Iowa State C/O 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
7BCF0C33-A227-4598-A9BC-FD3FD90C46E1.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
does anyone know much about the concurrent dvm/phd program? specifically microbiology? i am really interested in it and would love to know more

Just officially declined my seat, such a surreal position to be in. Good luck to those on the waitlist!

Members don't see this ad :)
Will anyone going this weekend to preview day update us on the admissions numbers if they share them with you like they did at the first visit day?

Will anyone going this weekend to preview day update us on the admissions numbers if they share them with you like they did at the first visit day?

Attachments

• 3C215CA0-7C41-423F-8B75-26EAB027A54D.jpeg
    3C215CA0-7C41-423F-8B75-26EAB027A54D.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!! Did they mention if they’re still planning for the 22nd to start pulling people from the waitlist

i’m #31 and will be declining my seat when the time comes, so everyone after me will move up one!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you!! Did they mention if they’re still planning for the 22nd to start pulling people from the waitlist
The 22nd is still the most likely date you’ll see something posted on your portal unless you ask. They said they’ll update you on the progress of the waitlist if you ask on the message board portal! They stressed that you have about 2 days to let them know and then I think 5 days to get payment sent in.

The 22nd is still the most likely date you’ll see something posted on your portal unless you ask. They said they’ll update you on the progress of the waitlist if you ask on the message board portal! They stressed that you have about 2 days to let them know and then I think 5 days to get payment sent in.
Wait what will be posted to our portals on the 22??

Nothing will be posted automatically unless you ask about current waitlist number, or you are being contacted with the offer. 22nd is the day they will start pulling people from the waitlist.

Does anyone remember how many they moved last couple cycles? I think I heard three hundred something but didn't make sense to me.

Nothing will be posted automatically unless you ask about current waitlist number, or you are being contacted with the offer. 22nd is the day they will start pulling people from the waitlist.

Does anyone remember how many they moved last couple cycles? I think I heard three hundred something but didn't make sense to me.
They got up to at least number 135 last year on the waitlist if that’s what you’re asking!

Last edited:

Right before school started, 142 got called last year. Two years ago 151 was the last to be called. I think the number of people waitlisted is probably around 300. Maybe that’s the number you heard

Right before school started, 142 got called last year. Two years ago 151 was the last to be called. I think the number of people waitlisted is probably around 300. Maybe that’s the number you heard
Last year they got to at least 144 according to the SDN thread. This year the waitlist is out of 268 and last year it was around 230!

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m so torn! I ranked 1/14 for the in state alternate list. I’ve been accepted to another school too and don’t want to risk losing that position. Should I pay the deposit for the other school because I know in state alternates barely move. The other school is my #2 pick and Iowa being the first because of cost/curriculum. In grand scheme of things 1k isn’t too bad when we’re taking on 100-200k debt.
Not sure if anyone responded to you yet
I was in a similar situation 2 years ago, I paid my deposit at Iowa while I waited for another school. Since in-state may not move at all (it could but it may literally be mid August when you get the call) You may lose a couple hundred $ but better safe than sorry IMO

Has anyone who’s been accepted got any info yet about what the computers will be for c/o 2028??

Has anyone who’s been accepted got any info yet about what the computers will be for c/o 2028??
Unless it’s changed recently you all get some Lenovo thinkpad that will be provided to you. The school provides it so everything can be downloaded and they install whatever they install on it lol.

You can certainly purchase your own but will have no IT support. It is a hunk of garbage but it does the job for the 4 years (unless you get unlucky)

Ahh I’ve decided I’m accepting my seat once it’s offered and want to secure housing but feel weird doing so before I actually have an acceptance letter. Wish the waitlist would start moving 😅

Reactions: 5 users
Ahh I’ve decided I’m accepting my seat once it’s offered and want to secure housing but feel weird doing so before I actually have an acceptance letter. Wish the waitlist would start moving

Literally my exact feelings currently. Knowing that 99.99% chance I’ll be offered a seat and wanting to get ready but also not having the offer in my hand yet

Unless it’s changed recently you all get some Lenovo thinkpad that will be provided to you. The school provides it so everything can be downloaded and they install whatever they install on it lol.

You can certainly purchase your own but will have no IT support. It is a hunk of garbage but it does the job for the 4 years (unless you get unlucky)
I have heard some talk about changing from the lenovo thinkpads to an ipad! I’ve heard this at the preview day and from a few current students. The class of 2028 page still says there’s information to come currently. CLASS OF 2028 INFORMATION – Future DVM Students

Literally my exact feelings currently. Knowing that 99.99% chance I’ll be offered a seat and wanting to get ready but also not having the offer in my hand yet
Current VM1 - I was placed really high on the OOS waitlist and put a deposit down on my trailer before getting pulled off! If you are ranked high on the waitlist, I would consider doing that, especially if you are considering a trailer or apartment as housing here can go pretty fast!

I have heard some talk about changing from the lenovo thinkpads to an ipad! I’ve heard this at the preview day and from a few current students. The class of 2028 page still says there’s information to come currently. CLASS OF 2028 INFORMATION – Future DVM Students
This is correct! We currently have the Lenovo thinkpads - we are required to have them since they have the lockdown browser for when we take exams and some lab software (virtual slides for histology and pathology). There is talk though that you guys will get something else (mac, ipads)! In undergrad I used my Mac and iPad, so I use those on the day-to-day in all my CVM classes to take notes. I only really use the Lenovo when needed for exams, but some of my classmates use their Lenovo's for everything!

If any of you have any questions (housing, classes, etc) let me know!

That sounds like a breath of fresh air. The thinkpads were pretty garbage (half of my group of friends had issues with theirs). I only ever used it for lockdown browser and anything I needed to print. I had an iPad of my own and used it to take notes and it was great!

Tomorrow’s decision day! Hopefully those of us waitlisted start hearing soon!

Reactions: 8 users
Just declined my OOS seat. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

sent in my email today to remove myself from the waitlist! position 33 so anyone below that is already one spot higher! wishing you ALL the best!!! 🫶

Reactions: 3 users
So do waitlist people start getting calls tomorrow ?
You will get a message to your email that your portal has been updated! Last year it seems like we heard at least a week after decision day, probably sooner! But you all will hear eventually :)

You will get a message to your email that your portal has been updated! Last year it seems like we heard at least a week after decision day, probably sooner! But you all will hear eventually :)
I looked over my message last year - looks like people started getting pulled on the 22nd!

Does anyone know if there’s a dress code at ISU?
Current first year. If you look online it says that Thursdays are professional days, but that isn't true anymore. So it's business casual everyday (jeans, t-shirts, hoodies,etc). They did tell us that sometimes if they have people coming to see the school they will let us know in advance so we can dress more professional.

Iowa holding on pulling alternates this year has me stressing, they’re usually one of the first schools to start doing so and it seems like most other schools are already well on the way down their lists 🫠

You’d think it’d be lower anxiety waiting now but it’s just higher stakes with a bonus irrational fear that they won’t make it to 5 somehow lol

• Care
Iowa holding on pulling alternates this year has me stressing, they’re usually one of the first schools to start doing so and it seems like most other schools are already well on the way down their lists 🫠

You’d think it’d be lower anxiety waiting now but it’s just higher stakes with a bonus irrational fear that they won’t make it to 5 somehow lol
They usually wait until a week after decision deadline to start down the waitlist.

They usually wait until a week after decision deadline to start down the waitlist.
Was last year just different? According to the sdn they were already to spot 88 by a week after the deadline and started in early April

On last year's thread and the spreadsheet that's been going around of the last 5 years or so, it seems like it's been like the first or second week of April that they've started? Not trying to say I know better or anything, just curious about the discrepancy since I've seen other people say it's usually around 4/22 as well

Was last year just different? According to the sdn they were already to spot 88 by a week after the deadline and started in early April
They’ll start earlier if they can, but they usually tell everyone at the preview days not to expect any waitlist movement until a week after decision deadline so y’all don’t panic and start calling super early.

They’ll start earlier if they can, but they usually tell everyone at the preview days not to expect any waitlist movement until a week after decision deadline so y’all don’t panic and start calling super early.
That makes sense! Just our luck that this is the only year they aren’t starting early :((

I just got the call that I've been taken off my IS waitlist, so I'll be declining my waitlist seat (#143)!! I wish you all the best of luck :giggle:

Reactions: 4 users

I bet you'll get that call tomorrow!!

• Care
Hoping tomorrow is the day we start hearing back!! Keep us higher numbers posted when you guys start getting notifications/pulled!! This wait is killing me 😅

just removed myself from the waitlist as an oos student #135. Good luck everyone!

I just asked and they said that it will be in the next day or so.

Well i feel like a rude idiot, I 100% remember going in and submitting my intent to decline form but I guess it didn't go through. But in conjunction with what clayke said, it looks like today was the last day they were waiting to have received any postmarked payments as they just sent me a notice saying basically they didn't hear from me and were letting me know my acceptance was being considered void (I apologized because I hate to think my decline form didn't go through--makes me feel so rude!). So I would assume the waitlist will hopefully start moving tomorrow or the next day!! ❤️

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Waitlist is moving! I was just pulled and will be accepting my seat (so excited!!)

They gave until Thursday morning to respond so it should be a pretty quick turnover

• Love
Reactions: 19 users