Official 2021-2022 Gastroenterology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys anyone can help me rank these 3 , I asked earlier in the group but could not get a response. If someone has any input I would really appreciate it . TIA
Vanderbilt vs Baylor Houston vs UPMC

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone can help me rank these programs:
-Mayo clinic florida
-University of Iowa
-UT Houston
-UC Irvine
-Scripps clinic
-University of Nebraska
-Henry Ford
-UTMB
-Allegheny
-Geisinger
-UF Jacksonville
-UT Austin
-University of Louisville
-UMMS Baystate
-Aurora
-Carilion clinic/VTU
-East Carolina University/Vidant medical center
-University of Toledo
-St Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor

Hey guys anyone can help me rank these 3 , I asked earlier in the group but could not get a response. If someone has any input I would really appreciate it . TIA
Vanderbilt vs Baylor Houston vs UPMC
I would go like this: Vanderbilt > UPMC > Baylor Houston

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go like this: Vanderbilt > UPMC > Baylor Houston
Thank you again for responding: would you kindly share why Vanderbilt is your first choice? I know there are many factors that make the difference for different individuals.

This process of ranking should be based on your preference, not some else's input. Everyone sees something in a program that is unique to them and for their future.

RANK WHERE YOU WANT TO BE FIRST, SECOND....

This process of ranking should be based on your preference, not some else's input. Everyone sees something in a program that is unique to them and for their future.

With all due respect (and I agree people should rank based on their preferences), @ShiShiMD you have been giving your thoughts on programs and ranking on previous years' posts. It doesn't make sense you say this now... These guys just want some ideas/opinions on the ranking. At the end of the day, they will rank based on their preferences anyways.

Reactions: 1 user

I thought the whole purpose of this forum is to exchange opinions/ advices between colleges in different training levels and locations ! I am not sure what you are trying to say , but I know text sometimes can miss your intention. Ilhow I am going to make my decision is not really relevant here . I was trying to look for more information and hear from people who might have more experience than me ,specially that all these programs are great and the difference is marginal in some cases. I know everyone has their own biases, but some of the comments here were objective and helpful .

Has anyone ever reached out to programs to see if they can schedule in-person visits/tours? Or is this not recommended? Some programs I interviewed with are located where I have never been to, and I really think visiting these places might help me with ranking. I will visit the programs without telling them if it is not recommended, but just wanted to see how everyone thinks about this

With all due respect (and I agree people should rank based on their preferences), @ShiShiMD you have been giving your thoughts on programs and ranking on previous years' posts. It doesn't make sense you say this now... These guys just want some ideas/opinions on the ranking. At the end of the day, they will rank based on their preferences anyways.

I thought the whole purpose of this forum is to exchange opinions/ advices between colleges in different training levels and locations ! I am not sure what you are trying to say , but I know text sometimes can miss your intention. Ilhow I am going to make my decision is not really relevant here . I was trying to look for more information and hear from people who might have more experience than me ,specially that all these programs are great and the difference is marginal in some cases. I know everyone has their own biases, but some of the comments here were objective and helpful .
@heyoberhere @Ibncenna

Yes maybe last year I give you advice on what to rank where, who to rank first. But being in the process and being an attending for over two years now I can clearly state, this.

Each program has its own unique group, teaches its own style but they all follow the guidelines of ACG, ASGE, AGA, ANMS and AASLD.

So it does not matter if you went to Leighhigh Val, or Rutgers or even Harvard. It all matters where you see your self fit, because when it comes to ranking from the other side:

Programs look at you as either fit or not fit with the group. Program rank based on who they want first as they see them fit first.

So why not the applicants.

The question you guys are asking is not rank these programs based on who is better, you all asking help me rank, in fact you all went to each interview, you should come back and inform everyone else about the strength, weaknesses, and future of the programs.

No one can rank your ROL for you, and no one should except yourself.

You want to train in NE or NW region is your decision based on your future plans.

I see posts here saying help me rank these:

Let see the same post with each feedback on how was your interview, what your perceived and what is future goals after training and how each program will help you get there.

People private msg me, with all these and I give a straight answer, but if you just looking into insight and trying to somehow think you can rank one place over another, or who is ranking where is not going to get you matched anywhere.

RANK WHERE YOU THINK YOU ARE FIT and HOW THAT PROGRAM WILL HELP YOU REACH YOUR FUTURE PLANS

Anyone can help me rank these programs:
-Mayo clinic florida
-University of Iowa
-UT Houston
-UC Irvine
-Scripps clinic
-University of Nebraska
-Henry Ford
-UTMB
-Allegheny
-Geisinger
-UF Jacksonville
-UT Austin
-University of Louisville
-UMMS Baystate
-Aurora
-Carilion clinic/VTU
-East Carolina University/Vidant medical center
-University of Toledo
-St Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor
Aren’t you applying to pulm crit?

@heyoberhere @Ibncenna

Yes maybe last year I give you advice on what to rank where, who to rank first. But being in the process and being an attending for over two years now I can clearly state, this.

Each program has its own unique group, teaches its own style but they all follow the guidelines of ACG, ASGE, AGA, ANMS and AASLD.

So it does not matter if you went to Leighhigh Val, or Rutgers or even Harvard. It all matters where you see your self fit, because when it comes to ranking from the other side:

Programs look at you as either fit or not fit with the group. Program rank based on who they want first as they see them fit first.

So why not the applicants.

The question you guys are asking is not rank these programs based on who is better, you all asking help me rank, in fact you all went to each interview, you should come back and inform everyone else about the strength, weaknesses, and future of the programs.

No one can rank your ROL for you, and no one should except yourself.

You want to train in NE or NW region is your decision based on your future plans.

I see posts here saying help me rank these:

Let see the same post with each feedback on how was your interview, what your perceived and what is future goals after training and how each program will help you get there.

People private msg me, with all these and I give a straight answer, but if you just looking into insight and trying to somehow think you can rank one place over another, or who is ranking where is not going to get you matched anywhere.

RANK WHERE YOU THINK YOU ARE FIT and HOW THAT PROGRAM WILL HELP YOU REACH YOUR FUTURE PLANS

shishi has been a wonderful resource during this application process. I agree with everything she says especially since we the applicants should have a feel for a program From interviewing.

one only caveat that I have to add is from an applicant point of view, all the places I have interviewed at say they are incredible and very strong with few weaknessesl however, when I speak to attending who have been a round for some time, you start learning about programs that are struggling and notoriously work fellows very hard. they of course never advertise it during the interview process. so I think having a perspective from a more experienced person about a program more so than exact rankings is very helpful.

shishi has been a wonderful resource during this application process. I agree with everything she says especially since we the applicants should have a feel for a program From interviewing.

one only caveat that I have to add is from an applicant point of view, all the places I have interviewed at say they are incredible and very strong with few weaknessesl however, when I speak to attending who have been a round for some time, you start learning about programs that are struggling and notoriously work fellows very hard. they of course never advertise it during the interview process. so I think having a perspective from a more experienced person about a program more so than exact rankings is very helpful.
that I agree... unfortunately you need insider info to make correct decision as many big name places have big issues . some small places are hidden gems..no universal law with all combinations existing...

honestly it does not really matter... if you match x gi , in the end it;s all good. everyone gets a good job..in fact it's buyers market for jobs...every one makes same range of money .... all this splitting hair in ROL is ephemeral fun while it lasts...

I have sorted out all of my rank list except I’m having troubles ranking Einstein in Philadelphia and University of Toledo. Can anyone shed any light on these programs or have any advice?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to decide between 2 programs , that are both great, and hoping to hear some words of wisdom from our colleges who have the experience. I would really appreciate the help. How much of an impact the number of procedures during the fellowship should have on our decision ? What’s the minimum number that you think is sufficient to prepare us for career in general GI if we don’t pursue more advanced fellowships? , in my case the one program I believe has slightly better name overall but the other one, offers double the number with probably lower name. My struggle is not knowing what’s the threshold I need to have to be good at endoscopy. And I know all programs are good , and having the opportunity to match into GI is all what matters . But right now puting a rank is our home work. Hoping to make the right decision

I am trying to decide between 2 programs , that are both great, and hoping to hear some words of wisdom from our colleges who have the experience. I would really appreciate the help. How much of an impact the number of procedures during the fellowship should have on our decision ? What’s the minimum number that you think is sufficient to prepare us for career in general GI if we don’t pursue more advanced fellowships? , in my case the one program I believe has slightly better name overall but the other one, offers double the number with probably lower name. My struggle is not knowing what’s the threshold I need to have to be good at endoscopy. And I know all programs are good , and having the opportunity to match into GI is all what matters . But right now puting a rank is our home work. Hoping to make the right decision
minimum 400 egs, 500 colons. if you are getting less than this, you are underprepared for post fellowship practice. If you do have advanced interests, it is going to be easy to choose between the two programs from what you are saying

minimum 400 egs, 500 colons. if you are getting less than this, you are underprepared for post fellowship practice. If you do have advanced interests, it is going to be easy to choose between the two programs from what you are saying
Thank you so much for the reply. The one institute offers about 250-500 egds, 250-500 colo, the other one doubles that. Advance fellowship is not an option for me .I think I have my answer now . 🙏

Thank you so much for the reply. The one institute offers about 250-500 egds, 250-500 colo, the other one doubles that. Advance fellowship is not an option for me .I think I have my answer now . 🙏
also what matters is whether the attending lets you scope from start to finish by mid 2nd year. that is important in addition to number

also what matters is whether the attending lets you scope from start to finish by mid 2nd year. that is important in addition to number
Would think they would let you start doing this by mid way first year. It’s pretty difficult to squeeze this information out of the Q&A sessions anyway since I remember most places have a variety of attendings with different teaching styles. If a place is a small program, ie 1 hospital with 4-5 GI attendings then it may be easier to gauge how much the attendings let you finish the scope on your own.

Thats difficult to tease out from the IV. Thats why I was trying to judge by the Number of scopes. I also have another question , about 2 other great programs both are high on my list, and my IV were not very helpful to help me judge where I can better fit in. I am flexible geographically. UPMC vs BCM houston. Anyone in the group could have some ideas,? TIA

University of Louisville vs University of Kansas?

University of Louisville vs University of Kansas?
To get the most productive answer to this, I'd at least give a domain you are interested in - ie clinical/research/academic/location/etc. This is much too vague a question as is.

To get the most productive answer to this, I'd at least give a domain you are interested in - ie clinical/research/academic/location/etc. This is much too vague a question as is.
Academic, advanced opportunities, location

Academic, advanced opportunities, location
I interviewed at both this cycle. From my understanding, U Kansas is strong in advanced endoscopy and the PD is very well-known in the world of advanced endoscopy. Both are very clinical programs with high scope volumes, but still have research opportunities if you seek them. Therefore, I view them on similar level. U Kansas also uses only 1 EMR (Epic), while U Louisville uses 4+ EMRs which is likely a reflection of their numerous hospitals. Both cities seem like nice cities with good food scenes and things to do. I think Louisville is a bit more safe and lower COL but less diverse.

Feel free to add more info.

Last edited:
I interviewed at both this cycle. From my understanding, U Kansas is strong in advanced endoscopy and the PD is very well-known in the world of advanced endoscopy. Both are very clinical programs with high scope volumes, but still have research opportunities if you seek them. Therefore, I view them on similar level. U Kansas also uses only 1 EMR (Epic), while U Louisville uses 4+ EMRs which is likely a reflection of their numerous hospitals. Both cities seem like nice cities with good food scenes and things to do. I think Louisville is a bit more safe and lower COL but less diverse.

Feel free to add more info.
agree with advanced exposure, case load. KU has more academically known faculty, so for advanced it is more helpful. From what I hear from friends, most fellows live 20 mins from hospital in very safe burbs of KC. the area west of hospital is not a safe but no trainees live there

agree with advanced exposure, case load. KU has more academically known faculty, so for advanced it is more helpful. From what I hear from friends, most fellows live 20 mins from hospital in very safe burbs of KC. the area west of hospital is not a safe but no trainees live there
Thanks!

Interesting wrinkle going on with Texas Tech (to put it politely).

TT-Lubbock is a brand new program this year. They were slightly late to gain approval for the Match, but their program was available starting mid-September via ERAS. I interviewed- they had two days with about half PGY3s and half working hospitalists.

Recently in R3 I noticed their status was listed as "Withdrawn". I reached out to the program last week and heard nothing. Today I reached out again and expressed my concern and asked for an explanation. A two sentence response from the coordinator saying essentially "we have withdrawn from the match, you will not be able to rank us, PD will contact the fellows he has decided to offer spots to".

Can someone help me understand the possible motivation for this? Why enter the match, interview applicants, then withdraw? If they anticipate a program next year (sure sounds like it), would that mean they don't want anyone they interviewed? If they had internal applicants or hometown hospitalists they KNEW they wanted, why do the match at all? Doesn't a program have to pay $$$ to participate in match?

Anyone help me rank these:
Henry ford, Univ of Nebraska, UTMB, Allegheny
Thanks!

Interesting wrinkle going on with Texas Tech (to put it politely).

TT-Lubbock is a brand new program this year. They were slightly late to gain approval for the Match, but their program was available starting mid-September via ERAS. I interviewed- they had two days with about half PGY3s and half working hospitalists.

Recently in R3 I noticed their status was listed as "Withdrawn". I reached out to the program last week and heard nothing. Today I reached out again and expressed my concern and asked for an explanation. A two sentence response from the coordinator saying essentially "we have withdrawn from the match, you will not be able to rank us, PD will contact the fellows he has decided to offer spots to".

Can someone help me understand the possible motivation for this? Why enter the match, interview applicants, then withdraw? If they anticipate a program next year (sure sounds like it), would that mean they don't want anyone they interviewed? If they had internal applicants or hometown hospitalists they KNEW they wanted, why do the match at all? Doesn't a program have to pay $$$ to participate in match?
Yes they probably filled pre-match. Their worries are done regardless. There will be desperate people who will kill for the spots next year so they probably don’t care how you feel about them withdrawing from the match.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I would be very appreciative if someone would give me feedback on how to rank these programs:
1- UT Austin
2- UoLouisville
3- Baylor Scott & White
4- NewYork Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist/Cornell
5- Wayne State U

Yes they probably filled pre-match. Their worries are done regardless. There will be desperate people who will kill for the spots next year so they probably don’t care how you feel about them withdrawing from the match.
Um... I am not under the illusion that they are worried about what I think. As I said above, my question is to try to understand their motivations for entering the match then withdrawing. If they prefilled as you suggest, why spend the money and go through the interview process just to withdraw a week prior to the rank list certification?

Um... I am not under the illusion that they are worried about what I think. As I said above, my question is to try to understand their motivations for entering the match then withdrawing. If they prefilled as you suggest, why spend the money and go through the interview process just to withdraw a week prior to the rank list certification?
Probably because they had money to spend. Waited for their internal candidate to say “yes” and then withdrew from the match.

Good luck everyone with your rankings

Reactions: 3 users
I would be very appreciative if someone would give me feedback on how to rank these programs:
1- UT Austin
2- UoLouisville
3- Baylor Scott & White
5- Wayne State U
What did you end up deciding?

1- UT Austin
2- UoLouisville
3- Baylor Scott & White
5- Wayne State U

if by baylor scott and white you mean baylor dallas (program where dr. fordtran is emeritus etc) than that should be number 1 followed by louiseville... others are same... wayne state should be last agreed...

Indiana Univ vs UPMC?
location... Indiana is definitely stronger overall..pitt has a more prestigious reputation for historic reasons and the city has lot more stuff to do...can't go wrong with either..

if by baylor scott and white you mean baylor dallas (program where dr. fordtran is emeritus etc) than that should be number 1 followed by louiseville... others are same... wayne state should be last agreed...
I'm guessing by BSW the program is the Texas A&M affiliate in Temple, TX rather than BUMC dallas.

Seems you have some issues with tufts. Do tell. I would have only put a few “>”.
it's essentially a private practice run program in guise of university... but yeah it's still better to get there than not do GI.. so i ll shave off a few ">"

Hi guys, for those who applied with prior attempts (especially Step 2 CS) but otherwise strong app (research, AMG etc). Did you feel like this impacted you this season based on number of invites?

Hi guys, for those who applied with prior attempts (especially Step 2 CS) but otherwise strong app (research, AMG etc). Did you feel like this impacted you this season based on number of invites?
I had replied this in the previous years thread. A friend of mine had step 3 attempt and got much lesser IVs than someone with their publications and creds. Still matched in GI though

I had replied this in the previous years thread. A friend of mine had step 3 attempt and got much lesser IVs than someone with their publications and creds. Still matched in GI though
Definitely I feel was a major reason I didn't get some interviews with my CV. Only person that asked about failing CS was a fellow interviewing. It's really a silly question at this point, good riddance to an arbitrary and redundant exam

Definitely I feel was a major reason I didn't get some interviews with my CV. Only person that asked about failing CS was a fellow interviewing. It's really a silly question at this point, good riddance to an arbitrary and redundant exam
It did definitely affect my interview number for sure

So anxious about tomorrow. Less than 24 hours to go. Do programs find out at the same time?

Reactions: 1 users