Mississippi College Masters of Medical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
do i have any chance of getting into the program with a 144 verbal and 151 quant w/ a gpa of 3.1?

Will a random answer from random people, who are not in the same situation as you, deter your application? It has been echoed multiple times throughout the thread that you should e-mail/call Dr. Baldwin if you are worried about your chances.

So for those currently in the program: does MC offer medical school advising? I know it doesn't have a pre-health committee. Also, how soon do you have to decide on whether or not you want to try and work towards Mississippi residency? That would be a very difficult decision for me :/

Members don't see this ad :)
So for those currently in the program: does MC offer medical school advising? I know it doesn't have a pre-health committee. Also, how soon do you have to decide on whether or not you want to try and work towards Mississippi residency? That would be a very difficult decision for me :/

Get to the south and see if you like this place first haha.

Dr. Baldwin is as close as it gets to a pre-health committee; from what I can tell, there is no committee letter.

It takes at least 1 year to change residency but I have heard they require some kind of affirmation you won't ditch as soon as medical school is over. I don't have much information in this area either but it seems most of the high linkage schools are in the south for this program. I do know many people who have gotten interviews in the west and east coast however.

lol I live in a rural location in the panhandle of florida with family in the southern portion of mississippi...I don't think it can get much "southern" :p. For me it's more of losing my residency of florida for residency of mississippi...

lol I live in a rural location in the panhandle of florida with family in the southern portion of mississippi...I don't think it can get much "southern" :p. For me it's more of losing my residency of florida for residency of mississippi...

Oh true, I hear Florida residency is amazing for medical school. I honestly wouldn't. Possibly call the school's individually and ask about the MC program and what they think about it and how it will impact your application?

Oh true, I hear Florida residency is amazing for medical school. I honestly wouldn't. Possibly call the school's individually and ask about the MC program and what they think about it and how it will impact your application?
Good advice. However I am willing to bet that just like me ( also a Florida res) he will find that most medical schools will say just send us your grades and it couldn't hurt your chances. Not much will be said in the way of encouragement. It will ether be neural or negative. UF isn't a fan of the program and USF is indifferent. At least that is what they told me.

Good advice. However I am willing to bet that just like me ( also a Florida res) he will find that most medical schools will say just send us your grades and it couldn't hurt your chances. Not much will be said in the way of encouragement. It will ether be neural or negative. UF isn't a fan of the program and USF is indifferent. At least that is what they told me.

For the record, I am a "she"! And I've talked to FSU and they approve of the program as a suitable means for improving my academic record.

Alright, so I need some major advice. I've read through this thread and am applying to D.O. schools this year. If I don't get in, I plan to pursue a post-bacc program to boost my GPA (stats are under my mdapplicants profile).

I'm a SC resident, and I don't care my residency as much as I care about getting into medical school. It seems, after reading this thread, that most people take a gap year. I don't want to take a gap year. I was wondering if anyone goes straight in? I'm assuming not since the applications want to see your grades, and maybe one semester is not enough? If I move after the program, will I continue my residency in SC?

Can anyone shed some light on these issues? Thanks!

Yes your residency is safe. You have to take action to change your residency. You don't automatically lose your SC residency if you move somewhere for school or for a temporary job. The option is available if you choose to switch after 12 months. Note that you cannot hold two residencies though, so you have to choose.

For the record, I am a "she"! And I've talked to FSU and they approve of the program as a suitable means for improving my academic record.
Sorry about that. Did mean to offend it is just on this forum most peeps are dudes. I can count on one hand how many are not. Now I need to use both hands.:laugh:

^hahaha no offense taken...just clarifying my gender! :D

Alright, so I need some major advice. I've read through this thread and am applying to D.O. schools this year. If I don't get in, I plan to pursue a post-bacc program to boost my GPA (stats are under my mdapplicants profile).

I'm a SC resident, and I don't care my residency as much as I care about getting into medical school. It seems, after reading this thread, that most people take a gap year. I don't want to take a gap year. I was wondering if anyone goes straight in? I'm assuming not since the applications want to see your grades, and maybe one semester is not enough? If I move after the program, will I continue my residency in SC?

Can anyone shed some light on these issues? Thanks!

It is not possible to get into UMC directly after finish the program if you are out of state. This is because AMCAS will not even allow you to select UMC unless to declare Mississippi as your home state. Often schools only need one semester of grades to know if they want you it is just this program has little weight outside of the Mississippi state line. If you don't want a gap year and you are interested in DO I recommend AOA approved programs. ( KCUMB, PCOM and Midwestern are great) Just about every DO school has one and it is very rare that they don't accept straight out of those programs. However if you really want a good shot at MD school and you have a good MCAT I would recommend U Tol, EVMS, Georgetown, Drexel, U Cinni or USF. All of these programs have strong SMPs that get people in without a gap year. MC is more for people that want to go to med school in Mississippi, want to get started on a masters in Spring or are so late in applying to SMPs that this is there only hope. I was the later.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not possible to get into UMC directly after finish the program if you are out of state. This is because AMCAS will not even allow you to select UMC unless to declare Mississippi as your home state. Often schools only need one semester of grades to know if they want you it is just this program has little weight outside of the Mississippi state line. If you don't want a gap year and you are interested in DO I recommend AOA approved programs. ( KCUMB, PCOM and Midwestern are great) Just about every DO school has one and it is very rare that they don't accept straight out of those programs. However if you really want a good shot at MD school and you have a good MCAT I would recommend U Tol, EVMS, Georgetown, Drexel, U Cinni or USF. All of these programs have strong SMPs that get people in without a gap year. MC is more for people that want to go to med school in Mississippi, want to get started on a masters in Spring or are so late in applying to SMPs that this is there only hope. I was the later.
So, is it possible to get accepted pending first semester results? Have you ever heard anything happening like that? I really don't want to take a gap year.

I think it would depend upon the school. What I plan to do is to start the program this spring. I'm currently on FSU's waitlist, so maybe they will see my first semester grades and provide an acceptance. If they do not, I will apply EDP in June to FSU, submit my first semester grades, study and retake the MCAT over the summer and report that before August. By that point, before I even go to an interview, they will have an improved MCAT score and grades. Considering that the only reason I didn't get in was because I was a couple of points shy on the MCAT and GPA, I feel that this will grant me an acceptance in October. This is optimistic, but it will make sure I don't have a gap year, but I will have a small break from January to May to get moved and situated. :) Maybe you can adapt this to your plans.

I think it would depend upon the school. What I plan to do is to start the program this spring. I'm currently on FSU's waitlist, so maybe they will see my first semester grades and provide an acceptance. If they do not, I will apply EDP in June to FSU, submit my first semester grades, study and retake the MCAT over the summer and report that before August. By that point, before I even go to an interview, they will have an improved MCAT score and grades. Considering that the only reason I didn't get in was because I was a couple of points shy on the MCAT and GPA, I feel that this will grant me an acceptance in October. This is optimistic, but it will make sure I don't have a gap year, but I will have a small break from January to May to get moved and situated. :) Maybe you can adapt this to your plans.
That's a good plan! So, you are starting spring semester instead of fall?

That's the plan! I have gotten confirmation on my acceptance yet, but I feel that it will be getting in very soon. And I want to start as soon as possible which meant I would start in the Spring. It just ended up working out better than I though--plan-wise!

That's the plan! I have gotten confirmation on my acceptance yet, but I feel that it will be getting in very soon. And I want to start as soon as possible which meant I would start in the Spring. It just ended up working out better than I though--plan-wise!
This timing is so tricky. I'm waiting to hear back from D.O. schools and hoping I won't have to go post-bacc route, but if I don't get in, I will, so I have to wait til the fall...

To umc if you are out of state no it is not possible. To other school yeah... Happens quite a bit however it is not the majority. I am hoping to get in a school otherwise i will be filling my gap year with another smp. To be honest there isnt really a good comparison. When people finish this program in one year ( tons of work fyi) they commonly are instaters and head right over to umc of the four ( just me personally) that i have heard of that were not instaters three went to LSU and one to FSU. Also from what i hear only the fsuer had bad UG grades (3.2 I believe) and i am not sure how well this said person did in the program. The other just had bad mcat scores which they fixed they really are not a good comparison. That is all I know of perhaps somebody else may know of a few more but it is uncommon that people finish in one year but there are plenty that do.

Do NOT wait on med schools!!!! Have your backup plan in place! I waited on med schools last year and it set me back an entire year, so I had about a 2 year gap. I was on FSU's waitlist from October to May (2 days before orientation) last year. Have the SMPs ready in case you have to do them...that way, you won't have gap years or wasted time. I learned this the very hard way and I wish someone would have told me this.

To umc if you are out of state no it is not possible. To other school yeah... Happens quite a bit however it is not the majority. I am hoping to get in a school otherwise i will be filling my gap year with another smp. To be honest there isnt really a good comparison. When people finish this program in one year ( tons of work fyi) they commonly are instaters and head right over to umc of the four ( just me personally) that i have heard of that were not instaters three went to LSU and one to FSU. Also from what i hear only the fsuer had bad UG grades (3.2 I believe) and i am not sure how well this said person did in the program. The other just had bad mcat scores which they fixed they really are not a good comparison. That is all I know of perhaps somebody else may know of a few more but it is uncommon that people finish in one year but there are plenty that do.
So you're not planning on finishing in a year?

I will probably finish it in a year and a half because I plan on taking the summer mostly off to study for the MCAT...So I'll do Spring, Fall, and a light load in the next Spring.

Do NOT wait on med schools!!!! Have your backup plan in place! I waited on med schools last year and it set me back an entire year, so I had about a 2 year gap. I was on FSU's waitlist from October to May (2 days before orientation) last year. Have the SMPs ready in case you have to do them...that way, you won't have gap years or wasted time. I learned this the very hard way and I wish someone would have told me this.
Thanks, this is really helpful. I think this is an important point that a lot of people don't address. I feel like most of the conversation is about which programs are best to get you into certain schools, but I think timing is everything in applications. I am 25 and do not want to take a gap year as I have been working for 3 years after school and finding another job in the in-between year is just not ideal. I'm ready to go to school or at least be doing something that will get me close. If I would have known, I would have done a post-bacc program much earlier. I just didn't want to take on additional debt if I could wait and get into school straight away. There's a lot to consider in the timing of this whole situation.

That was my exact situation. Worked for two years after school, on my second application season. It's just exhausting. I want to enter just the schooling portion. So hopefully my plan will work for you too. But this is a long process (getting into med school) so don't give up hope! Did you look at the SMPs that are close to SC?

That was my exact situation. Worked for two years after school, on my second application season. It's just exhausting. I want to enter just the schooling portion. So hopefully my plan will work for you too. But this is a long process (getting into med school) so don't give up hope! Did you look at the SMPs that are close to SC?
I feel the same way. I'm done with working towards something that I'm not interested in pursuing long-term (I work in clinical research now). I don't think there's any close to SC. My family is moving to FL, so I've looked into USF and Mississippi is close. I applied last year to Georgetown and was rejected outright. I'm also interested in Touro-NY's Masters program.

Did you check out the post-bacc list on AAMC's website? https://www.aamc.org/students/
But yeah, I have a career in pharmaceutical chemistry right now, but I HATE it! It's not what I want to do with my life. It's a means to an end. So maybe I will see you in the Spring!

Did you check out the post-bacc list on AAMC's website? https://www.aamc.org/students/
But yeah, I have a career in pharmaceutical chemistry right now, but I HATE it! It's not what I want to do with my life. It's a means to an end. So maybe I will see you in the Spring!
So, in thinking about timelines.... if I wanted to apply for the spring, should I do it now?? Is it too late? When does it start? It doesn't say much on their website. Sorry if this is duplicate information! If I hear about an acceptance, what do I do if I have started the program (i.e., if I got waitlisted and then got in).

Thank you so much for your help! This is really helpful for me :)

So you're not planning on finishing in a year?

Plan on it yes. Finish or not i am leaving in summer. Mississippi just isnt for me. Most people try to finish in a year but if a five hour beats them it slows this down. It is possible to complete this program in one year.

You're not too late, fill out the graduate application on MC's website (https://mc.edu.185r.net/application/login/) and select MS Medical Science as the grad program, and they will email you the supplementary materials you need to complete. Send your MCAT score and transcripts to them (they'll give you instructions). I have no idea how it works if you get accepted to med school while in the program, I'll cross that bridge if it happens. It starts January 14th and the deadline is in December (I think).

You're not too late, fill out the graduate application on MC's website (https://mc.edu.185r.net/application/login/) and select MS Medical Science as the grad program, and they will email you the supplementary materials you need to complete. Send your MCAT score and transcripts to them (they'll give you instructions). I have no idea how it works if you get accepted to med school while in the program, I'll cross that bridge if it happens. It starts January 14th and the deadline is in December (I think).
The good thing about this program is that they have a spring and a fall enrollment...

So, in thinking about timelines.... if I wanted to apply for the spring, should I do it now?? Is it too late? When does it start? It doesn't say much on their website. Sorry if this is duplicate information! If I hear about an acceptance, what do I do if I have started the program (i.e., if I got waitlisted and then got in).

Thank you so much for your help! This is really helpful for me :)

If you want to go to MC now you need to apply now. Different medical schools have different policies most will not allow you to matriculate until all previous commitments are fulfilled. So if you think you maybe getting into med school off the waitlist you may not want to start a program until fall. It is pretty rare for a med school to allow matriculation without completion of a masters program once you start it check with the school to understand the policy before beginning a masters program

^yeah, probably true...But I think my chances of getting off of my second waitlist are slim so I'm not counting on it :/

If you want to go to MC now you need to apply now. Different medical schools have different policies most will not allow you to matriculate until all previous commitments are fulfilled. So if you think you maybe getting into med school off the waitlist you may not want to start a program until fall. It is pretty rare for a med school to allow matriculation without completion of a masters program once you start it check with the school to understand the policy before beginning a masters program
True. The situation definitely becomes difficult..

I would go ahead and apply. That way, when you do make your decision, you won't be behind on applying or missing any deadlines. Keep that back-up active!

Sooooo I'm thinking about taking Gross Anatomy, Endophysiology, and Embryo in the Spring. I'm okay with it being a challenging course load but is this combo doable? I'll have the same teacher for Gross and Embryo (Beth Dunigan).

Sooooo I'm thinking about taking Gross Anatomy, Endophysiology, and Embryo in the Spring. I'm okay with it being a challenging course load but is this combo doable? I'll have the same teacher for Gross and Embryo (Beth Dunigan).

That's a pretty rough load. Gross anatomy went through a dramatic change and will include a wet lab this coming spring semester. They require 12 hours of lab time per week, that's REQUIRED, and you will probably put in additional time to study. It is technically an 8 credit course but they can't change credit values mid-semester so it is being valued as 5. I do believe gross and embryo will help mirror each other.

Also are you mentioning Endophysiology as in Endo/Gi Physiology? Because the difficulty of it is essentially a 5 hour credit class also. I highly recommend dumping endo/gi if you want to take gross.

It is good being ambitious but if have never taken medical school classes before, take your first semester easy. Take one 5 credit course and fill the rest with 2/3 credit hours. Full time student status is 8 credits, recommended load is 10-12 credits. You have spring, semester, AND summer semesters to finish the program.

8 credits is a full load?! wow that's low...well out of Cell Phys, Virology, Biology of Cancer, and Immunology, which would be the best for aiding in MCAT prep? (I'll be taking the MCAT again at the end of the summer)

8 credits is a full load?! wow that's low...well out of Cell Phys, Virology, Biology of Cancer, and Immunology, which would be the best for aiding in MCAT prep? (I'll be taking the MCAT again at the end of the summer)

gross =5, endo/gi =4, embryo=3; that's total of 12 credits; but it will feel like 16 credits since gross will be teaching at an 8 credit capacity and endo/gi feels like a 5 credit course. Also 15 credits is max per semester... lol

8 credits is FULL TIME student status. Most people take 10-12 credits their first semester.

All of those are pertinent topics to MCAT, so I would pick the one you are the most weakest in. From what I have seen, MCAT seems to emphasize genetics/immunology more now than before.. not sure if it is my paranoia but that seems to be the direction.

Fun level wise, I hear immunology is the best out of those. Medmicro is a good choice also.

Alrighty, I think I'll go with immuno! I was kind of neutral towards all of those. Thanks for the suggestions!

I don't think you will be able to take Gross in the spring. Baldwin is requiring pre registration like by Nov 5th for that classes. Also the 12 hour lab commitment will cause time conflicts. How about Med phys, Endo Gi phys, and embryo? That is about the same amount of work and shouldn't have the time conflicts.

Well the gross, embryo, and immuno didn't have time conflicts according to the Spring schedule on MC's website. But if I might not be able to get into gross, I could do those instead. I was really looking forward to taking gross in the spring!

Well the gross, embryo, and immuno didn't have time conflicts according to the Spring schedule on MC's website. But if I might not be able to get into gross, I could do those instead. I was really looking forward to taking gross in the spring!

Honestly, you're better off not taking it this spring. It will be the first time they have it, thus various kinks need to be worked out. Also, you don't get the 8 credits worth of work on your transcript, only 5.

Did you take endo/gi this semester worldchanger? I'm hearing various mixed signals from people about that class.

Honestly, you're better off not taking it this spring. It will be the first time they have it, thus various kinks need to be worked out. Also, you don't get the 8 credits worth of work on your transcript, only 5.

Did you take endo/gi this semester worldchanger? I'm hearing various mixed signals from people about that class.
No I dropped it and switch it out on the first day of class for cell phys and Grad seminar after I realized that I would have to study 12 hours per day to keep up. Damn glad I did too. My course load is still heavy Histo, Med phys, cell phys and grad sem. After Baldwin advanced that test in Med phys test he doomed just about everybody in endo GI to failure. Damn test average was a 62 and there is no curve. There were people in there with As that now are looking at Cs. I took a pretty good hit too but I will be all right but the endo GI guys and gals it is game over. I feel so bad for them. I really don't think people understand how difficult these courses can be.

No I dropped it and switch it out on the first day of class for cell phys and Grad seminar after I realized that I would have to study 12 hours per day to keep up. Damn glad I did too. My course load is still heavy Histo, Med phys, cell phys and grad sem. After Baldwin advanced that test in Med phys test he doomed just about everybody in endo GI to failure. Damn test average was a 62 and there is no curve. There were people in there with As that now are looking at Cs. I took a pretty good hit too but I will be all right but the endo GI guys and gals it is game over. I feel so bad for them. I really don't think people understand how difficult these courses can be.

Yep... definitely heard people were crying after that test. Literally.

Yep... definitely heard people were crying after that test. Literally.

Mostly because after the whole class bombed it they were past the withdraw deadline. I wonder if Brandon will actually fail them or if she is going to make it a five test semester. I mean geez that is alot of Ds....

So what would be the best way to get a head-start before entering these classes? What can I do now to prepare?

So what would be the best way to get a head-start before entering these classes? What can I do now to prepare?

Which 5 hour are you taking? honestly the only thing you can do to prepare is rest and maybe get the graduate paper out of the way. Make sure you have all your personal affairs in order obviously lol.

Not sure, either Gross or Med Phys. I was wondering what kind of content review I could do before hand that might help.