed at one Texas school this year
Teach for MCAT prep course
Will have much stronger letters this time around

I will be spending the next year in India, where wife will be working while I watch our daughter and work on an online grad certificate in public health. I'll also get in some significant medical volunteering.

Thanks in advance for your input.
For what they're worth, here are a few thoughts:

Your GPA's a little low, so you'll have to explain that. Super MCAT score and other creds will certainly help though.

Are you from the southeast? With few exceptions, most of the students are either from the southeast, have lived here for a decent amount of time, or have close ties to the southeast. Just having a friend who lives in Atlanta probably won't cut it, so if you're not from the southeast, then you're going to need a pretty tight story.

For what they're worth, here are a few thoughts:

Your GPA's a little low, so you'll have to explain that. Super MCAT score and other creds will certainly help though.

Are you from the southeast? With few exceptions, most of the students are either from the southeast, have lived here for a decent amount of time, or have close ties to the southeast. Just having a friend who lives in Atlanta probably won't cut it, so if you're not from the southeast, then you're going to need a pretty tight story.

Thanks for the info. My guess is being stationed in MS for 6 months wouldn't quite cut it.

I'll probably still apply, but with less luck.