Official 2021-2022 Gastroenterology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you will not be able to do an IBD fellowship without completing a general GI fellowship
not really. if place cant find fellowship trained ppl, they will take residents. not all programs though

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you SDN community for your support during the entire match season!! Saying that it was stressful is probably an understatement. I matched at my 1st choice and couldn’t be any more thrilled (and beyond relieved that I never have to do this again in my life..goodbye NRMP lol).

Anyway, I am here to check in and see if anyone has any info about pre-GI pancreatology or IBD fellowships? There are obviously several hepatology fellowships that are helpful for people looking to match into GI. However, my friend who is currently a PGY-3 resident only decided now that they want to do GI. Most hepatology fellowships have already chosen their fellows by now. And so I was hoping to get some info on non-hepatology fellowships that would potentially be helpful.

Any help/input/comments would be greatly appreciated.
Pancreatology fellowships are limited to places like UCSF, Mayo, BWH. One of our cards fellows SO's is a BWH and its a two year fellowship and very good if you want to do academic GI.

Members don't see this ad :)
not really. if place cant find fellowship trained ppl, they will take residents. not all programs though
That's right, they can take whoever they want.....IBD fellowships are non acgme certified so the departments and program directors can do with them and hire whoever they want.....during COVID, IBD fellows were redeployed like anyone else, and if the program had a GI fellowship trained 4th year, they were used as general GI attendings and on the wards especially no acgme requirements for what constitutes a universally accepted or recognized IBD curriculum

Reactions: 1 user
How long has it taken everyone to publish after submitting their manuscript, and which journal? I know it can be hugely varied, but just curious about everyone's experiences
Hofstadter's law will always apply

Was hoping to get some advice and choices for US GI fellowship:

Non-US (IMG top-tier IM residency)
USMLEs non-completed
MD-PhD training with research all in GI for past 15 years
Publications: 34 manuscripts, 27 all primary research (15 first author), 4 chapters in GI textbooks, some high impact manuscripts (national leaders in GI in my country)
Other: won 3 grants, one of which is American College of GI, helped design GI curriculum in home institution, section editor of a GI journal, launched a translational research program at home institution.

Looking for fellowship programs with research tracks.
How low is my chance as IMG and particularly no USMLEs (have CDN MCCQE), which schools to talk to??
Thanks

USMLEs non-completed
Publications: 34 manuscripts, 27 all primary research (15 first author), 4 chapters in GI textbooks, some high impact manuscripts (national leaders in GI in my country)
Other: won 3 grants, one of which is American College of GI, helped design GI curriculum in home institution, section editor of a GI journal, launched a translational research program at home institution.

How low is my chance as IMG and particularly no USMLEs (have CDN MCCQE), which schools to talk to??
Thanks
you need to finish usmles to get medical license. you are welcome to work as research trainee with no clinical responsibilties.

USMLEs non-completed

Thanks

are u a resident in a US residency program? Are you a candian med school grad ? or a med school grad from other place who used MCCQE to get x a US residency program ? If the former , you ll be fine. I know someone from canada who secured top tier US residency... If it is later than it is a very unusual situation...

That's right, they can take whoever they want.....IBD fellowships are non acgme certified so the departments and program directors can do with them and hire whoever they want.....during COVID, IBD fellows were redeployed like anyone else, and if the program had a GI fellowship trained 4th year, they were used as general GI attendings and on the wards especially no acgme requirements for what constitutes a universally accepted or recognized IBD curriculum
That's all theoretical. In reality, you are not going to find an IBD program listed on the CCFA website that will take a resident for IBD training without prior GI training. If they can't find a fellow, they won't fill the spot at all. Unlike general GI, programs don't *have* to fill their IBD fellowship spots. It's very much elective for both the program and applicant. No resident has the background to be useful in an IBD fellowship, so there is absolutely zero incentive for a program to take one. They also can't scope, which is the way many IBD fellowships fund the fellow's salary.

Last edited:
Programs don't have to fill their IBD fellowship spots like they do for general GI. What incentive would a program have to take a resident who can't scope independently (and therefore can't generate any funds for their own salary) and who doesn't understand even general GI? It's uniequivocally better for the program not to take anyone at all than to take a resident. Many people on this website are under the impression that every available training spot must be filled by some human, which isn't the case.

Last edited:
Programs don't have to fill their IBD fellowship spots like they do for general GI. What incentive would a program have to take a resident who can't scope independently (and therefore can't generate any funds for their own salary) and who doesn't understand even general GI? It's uniequivocally better for the program not to take anyone at all than to take a resident. Many people on this website are under the impression that every available training spot must be filled by some human, which isn't the case.
I have known residents who have done IBD fellowship and eventually matched GI. The attendings can scope but they need bodies for research and clinic. IBD clinics in tertiary centers run 20 patients a day. I will say its not common they accept residents but some have done it in the past

I have known residents who have done IBD fellowship and eventually matched GI. The attendings can scope but they need bodies for research and clinic. IBD clinics in tertiary centers run 20 patients a day. I will say its not common they accept residents but some have done it in the past
Maybe years ago this was a reasonable possibility. IBD is so complex with newer therapies and treatment algorithms that any resident without GI training will always be more of a burden than an asset to any program. And it certainly doesn't help a program's reputation to take a resident to fill an advanced fellowship slot. They may be a "body" to see patients, but the attending will just have to see every patient anyway (and come up with the therapeutic plan). They may be a "body" to do research, but what program will pay a PGY 4 salary just for that? We shouldn't be encouraging residents to consider this as a realistic backup option to general GI.

Maybe years ago this was a reasonable possibility. IBD is so complex with newer therapies and treatment algorithms that any resident without GI training will always be more of a burden than an asset to any program. And it certainly doesn't help a program's reputation to take a resident to fill an advanced fellowship slot. They may be a "body" to see patients, but the attending will just have to see every patient anyway (and come up with the therapeutic plan). They may be a "body" to do research, but what program will pay a PGY 4 salary just for that? We shouldn't be encouraging residents to consider this as a realistic backup option to general GI.
its not what you think is ideal, I am talking bout someone as recent as 2019 who went through this route and matched next cycle. this is in a big name prog in east coast. they have enough research funding to fund the pgy 4

its not what you think is ideal, I am talking bout someone as recent as 2019 who went through this route and matched next cycle. this is in a big name prog in east coast. they have enough research funding to fund the pgy 4
I am also aware of current faculty at my program who did an IBD fellowship Prior to starting GI fellowship training. It was paid and he now has very strong research ties.

I applied to a program with two tracks (research track and clinical track). I only applied to the clinical program, but recieved interview to the Research Track. Is this typical or could it have been a mistake?

I applied to a program with two tracks (research track and clinical track). I only applied to the clinical program, but recieved interview to the Research Track. Is this typical or could it have been a mistake?

I believe you posted this in last years thread. See the sticky for this years current application cycle.

It's that time of the year.
Everyone getting everything ready for submission. It is going to be a good year.
Lots of new programs to apply to (WV Marshall University is one of them).

For people applying this year, you can post your scores, publications, cred... and ask any questions.

I have posted my experience in the old thread. But if you have questions ask away. Always here to help, I wish everyone the best.

Hi, can I please get access? Thank you