Iowa State C/O 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ah, I see. I took what the school said at face value, there would be a date we’d hear back and that was that. The lack of ambiguity there is helpful for me. But I can also see additional concern with this information.

What was the cut off last year?
Based on what I could find in last year's "hopefuls" thread, it looks like the cutoff was speculated to be a 2.95 (based on the gpa of people who didn't meet the cutoff vs people who did). I think this was for prerequisite science gpa, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what I could find in last year's "hopefuls" thread, it looks like the cutoff was speculated to be a 2.95 (based on the gpa of people who didn't meet the cutoff vs people who did). I think this was for prerequisite science gpa, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
Thank you for this info. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course! I've been so anxious I keep going back and combing through past few years' threads. Definitely not healthy, hehe.
I get it. So much of this is challenging in so many ways. Fingers crossed for a good outcome and payoff for all your efforts !!!! 💕

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Hey all, this is what's on Iowa's website:
Screen Shot 2023-11-06 at 4.06.17 PM.png

I looked back at last year's thread and it looked like it was an accident that one person was initially denied when they had a 2.9 or something, they did get put back into the application pool to be looked at. And the GPA cutoff is normally determined only for the required science courses GPA. I feel like from past experience it's normally around the 2.8-3.0 mark, but this obviously could change based on the applicant pool. (I went back and looked and the 2020 application cycle the cutoff was 3.0), unsure what the 2022 cycle was because I got waitlisted so I never got to see what they said cutoff was that year, and 2023 was a 2.8.

Does Iowa drop first attempt courses? I was pleasantly surprised to see my science gpa calculated higher than I thought it was. I had retaken organic chemistry 1 twice

Does Iowa drop first attempt courses? I was pleasantly surprised to see my science gpa calculated higher than I thought it was. I had retaken organic chemistry 1 twice
Yes! This is what they said on the website!

"When a course is repeated, the most recent grade that appears on your transcript will be used in calculating the GPA. Grades in graduate didactic coursework will be considered in the last 45 credit GPA."

Yes! This is what they said on the website!

"When a course is repeated, the most recent grade that appears on your transcript will be used in calculating the GPA. Grades in graduate didactic coursework will be considered in the last 45 credit GPA."
How do you think they would handle a "W" to take a lower level biochem instead in the Spring...I'm struggling with the upper-level course.

How do you think they would handle a "W" to take a lower level biochem instead in the Spring...I'm struggling with the upper-level course.
I’m honestly not sure how they would calculate that when they update after fall grades, I do know that if you get accepted in February or even just waitlisted, then you only need to get a C or better to keep your acceptance. You could reach out to them and ask how W’s are calculated!

My status just changed to In Review and they also listed transcripts needed and deadlines for them from my fall classes and upcoming spring classes. Is this a good sign?!

Wondering if there are any students on here who deferred last years cycle to enter the class of 2028 at ISU? I would love to get in touch ahead of orientation! I deferred to enter in the Fall semester of the class of 2028 myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I be concerned if my app still says “In academic review”? I submitted September 14th.

Should I be concerned if my app still says “In academic review”? I submitted September 14th.
I don’t think you should be concerned:). Mine still says “in academic review” and my gpa’s haven’t populated yet. I did submit after you though

I don’t think you should be concerned:). Mine still says “in academic review” and my gpa’s haven’t populated yet. I did submit after you though
Yeah I'm just concerned because I think I saw people who submitted at my time have theirs pass academic review :/ hopefully there's some randomness

Yeah I'm just concerned because I think I saw people who submitted at my time have theirs pass academic review :/ hopefully there's some randomness
There’s total randomness I submitted before u and nothing is up yet. They do it by hand so it’s all random and just as they go

Reactions: 1 users
There’s total randomness I submitted before u and nothing is up yet. They do it by hand so it’s all random and just as they go
This whole thing is just so stressful! All we can do is be patient, which is incredibly hard. Lol.

Iowa uses fall grades for admissions/decisions too! So I wouldn’t worry! They have normally used all their time up until February to get the portals of each applicant together!

First time OOS, haven't got anything from Iowa yet

Iowa State I think are one of three schools that still do CASPer instead of the interview. I think Feb. 15th is when all IS and OOS shall find out whether they're accepted or not. I'm an IS applicant and haven't gotten any info about IS interviews.
It’s because they recalculate everything with fall grades and don’t do interviews (at least for out of state!)

Yeah Iowa doesn't do interviews and everyone finds out on the same date for acceptance/waitlist(alternate)/denials. The date is usually around feb 15th to feb 22nd.

Reactions: 2 users
could we resend our transcripts to vmcas and then they’d get to the schools that need them?

VMCAS is closed until the next cycle opens, you’ll need to send directly to each school requiring them
how do you send them? my school used the website parchment for vmcas so how are you guys sending them in?

how do you send them? my school used the website parchment for vmcas so how are you guys sending them in?
You have to order them through your school and instead of the destination being VMCAS it has to be Iowa state

Do they like update gpas as they receive transcripts or do they do it all after the 20th? If anyone even knows lol Ik it’s an odd question

Where can we see where Iowa posts our GPA that they calculate? I’ve seen people mention it on threads but I don’t see in my portal where they have calculated my GPA?

Do they like update gpas as they receive transcripts or do they do it all after the 20th? If anyone even knows lol Ik it’s an odd question
I believe they update GPAs as they receive transcripts but it does take a while for your grade to be updated once they receive it since they do everything manually.

Where can we see where Iowa posts our GPA that they calculate? I’ve seen people mention it on threads but I don’t see in my portal where they have calculated my GPA?
There should be a portion between the "Supplemental Application" status section and the "Signature Page" portion that should be titled "Grade Point Averages" that shows both your required science GPA and your last 45 credit GPA

There should be a portion between the "Supplemental Application" status section and the "Signature Page" portion that should be titled "Grade Point Averages" that shows both your required science GPA and your last 45 credit GPA
This doesn't exist for me.

This doesn't exist for me.
Mine also never updated. I had emailed earlier in the cycle and they said sometimes since theh do everything by hand they don’t post some by mistake. I’d email and recheck

My calculated last 45 just randomly went up by 0.12 today despite me not taking any Fall '23 classes? I mean hey I'll take it but unsure where that came from

Does anyone think it's worth reaching out and asking why my ISU science GPA is a full 0.1 lower than my VMCAS science GPA? It's low enough that I'm scared I'll be rejected based on that alone.

Does anyone think it's worth reaching out and asking why my ISU science GPA is a full 0.1 lower than my VMCAS science GPA? It's low enough that I'm scared I'll be rejected based on that alone.
ISU calculates your required science GPA. VMCAS just calculates your overall science GPA I believe

Last edited:
ISU's required science is calculated from the courses on their website that they outline as their pre-reqs, where VMCAS is like your overall science GPA which is generally quite a bit more science courses/more credit hours. You could look on Iowa's website for which courses specifically and do a rough calculation yourself to see if it's accurate. If you think something is wrong then you can definitely reach out to them for clarification!

If your status went to “In Review” from “In Academic Review”, you made it past preliminary academic screening to file review as far as I know. GPA is still worth a certain percentage though, I think it’s like 45% with last 45 and science equally weighted

Like DogtorAsh said, Iowa’s science GPA is just their science prereqs, while VMCAS’s is calculated with every course subject that they consider science

1st time OOS.

I've been reading up on the previous posts to try to find an answer, but I couldn't seem to find one.

Here's my concern:
I don't have the calculated GPA on my application yet.
Everything is green and submitted and my status is "in review".
According to what I've read from others, it looks like some of you have had "in academic review" and "in committee review". I believe mine used to say "in academic review", but I can't remember now and it's worrying me a bit.
Any advice/opinions on this? I haven't received a rejection letter. The last letter I got was the deadline reminder...

Someone in a Facebook group I’m in said they were OOS waitlisted today, has anyone else heard anything?