Harvard (no aid) vs. U of MN (some aid)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrickyGuava

Reaction score
I'm currently trying to decide between Harvard, who has offered me absolutely no aid, and the U of Minnesota, which has offered me some merit aid. Total COA for Harvard would be 440k, and the U of MN would be around 210k.

I don't know if I want to be a "research powerhouse", and I'm worried that I will not be able to take advantage of what Harvard has to offer. I don't want to get into a crazy competitive specialty, and I don't particularly plan on going into policy. Given this, the U of MN seems like a strong candidate due to the aid amount. On the other hand, the Harvard name does have some weight - I'm just not sure it's worth the money.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats!! This is such a tough choice. In a similar position (re: HMS v. much cheaper and less prestigious school) and really struggling with the decision. Will you be able to attend SLW for both or either of them?

Congrats!! This is such a tough choice. In a similar position (re: HMS v. much cheaper and less prestigious school) and really struggling with the decision. Will you be able to attend SLW for both or either of them?
Funnily enough, I'm unable to attend either SLW, so I'm a little out of luck 😭😭

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry:/ Please take my thoughts with a grain of salt, since I am just a pre-med in the same position as you, but, it seems to me like U of MN might be the better choice for you given your career goals. Where do you think you'll be happiest, and what is it that is pulling you to Harvard despite double the price tag? These are questions I've been asking myself and they're surprisingly tough to answer lol

Maybe this is a very naive take. as I am not too familiar with both of these schools. But I feel like based on the cost difference at times can be a more important factor based on weight for schools. It is hard to find schools with a name as heavy as Harvard. Personally, I wouldn't think twice about it, I feel the weight, opportunity. and doors that come with that name is worth the extra 200k.

Reactions: 4 users
I think it might be worth holding out till FAFSA rolls around. See what they can offer you and hopefully Harvard can give you some funds

Reactions: 1 users
If you don't want to go into a highly competitive specialty, I think it's worth is to save the money and go to UMN unless other important factors would change things for you (like having family/support system near Boston)

Reactions: 1 users
I took on a lot of debt to go to Harvard vs. other less-expensive schools, and it was a huge mistake. Based on everything you've said, I don't see a single reason for you to choose Harvard. I promise you that lay prestige isn't worth $230,000. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.

Reactions: 3 users
The Havad name and connections may be worth the price of admissions if you are shooting for the stars.

Reactions: 2 users
Personally, after being an attending-HMS is admittedly pretty cool, but it doesn't erase debt on its own. Boston is a very expensive place to live. Medicine is increasingly more challenging to practice in, and it is blind to what school you go to. No doctor gets paid more because they went to HMS over a state school for example.

I think for me, I would just relish in the idea that I had an acceptance to HMS but had the ability to turn it down. But hey, thats my two cents.

Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the fence, as a practicing physician. I care about putting food on the table in an expensive city to live in and being there for my family as well. These priorities are admittedly not often the case for the premed in their early/mid 20s.

If you don't want to go into a highly competitive specialty, I think it's worth is to save the money and go to UMN unless other important factors would change things for you (like having family/support system near Boston)
You can get into a highly competitive specialty with similar effort from both schools to be fair. Going to Harvard will def make many things easier. But that cost of living and attendance for Harvard will be tough regardless of what career they take after med school.