PCOM-Ga Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Boudda-
i'm in TX and accepted for class of 2015. shoot me a pm if you want. i'm also military

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the info. My guess is being stationed in MS for 6 months wouldn't quite cut it.

I'll probably still apply, but with less luck.

Dont stress it man. They seem to care more about ties to the south and not where youre from. Dont make up things or talk about nonsensical ties to the region but be honest about your desire to come here.
Weve got quite a few vets here already.
As for the DO/MPH thing. We have a program set up but its not with Emory...not sure how likely it would be to get that going though.

Dont stress it man. They seem to care more about ties to the south and not where youre from. Dont make up things or talk about nonsensical ties to the region but be honest about your desire to come here.
Weve got quite a few vets here already.
As for the DO/MPH thing. We have a program set up but its not with Emory...not sure how likely it would be to get that going though.
Sorry if I came across as discouraging. Though it may make the odds a bit longer, you should certainly still apply. There are people from areas other than the SE in our class. Just not a ton. Also, I'm guessing a 36 on the MCAT can open a lot of doors.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
What Happens if they do change the name of GA-PCOM ? I love the PCOM name and legacy that it has and that's a big reason why I'm choosing this school over a brand new school. if this name changes when I graduate or right after, it's gonna be like a brand new school itself.

What Happens if they do change the name of GA-PCOM ? I love the PCOM name and legacy that it has and that's a big reason why I'm choosing this school over a brand new school. if this name changes when I graduate or right after, it's gonna be like a brand new school itself.

Hey Prone - The consensus opinion of current students is right in line with yours. We all value the PCOM brand and don't want to be dissociated from it. We were polled and that was a common response. We have been told that if it does happen, it will be a long way down the road. Hopefully it doesn't happen at all though. Or if it does, hopefully any new name will keep PCOM somewhere in it.

Hey Prone - The consensus opinion of current students is right in line with yours. We all value the PCOM brand and don't want to be dissociated from it. We were polled and that was a common response. We have been told that if it does happen, it will be a long way down the road. Hopefully it doesn't happen at all though. Or if it does, hopefully any new name will keep PCOM somewhere in it.

thanks Buck! so we're not talking like the next 4 years here then? Is this basically b/c we have the pharmacy program here now? schools like LECOM and TOURO don't seem to mind having branch campuses in other parts of the country. I know KCUMB changed names in 2004 and had changed names prior to that as well.

Any tips for future interviewers. Was it relatively relaxed as some people say

RELAX, RELAX, RELAX!! I know, this is easier said than done.

Apart from this, know why DO?, why Ga-PCOM? The interview is open file and conversational. The interview is really non stressful, if you can call a med school interview that.

Also, have a list of two or three questions to ask those interviewing you.

I have had a few interviews this interview season, and GA-PCOM was probably my easiest and least stressful. I will second the tip to have 2 or 3 good questions to ask your interviewers. Also, know the answers to the obvious questions (why medicine, why DO, why georgia).

any one got recent acceptence letter from GA-PCOPM?
They were supposed to meet on Friday for Feb interviews.
Any updates please.

I got an interview invite last friday for March 7th! This will be my first school interview ever! I am flying in from Dallas, TX. With it a week away, I spent a great deal of money on airfare, hotel, car :(. Is anyone else interviewing the same day? My interview time says 11:30am. Do you guys know if I'll be done by 1:30pm?? My flight leaves at 3pm :D. I would love to hear from Texas applicants that have been interviewed here.

I got an interview invite last friday for March 7th! This will be my first school interview ever! I am flying in from Dallas, TX. With it a week away, I spent a great deal of money on airfare, hotel, car :(. Is anyone else interviewing the same day? My interview time says 11:30am. Do you guys know if I'll be done by 1:30pm?? My flight leaves at 3pm :D. I would love to hear from Texas applicants that have been interviewed here.

Congrats on the interview! I am from Dallas as well and got accepted. you'll be done by 1:30 IF you get to go first in the interview. I'd see if you can maybe push the flight out a little later to be on the safe side with ATL traffic and having to ride the train to those diff terminals. shoot me a PM and we'll talk more.

If your email says to be on campus by 9 (or 9:30) and your interview is at 11:30 am, you're part of the morning interview group. They usually finish up by noon, so you'll have plenty of time to make it to the airport.

Good luck on your interview!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So the comittee meets once a month to make acceptance decisions, and the next meeting is 3/23?

Last edited:
any one got recent acceptence letter from GA-PCOPM?
They were supposed to meet on Friday for Feb interviews.
Any updates please.
I was under that impression as well; thought we were going to hear something by yesterday but I could be mistaken. Guess we'll see what happens today.

I was under that impression as well; thought we were going to hear something by yesterday but I could be mistaken. Guess we'll see what happens today.

I interviewed in January, admissions met on Feb. 2nd (or something like that) for my interview cycle; however, they were delayed in getting letters out, so I didn't receive my acceptance letter until Feb. 14. Basically what I am saying is be patient, admissions, as you can imagine, is really busy.

congrats that's pretty exciting! When did you apply here? I was complete on Feb 8th so I am wondering if they have got to look at my app yet? Also, do you mind sharing some stats?

Thanks

I interviewed in January, admissions met on Feb. 2nd (or something like that) for my interview cycle; however, they were delayed in getting letters out, so I didn't receive my acceptance letter until Feb. 14. Basically what I am saying is be patient, admissions, as you can imagine, is really busy.

Im sure they are slammed and there is no real rush (for me at least). Im sure they'll let us know as soon as they can. This forum makes it hard to be patient.

If your email says to be on campus by 9 (or 9:30) and your interview is at 11:30 am, you're part of the morning interview group. They usually finish up by noon, so you'll have plenty of time to make it to the airport.

Good luck on your interview!

Thanks! Yeah I'm suppose to be there at 845am for the tour.

Hey everyone!

Is anyone on hold at PCOM-GA? If so, can you shed some light on what exactly that means? I've heard from some people that it's the kiss-of-death. Is that true?

Not sure if it's the same thing but my letter said they were going "to delay a decision". That is something less than reassuring but hopefully it isn't all bad.

Hey everyone!

Is anyone on hold at PCOM-GA? If so, can you shed some light on what exactly that means? I've heard from some people that it's the kiss-of-death. Is that true?
It's not the kiss of death.

I know some people who got in off the 'hold' list last year, myself included. If the process is like last year (proviso: as well as I understood it), they complete the interview season and offer places to those who they want to accept on first pass. Then they rank the hold list. Those on the top will be offered any remaining seats first. Some on the bottom may be rejected. The rest will be waitlisted and offered any seats that open through late spring and summer.

You shouldn't give up until the day classes start. I think the last guy in our class got the call a day two before that. Also, don't sit still. Keep improving yourself over the summer, keep them updated, and have your plan ready for the next pass if you need it. Demonstrated performance, desire, and persistence will prove becoming.

I do not think I will be attending PCOM-GA. I wish everyone luck!!!!

We are all going to be class of 2015!!!!!

can current students please comment on courses, commuting to different rotation sites, overall clinical experience at PCOM-GA?

It's not the kiss of death.

I know some people who got in off the 'hold' list last year, myself included. If the process is like last year (proviso: as well as I understood it), they complete the interview season and offer places to those who they want to accept on first pass. Then they rank the hold list. Those on the top will be offered any remaining seats first. Some on the bottom may be rejected. The rest will be waitlisted and offered any seats that open through late spring and summer.

You shouldn't give up until the day classes start. I think the last guy in our class got the call a day two before that. Also, don't sit still. Keep improving yourself over the summer, keep them updated, and have your plan ready for the next pass if you need it. Demonstrated performance, desire, and persistence will prove becoming.

Thanks for the response, BuckFMP. That's great to hear. I definitely didn't plan to sitting still but wanted to get a realistic sense of how feasible it is to get off the "hold list". I was fortunate enough to get accepted to some other schools but PCOM-GA was high on my list and I want to be able to make the best decision possible.

Thanks again.

This question is focused more toward current students at PCOM-GA, but I suppose I'm really just soliciting general opinions. I was taking a look at the curriculum/holiday schedule in the catalog, and I noticed that there is no holiday break whatsoever. How did all of you feel about this before starting the program, and how do you feel about it now? Also, for those of you not from GA, is there actually any time to go home and see family for the holidays? I'm of the opinion that not being able to see my family, whom I'm very close with, for 4 years is really pretty ridiculous, seeing as how no other program I've looked at/interviewed at eliminates the winter break.

This question is focused more toward current students at PCOM-GA, but I suppose I'm really just soliciting general opinions. I was taking a look at the curriculum/holiday schedule in the catalog, and I noticed that there is no holiday break whatsoever. How did all of you feel about this before starting the program, and how do you feel about it now? Also, for those of you not from GA, is there actually any time to go home and see family for the holidays? I'm of the opinion that not being able to see my family, whom I'm very close with, for 4 years is really pretty ridiculous, seeing as how no other program I've looked at/interviewed at eliminates the winter break.
During the winter holidays, we get two weeks off. This is true for the first three years with the possible exception of a rotation track or two. I'm not certain how the fourth year works.

I dont know what schedule you are looking at but you definitely have time off. Like Buck said we have two weeks for Winter break, a few days off for Thanksgiving which is enough to go home if you live nearby, and a week long Spring break. Youve got the summer off between 1st and 2nd year so you can spend the whole summer at home if that what you want.

I attached our schedule for this past year for anyone wants to see dates

Attachments

• TermSchedule10-11.docx
    15.9 KB · Views: 135
I dont know what schedule you are looking at but you definitely have time off. Like Buck said we have two weeks for Winter break, a few days off for Thanksgiving which is enough to go home if you live nearby, and a week long Spring break. Youve got the summer off between 1st and 2nd year so you can spend the whole summer at home if that what you want.

I attached our schedule for this past year for anyone wants to see dates

This is exactly what I was hoping everyone would say. Thanks to both of you for clearing it up for me. To answer your question though, this is the link that I was referring to:

http://www.pcom.edu/academic_programs/catalogs/current_CATALOG.PDF

In the calendar section, it makes no mention of any extended break periods for students. I was hoping, and correctly so, that it was just listing the dates that the school is closed. But, it never hurts to makes sure.

Thanks for asking that Obi. I was curious about it too!

Can any students comment on how frequent the tests are given within the tri-mesters? ex. every 3 weeks ? are the tests cumulative ?

thanks!

Thanks for asking that Obi. I was curious about it too!

Can any students comment on how frequent the tests are given within the tri-mesters? ex. every 3 weeks ? are the tests cumulative ?

thanks!

Typically every 3 weeks with the occasional 2 or 4 week spread. Tests are not cumulative in the first year (except a Primary Care Skills final and our Neuro lab this term

if not cumulative in first year do they switch to cummulative in second year ?

how bad is that neuro block?

or do they switch to systems in third trimester right?

if not cumulative in first year do they switch to cummulative in second year ?

how bad is that neuro block?

or do they switch to systems in third trimester right?

I havent heard any second years say anything is cumulative but I dont know for certain so I didnt want to say one way or another. Systems do begin this term with Neuro, so far so good but were only in week two and havent had our first test so well see.

Nice, prone2xl! Did anyone by the way get an invitation to come on April 15th for a Welcome Reception and Financial Aid Workshop? And a separate card that had dates for Family & Friends meet and greet?

Just wanted to post with my new signature !

Nice, prone2xl! Did anyone by the way get an invitation to come on April 15th for a Welcome Reception and Financial Aid Workshop? And a separate card that had dates for Family & Friends meet and greet?

Not yet, did you receive that with the new student binder (which I've yet to receive) or was this an invitation mailed to you separate from the binder?

Not yet, did you receive that with the new student binder (which I've yet to receive) or was this an invitation mailed to you separate from the binder?

No, I have not received a new student binder. It was mailed separately in a fancy invitation card with 2 separate RSVP cards and an envelope to mail it back in.

No, I have not received a new student binder. It was mailed separately in a fancy invitation card with 2 separate RSVP cards and an envelope to mail it back in.

Okay, just checked my mail and the invites were in there. :thumbup:

FYI: On the 2015 Class Facebook page, they were saying that binders would be going out closer to the end of March.

Does anyone know how many spots are left in the class? I was complete back in the end of January and I'm still waiting for an interview. I'm a Georgia resident, so I'm hoping that helps out.

does anyone know what the COMLEX and USMLE 1st time pass rates are for GA-PCOM? I'm having a hard time finding this info. thanks!

Hello-

I'm a third year DO student at GA-PCOM. I don't know what the exact numbers are, but I'm guessing that they are similar to any other DO school who does not prequalify students to take the boards. There were several in my class who failed either USMLE or COMLEX. There were also several who blew them out of the water (ie, 99th percentile).

You really shouldn't base any decisions whatsoever on board pass rates. Many schools do not allow students who are at high risk of failing to even attempt the exam until they've shown that they're ready.

Does anyone know how many seats are still open at PCOM-GA? The chances to get in now are pretty slim, right?

Does anyone know how many seats are still open at PCOM-GA? The chances to get in now are pretty slim, right?

Never say never! I can't speak for the amount of spots left in this cycle, but I do know that last year, five students in my class now had their interview together towards the end of March and they were accepted outright. Take into account that was for a smaller class size as well. Since the Class of 2015 will hold 135, there are even more spots available as a whole, so don't give up!

Good luck to the rest of you! :luck:

Congrats!!! How did you find out you got in?? Did you receive it by mail or called Trena?? I interviewed the same day...

The decision letter comes by mail because, you know, the post-interview wait isn't stressful enough ;)

I received my invitation cards to RSVP the welcome reception/financial aid workshop. I think it said it was open to family plus one as well. I'm thinking since I'm from Florida, it'd be silly to take my parents with me, but is anyone else seriously taking their family with them to it?

I received my invitation cards to RSVP the welcome reception/financial aid workshop. I think it said it was open to family plus one as well. I'm thinking since I'm from Florida, it'd be silly to take my parents with me, but is anyone else seriously taking their family with them to it?

FYI: The April 15th Reception/Financial Aid event is for students only.

The other invite card ,with several dates listed, is a separate Friends and Family reception where you can bring guest to come tour the school.

Does anyone know when the last interview date for PCOM-GA is?