PCOM-Ga Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does any current third or fourth year student have a list of rotation sites as well as the rotations available at those sites? I've checked the catalog, and it gives a list of the sites, but doesn't tell you where those sites are or anything about the hospitals.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering this too. I was complete back in January...GA resident here with 3.6 GPA, 27 MCAT wondering why I haven't heard anything.

Well, there could be a bunch of different reasons why you in particular have not been interviewed. Perhaps they didn't like your sGPA, or your were lacking relevent EC's. Or, most likely, you submitted your application at a very heavy influx period and it just hasn't gotten reviewed yet. Try to stay positive. I'm sure something is coming soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email two days ago asking if I was still interested in PCOM-GA. After my interview, my application was put on some sort of hold. They reviewed it a few weeks after the interview and decided to re-review it after a few weeks. It's been a bit frustrating to figure out the status of my application.

Anyway, I responded right away that I was still interested. I'm supposed to hear back by April 1st. Update: I meant May 1st. Sorry for the typo.

Today, I called to check up and make sure everything was on track. I was told to "wait a few more days. Good news is on its way". I hope that means what I think it means. They also said that the interviews are over and that the class isn't scheduled to be filled until June.

Last edited:
I received an email two days ago asking if I was still interested in PCOM-GA. After my interview, my application was put on some sort of hold. They reviewed it a few weeks after the interview and decided to re-review it after a few weeks. It's been a bit frustrating to figure out the status of my application.

Anyway, I responded right away that I was still interested. I'm supposed to hear back by April 1st. Update: I meant May 1st. Sorry for the typo.

Today, I called to check up and make sure everything was on track. I was told to "wait a few more days. Good news is on its way". I hope that means what I think it means. They also said that the interviews are over and that the class isn't scheduled to be filled until June.

From your previous post, I thought you had interviewed with PCOM early February and got an acceptance already. ...? and was turning PCOM down because of NYCOM. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I received the same email asking if I am still interested. Of course I am! It's my top school, guess I'll check on Monday with them about my status. I interviewed early March and they said they haven't made a decision.

Just wanted to let those waiting to hear that I have rescinded my acceptance. I know the deadline for the huge deposit is April 15th so there should be movement after that. I had a hard time letting this acceptance go b/c it is such a great school but I ultimately chose another school and am currently waitlisted at my state school. Good luck to those still waiting!

I received that same email mentioned above and replied that I am still interested but like you guys still haven't heard anything. Must be something about the $$$ deposit time of year as within the span of 2 days I got two other similar emails from schools that had earlier also put me on mystery hold.
PCOM is my first choice, but just out of curiosity for those that have chosen to go elsewhere, what did you feel PCOM lacked that your ultimate choice will provide?

Hey, I'm trying to make a head-start on anatomy studying, and scoured the facebook GA-PCOM pages from prior years (2014, etc) to see what books are recommended. Seems like everyone has their own opinion (some get them all such as Netters, and others), some don't even buy any books and read straight from class lecture printouts/presentations.... I was thinking of buying the Netters anatomy book current edition and getting the flash card app for my iphone also... does anyone have any other suggestions for the best way to get a head start?

Hey, I'm trying to make a head-start on anatomy studying, and scoured the facebook GA-PCOM pages from prior years (2014, etc) to see what books are recommended. Seems like everyone has their own opinion (some get them all such as Netters, and others), some don't even buy any books and read straight from class lecture printouts/presentations.... I was thinking of buying the Netters anatomy book current edition and getting the flash card app for my iphone also... does anyone have any other suggestions for the best way to get a head start?

Just about everyone will tell you that prepping before classes start is bad. I am not one of those people ;)

I've taken medical school anatomy, histology and neuroscience through a post-bacc program. Before I began, a friend of mine told me to buy Rohen's atlas (totally worth it), read through it and quiz myself daily. I'm glad I listened to him. Lab was so much easier, I didn't have to spend a crazy amount of time preparing for the practical exams and I did well on the practical exams.

During the school year, I only studied from Rohen and the Netter flashcards for the lab portion of class. For the lecture portion, I used the class notes and BRS. The head of the anatomy department (also my boss) gave me an older copy of the class textbook and I used it as a supplement.

I am one of those people...enjoy the time while you can, it will be nonstop once you start. But if you are really bored and have absolutely nothing better to do and if you are seriously motivated (if you half heartedly study Anatomy it will probably be a waste of time) but if you are really gung ho then get a good atlas: Rohens is great because its cadavers and looks like what you will be seeing in lab, Netters is just a great book, they have pretty great flash cards as well that most people get. The text book we used this year was Essential Clinical Anatomy, 4th Ed by Moore. We used Grants Dissector, 14th Ed for lab...its also a good read.
Pretty much the whole class used the UMich website. Its a good guide through dissections and has practice quizzes, both written and Identifying structures.

Forgot about the UMich site...I also used that during my program. It's a great resource.

I agree with teacherman. Rohen's is awesome. Netter's is also great. I wasn't a big fan of Gilroy, but others in my class loved it. However, I recommend that you DO NOT study ahead of time. Your freedom will be gone when August gets here. Use your summer to let your brain relax. Studying for the whole summer may cause you to burn out early. Nobody in our class pre-studied during the summer prior to medical school and we're all doing fine. This is a game of endurance. Spending your summer studying will cause you to tire early in the game.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with teacherman. Rohen's is awesome. Netter's is also great. I wasn't a big fan of Gilroy, but others in my class loved it. However, I recommend that you DO NOT study ahead of time. Your freedom will be gone when August gets here. Use your summer to let your brain relax. Studying for the whole summer may cause you to burn out early. Nobody in our class pre-studied during the summer prior to medical school and we're all doing fine. This is a game of endurance. Spending your summer studying will cause you to tire early in the game.

+1.

No matter how deep your passion and how good you may be, you will likely have periods of deep disdain during the year. I still love medicine and can't imagine doing anything else, but frankly there are many extended periods of pure suck. A lot of times during those periods, you'll be asked to add yet another thing to your plate.

You will experience a lot of joy during the process and your knowledge base will grow immeasurably, but periodic feelings of failure and misery are pretty much the norm for all of us. I suspect that no amount of pre-work will allow you to avoid this, and as mentioned above, it may only invite early burnout. Consider this before you give up even a second of your free-life and open a book before you have to. I've met no one who said, "Man, I'm really glad I dug into Netter's over the summer."

Now I'm back at it for another two hours tonight (that will make 5 hours), and that's after 14 hours this weekend and no less than 24 this upcoming weekend. Point is, if not already clear, don't do it man.....don't do it. :)

In reference to the comments made by my classmates above: Agreed.

If anything, you will feel regret looking back, knowing the only summer you had off, you used it to keep studying. Let your brain rest, anatomy will still be there in August. :)

The only prep I'm doing is I'm retaking A&P 1 and 2 this semester as my only classes. I know it's definitely not as in depth as we will encounter first year, but it does keep a lot of info fresh on the mind. This summer I'll work in a hospital as a scribe and play computer games. There's no way I'm gonna stress about prepping for gross anatomy. I'll be in the lab when that time comes.

lol...my original post makes me sounds like I'm a gunner. I'm not going nuts with prep :) If I have some down time at work, I flip through my Netter flash cards. I've been doing this since last summer at the recommendation of my anatomy professor to keep the material fresh in my mind. I certainly don't do it over the weekends or when I'm home at night. I'm not touching any other textbooks until I get to Georgia!

lol...my original post makes me sounds like I'm a gunner. I'm not going nuts with prep :) If I have some down time at work, I flip through my Netter flash cards. I've been doing this since last summer at the recommendation of my anatomy professor to keep the material fresh in my mind. I certainly don't do it over the weekends or when I'm home at night. I'm not touching any other textbooks until I get to Georgia!

Reviewing something youve already exhaustively learned requires a lot less effort than for someone starting fresh to tackle Gross. We were just recommending that those who wanted to get a jump start not squander their precious final months of freedom.

Anybody know what the dress code is for the luncheon tomorrow?

PCOM GA is a good school

I received that same email mentioned above and replied that I am still interested but like you guys still haven't heard anything. Must be something about the $$$ deposit time of year as within the span of 2 days I got two other similar emails from schools that had earlier also put me on mystery hold.
PCOM is my first choice, but just out of curiosity for those that have chosen to go elsewhere, what did you feel PCOM lacked that your ultimate choice will provide?

Just wanted to let those waiting to hear that I have rescinded my acceptance. I know the deadline for the huge deposit is April 15th so there should be movement after that. I had a hard time letting this acceptance go b/c it is such a great school but I ultimately chose another school and am currently waitlisted at my state school. Good luck to those still waiting!

Tough decision but today I officially withdrew my acceptance from PCOM-GA. I agree that there should be big movement for you all waiting for an interview or on an alternate list.

Does anyone know the date of the adcom meeting this month?

From your previous post, I thought you had interviewed with PCOM early February and got an acceptance already. ...? and was turning PCOM down because of NYCOM. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not that you should be at all concerned with my decisions, I got into Phila, not GA. I really don't like Philadelphia as a city. I've paid at NYCOM but I had initially wanted to head down south for medical school. I still don't know if I would go to PCOM-GA over NYCOM but I'd like to get a definitive answer for some closure.

Not that you should be at all concerned with my decisions, I got into Phila, not GA. I really don't like Philadelphia as a city. I've paid at NYCOM but I had initially wanted to head down south for medical school. I still don't know if I would go to PCOM-GA over NYCOM but I'd like to get a definitive answer for some closure.

the nerve of some people

So you were told to wait a few days but haven't heard anything in two weeks? I had considered calling to see what's going on but sort of figured if anything was happening it would get posted here.
If all you want is closure then you just need to decide whether to be proactive (withdraw from pcom) or reactive (tell them no once they say yes), depending on how patient you are.

I also got the 'are you still interested?' email a couple of weeks ago...and today I got my acceptance letter! Check your mail, guys :)

Last edited:
Tough decision but today I officially withdrew my acceptance from PCOM-GA. I agree that there should be big movement for you all waiting for an interview or on an alternate list.
which school did you chose?

I just took a road trip to Atlanta with the girlfriend because she wanted to see Emory so I decided to swing by PCOM-GA and was kind of surprised by what I saw. The pictures on the website make it look like an awesome hotel but when I drove by it looked like a UPS/FedEx warehouse. I know the building doesn’t mean anything but is it nice for people that applied?

I just took a road trip to Atlanta with the girlfriend because she wanted to see Emory so I decided to swing by PCOM-GA and was kind of surprised by what I saw. The pictures on the website make it look like an awesome hotel but when I drove by it looked like a UPS/FedEx warehouse. I know the building doesn’t mean anything but is it nice for people that applied?

The appearance of building has nothing to do with your medical education, in my opinion. Yes, it does look little funny, but nobody in school complain about it. There are more important things you should be concerned about like quality of program etc. It would be immature to choose med school based on how the building looks like...(but to be fair, I had similar initial reaction about the campus but now being med student I pay no attention to such thing because that's the last thing you would be concerned about) Just my thought.

Well, the building resembles a warehouse because that was the original purpose and design of that building. But then PCOM bought it and transformed it into a school. It's in a nicer industrial park kind of area with other warehouse/offices flanked by commercial and residential areas.

The interior of the school is actually very nice and looks like a proper shool. Although, there are some clues that point toward the warehouse origins of the building as you'll notice that the the ceilings are really high and some doors lead to huge open warehouse space that have yet to have classes constructed into them. I'll admit, it doesn't look like a older, traditional school. However, the facilities are new and modern so I have no complaints.

Did you happen to drive by Emory SOM by Grady Hospital? Not exactly an ideal location :). Plus the classrooms are decades behind the brand new facilities of PCOM. I havent been to all of the Emory classrooms, but the ones I have been in are quite outdated. Equipped with Orange chairs, creaky wooden desks, etc

There Is definitely movement off the waitlist, I received a Letter in the mail yesterday congratulating me of my acceptance.

Did you happen to drive by Emory SOM by Grady Hospital? Not exactly an ideal location :). Plus the classrooms are decades behind the brand new facilities of PCOM. I havent been to all of the Emory classrooms, but the ones I have been in are quite outdated. Equipped with Orange chairs, creaky wooden desks, etc

Out of curiousity, can you specify which building you are talking about? I just graduated from Emory University, and I can assure you the School of Medicine is not by Grady Hospital nor are their classrooms decades behind PCOM. The SOM is within the University which is in Decatur.

emory-university-medical-education-building-1.jpg

Out of curiousity, can you specify which building you are talking about? I just graduated from Emory University, and I can assure you the School of Medicine is not by Grady Hospital nor are their classrooms decades behind PCOM. The SOM is within the University which is in Decatur.

Yah that def doesn't look like the buildings and rooms I have been in. haha...What are all of the run-down buildings by Grady that all say Emory SOM all over them?

Yea that's the buildings we toured.. But I really like PCOM and was just kind of bummed when I saw the school compared to Emory.

Yah that def doesn't look like the buildings and rooms I have been in. haha...What are all of the run-down buildings by Grady that all say Emory SOM all over them?

I have no idea but I do know that Grady receives 3rd and 4th years med students from Emory University and Morehouse. I will be starting in PCOM in the fall, and yes I was taken back by their infrastructure, but I was also impressed with their anatomy lab and the large classrooms with multimedia projections. No you cannot compare PCOM to Emory SOM or any of the top 50 med schools in the country, but I'm def excited to start in the fall and ready prove to all of my peers (who matriculated into MD schools) that I am getting a great education and will compete with them when it comes time to match for various residencies.

To Polisci: you gotta make do with what your given with to the best of your abilities. Don't let the wow factor deter you from otherwise getting a great medical education. My MCAT score was as high if not higher than a lot of kids who got into allopathic programs, but PCOM was the one who gave me the acceptance, and I am grateful for it.

I have no idea but I do know that Grady receives 3rd and 4th years med students from Emory University and Morehouse. I will be starting in PCOM in the fall, and yes I was taken back by their infrastructure, but I was also impressed with their anatomy lab and the large classrooms with multimedia projections. No you cannot compare PCOM to Emory SOM or any of the top 50 med schools in the country, but I'm def excited to start in the fall and ready prove to all of my peers (who matriculated into MD schools) that I am getting a great education and will compete with them when it comes time to match for various residencies.

To Polisci: you gotta make do with what your given with to the best of your abilities. Don't let the wow factor deter you from otherwise getting a great medical education. My MCAT score was as high if not higher than a lot of kids who got into allopathic programs, but PCOM was the one who gave me the acceptance, and I am grateful for it.

I couldnt have said it better myself. I feel a bit naive now as I have been a GA native (Atlanta specifically) my entire life and didn't know where Emory SOM was. For some reason I assumed it was down by Grady instead of their normal campus. I think it was all the time i spent at Grady and seeing all of the large signs over the crappy buildings that made me thing the SOM was down there.

And yes, the pcom anatomy lab is pretty awesome. I am definitely excited to begin and become the best physician I can.

Congratulations on your acceptance GA Doc! I am currently on the alternate's list and am really anxious...any one else get an acceptance off of the list?? Any one know if there are any updates or how it is going right now?

Thanks

Congratulations on your acceptance GA Doc! I am currently on the alternate's list and am really anxious...any one else get an acceptance off of the list?? Any one know if there are any updates or how it is going right now?

Thanks

well I hope you get in because we need some more Dawgs!

I am currently on the alternate's list and am really anxious...any one else get an acceptance off of the list?? Any one know if there are any updates or how it is going right now?

Thanks
I'm still on it as well and was wondering the same thing. Surely there is some sort of organization to it, though when I asked I was told there wasn't really a way to tell where one might be on the list. Should we fill out FAFSAs just in case? It's kind of an awkward limbo to be in, but congrats to everyone who gets in (or has gotten in).

I know you wont be told where you fall on the waitlist but I can say for sure that there has been some movement off it. Good luck!

Waspahh, congrats on being accepted!! Did you get accepted off of the Alternate's List? If so, do you mind sharing your stats?

Studiddy, I have been trying to figure out if we should fill out the FAFSA - I will let you know as soon as I know.

I wake up every morning and first thing I do is check my email and then around noon-ish go check the mail...then make a sad face and wait for the next day :(

Thank you! No, I wasn't accepted off the waitlist, though. I just have a friend who was. Hang in there! As scary as it is, there are people who have been accepted the week before classes. Call the schools financial aid office and ask them about the fafsa issue. They will tell you what you should do to be prepared.

Last edited:
I have been told to wait for a decision before filling out the FAFSA.

I'm withdrawing my application and releasing my acceptance today. Good luck to all of you on the waitlist!!

Hello everyone,

I have an interview coming up at the end of this month.. I really want to go to GAPCOM but am concerned since the interview is so late in the process.. Can anyone tell me the best person to get in touch with at the school to see what kind of chances I will still have at this point? Thanks!