Mississippi College Masters of Medical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks for the responses everyone. Another quick question though. With that low of a GPA is it even worth the time and money to attend the program? Medical schools still will see the undergraduate gpa being far too low and a year of a graduate program may not be able to change that. Anyone know of numbers that low (3.2 cGPA 2.8sGPA 28R MCAT or even around those numbers) that have been successful in obtaining a seat in a medical school after a year of graduate work?

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for the responses everyone. Another quick question though. With that low of a GPA is it even worth the time and money to attend the program? Medical schools still will see the undergraduate gpa being far too low and a year of a graduate program may not be able to change that. Anyone know of numbers that low (3.2 cGPA 2.8sGPA 28R MCAT or even around those numbers) that have been successful in obtaining a seat in a medical school after a year of graduate work?

Take a look at this link... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=686716

Later in the thread, you'll see he did really well in the Mississippi College Medical Sciences program. Hope this helps :)

The answer to your question is yes, it is worth it to attend. SMPs get people in all the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Did you get your news by snail mail?

Moving in January to begin program in Spring 2013 and looking for 1 or 2 roommates (students in the program) to share a nice 3bed/2bath(1.7 miles from MC campus) home with me for $725/mth which includes utilities, adt home security, internet, cable, phone, renters insurance and lawn care. PM if interested.

Last edited:
Congratulation on being accepted. Good luck with everything. On your previous point on SMP's helping many people I had a quick point to make. I talked to Dr. Stan Baldwin and he told me that if serious about allopathic schools, along with doing well in this program, the MCAT needs to be above a 30 now to have a good chance.

Congratulation on being accepted. Good luck with everything. On your previous point on SMP's helping many people I had a quick point to make. I talked to Dr. Stan Baldwin and he told me that if serious about allopathic schools, along with doing well in this program, the MCAT needs to be above a 30 now to have a good chance.

Well I think I have that so if I work my butt off I will have a good shot at my target schools.

Sent in deposit money should get there on Monday....

Does anybody know the deal with these shelf exams?

They are optional. You sign up in the middle of the semester and you take it/them after finals. If you do WELL (key word) in the class for which you plan to take the shelf, you will do well on it. Its $35 for each one. If you take two, you take one in the morning and one in the afternoon. If anybody has any questions about this program just let me know. It was a great experience and money well spent!

Members don't see this ad :)
They are optional. You sign up in the middle of the semester and you take it/them after finals. If you do WELL (key word) in the class for which you plan to take the shelf, you will do well on it. Its $35 for each one. If you take two, you take one in the morning and one in the afternoon. If anybody has any questions about this program just let me know. It was a great experience and money well spent!

So what classes have a shelf associated with them?

All of the 5 credit hr courses.

All of the 5 credit hr courses.

Yea and if you do better than the 50th percentile they report your scores. If not, no worries, no one will know. We are compared to medical students taking the exams but our scores are not counted in the overall statistical analysis (mean, SD, etc.) so it is a true representation as to how we stack up against real med students.

I am looking for apartment/ roommates as close to the school as possible. PM me if you have a room available or you are apartment hunting yourself and you need a roommate.

You really should add yourself to the 2012-2013 facebk group as most housing discussions take place there

Oh no, the only person that can add you in is Dr. Baldwin. Just facebook message him and he will let you in. ;) you are gonna find a wealth of info within the forum...so read through all the posts

Actually, i think their is a function in the group that allows me to add my friends...you have to be facebk friends with me 1st. If you like, you can pm me ur facebk email address and i will be befriend and add u to the group...

Actually, i think their is a function in the group that allows me to add my friends...you have to be facebk friends with me 1st. If you like, you can pm me ur facebk email address and i will be befriend and add u to the group...

Its ok Dr B let me in

I was recently accepted to this program. I am writing to see if people had suggestions on what classes/combination of classes I should register for as far as my schedule goes? I start this fall. I'm not looking to completely kill myself as far as scheduling so many 'difficult' classes the same semester. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I was recently accepted to this program. I am writing to see if people had suggestions on what classes/combination of classes I should register for as far as my schedule goes? I start this fall. I'm not looking to completely kill myself as far as scheduling so many 'difficult' classes the same semester. Thanks in advance for any advice.

First thing is first this is grad school so everything is going to be one notch higher. That being said the 5 hr course are the most time consuming and difficult. Anything that is a 2 hr class is much lighter and 4 hr classes are in the middle. Of the five hour classes, Physio is said to be the most difficult class and histology to be the easiest. Neuro and gross are in the middle. It is recommended if you are not ready to dive straight into the danger zone you only take one 5 hr class your first round. However, if your goal is to get medical schools to notice you, the greater the risk the greater the pay off IF YOU WIN.( Key part, you need to ace these classes) It is unwise to pair two strong memorization classes together like physio and gross but histo and physio pair well together, if it is your plan to take the physio and histo shelf your first semester.

Best of luck and see you in the fall.

First thing is first this is grad school so everything is going to be one notch higher. That being said the 5 hr course are the most time consuming and difficult. Anything that is a 2 hr class is much lighter and 4 hr classes are in the middle. Of the five hour classes, Physio is said to be the most difficult class and histology to be the easiest. Neuro and gross are in the middle. It is recommended if you are not ready to dive straight into the danger zone you only take one 5 hr class your first round. However, if your goal is to get medical schools to notice you, the greater the risk the greater the pay off IF YOU WIN.( Key part, you need to ace these classes) It is unwise to pair two strong memorization classes together like physio and gross but histo and physio pair well together, if it is your plan to take the physio and histo shelf your first semester.

Best of luck and see you in the fall.

This isn't quite correct. Wait until you get into the program before you comment on the difficulty of the classes. Physio isn't half the memorization of histo, and one of the hardest classes in the program (endo/g.i. phys) is only a four hour class (maybe they've made it a 5 hr now?) Gross=Med phys=endo> histo=neuro.

The other classes are about of equal difficultly except for biochem.
Also, you're right about it looking better to adcoms to get it done sooner (1 yr) than later (>1yr).

This isn't quite correct. Wait until you get into the program before you comment on the difficulty of the classes. Physio isn't half the memorization of histo, and one of the hardest classes in the program (endo/g.i. phys) is only a four hour class (maybe they've made it a 5 hr now?) Gross=Med phys=endo> histo=neuro.

So what is the order of most difficult to least difficult of the 5 hour classes to those who have actually taken these classes in this program? Thanks.

One other thing, I've read that some classes pair up really well will others. What pair of classes do you recommend? Thanks again.

So what is the order of most difficult to least difficult of the 5 hour classes to those who have actually taken these classes in this program? Thanks.

One other thing, I've read that some classes pair up really well will others. What pair of classes do you recommend? Thanks again.

Most difficult to least in my opinion is what i posted earlier: Gross, Med Phys and Endo are all about equally as hard as one another. Endo may be a tad less difficult. Gross just has so much info to memorize and Dr. Baldwin's tests in Med Phys will make you want to shoot yourself mid-test. Endo is hard because Dr. Brandon goes through the material so fast in lecture that you don't know what to write down: do yourself a favor and get a recorder!

Histo and Neuro are about the same as far as difficulty. Histo is boring and its a pain to figure out minute stuff under the microscope. Neuro is cool but Dr. Baldwin teaches it and while he is a GREAT teacher/lecturer the tests are, once-again, suicide-inducing.

I took embryo as well. easy class, especially if you take Gross before you take it. I'd recommend that, made the terminology way easier to understand.

I took a hard schedule so my opinion about what pairs up best probably wouldn't suit you but i'd say:

Med Phys + Gross = doable because phys is like math, analytical stuff; while gross is like trying to remember the phone book, complete brute memorization.

Endo + Histo + Embryo = Again histo is more memorization while endo is physiology/problem solving. Also, the last few sections/chapters of histo and endo are the same (G.I. physiology and hematology) so its like getting double exposure in lecture! that will help out a lot. Embryo is just easy after doing Gross :)

There really is no magic combo, don't believe people saying you can't do two 5 hours your first semester. Bring your damn A game and you'll be fine. You need to do it to get done in a year.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone looking for a roommate still? Thanks in advance.

Just wanted to clarify. I don't have a place. I'm looking for both a roommate and a place. Thanks!

Last edited:
I was just accepted for Fall. Any suggestions for housing that's walking distance? I don't have access to the Facebook page yet so any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Most of the grad students stay at the reserve (Of woodchase ) apts.

Hi, I'm also looking for a roomie at this time, I'm a female from CA. Do you want to check out the apt sometime in the future together?

Hi, me too! Lets hunt the apt together soon? I'll book the ticket once I confirm the date! I'm coming from CA.

Oh no, the only person that can add you in is Dr. Baldwin. Just facebook message him and he will let you in. ;) you are gonna find a wealth of info within the forum...so read through all the posts

Hi, How can I find Dr. Baldwin? May I have his facebook link? I just recently accepted to the program and I'm looking for a roommate/housing.. I hope its not too late... thank you!!!

Anyone looking for a roommate still? Thanks in advance.

Just wanted to clarify. I don't have a place. I'm looking for both a roommate and a place. Thanks!
Hi, are you still looking for a roommate?

So I just noticed that this program is accepting apps for fall until August 10th. I get my mcat back on August 6th, so I could apply by then. Any guesses if I would actually have a chance of getting in this late, or should I apply for the spring? I have an aacomas cgpa of 3.44 and AAMC MCAT average of 30.

hey everyone! i just learned about my acceptance yesterday! i guess i am in a massive time crunch to get everything ready.

can someone fill me in on a few details since my acceptance letter with all the info hasn't come yet. When is the orientation and is it mandatory? also are most people living at the reserve at wood chase like the above poster has said? do they allow pets? is it a dormitory or an apt complex?

how hard do they hit you on the first few days of classes?

also what is the Facebook group name?

Thanks!

hey everyone! i just learned about my acceptance yesterday! i guess i am in a massive time crunch to get everything ready.

can someone fill me in on a few details since my acceptance letter with all the info hasn't come yet. When is the orientation and is it mandatory? also are most people living at the reserve at wood chase like the above poster has said? do they allow pets? is it a dormitory or an apt complex?

how hard do they hit you on the first few days of classes?

also what is the Facebook group name?

Thanks!

Yeah this is the zero hour.... I got very lucky to find an apartment so your best bet is to onto the facebook group dr baldwin will send you a link and find somebody to room with. Clinton is a very very slow town so if you want your own place the best way is to be proactive and get ahold of the classifieds and look on craigs list but you better get on it stuff does not stay unused for long. Check with the beaureguard village apartments. They had a few places left and they are a5 min walk from the campus. If you pm me i will give you their phone number. Also classes are going fast so you may want to call the school to get intouch with dr baldwin to get your alt pin. Best of luck to you.

For those of you who applied or were accepted to the program.. when does the application cycle open if you are applying for fall admission? I'm looking to enter the program next fall (Fall 2013).. when may I start applying?

I was actually really lucky and nabbed a 2BR at The Reserve at Woodchase. Dr. Baldwin told me the orientation will be held during the first week so I am glad I won't have to arrive before the first day of classes. Hope to meet everyone there!

So I just noticed that this program is accepting apps for fall until August 10th. I get my mcat back on August 6th, so I could apply by then. Any guesses if I would actually have a chance of getting in this late, or should I apply for the spring? I have an aacomas cgpa of 3.44 and AAMC MCAT average of 30.

it honestly wouldn't hurt to call the school and ask this. I think Dr. Baldwin deals with acceptances directly so he would know best.

Anyone know how competitive a 2.7 cGPA is for this program?

Anyone know how competitive a 2.7 cGPA is for this program?

In any borderline situations, you should call the admissions committee and ask them if they think you would be competitive enough for the program. A 2.7cGPA doesn't help paint the full picture because you could've had a massive upward trend in the later years which can help your application.

In any borderline situations, you should call the admissions committee and ask them if they think you would be competitive enough for the program. A 2.7cGPA doesn't help paint the full picture because you could've had a massive upward trend in the later years which can help your application.

I contacted Dr. Baldwin. He wants me to scan my transcripts (from 5 schools) and email them to him. Find it very odd that he won't allow me to fax them. I don't have easy access to a scanner.

I contacted Dr. Baldwin. He wants me to scan my transcripts (from 5 schools) and email them to him. Find it very odd that he won't allow me to fax them. I don't have easy access to a scanner.

If you think about it, it's a lot easier to organize in an e-mail. If you fax it to him, he would have to make a folder or something to keep your files in or else it could be potentially lost etc. He is the director of the program and admissions, he doesn't really deal with filing. Complete applications are sent to him and he either denies/accepts and moves on.

Any office or library has a scanner, just ask to use one really quickly. It's the least amount of work you can do for free advice. Plus, it's cheaper than faxing.

Just a quick question for those who you are in the program, have gone through the program, or are applying. What are the pros/cons of doing this program instead of a similar program that has some kind of linkage with a medical school?

Just a quick question for those who you are in the program, have gone through the program, or are applying. What are the pros/cons of doing this program instead of a similar program that has some kind of linkage with a medical school?
Pros: Cheap, no distractions from study, cheap living area, You can set up your own classes schedule, NBME Shelf exams for each 5 hour course, small class sizes, Gross labs with brand new cadvers ( next semester only), helpful staff, very well known and regarded in the gulf region and it is gaining national recognition.

Cons: Clinton,MS... Jeez this place is dull, strong linkage to U Mississippi so if you are not in state this doesn't help you, most medical schools care more about your grades in the medical like classes and not for the NBME shelfs, some medical schools don't know anything about this program but good LORs from Dr. Baldwin can fix this sometimes, small school and has very little research, city has no mass transit of any kind, Sunday is not a fun day...

MC is a great program but it really should not be your first choice. U Cinni, EVMS, U Tol are better choices but be careful with that term linkage, too many people think it means if you do the program you get into X school of med. In any program you really need to hit at least a 3.7 or higher. If you are a party person, MC will help slow you down so that you can get what you need done. I put G.S.L. to good use. ( Gym, Study, Laundry).

Best of luck in what you choose to do.

Pros: Cheap, no distractions from study, cheap living area, You can set up your own classes schedule, NBME Shelf exams for each 5 hour course, small class sizes, Gross labs with brand new cadvers ( next semester only), helpful staff, very well known and regarded in the gulf region and it is gaining national recognition.

Cons: Clinton,MS... Jeez this place is dull, strong linkage to U Mississippi so if you are not in state this doesn't help you, most medical schools care more about your grades in the medical like classes and not for the NBME shelfs, some medical schools don't know anything about this program but good LORs from Dr. Baldwin can fix this sometimes, small school and has very little research, city has no mass transit of any kind, Sunday is not a fun day...

MC is a great program but it really should not be your first choice. U Cinni, EVMS, U Tol are better choices but be careful with that term linkage, too many people think it means if you do the program you get into X school of med. In any program you really need to hit at least a 3.7 or higher. If you are a party person, MC will help slow you down so that you can get what you need done. I put G.S.L. to good use. ( Gym, Study, Laundry).

Best of luck in what you choose to do.

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. What exactly do you mean by very little research? Also, I'm not sure if you're familiar with them, but would say that the programs at Western University and LECOM would also be better choices? Thanks again for your help.