Mississippi College Masters of Medical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So how long did it take for the transcripts to get to MC? It's been 10 days...

For me it took about 2 weeks. Email or call them, because after I emailed I found out that only one of my transcripts made it, and the other got lost, so I had to request another one. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

For me it took about 2 weeks. Email or call them, because after I emailed I found out that only one of my transcripts made it, and the other got lost, so I had to request another one. Good luck!

I emailed Debbie this morning...so we'll see

Congrats to those I will see in the spring. Some advice when you get here I take it slow just take one 5 hour ( I recommend Histo) and one or two other classes ( Cell Physio is a good one). Try to avoid Gross until the fall as this spring is a wet lab that you won't get credit for. ( You will only get 5 hr credit for an 8 hr class) In the fall Gross and the wet lab should be 8 hours, they just don't like to change things in the middle of a year which is crap but whatever it is there school. Also if you take histo you maybe tempted to not go to the lab because the slides are easy to find online, however this would be extremely stupid as all of the test and lab quiz questions come from the slides in the lab. In other words if you go to the lab you are looking at test answers. Go to the tutors, these are the people that "get it" and if you what to understand things like they do you have to go to their study sessions. Finally enjoy your life NOW because when classes start your life becomes studying. Write up a schedule that you can follow and stick to it.

Best of luck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'm excited! Hopefully I'll hear back from MC in a few weeks. I'm really excited about this program :D Thanks for all of your input WorldChanger...I think I've decided to take the MCAT at the end of the program since I will most likely have a gap year.

Well, I'm excited! Hopefully I'll hear back from MC in a few weeks. I'm really excited about this program :D Thanks for all of your input WorldChanger...I think I've decided to take the MCAT at the end of the program since I will most likely have a gap year.

You are welcome. However you could just take the mcat in the summer and take a maymester course and or a small summer a course. Trust me the mcat really sucks and having it in front of you drains you. Put it to rest this summer and you will feel like you lost 50 lbs of stress and what ifs.

Well, I've taken it 3 times...so I know the stress involved...but I'll probably wait and see what the schedule will allow. I might do the summer MCAT, but only if I have the time to follow the SN2ed schedule, if not, I'll just wait.

My transcripts were sent last Monday and still no word on whether they've been received. Debbie said she'd let me know when they came in. I'm so anxious waiting...

Does anybody know what reasons they would have for rejecting applicants if your scores and GPA exceed their requirements? Or does everybody get in if they meet admission requirements?

Does anybody know what reasons they would have for rejecting applicants if your scores and GPA exceed their requirements? Or does everybody get in if they meet admission requirements?

you're going to get in man, just relax

So I just found out that my transcripts for one school were sent to the wrong address and I have to resend them. Is this going to affect my chances or just delay everything?

For those of you currently in the program, how are you funding your schooling? If by loans, what happens if you have a gap year? Will you be able to defer the payments until after medical school or will you have to start paying during the gap year?

For those of you currently in the program, how are you funding your schooling? If by loans, what happens if you have a gap year? Will you be able to defer the payments until after medical school or will you have to start paying during the gap year?

Many students don't finish off the program so they can defer the payments during the gap year/application cycle. Many students also take additional classes during the gap year since you can continue to get funding. Even if you do graduate, you can defer payments up to 2 years if you cannot find a job.

From my knowledge, long as you are a full-time student, you can defer payments until you graduate from a professional school. Not sure if there is a limit on years you can stay as a full-time student... there might be a limit on funding however.

Obviously students would fund by loans..either from bank/federal/parents. Working while studying here would be suicide unless you plan on graduating in 2-3 years. Even then, it would be very difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't planning on working. What do you mean that many students don't finish off the program?

I wasn't planning on working. What do you mean that many students don't finish off the program?

You don't "have" to finish the program in 1 year. Some students delay graduation and take an additional semester or two to complete all four of the 5 credit classes to make medical school easier. This can sometimes help with your application also since you are able to update with additional grades.

With that being said, can you take more than the 33 credit hours required to finish the program? For instance, taking classes during the gap year?

With that being said, can you take more than the 33 credit hours required to finish the program? For instance, taking classes during the gap year?

Think that is the case with all professional programs? Long as you don't turn in your graduation petition, you can stay long as you want lol. Although I heard that isn't the case for international students, once they finish the requirements, they are auto-graduated. But you can always delay graduation by not taking a super easy core class like "bio seminar".

Lastly, do you have any suggestions for class scheduling if I'm starting in the Spring? I want to be as prepared for medical school as possible and I want to have a vigorous enough schedule to impress admission boards.

Lastly, do you have any suggestions for class scheduling if I'm starting in the Spring? I want to be as prepared for medical school as possible and I want to have a vigorous enough schedule to impress admission boards.

Two things to keep in mind. 1) Don't underestimate the 5 hour classes 2) High grades will look infinitely better than a "tough schedule" to admissions.

I don't know your background and how well you study, so it is best to ask Dr. Baldwin. Take his advice to heart and realize that you want to push yourself but at the same time not be suicidal.

If I could go back and re-schedule my semester, I'm not sure I would've mixed histo + neuro together. I am doing well currently in both classes but the level of anxiety/sleeplessness felt already 1.5 months into the semester is a bit overwhelming. Of course part of it has to do with my extra-curriculars but I honestly think starting with one 5 hour credit class + 2 other 3 credit courses is a better option for the first semester. From what I hear of other people, I don't recommend mixing gross anatomy with any other 5 hour course. Also, save histo to match with another 5 hour course during your 2nd semester.

We will have real cadavers for gross anatomy in spring, so that might be a fun class to take as your one 5 hour credit if you choose that route.

P.S. - please realize these are MY suggestions. I've only been here 2 months, so take Dr. Baldwin's advice with more heart.

Will do! Thanks so much for your input!

Will do! Thanks so much for your input!

Np! I highly recommend neuro, probably one of the most influential classes I have ever been in. One of my problems is that histo is on the boring side compared to neuro, so I have to slap myself to study histo lol.

I was definitely planning on taking both, but I love histo. I shadowed various pathologists in my area for 6 months and found looking at slides is pretty interesting lol...but maybe that's just me.

Anyone that has gotten in for spring, what class are you planning to take?

So far I am thinking about: Histology (5) , Medical Microbiology (4) , and Biochemistry Metabolism (3). I've heard from several people that it's wise to start with only one 5 hour course during your first semester.

Anybody that has taken these classes, any advice?

Anyone that has gotten in for spring, what class are you planning to take?

So far I am thinking about: Histology (5) , Medical Microbiology (4) , and Biochemistry Metabolism (3). I've heard from several people that it's wise to start with only one 5 hour course during your first semester.

Anybody that has taken these classes, any advice?

If you're looking to do well on the shelf exam, I would recommend that you take cell physiology with histology. Although I admit, that the class really hasn't taught me much so far, the review of material is helping me get re-acquainted with many of the questions that will come up on the shelf. If you are looking to accomplish the program in 1 year, by taking histology, you will have to take two "harder" 5 hour courses in your 2nd semester. While it is definitely do-able, IMO, it is better to take a hard 5 hour course by itself, then take 2 mediocre ones together.

Some other tips that are working out for me so far and you may find useful...
1) Sleep and exercise are super important. My roommate is a cramster ... He will stay up until 5 am studying and sometimes this works out for him but there has been a few points where he just blanked out or slept through class and missed quizes. I go to sleep by midnight and get up at 7 am everyday and resume where I left off. Exercise is super easy because of the baptist health plex on campus.Great de-stresser.
2) Write a study schedule and stick to it. This way I get everything in.
3) If you don't know something ask a tutor. The professors are great but tutors are more available and have a better understanding of how you need to know something.
4) Don't study on campus if possible. Some people just can help but stop and talk and when it is study time you need to put your full effort into it.
5) Read with passion like you are reading a novel, then write a short paragraph summary of each page.
6) Read the guyton and BRS before you read your notes. Some people disagree strongly with me on this one, however I have figured out more of Dr. Baldwin's verbal mess ups this way. Guess what if Baldwin teach it wrong in the class and wrong in the notes and nobody catches it, everybody gets it wrong on the test. His slogan is "Know what I mean, not what I say." Trust Guyton and BRS.
7) Ignore Ross unless told otherwise. In histology, what is taught in class and in the notes is what is correct. This is the opposite of med phys and Neuro and rule 6. Know your professors.
8)You can't know it all and sometimes you will have to guess. It just sucks to study so hard and then boom a test question just beats you. IF it is a double true/false, the best guess is true. It takes more effort for professors to come up with tricky false answers so unless and answer has set off your "wtf" reflex assume it is true. Multiple choice is much more like multiple true/false so look for elimination factors and use deduction.
9) Go to histo lab. The slides are the test questions. The only ones that are not are EMs and these are so obvious.
10) Try to read everything twice per week. Try... as the semester progresses you be able to do most of this.
11) Never assume a professor won't do x, y or z. They will... Yes on our lab practical we did have PNS nerve on there twice almost back to back.
12) Finally this is an endurance contest not a knowledge or IQ test. 85% is an A in 5 hours courses. If you can hit between an 80 and an 85 on the tests and your quiz average is perfect, your paper at the end will pull you up the rest of the way. So don't stress the small stuff and keep that test average above an 80 and you will be fine.

I am going to hit the books.

Some other tips that are working out for me so far and you may find useful...
1) Sleep and exercise are super important. My roommate is a cramster ... He will stay up until 5 am studying and sometimes this works out for him but there has been a few points where he just blanked out or slept through class and missed quizes. I go to sleep by midnight and get up at 7 am everyday and resume where I left off. Exercise is super easy because of the baptist health plex on campus.Great de-stresser.
2) Write a study schedule and stick to it. This way I get everything in.
3) If you don't know something ask a tutor. The professors are great but tutors are more available and have a better understanding of how you need to know something.
4) Don't study on campus if possible. Some people just can help but stop and talk and when it is study time you need to put your full effort into it.
5) Read with passion like you are reading a novel, then write a short paragraph summary of each page.
6) Read the guyton and BRS before you read your notes. Some people disagree strongly with me on this one, however I have figured out more of Dr. Baldwin's verbal mess ups this way. Guess what if Baldwin teach it wrong in the class and wrong in the notes and nobody catches it, everybody gets it wrong on the test. His slogan is "Know what I mean, not what I say." Trust Guyton and BRS.
7) Ignore Ross unless told otherwise. In histology, what is taught in class and in the notes is what is correct. This is the opposite of med phys and Neuro and rule 6. Know your professors.
8)You can't know it all and sometimes you will have to guess. It just sucks to study so hard and then boom a test question just beats you. IF it is a double true/false, the best guess is true. It takes more effort for professors to come up with tricky false answers so unless and answer has set off your "wtf" reflex assume it is true. Multiple choice is much more like multiple true/false so look for elimination factors and use deduction.
9) Go to histo lab. The slides are the test questions. The only ones that are not are EMs and these are so obvious.
10) Try to read everything twice per week. Try... as the semester progresses you be able to do most of this.
11) Never assume a professor won't do x, y or z. They will... Yes on our lab practical we did have PNS nerve on there twice almost back to back.
12) Finally this is an endurance contest not a knowledge or IQ test. 85% is an A in 5 hours courses. If you can hit between an 80 and an 85 on the tests and your quiz average is perfect, your paper at the end will pull you up the rest of the way. So don't stress the small stuff and keep that test average above an 80 and you will be fine.

I am going to hit the books.

Thank you so much for the advice! On average, how many hours a week do you study for histology?

Also, is there public transportation pretty good over there? I don't know if I should take my car.

Thank you so much for the advice! On average, how many hours a week do you study for histology?

Also, is there public transportation pretty good over there? I don't know if I should take my car.

Except for random shuttles from locations like apartment complexes, there is zero public transportation. BRING YOUR CAR.

I study completely differently than worldchanger, so I would play devil's advocate and say the study habits really depend on you ability to study. Put in the hours and learn what works best for you. The first test isn't hard because of the material, but because you are adjusting how to maximize time and study habits.

Let me just start off by saying I am most likely this programs biggest critic. So if something comes out as negative or harsh just keep in mind that is just how it feels to me. Histo get about 3 hours per day of study outside of classroom work and lab study. That means I am reading notes and the book and memorizing what was stated in the classroom for about 3 hours per day. I usually spend about 4 to 5 hours in the lab viewing slides every week. I don't spend any time with the histo tutors because to be honest they suck this semester. They put together a lab practice test for us of about 80 questions and not one single slide was on the test and many of the slides where not properly identified. However the other tutors are great. Mississippi is not a place of public services, so if you don't have a car you will be isolated in Clinton and many of us are. There are alot of pre-dent people in this program and they are not very competitive so you will find them helpful and friendly. Take your time in the program and you will be fine, however if you are like me and hate Mississippi and you are not to happy with where most of the people that finish the program are ending up you may want to get done as fast as possible.

Let me just start off by saying I am most likely this programs biggest critic. So if something comes out as negative or harsh just keep in mind that is just how it feels to me. Histo get about 3 hours per day of study outside of classroom work and lab study. That means I am reading notes and the book and memorizing what was stated in the classroom for about 3 hours per day. I usually spend about 4 to 5 hours in the lab viewing slides every week. I don't spend any time with the histo tutors because to be honest they suck this semester. They put together a lab practice test for us of about 80 questions and not one single slide was on the test and many of the slides where not properly identified. However the other tutors are great. Mississippi is not a place of public services, so if you don't have a car you will be isolated in Clinton and many of us are. There are alot of pre-dent people in this program and they are not very competitive so you will find them helpful and friendly. Take your time in the program and you will be fine, however if you are like me and hate Mississippi and you are not to happy with where most of the people that finish the program are ending up you may want to get done as fast as possible.

Yeah.. they re-hashed an old mock lab practical. To be fair however, it is not possible to get the slides that will be on the test because they take pictures of the SLIDES of the box that is provided to us.

The best advice for histo is going to be to take advantage of the numerous websites of other schools. Also, to continuously go over the slides so that your eyes will adjust to the small differences between them. Knowing the notes inside out will also help narrow down the differences between tricky slides. My biggest beef with histology is that they try to trick you into the wrong answers. It isn't the fact that you didn't know the question, they switch look-a-like wording that would never be used in the context. If you let your guard down for a second, you'll get the question wrong. It's best to keep a list of look alike words and tricky subjects to keep you on your toes.

do i have a chance?

3.34 cGPA, 29Q MCAT.

I'm going to retake it in Jan.. but I mean you can't bet on that. So yeah.

do i have a chance?

3.34 cGPA, 29Q MCAT.

I'm going to retake it in Jan.. but I mean you can't bet on that. So yeah.

For med-school or this program? You have stellar stats for entry into this program. If you applied this year, I wouldn't have doubted you would've at least gotten into a DO program depending on your extra-curriculars.

For med-school or this program? You have stellar stats for entry into this program. If you applied this year, I wouldn't have doubted you would've at least gotten into a DO program depending on your extra-curriculars.

for this program. xD

I'm not applying this year to med schools ><'' But thank you! it brings my confidence up a little bit about my stats aha. ^^''

My extra-curriculars I think are okay.. I've volunteered in a hospital for ~200 hours. I've been researching in an analytical chemistry lab for 1+ year now. I was mostly just helping out but I'm getting my own project soon (well it's still under a PI but it's like a subset of the big project) so I'm pretty excited about that. I guess this would be my most notable thing if it goes well... and somehow can get published aha. I did bio research (well more assistant) for a quarter but the PI had to leave the country so I ended up stopping. For leadership... I was a VP for a club at school for a year.

My GPA though is really unbalanced. I got fairly sick for the last two years along with family problems so it shot down to hell. I'd go into the details but I mean at the end of the day, I could have just taken a break from school which I didn't so it's my fault. XD. The result was that I was under units for 2 quarters + my GPA dropped...a lot. (like I went from a 3.8 end of freshmen year --> 3.3 end of junior year) so I wanted to make up for that with this year + a year of SMP/post-bacc. (or I'm hoping that could show the admissions that I can handle the medical school course load)

I think DO is an option and I will explore it during the summer (via shadowing), but I really do want to try for the allopathic schools (like I don't want the reason I chose DO to be because I was sick... I want to choose it b/c I like their philsophies). So for now I'm going graduation --> SMP/postbacc --> med school application.

Finally my application is complete! Last transcript was received today! Hooray!

Yeah.. they re-hashed an old mock lab practical. To be fair however, it is not possible to get the slides that will be on the test because they take pictures of the SLIDES of the box that is provided to us.

The best advice for histo is going to be to take advantage of the numerous websites of other schools. Also, to continuously go over the slides so that your eyes will adjust to the small differences between them. Knowing the notes inside out will also help narrow down the differences between tricky slides. My biggest beef with histology is that they try to trick you into the wrong answers. It isn't the fact that you didn't know the question, they switch look-a-like wording that would never be used in the context. If you let your guard down for a second, you'll get the question wrong. It's best to keep a list of look alike words and tricky subjects to keep you on your toes.

Yeah I agree it gets old that their same old game is trying to trick us instead of trying to teach us.

Quick question for current MC students. Is it possible to find rent for ~ $300-400 in clinton or jackson? Do you know anybody in the program that is looking for a roommate? I will have a car, so 10-15 min drive is no problem.

Quick question for current MC students. Is it possible to find rent for ~ $300-400 in clinton or jackson? Do you know anybody in the program that is looking for a roommate? I will have a car, so 10-15 min drive is no problem.

Possible yeah... desirable.... NO. Minimum you should really be paying is 500 for a one bedroom and 600 for a two. Under that and you are putting yourself at risk. Most roommates are taken by now however you could get lucky and find a new student to room with.

My strongest advice.... You have a car so you should live in Jackson the drive is super easy and Jackson is WAY better then Clinton. Also you will be close to everything you need over there. It would be wise to get a two bedroom and advertise the room on trusted websites. It is rare that a second bedroom is a lot extra so it should be easy to rent out to a classmate or somebody that joins the program in summer. If you want to stay close to the school for whatever reason, contact Kay at Beauregard village apartments. If you want the contact information just PM me. For the money it is an awesome deal and the townhomes are nice and easy to attract roommates to. Start apartment hunting as early as possible because it maybe awhile before anything opens up. You could also contact Dr.Baldwin, he maybe able to help you with contact info of new students coming in this spring.

Supposedly this area has extremely slow turnover rate, so it's hard to find good deals. I've heard of some people finding extremely good deals paying around $350/person in a 2-3 BR apartment. Best to search around on the facebook group to see if anyone has a spot open. I think I have seen a few posts saying they had potential spots/places open. Just have to keep an eye out.

Is it rare for someone to live over there with no roommates, because, honestly, I hate having roommates. I love having my home a certain way without having to deal with another person. If I do have to live in Jackson to find this, how far of a drive is it typically?

Is it rare for someone to live over there with no roommates, because, honestly, I hate having roommates. I love having my home a certain way without having to deal with another person. If I do have to live in Jackson to find this, how far of a drive is it typically?

Depends on where you live in Jackson... but I stayed away since I heard bad things about living there. People recommend Flowood, for people who want to commute but it is 20-30 min drive. I would estimate from Jackson to Clinton to be around 15-20 min commute.

For 400 bucks/month, you're not going to find a single. Minimum is around 600 probably and rare to find.

I heard that you can get a dorm room and live on MC campus if you don't mind being in a dormitory. But you have to evacuate during holidays and such, which is a huge pain.

Yeah, I don't want to live in dorms...but I was prepared for paying at least $600/mth...I was just concerned with the commute time. I've been driving a one hour commute for the past 5 years and I would really rather not have a long commute.

Yeah, I don't want to live in dorms...but I was prepared for paying at least $600/mth...I was just concerned with the commute time. I've been driving a one hour commute for the past 5 years and I would really rather not have a long commute.

You shouldn't have longer then a 30 to 40 min commute from anywhere around Jackson. Consider Ridgeland, Pearl or Flowood. Most highway are direct to Clinton from these spots. Ridgeland and Flowood have the nicest places to eat in my opinion. Downtown Jackson is also nice but you have to stick as close to the urban core as possible for the nice apartments. Commute are not that bad because there are many redundant roads and highways all around. Traffic is minimal and rarely jammed. If you don't have to live in Clinton don't. Note be careful about what some people call ghetto. I have been told many times that both Pearl and Ridgeland are ghetto. It isn't.

for gre scores, i know you have to make 146Q and 149V, what if you make higher in one section and lower in another section. do they take the combined scores? or just separate?

for gre scores, i know you have to make 146Q and 149V, what if you make higher in one section and lower in another section. do they take the combined scores? or just separate?

They are guidelines. Contact Dr. Baldwin and he will provide an answer. Test scores are just one criteria of many. Good luck!

So how close to two weeks is the acceptance notification? For me, it's been two weeks today and I emailed Debbie but haven't gotten a response yet...

So how close to two weeks is the acceptance notification? For me, it's been two weeks today and I emailed Debbie but haven't gotten a response yet...

Honestly, I would just call and make sure to double check everything went through fine. I was told that they had received everything and I would get a notice 2 weeks; only later to find out they had lost my file in transit to Dr. Baldwin. Once I cleared that up they fast-tracked my application and everything went through fine.

Also Dr. Baldwin has been incredibly busy lately but I heard he is making time tomorrow to clear up some busy work with scheduling with students/e-mails.

One rule I learned from applying... CALL, NOT EMAIL.

Awesome, I will give them a call tomorrow then! Thanks for the tip!

Honestly, I would just call and make sure to double check everything went through fine. I was told that they had received everything and I would get a notice 2 weeks; only later to find out they had lost my file in transit to Dr. Baldwin. Once I cleared that up they fast-tracked my application and everything went through fine.

Also Dr. Baldwin has been incredibly busy lately but I heard he is making time tomorrow to clear up some busy work with scheduling with students/e-mails.

One rule I learned from applying... CALL, NOT EMAIL.

Oh he is busy all right... Advancing that test in Med phys...

Yeah you do need to call. Something about spring admissions that just throws them off. Most likely because they have so much going on right now. Don't worry. As long as you stay on top of them you will get in.

So I called this morning, and Debbie just told me that my app has been sent to Dr Baldwin for review...She said that when he returns it to her she will email me and send me my letter :/

So I called this morning, and Debbie just told me that my app has been sent to Dr Baldwin for review...She said that when he returns it to her she will email me and send me my letter :/

Waiting game; try to relax as much as you can and wait for the good news!

Try not to worry mvb2. Dr. Baldwin will let people know if he thinks this program isn't for them and a huge majority of people that complete the program get into UMC after a gap year (if they complete the program in 1 year) so if this is what you want you'll get it. Believe me though once you are in you are going to work til it hurts and then work some more.