Mississippi College Masters of Medical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. What exactly do you mean by very little research? Also, I'm not sure if you're familiar with them, but would say that the programs at Western University and LECOM would also be better choices? Thanks again for your help.

There is just no research to do here, so if you are lacking that this is not a good place to find it. I am aware of those other two programs and I would say both are well under what MC can do for you. If you can't get into a direct link program ( an SMP with a medical school) MC is the way to go. Both Western and LECOM are DO schools so if you want to get into an MD school I would not recommend it.

Members don't see this ad.

worldchanger36, i'm applying to this program for the winter - do you have any idea what an average gpa/standardized score is like to get in here? i know there are minimums which i am above but i'm still curious...

worldchanger36, i'm applying to this program for the winter - do you have any idea what an average gpa/standardized score is like to get in here? i know there are minimums which i am above but i'm still curious...

We have GPAs from all over the place. Mine is a 3.4, my roommates is a 3.7, and two of my classmates are under 3.0. This program is here for the purpose of beefing up an application to get it into medical school so there are people that are here with gpa well in the low 2s and some people with gpa in the high 3s. So I believe the average to be around 3.0 however most people here have an MCAT score of at least a 29 and this is NOT a program you want to be in if you have to retake your MCAT. If you don't already have at least a 29 MCAT stay away, the classes will take up 98 percent of your time. It is wise to get into this program in the summer and get a bit of a head start that way you can be complete by maymester. This school really drives home the NBME Shelf exams but to be honest there has not been a single MD school that I have apply to that finds this in the least bit interesting. That being said however I believe this is because they are assuming that it will be graded and scored like their NBMEs. I believe that once these school see that our scores are reported as full and complete as we request I think they will find it a bit more compelling. That and a full grade sheet of high As... We shall see. If you ( and anybody else) wants to follow what this program can really do for a person just follow my MDapps.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have GPAs from all over the place. Mine is a 3.4, my roommates is a 3.7, and two of my classmates are under 3.0. This program is here for the purpose of beefing up an application to get it into medical school so there are people that are here with gpa well in the low 2s and some people with gpa in the high 3s. So I believe the average to be around 3.0 however most people here have an MCAT score of at least a 29 and this is NOT a program you want to be in if you have to retake your MCAT. If you don't already have at least a 29 MCAT stay away, the classes will take up 98 percent of your time. It is wise to get into this program in the summer and get a bit of a head start that way you can be complete by maymester. This school really drives home the NBME Shelf exams but to be honest there has not been a single MD school that I have apply to that finds this in the least bit interesting. That being said however I believe this is because they are assuming that it will be graded and scored like their NBMEs. I believe that once these school see that our scores are reported as full and complete as we request I think they will find it a bit more compelling. That and a full grade sheet of high As... We shall see. If you ( and anybody else) wants to follow what this program can really do for a person just follow my MDapps.

I think some detail that is being left out is that the classes will take up literally all of your time if you try to complete in 1 year. From the people that I have been talking to, they actually end up taking more than a year for many people because they usually end up having to do a glide year for medical school applications. If you need to beef up your MCAT, it is definitely feasible if you lower your load. There is actually a MCAT study group that is following the SDN MCAT preparation while doing classes here. I've also heard people not taking summer classes and doing their MCAT during the summer while finishing up the degree in the fall during the application cycle. I think that is one key aspect of this program, which is flexibility.

I've also heard amazing things about this school's reputation in the gulf coast, which encompasses a lot of MD/DO schools.

CON: The hurricane season... lol "hello isaac"

I think some detail that is being left out is that the classes will take up literally all of your time if you try to complete in 1 year. From the people that I have been talking to, they actually end up taking more than a year for many people because they usually end up having to do a glide year for medical school applications. If you need to beef up your MCAT, it is definitely feasible if you lower your load. There is actually a MCAT study group that is following the SDN MCAT preparation while doing classes here. I've also heard people not taking summer classes and doing their MCAT during the summer while finishing up the degree in the fall during the application cycle. I think that is one key aspect of this program, which is flexibility.

I've also heard amazing things about this school's reputation in the gulf coast, which encompasses a lot of MD/DO schools.

CON: The hurricane season... lol "hello isaac"

Most SMPs will take up all of your time if completed within a year, however most other SMPs don't give you the chance to finish if you can't handle the load, MC does so yes that can be a huge benefit. I believe most peeps on this forum are interested in something that can be done within the gap year so trying to rock and MCAT and do well in this program will not work unless you have the time to take two years to complete this program.That is what I am saying.

Benefits of this program are best, as was stated earlier, if your home state is a gulf state. However there are better programs out there and my advice to anyone thinking about going to MC is to first try U Cinni, EVMS, U Tol or Temple if you can before locking yourself in here. Also keep in mind there are programs that are far worse then MC also. So if you are a gulf coaster and you did not get into any other SMPs listed above, MC is a great option if you are not a Gulf coaster you may want to keep looking unless you want to try an lock in Mississippi residency, and apply to med school after MC.
Also a CON of the area: The accent is super thick. SUPER thick.

Thanks, I actually have only taken the GRE but am in the process of studying for the MCAT. If I end up going to MC, I'd just take it in January there. I have a solid 4 months of studying in the meantime so it shouldn't interfere... :-/

Apparently, they start processing apps for the spring semester this Monday so I'm anxiously waiting. :)

Thanks, I actually have only taken the GRE but am in the process of studying for the MCAT. If I end up going to MC, I'd just take it in January there. I have a solid 4 months of studying in the meantime so it shouldn't interfere... :-/

Apparently, they start processing apps for the spring semester this Monday so I'm anxiously waiting. :)

I am just going to give you a warning right now about living situations. If you come here in the Spring very few places will be left ( if any) for you to rent so make sure you have reliable transportation because you will most likely have to live in Jackson. Just be prepared for that. Besides if you have a car Clinton is the last place you will want to live, Jackson is a bit more lively.

Best of luck to you and don't take the MCAT lightly, it is a titan.

Haha thank you for the advice! I'm not getting myself too excited before I hear back, but I did a bit of searching and I think I'd want to live in Jackson anyway lol. :)

I just filled out the application for Spring of 2013 and will be able to send in my MCAT scores and transcripts on this coming Monday...will I have applied too late in the process or should I try more for Fall of 2013? Also, what is their acceptance rate? For instance, I have a 3.5 GPA with a 25Q MCAT. Will that be competitive enough?

I just filled out the application for Spring of 2013 and will be able to send in my MCAT scores and transcripts on this coming Monday...will I have applied too late in the process or should I try more for Fall of 2013? Also, what is their acceptance rate? For instance, I have a 3.5 GPA with a 25Q MCAT. Will that be competitive enough?

MC will most likely have room for you and your stats are fine to get here but why MC?

MC will most likely have room for you and your stats are fine to get here but why MC?

Well, first off...it's a Southern Baptist college, which I didn't even know they had programs like this! I'm an avid baptist, so this aspect intrigues me. Furthermore, you are able to take board exams to prove to medical schools that you can handle the coursework. I've been waitlisted twice now at FSU and I really want something to prove to them that I have the academic prowess needed for medical school. Plus I have a ton of family in Mississippi that would provide a home away from home. I just sent in all of my materials today, so I'm pretty excited!

Well, first off...it's a Southern Baptist college, which I didn't even know they had programs like this! I'm an avid baptist, so this aspect intrigues me. Furthermore, you are able to take board exams to prove to medical schools that you can handle the coursework. I've been waitlisted twice now at FSU and I really want something to prove to them that I have the academic prowess needed for medical school. Plus I have a ton of family in Mississippi that would provide a home away from home. I just sent in all of my materials today, so I'm pretty excited!

In that case MC is perfect for you but don't expect NBME to save you because medical schools are not impressed by them. Use the NBME exam to get great LORs from Dr. B and the others. You really only need one to do this.Then get that MCAT off the floor, you can do that this summer after your first semester and there are a ton of people that can help you with that around MC and on SDN. While MC is a Baptist college you really will not have time for any of that. To be honest it feels like any other school. If you get in which you should and you do well and can hold a 3.7 GPA here and fix that MCAT score, I doubt FSU will waitlist you again. Keep in mind it is also easy to get residency status in MS. So if you want to go to UMMC in Jackson like so many grads of this program do you can.
Best of luck to you.

I am at MC now, actually studying my butt off for our first histology exam on monday.

Any advice on the MCAT then? I've taken it three times plus I've taken the ExamKrackers class...I'm not sure what else I can do to make it better...

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice on the MCAT then? I've taken it three times plus I've taken the ExamKrackers class...I'm not sure what else I can do to make it better...

Yes. Go to the MCAT forum on SDN, Copy SN2ed's MCAT study schedule. Block out your whole summer to study for at least 3 months for this test. Follow SN2ed advice verbatim. If you are out of AAMC practice tests use berkeley reviews, almost as good. I also recommend Chad videos to help lock things in. The best way to do well on that test is plan for it. I am not kidding, block out three months in the summer where for 6 to 7 hours per day all you do is MCAT. No working, no school, nothing but MCAT in that blocked out time. Don't make up excuses just do it. At this point it is the only way.

After you do that figure out what your weakness is if it is verbal, there is no better practice then the princeton review verbal workbook. None. If you can do well on it the MCAT verbal will be easy. If it is any other section SN2ed's MCAT schedule has you covered.

If you have already burned through SN2ed's stuff, the Princeton review class is your next best bet, after that is Kaplan's class.

I'm still trying to decide if I should attend MC in the Spring, wait to see if I get into GU/Drexel/EVMS/VCU, or attend a DO SMP at Western or LECOM. I have a 29 MCAT so I'm not sure if I really have a shot at M.D. The program at MC looks really interesting though, making my decision tougher.

If we can't get MS residency, does the MC SMP program have strong reputation/linkage with any other MD/DO schools in the area?

I'm trying to decide if I want to enter MC this spring, or wait and apply to Tulane/EVMS/UCinci

I'll be in MC's program that summer hopefully, would it be just as effective if I used SN2ed's timeline but expanded it to 6 mos instead of 3 mos?

How do they enforce the whole no alcohol thing? (Just curious, I noticed that on the application).

According to Debbie DePriest, they began processing applications for the spring last Monday so I doubt you're too late :)

Oh wow! Perfect timing! :D Thanks for letting me know! :D Did you apply for the spring as well?

Oh wow! Perfect timing! :D Thanks for letting me know! :D Did you apply for the spring as well?

Yes, I'm a little nervous because I didn't take the MCAT (studying now for Jan). Only GRE, but crossing my fingers because I've had to deal with a lot since graduating in May and would be amazing news. :) Good luck to you!

If we can't get MS residency, does the MC SMP program have strong reputation/linkage with any other MD/DO schools in the area?

I'm trying to decide if I want to enter MC this spring, or wait and apply to Tulane/EVMS/UCinci

MC does indeed have a very strong reputation in the gulf coast medical schools. I've also heard rumors that UMMC has a petition to accept non-residency applicants, however, I am not sure if it is going to pass or not. LSU just recently opened their in-state only rule, which has high linkage from this program if you check the MC alumni page.

To the person with the MCAT problem, it probably has to do with your ability to study more than the material itself. I can pretty much guarantee a boost to your score if you do well in MC since it MAKES you learn to study. People who have graduated and entered medical school after this program have been known to do extremely well in medical school from the previous exposure to the material plus knowing how to study medical student style.

I am currently taking histology/cell phys and it actually has quite of bit of MCAT bs/ps overlap

I'll be in MC's program that summer hopefully, would it be just as effective if I used SN2ed's timeline but expanded it to 6 mos instead of 3 mos?

6 months is too long IMO. You will start forgetting material and will most likely cause you to start slacking because you see how much time you have left. I've seen many people study for the MCAT and it always goes like this:

1st month - balanced and motivated
2nd month - looking desperately for more motivation but hanging on
3rd month - burned out and most likely take a break
4th month - panicking and either push the test back or face the beast anyways

For the people who can study fully for 3-4 months without being burned out, I put my hat off to you and say you truly deserve to be in medical school.

SDN hit the perfect number with the 4 month program in my opinion. If you can indefinitely stick to that schedule, with no distractions, you will most likely succeed.

Any applicants for Spring 2013 heard anything from MC? I applied about two weeks ago, and still nothing. Dr.Baldwin said it usually takes two weeks for them to process the application.

Haven't heard anything yet, but from everything that I've read and after talking to Mark in admissions, it seems if you meet the requirements of the program and have a Bachelor's Degree, you get an acceptance letter. Those in the program, correct me if I'm wrong...but it seems like it's just too easy...

MC does indeed have a very strong reputation in the gulf coast medical schools. I've also heard rumors that UMMC has a petition to accept non-residency applicants, however, I am not sure if it is going to pass or not. LSU just recently opened their in-state only rule, which has high linkage from this program if you check the MC alumni page.

To the person with the MCAT problem, it probably has to do with your ability to study more than the material itself. I can pretty much guarantee a boost to your score if you do well in MC since it MAKES you learn to study. People who have graduated and entered medical school after this program have been known to do extremely well in medical school from the previous exposure to the material plus knowing how to study medical student style.

I am currently taking histology/cell phys and it actually has quite of bit of MCAT bs/ps overlap

Hey goodluck in the program. I was wondering if you've heard of students from past years who were from states not in the South benefiting from the program. I'm in Cali and I understand UMMC wouldn't accept me but perhaps LSU might. Are there many students from states like mine getting accepted to South medical schools or only a limited number doing so?

Hey goodluck in the program. I was wondering if you've heard of students from past years who were from states not in the South benefiting from the program. I'm in Cali and I understand UMMC wouldn't accept me but perhaps LSU might. Are there many students from states like mine getting accepted to South medical schools or only a limited number doing so?

Here is the list of recent graduates that get accepted to professional schools:

http://www.mc.edu/academics/departments/biology/graduates/

Most of my friends are currently in their application cycle and a few of them have gotten interviews already from the west/east coast. Majority actually doesn't seem like they are from the south gulf cost, so my bet is that many do indeed get accepted to southern schools. I recommend you do your own research to get a better idea to talking to adcoms from schools nearby. Just ask about the MC Biomedical sciences program and if they have heard of it.

There is another post by Dr. Midlife about her perspective of the program and it might give you some more light on the subject.

Here is the list of recent graduates that get accepted to professional schools:

http://www.mc.edu/academics/departments/biology/graduates/

Most of my friends are currently in their application cycle and a few of them have gotten interviews already from the west/east coast. Majority actually doesn't seem like they are from the south gulf cost, so my bet is that many do indeed get accepted to southern schools. I recommend you do your own research to get a better idea to talking to adcoms from schools nearby. Just ask about the MC Biomedical sciences program and if they have heard of it.

There is another post by Dr. Midlife about her perspective of the program and it might give you some more light on the subject.

I saw that list. But it doesn't give any info on where those students are from

It seems that most of these students end up either in Louisiana or Mississippi after the program. I don't see the correlation being acclaimed of linkages to schools in the South. Two states alone are not the South.

It seems that most of these students end up either in Louisiana or Mississippi after the program. I don't see the correlation being acclaimed of linkages to schools in the South. Two states alone are not the South.

I said reputation, meaning they know of the program. Main linkages are like you said, it is Louisiana and Mississippi schools.

Does anybody know whether if the linkage is within the same after you finish or the following year?

Nearly everyone I talk to take a glide year.

Yay, Just found out that I have been accepted for this upcoming Spring semester.

Everything was in two weeks ago. I actually contacted Stan yesterday, and he told me to call Debbie. So I called this morning and she told me that she will be sending out the acceptance letter today and email.

Everything was in two weeks ago. I actually contacted Stan yesterday, and he told me to call Debbie. So I called this morning and she told me that she will be sending out the acceptance letter today and email.

Awesome! I know they are still waiting on my transcripts...do you know of anyone who has been rejected even though they meet the admission requirements?

Awesome! I know they are still waiting on my transcripts...do you know of anyone who has been rejected even though they meet the admission requirements?

The hard part isn't getting in. The hard part ( I should say the RIDICULOUSLY hard part) is doing well. (ie. 3.7+). The classes are medical school level classes without the same resources med students get, so be prepared to be thrown into the deep end. Sink or swim. Good luck!

What do you mean "without the same resources"??

What do you mean "without the same resources"??

Many med schools video record lectures, have a "team" of learning experts that sit down with you and help you draw out a better study strategy if you fail a test, all notes are made into hand outs, stuff like that. Some of my friends that are in their second year tell me they never go to class and are doing just fine. It is in a medical school's best interest for you to succeed, thus the hard part is getting in, they pretty much make sure you graduate. Attrition rate is basically nil.

Here, it's completely up to you wether or not you succeed, no one will baby you. No podcast lectures, and only the 5 hour classes have lecture notes, which you still need to fill in anyway. You need to be at every class and then work your butt off afterwards. I'm not saying that you won't need to do that in medical school necessarily, but you also don't need to be top of your class with all A's/honors in medical school. At MC you do, if you want to get into med school.

EDIT: also, those resources I'm refering to are per second year med students and an Adcom member.

Oh if that's all hahaha! I think I kinda need to be kicked in the butt before getting into medical school. One of the specialties that I'm considering is one of the most competitive, so I do need those A's in med school. I'm hoping MC will accept me. I exceed all of their minimums and, from all that I've heard, it's exactly what I need to prepare for med school and look more eligible.

Oh if that's all hahaha! I think I kinda need to be kicked in the butt before getting into medical school. One of the specialties that I'm considering is one of the most competitive, so I do need those A's in med school. I'm hoping MC will accept me. I exceed all of their minimums and, from all that I've heard, it's exactly what I need to prepare for med school and look more eligible.

I was just pointing out that med school is tough even having those things available to help you

I was just pointing out that med school is tough even having those things available to help you

What have you found that helps you achieve the 3.7+ GPA? Any advice would be welcomed!

What have you found that helps you achieve the 3.7+ GPA? Any advice would be welcomed!

Best advice? Listen to the tutors/senior members that have taken the course before. They don't "literally" drown you, it's actually quite a friendly environment but the sheer volume of material does make it feel like you are under water. There really isn't anything that you can do beforehand that will help besides possibly getting the 2500 word essay that is required since most people have a tough time fitting in between the lecture/lab.

Rest while you can and enjoy life. Sharpen your mind and clear all possible things that can potentially hinder you from succeeding in this program. Oh, and finish the MCAT before, if you haven't already done so. Although some people do it after, but that slows your application.

Will they email you to let you know when they have received all of your materials (grade sheet, transcripts, MCAT score)?

Will they email you to let you know when they have received all of your materials (grade sheet, transcripts, MCAT score)?

They never emailed me. When I submitted all my stuff I just emailed Debbie and Stan to double check if they have received everything. When everything was in they said it should take about 2 weeks for the decision.

So how long did it take for the transcripts to get to MC? It's been 10 days...