Official 2020-2021 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any insider insight to these programs?

The Brooklyn Hospital Center
Virginia Tech: Carillion
MetroHealth Case Western
UMass Baystate
Augusta University
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Arkansas

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I would really appreciate any input on these programs.

- West Virginia University
- University of Texas medical school- Houston
-West Chester medical college
- SUNY Upstate

Suny Downstate vs NYP methodist Brooklyn
I see many say both are same, but downstate is an academic center I think downstate is better for research and for academic career, Am I right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have input on these NY programs?

NYU
Stony Brook
Hofstra/LIJ
Montefiore
Sloan Kettering

Looking for a strong clinical program, thank you!
i cant say i know anything specifically but as i have said before, generally the less prestigious, the better clinical training. that's a GENERAL statement. exceptions apply

Can anyone shed light on U of Minnesota or U of Rochester's programs and how to rank them in comparison with each other?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Similar to dancer150 I have a question regarding u of rochester vs u of Connecticut.

Can anyone shed light on U of Minnesota or U of Rochester's programs and how to rank them in comparison with each other?

I really liked U of Minnesota, clinically very strong and several strong training sites. Felt like the faculty were very personable and cared about their fellows. Seemed clinically strong but also has good research too/good academic training. Minneapolis is also a pretty great city. I can't speak to Rochester since I didn't interview there, but I have been to the city since I have friends there and it's nice but feels sort of lacking compared to Minneapolis.

I really liked U of Minnesota, clinically very strong and several strong training sites. Felt like the faculty were very personable and cared about their fellows. Seemed clinically strong but also has good research too/good academic training. Minneapolis is also a pretty great city. I can't speak to Rochester since I didn't interview there, but I have been to the city since I have friends there and it's nice but feels sort of lacking compared to Minneapolis.
Similar experience with Minnesota- I have not interviewed at Rochester/Connecticut so no comments.

Rank lists are due November....15th? 18th? I don't know why I can't find this on NRMP's website. And for fellowship match it's not like residency where you find out if you matched a few days before you find out where you're going?

Reactions: 1 users
*~POSTING FOR A FRIEND WITHOUT AN APPROVED ACCOUNT~*

Interested in thoughts on west/mountain west programs? I'm looking to stay in academics as a clinican educator with a hint of clinical research, so I want to be well trained clinically without being pushed to churn out research or work towards a K. Ultimately I see myself at a mid tier academic program or an academic-affiliated community program.

Washington
Oregon
Stanford
Kaiser
USC
UCLA
Cedars Sinai
UC Irvine
Utah
Colorado
Arizona

My thoughts:
  • I've heard rumors that stanford grads are not competent clinicians, but they strongly told me otherwise on interview day (basically you can tailor how clinical your training is based on interests, and many fellows are interested in doing other things).
  • I can't get a great sense for how hard it is to stay at one Kaiser's main "academic" locations vs going to a community practice, otherwise this might be a good fit.
  • UCLA possibly to academic, but would probably get my foot in the door anywhere for jobs.
  • My sense is UCI probably has the most rigorous clinical training, scope number wise + options for ERCP #s but I'm less excited about orange county than other big cities on the west coast.

Sorry to be that guy but buuuuump. No one else wondering about west coast programs?

Hi. I am interested in strong clinical experience and academics. Any thoughts on how to rank these programs?

U of Iowa
U of Louisville
KUMC

thanks!

Sorry to be that guy but buuuuump. No one else wondering about west coast programs?

a lot of this list will come down to location.

Washington - amazing program, but lots of gray skies.
Oregon - Portland is cool, very white hippie feeling. Program also amazing.
Stanford - felt a bit snobby imho
Kaiser - sets you up to work as community GI doc for kaiser.
USC - county hospital which seems to come with county issues and benefits. Feels less academic.
UCLA - no idea, but assume this is great.
Cedars Sinai - “UCLA wannabes” but don’t do as many scopes at all unfortunately.
UC Irvine - clinical program known locally, less so nationally.
Utah - solid from what I hear but didn’t intervirw here.
Colorado - powerhouse of the inter mountain that allows for academic jobs anywhere
Arizona - desserts. I know people putting community programs in CA above this purely for location.

USC - county hospital which seems to come with county issues and benefits. Feels less academic.
Cedars Sinai - “UCLA wannabes” but don’t do as many scopes at all unfortunately.
Colorado - powerhouse of the inter mountain that allows for academic jobs anywhere
Arizona - desserts. I know people putting community programs in CA above this purely for location.
Thanks for your input! And what about UCSD on this list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Indiana, USC, Temple, Louisville, Miami, Nebraska, Boston, UCLA, Rush, Emory

Having a hard time making my top 10 list. Anyone care to shed some info on these programs, which one has best all around education and what strengths each program has? Looking for academicians career

People don’t like desserts? Sounds like a winner to me.

Emory - Went unfilled last year, which feels like a red flag to me. Not sure if anyone else can speak to why they went unfilled? In general I've heard great things about training at Emory/Grady. Atlanta is an affordable place to live with plenty to do.

Temple - Great for motility. If this is an interest I'd rank it high. Probably the strongest Philly program aside from Penn. Philly is also an affordable and fun place to live, though Temple is not in the best part of town.

UCLA - Famous for it's Q2 call schedule during first year. It has a great name in the GI world though so killing yourself 1st year is probably worthwhile if you want to be a future division chief. Strong in most areas but weak in IBD (lost a bunch of faculty to Cedars-Sinai).

USC - I heard the 3rd year fellows used to be called in to help first years with overnight scope, and attendings were a bit hands off. From all accounts this has now changed and attendings are more accessible. Trying to build their name in research, but currently a much more clinically oriented program.

Miami - anecdotally have heard great things, but I don't have any more specific info.
Rush - anecdotally have heard not so great things
Indiana, Louisville, Nebraska - have heard no things

Reactions: 2 users
I know post-IV communication is questionable, but I have received none. What have others' experiences been with this?

I know post-IV communication is questionable, but I have received none. What have others' experiences been with this?
None for me, unless they responded to a thank you email, even than that only happened about 20% for me

I have definitely heard programs reaching out to applicants in various ways (ranked to match crap again, cards, emails considering them highly). It doesn’t sound any different than before.

I have definitely heard programs reaching out to applicants in various ways (ranked to match crap again, cards, emails considering them highly). It doesn’t sound any different than before.
you have heard already for this year?

We don't send any, and it would meaningless if we did....so we don't

Can ranked to match emails be believed? I know better than to believe the "ranking highly" ones.

Most programs meet the same day or within a couple days of their interviews to make their rank. Any communication at this time is pretty pointless.

I know it’s somewhat been answered above, but need more affirmation.

Any take on Stanford, UCLA, USC, Cedars, UCSF, Loma Linda, UCI, UC Davis, and CPMC.

I love the location at any of the programs except Irvine and Davis/Sacramento

I know it’s somewhat been answered above, but need more affirmation.

Any take on Stanford, UCLA, USC, Cedars, UCSF, Loma Linda, UCI, UC Davis, and CPMC.

I love the location at any of the programs except Irvine and Davis/Sacramento

what are you looking for? Your programs you listed have a huge range from academic research powerhouse to simply community.

what are you looking for? Your programs you listed have a huge range from academic research powerhouse to simply community.

im looking more for academic.
Having a hard time parsing between UCLA, UCSF, and Stanford

im looking more for academic.
Having a hard time parsing between UCLA, UCSF, and Stanford
Is there a subtopic or niche you're interested in? If not, UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, or could pull out of hat ....really

Does anyone know if Stanford has sent out any invites for their non-acgme hepatology fellowship? Thanks

This thread is ridiculous. People are listing 5-10 programs around the country as if they would like to equally go live at any of those geographic locations. Everyone has some geographic preference. Your rank list starts there, then make MINOR adjustments up and down based on program characteristics. But it starts with location preference.

Having a hard time making my top 10 list. Anyone care to shed some info on these programs, which one has best all around education and what strengths each program has? Looking for academicians career

its all about life style and what you want in the end. They all super good programs,

Any input on these programs? Hoping for more feedback from others who know the reputations and training these programs offer.

University of Illinois at Chicago
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Nebraska
University of Iowa

Any input on these programs? Hoping for more feedback from others who know the reputations and training these programs offer.

University of Illinois at Chicago
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Nebraska
University of Iowa

All of them excellent programs, is all about where you want to live, family, friends, cities, and airports. But they all great

Emory - Went unfilled last year, which feels like a red flag to me. Not sure if anyone else can speak to why they went unfilled? In general I've heard great things about training at Emory/Grady. Atlanta is an affordable place to live with plenty to do.

Temple - Great for motility. If this is an interest I'd rank it high. Probably the strongest Philly program aside from Penn. Philly is also an affordable and fun place to live, though Temple is not in the best part of town.

UCLA - Famous for it's Q2 call schedule during first year. It has a great name in the GI world though so killing yourself 1st year is probably worthwhile if you want to be a future division chief. Strong in most areas but weak in IBD (lost a bunch of faculty to Cedars-Sinai).

USC - I heard the 3rd year fellows used to be called in to help first years with overnight scope, and attendings were a bit hands off. From all accounts this has now changed and attendings are more accessible. Trying to build their name in research, but currently a much more clinically oriented program.

Miami - anecdotally have heard great things, but I don't have any more specific info.
Rush - anecdotally have heard not so great things
Indiana, Louisville, Nebraska - have heard no things

Indiana = Dr. Rex, strong therapeutic endoscopist and learning
Nebraska will get you the ERCP EUS certification if you put in the extra work.
Louisville - I heard they having staffing issues

Goal is to practice in southeast or southwest in PP or community GI. Not sure how to order the following NY programs:

Hofstra
NYP Queens
SUNY Downstate
Lenox Hill
Rutgers NJMS

if there are any red flags these programs have then would be appreciative to hear them.

Any insight on Loma Linda program? My feeling was that it is a busy (3 different hospital sites) but strong program.

Goal is to practice in southeast or southwest in PP or community GI. Not sure how to order the following NY programs:

Hofstra
NYP Queens
SUNY Downstate
Lenox Hill
Rutgers NJMS

if there are any red flags these programs have then would be appreciative to hear them.

NJMS has the best Admin and Support for Therapeutic or Transplant and they have motility and IBD too.

all others should be ranked below Rugers NJMS.

Any insight on Loma Linda program? My feeling was that it is a busy (3 different hospital sites) but strong program.

Loma Linda only has DocFuji and is 4 sites, they don't mention the extra clinic medical center for their clinical trials.