Official 2020-2021 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You could put a one-liner if you wish but more important is to
Have all the details and know everything inside and out and keep it in your portfolio that you carry with you on your interviews, you will need it to discuss your research on interviews, since one of the questions you will get is "so tell me about your research"
Or tell me about so-and-so since you will be interviewing with experts in the topic of the research you have studied, so be prepared

1. No need to carry portfolio
2. *may* be interviewing with experts in the topic of the research you have studied

Members don't see this ad.

Given that abstracts submitted to ACG are published in their supplemental journal do you log both a publication and a poster presentation into ERAS? Thanks

I would not do that. It is not a publication. It is a poster publication. The fact that it is published in supplemental journal does not make it a publication, I guarantee there is no PD out there who thinks that.

I would not do that. It is not a publication. It is a poster publication. The fact that it is published in supplemental journal does not make it a publication, I guarantee there is no PD out there who thinks that.

The problem is that you may have authored abstracts but had a medical student (who was maybe 4th author on the abstract) make and present the poster. If you wrote the abstract AND made/presented the poster then this would be the way to show it.

Medical students presenting a poster at these conferences without doing the bulk of the actual research is common and putting both the publication (if you were first author) and the Poster presentation (if you also presented it) could be of worth, at least for the big conferences like ACG, DDW, AASLD.

It is up to the PD to determine how he likes this or not. Additionally, when an abstract is published, the publication usually includes "Supp 1" or "Abstract #". So it's not like they are trying to fool anyone with fake publications in these major journals.

A lot of applicants unfortunately do this which inflates the number of experiences. It isn't like the average resident is actually writing up 10 manuscripts over their 2 years in residency. They also include publications where they were like 8th author, which people also don't care about because it probably means they shook the right hand or just datemined in Epic for contribution.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is that you may have authored abstracts but had a medical student (who was maybe 4th author on the abstract) make and present the poster. If you wrote the abstract AND made/presented the poster then this would be the way to show it.

Medical students presenting a poster at these conferences without doing the bulk of the actual research is common and putting both the publication (if you were first author) and the Poster presentation (if you also presented it) could be of worth, at least for the big conferences like ACG, DDW, AASLD.

It is up to the PD to determine how he likes this or not. Additionally, when an abstract is published, the publication usually includes "Supp 1" or "Abstract #". So it's not like they are trying to fool anyone with fake publications in these major journals.

A lot of applicants unfortunately do this which inflates the number of experiences. It isn't like the average resident is actually writing up 10 manuscripts over their 2 years in residency. They also include publications where they were like 8th author, which people also don't care about because it probably means they shook the right hand or just datemined in Epic for contribution.

I agree, i dont think most people are trying to fake publications, but nobody cares if you presented the poster at the conference. i dont think you need to 'show' that. all that matters is how close to the front you are on the authorship list of the abstract. therefore, i see no advantage to putting both poster and publication, it only risks misinterpretation

When would states generally want us to apply for the state licensure? After Match I would assume? Do you know if the program directors are aware that this is being waived because of Covid or should we be contacting programs to ask specifically? (not that it would change much if we are literally just barred from taking the step 3 in time).
depends on the state - many states allow trainee licenses so would need to check w your programs.

Put active ongoing research under "research experiences"

I would include the program director letter

Reactions: 1 user

You can see the good stuff versus the not pretty easily. First author original work is going to stand out. And no there aren't many writing 10 manuscripts during residency. But including medical school, absolutely. And don't forget many took research years as well. Not sure how much each portion matters, but certainly if you have pubs from before residency it is not wrong to include them.

What's the thought on the advantage of submitting on July 1st (especially now that programs can't see our apps until August)? One of my letter writers hasn't uploaded yet after several reminders and I am worried that it may not get done by July 1st. I have other strong writers and could submit by July 1st, but was hoping for this letter. I just don't want to get penalized for not submitting when it opens.

There is a tick option if you are a chief resident in the eras application. If you are applying as a 4th-year chief at a different program do you check that box where you enter your IM residency program detail and leave your chief year prog out of it? or you add the chief year as a 2nd residency program experience and tick the box in that section?

What's the thought on the advantage of submitting on July 1st (especially now that programs can't see our apps until August)? One of my letter writers hasn't uploaded yet after several reminders and I am worried that it may not get done by July 1st. I have other strong writers and could submit by July 1st, but was hoping for this letter. I just don't want to get penalized for not submitting when it opens.

If PD can’t see till august how would you be penalized???

Wait for the stronger letter. Will be worth it.

Good evening, first time poster. Appreciate the advice on this forum.

Question- is there a way to list ongoing research on the application?

And also, do all programs require a PD letter? I have 5 letters, one of which I believe is stronger than my PD letter. I see some programs do not specify that they want a PD letter. Is it ok to not send them my PD letter?

Thank you

I would include PD for all programs. In general PD letters are not that strong because fellowships know they are writing a standard-ish letter for ALL their residents. It’s a filler, but a necessary one.

There is a tick option if you are a chief resident in the eras application. If you are applying as a 4th-year chief at a different program do you check that box where you enter your IM residency program detail and leave your chief year prog out of it? or you add the chief year as a 2nd residency program experience and tick the box in that section?

I don’t know the answer, but I would think the latter option. Even though it was a chief residency it was a separate institution and therefore needs to be mentioned separately. fellowship programs should understand

Once you are done w app you can preview it to make sure it looks the way you want it to.

Reactions: 1 users
Send your app in if it's otherwise complete on opening day, then just upload the letter prior to your interviews later on

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Send your app in if it's otherwise complete on opening day, then just upload the letter prior to your interviews later on
So do you think if one submit's their app. on july 1st vs. lets say someone submitting one on july 10th, would that make a difference to the PD reviewing the apps/interview invite chances?

I don’t know the answer, but I would think the latter option. Even though it was a chief residency it was a separate institution and therefore needs to be mentioned separately. fellowship programs should understand

Once you are done w app you can preview it to make sure it looks the way you want it to.

Where exactly is that "tick option" for chief resident in the eras application? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Do you just list it under the "Experience" section?

So do you think if one submit's their app. on july 1st vs. lets say someone submitting one on july 10th, would that make a difference to the PD reviewing the apps/interview invite chances?

My understanding is that anything submitted prior to Aug 12th is the same. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

- JT

Different programs will download applications on different days, The later you have your application submitted the more you risk not being in that initial batch of applications that will be reviewed, which is the pool that will receive the bulk of invitations

Can someone please confirm this?

It says on the AAMC website "Applications submitted on or before August 12 at 9 a.m. ET will display an application date of “August 12” to programs. Applications submitted after August 12 will be date-stamped in real-time. "

It says on the AAMC website "Applications submitted on or before August 12 at 9 a.m. ET will display an application date of “August 12” to programs. Applications submitted after August 12 will be date-stamped in real-time. "
Correct....that is 1st day when programs are able to download to review, when they in fact do is program dependant and specific...with it being pushed back nearly a month this year expect programs to be ready for it's release off the bat

I am not viewing eras so someone else could answer this one
There has been historically an empty box that can be clicked to mark an X, just like AOA status and so forth, for chief resident, and it allows programs to sort by "chief resident" if they were interested in doing so

Where exactly is that "tick option" for chief resident in the eras application? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Do you just list it under the "Experience" section?

In that section Where you enter your residency program info, as someone said above.

With the date being pushed back to August 12th, does that mean that all programs now have that date as their deadline? I see some program with the July 31st deadline and others with later dates listed, but I suppose those dates aren't reflective of the delayed date. Thanks

With the date being pushed back to August 12th, does that mean that all programs now have that date as their deadline? I see some program with the July 31st deadline and others with later dates listed, but I suppose those dates aren't reflective of the delayed date. Thanks

They probably haven’t updated their website

Given that abstracts submitted to ACG are published in their supplemental journal do you log both a publication and a poster presentation into ERAS? Thanks

The ERAS subheading for journal pubs is "peer-reviewed journal articles/abstracts" so I think it is definitely appropriate to log poster abstracts under the journal pubs section. You also want to show what conference you presented at, and this is done by logging the poster/oral abstracts in the posters or oral presentations section. So I think it is appropriate to log the abstracts as both publication and poster/oral pres, and I don't think programs will perceive this as misleading.

For programs that request 2 letters and a letter from the PD (3 total), will they be angry if we send 3 +PD (total of 4 letters)? For programs that don't specify, should we send all 4 if we have them? I don't want to get screened out for sending an extra letter if programs don't want it but would prefer to send all 4 if I'm just reading into this too much.

The ERAS subheading for journal pubs is "peer-reviewed journal articles/abstracts" so I think it is definitely appropriate to log poster abstracts under the journal pubs section. You also want to show what conference you presented at, and this is done by logging the poster/oral abstracts in the posters or oral presentations section. So I think it is appropriate to log the abstracts as both publication and poster/oral pres, and I don't think programs will perceive this as misleading.

I don’t get the point of listing an abstract twice except to intentionally inflate the number of pubs you have. if it’s a conference abstract that you presented, put it under oral or poster.

if your abstract then progressed to a full length manuscript in a journal, you should only then list it under peer reviewed manuscript presumably under a different name.

Good morning,

This might have been addressed previously, but does anyone know how programs download the applications they recieve? They say everything will be time stamped as august but do application submitted earlier get viewed earlier? Thanks

Good morning,

This might have been addressed previously, but does anyone know how programs download the applications they recieve? They say everything will be time stamped as august but do application submitted earlier get viewed earlier? Thanks
First day they can be viewed is August 12th, The applications are viewed in a program dashboard, so if the program gets 400 applications, it can see all of them or sort filters according to the different variables in your application

I am wondering if anyone else would be interested in a separate "interview impressions" thread, aimed to collect thoughts from people who have applied in recent cycles.

Given how little information is listed on many programs' websites and the fact that we won't be able to go interview in person, I (and I'm sure many other people) am worried I won't be able to get a great sense for the culture/focus/strengths of a program. Though obviously not perfect, I think hearing from past applicants would be valuable. If there's interest, I'm happy to start a separate thread!

I am wondering if anyone else would be interested in a separate "interview impressions" thread, aimed to collect thoughts from people who have applied in recent cycles.

Given how little information is listed on many programs' websites and the fact that we won't be able to go interview in person, I (and I'm sure many other people) am worried I won't be able to get a great sense for the culture/focus/strengths of a program. Though obviously not perfect, I think hearing from past applicants would be valuable. If there's interest, I'm happy to start a separate thread!

This is an existing (and stickied) thread.

Any idea when ACG results will be sent out?

I always have a tough time making my personal statement concise while trying to include everything I want on there. Does any one have any GI personal statement advice?

For programs that request 2 letters and a letter from the PD (3 total), will they be angry if we send 3 +PD (total of 4 letters)? For programs that don't specify, should we send all 4 if we have them? I don't want to get screened out for sending an extra letter if programs don't want it but would prefer to send all 4 if I'm just reading into this too much.

I emailed programs about this. they lost a month of time to review so they may not choose to read the 4th letter. Take that as you may.

How broadly should I apply? Stats below. Main red flag is my step 1/2 scores, step 3 much better. I know some programs use board scores to weed out applications before even reviewing them, how can I get around that? Email individual programs?

US citizen, MD at top 20 medical school
Step 1: 210s. Step 2: 220s Step 3: 240s
Residency: Top 20 Academic program
Letters: good letters, one from the chief of GI at my current program
Research: Four 1st author pubs in non-GI. one 1st author GI publication. several 1st author abstracts to DDW, Crohn's Colitis Foundation. Pending another abstract to ACG. Several projects submitted as well.

How broadly should I apply? Stats below. Main red flag is my step 1/2 scores, step 3 much better. I know some programs use board scores to weed out applications before even reviewing them, how can I get around that? Email individual programs?

Research: Four 1st author pubs in non-GI. one 1st author GI publication. several 1st author abstracts to DDW, Crohn's Colitis Foundation. Pending another abstract to ACG. Several projects submitted as well.

Cold emailing may not work well if you have no connection to the program. It will probably be better to have your mentors and faculty reach out to people they know at other programs and have them vouch for you so that they are aware of your name. That way when they screen out 400 apps with their step cutoffs they will at least give your app the “connections privilege” and put it aside to look at separately. Give your mentors your list of programs and have them work their way through each program to see who they know. It sucks but there are going to be people with step 1’s of 220 who will also be screened out who may not have found a way to get into a top 20 IM program, which is an advantage you have.

Your best bet will be the name of your IM program and the connections your mentors and GI faculty have with them vouching for you. Would your home GI program be a good option?

Hi guys
IMG/Community program residency, EAD, no visa need
Step 1 250s, Step2 250s, Step 3 230s
Graduating 2020, doing chief year
5 GI pub, 1 first author/ 3 GI submissions, all first author.
15 DDW/ACG poster abstracts, 4 first author. Sending 5 poster abstracts to ACG
1 IM PD, 3 GI LORs
Applying to 100 programs

Hopeful. Best of luck everyone

for an IMG, this is one of the strongest apps i have seen on this forum this year. congratulations. '3 GI submissions' implies they are not yet accepted? obviously, not ideal but still respectable.

agree chief from community program doesnt mean much, if anything, it is expected.

besides your low board scores, i think this is a decent application! however, reality check: step 3 is NOT 'much better'. it is simply a little better. MUCH better would have been 260s. not trying to be harsh, just want you to set your expectations straight.

besides your low board scores, i think this is a decent application! however, reality check: step 3 is NOT 'much better'. it is simply a little better. MUCH better would have been 260s. not trying to be harsh, just want you to set your expectations straight.

It's interesting though - of course people don't take step 3 as seriously, but a step 3 in the 240s is 80th+ percentile which is significantly better than the 20th-30th percentile step 1/2 scores of 210s/220s. That said, I doubt it's weighted highly enough to make a huge difference.

It's interesting though - of course people don't take step 3 as seriously, but a step 3 in the 240s is 80th+ percentile which is significantly better than the 20th-30th percentile step 1/2 scores of 210s/220s. That said, I doubt it's weighted highly enough to make a huge difference.

It probably doesn’t matter more than simply making it past whatever step 3 score cutoff they set (ie 220 or 230).

A friend of mine matched in an external program with an attempt on step 3. He had otherwise good CV. He is successfully practicing GI now. Anything is possible

I emailed programs about this. they lost a month of time to review so they may not choose to read the 4th letter. Take that as you may.
Decided to painstakingly go through programs and select 3 or 4 letters as they requested.

I always have a tough time making my personal statement concise while trying to include everything I want on there. Does any one have any GI personal statement advice?
Keep it on one ERAS page or less. As someone who read through med school admissions, short and to the point (but well written) is better. We all had "Aha" moments for why GI, you can mention this if it's important to you but don't dwell.

I agree with you. However 80 percentile isn’t really particularly impressive, especially when ones goal is to “make up” for a lower step 1 score. If one was in 80 percent tile all three tests, then great. But to make up for a weak score I would expect >90 percentile minimum.

Unfortunately the number 240s is also not dazzling.

what are your thoughts on an IMG graduate applying to the DO programs? I feel it's a waste of money or do we believe that they might consider us?

Hey guys quick question on the ERAS application side of things--
For ACG/DDW poster acceptances, they say that they will post our abstracts in Gastroenterology journal. I have found both of mine and have an issue and volume number. Do these fall under the category of "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts"? I'm not trying to mislabel anything, just curious.

Thanks!