I am in this weird situation and could use some insight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baselineconfusion

Reaction score
Ok so, I got into three really good schools: Rocky Vista (CO), Des Moines, and Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM). I originally committed to Rocky Vista and even have a lease set up with a couple of medical students to attend that school in the fall. However, this past week, I got accepted into both Des Moines and TCOM (off of the waitlists) and am reconsidering everything. The reason I am reconsidering is the fact that 1) Des Moines is really established and even though Rocky Vista has been doing great things in terms of match rates and exam scores, Des Moines has been around the block for a while; 2) TCOM tuition is 22,000 per year (I am a resident of TX).

These are three really good DO schools, but is it smart to go to the one that is significantly cheaper than the others. Rocky Vista and Des Moines are both 240,000 in tuition (I will be taking out loans obviously, but I am paying rent with my own money), and TCOM is 88,000 in tuition. Like if TCOM was 200,000 or so, I would not have that much of a tough time, but the tuition difference is substantial. I understand that as long as I do good in school, have good exam scores, good letters of rec, etc., I can get matched into really good residency programs so the medical school would not matter in hindsight, but it is hard to ignore the 88,000 tuition. Or am I just overthinking this first world problem and should just go to the significantly cheaper, and yet really good and established, medical school in TCOM.

Please help provide any insights you have.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to the solid program that is significantly cheaper and much closer to your support system. Congrats on having first-world problems.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
TCOM for sure. You live in Texas? No brainer. They have a great program.

Reactions: 1 user
TCOM for sure. You live in Texas? No brainer. They have a great program.
Yea I live in Texas but I moved around a lot and like I wouldn't really care if I left and went elsewhere. I just can't get over how cheap it is for in-state residents, which is what I thankfully am. Thanks!

TCOM even if you have to pay 2 leases (not sure how breaking a sublease works).

The math works out

Reactions: 1 users