For you Dead Fans out there...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We have talked about this.

Comes a Time from 5/21/77 is just the best. What is not to like. It is simply better than anything else that circulates on the airwaves. better than Katy Perry. Better than the Rolling Stones. Better than Post Malone. Better than Placido Domingo.

It's simply the best.
Yep. That's a great version. The vocals sound near studio perfect and the soloing just bobs, weaves, jumps, dives and slithers back and forth magically throughout the song, building at the end. Definitely better than Post Malone (although he has some great songs). It's hard to compare with the Stones since what they and the Dead do are totally different. Definitely better than 99.9% (maybe 100%) of what the Stones have done.

I'm listening to the whole Spring '77 tour right now, so I'll be at 5/21 soon. Today is 5/17/77.

Members don't see this ad.

Bitches_brew.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
“Port of Amsterdam” - David Bowie (Jacques Brel cover; the original is incredible, though not in English).

Members don't see this ad :)
Birdstrike and others....

A nice little Eyes of The World from a relatively unheralded concert in 1977. 10/6/77 from Activity Center, ASU, AZ. I was just listening to this show in the background...not paying much attention to it...and I said to myself near the end of Eyes "wow...this is a really nice version!" And my wife said the same thing too.

Check it out!

Birdstrike and others....

A nice little Eyes of The World from a relatively unheralded concert in 1977. 10/6/77 from Activity Center, ASU, AZ. I was just listening to this show in the background...not paying much attention to it...and I said to myself near the end of Eyes "wow...this is a really nice version!" And my wife said the same thing too.

Check it out!
Will do. Happy New Year!

I wish someone would compile a "Best Of" for various epochs in the history of the Dead. For instance, what are considered the top 3 (or 5) Dark Stars and Other Ones for Europe 72, Sept / Oct 72, November 73, best Scarlet > Fire for 77, stuff like that.

I'm listening to 4/24/72 Dark Star which comes in at a WHOPPING 40 minutes. Just making me think.

Last edited:
I wish someone would compile a "Best Of" for various epochs in the history of the Dead. For instance, what are considered the top 3 (or 5) Dark Stars and Other Ones for Europe 72, Sept / Oct 72, November 73, best Scarlet > Fire for 77, stuff like that.

I'm listening to 4/24/72 Dark Star which comes in at a WHOPPING 40 minutes. Just making me think.
You could go song by song on Headyversions.com and use that as a start? Just take the top 10 and order them by era, subtracting/adding as needed, of course.

This is perhaps Keith at his finest?

The Eyes from 9/8/73
Yes. Quite good. That's Dave's 38 and he's playing a Fender Rhoades electric piano (I think). I listened to that not too long ago (and the Eyes, again just now). It's great stuff. Really, if you take a stab anywhere between '72-'74, if you can hear Keith, it's exceptional, savant-type playing. I love, love, his acoustic piano playing during that era. Even during '71, and '75-'76, he's very good. His playing in '77 is hit or miss. '78-'79 if he's not asleep, his playing is either elementary, or it sounds like he's banging big Frankenstein fists on the keys.

Edit: I heard that Keith solo at the end came while Jerry broke a string and couldn’t play for a bit. Phil had already soloed a bit, mid song.

Last edited:
Sugaree

11/13/76, Humboldt State University

Jerry Garcia Band, Garcia Live, Vol. 17

Very nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man, this guy almost owes royalties to The Dead for this song, and I think the title may even be a nod to that fact.

On the Nose

Yeah...Not bad. Blind Melon is another band I always thought sounded a little bit like the Dead.

Took my wife out for Italian food last night for an early V-Tines diner. It was her favorite Italian joint in town, not the most expensive place we eat at. Sort of mid-priced, but the food is incredible. They had a guy playing the according. lol, cheesy as hell, I know, but it fit the vibe. All of a sudden I recognize what he's playing. It's Ripple, by the Dead! I couldn't believe it. We talked on the way out the door and it turns out he's a huge Deadhead and went to Dead and Company recently. He looked about 60, so, the real deal. I told him next time he's guy to play Dark Star! He laughed. Can you imagine someone trying to play a 30 min Dark Star on an accordion? Lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Today, listened to Fillmore West '69

Good time, rockin' rollin' psychedelic Dead

I really like this Sugar Mags from 3/16/90 at Capital Centre. As much energy as you need.

Track 19

Listening to Believe It or Not,

Copps Coliseum, 3/22/90

Rare

Why don't I remember this song? Have I never heard it before or did I just skip past it? I don't know. But nice to find a "new" Dead song. New to me, anyways.

I've never heard of it either. whitegum.com tole me that it was a ballad sung live only 6 times. I'm listening to it right now.

I'm listening to 3/22/90...West LA Fadeaway is some good stuff. I don't often listen to Spring 1990 but it's probably the best they have ever been in the 90's

I'm listening to 3/22/90...West LA Fadeaway is some good stuff. I don't often listen to Spring 1990 but it's probably the best they have ever been in the 90's
I’m hitting 3/22 also. Great WLAF. Excellent Scar>Fire. Nice Sugar Mags & Baby Blue. Some stinkers, though (Easy, Picasso).

3/22 Baby Blue!

Check this one out, @thegenius. 3/22/90. Great version! Jerry's voice hold it together throughout and there's some serious, silky, smooth guitar licks played by Captain Tripps, on this one. Don't doubt me.

Officially released, for a very good reason. A classic!

Terrapin Station>Mind Left Body Jam

3/24/90 at the Knick

So, so, good.

Incredible touch with the Stella Blue, from 3/24/90

One of the few songs that I don't think Jerry fully lived in, until these years. A song about a ragged, blues man and his guitar at the end of the line. Early Stella Blue's were more like predictions about looking into the past, or predicting the future (Jerry's). 1990's Stella Blue, Jerry becomes the song.

The genius of Robert Hunter. The genius of Jerry Garcia. The genius of the Grateful Dead.

"A broken angel sings
From a guitar
In the end there's just a song
Comes crying like the wind
Through all the broken dreams
And vanished years"

[IMG]

One of the songs that songs great sometimes, with Jerry's voice weary, weathered and war torn. Big thumbs up to Brokedown Palace, 3/26/90.

Hypnotizing.

Listen: Track 20.

3/29/90 Eyes of the World (feat. Branford Marsalis)

Marvelous.

[IMG]

(Album: Wake up to Find Out: Nassau Coliseum)

And It Stoned Me

August 29, 1987

Jerry Garcia Band

So sweet …

Looks like the Dead thread, is Dead. But I live on! So…

Listening to

The System

1/23/73

Jerry Garcia & Merl Saunders

GREAT jam!

Garcia-Live-Volume-12.jpg

So fookin' good. The whole thing. Proof it's great to be alive.

Right now: My Funny Valentine (unfreeking believable soloing by Jerry and free-form jamming by the band). Love it!

Keystone Companions: The Complete 1973 Fantasy Recordings

PLAY AT MAXIMUM VOLUME

[IMG]

Checking out the new thrash metal album by the Foo Fighters. Yep, you read that right.

Thrash metal

Foo Fighters

Dream Widow

[IMG]
@thegenius

Sometimes I get sad. Right now is one of those times. When I'm sad I listen to

and

and

S***t makes me happy. It just does. Not a single prescription drug is better than this stuff. It should be packaged as it's own SSRI.

Didn’t know this was a thread… So happy we’re out there in medicine

Sometimes I get sad. Right now is one of those times. When I'm sad I listen to

and

and

S***t makes me happy. It just does. Not a single prescription drug is better than this stuff. It should be packaged as it's own SSRI.

Incredible choices, yes. After listening to all of Europe ‘72, all of Spring ‘90, I’m now listening to all of Spring ‘73 (at someone’s recommendation). All, so good, in different ways.

Reactions: 1 users
"Headyversion and UJB"

I like Headyversion.com and think many of the rankings of best versions of songs are more-or-less correct. However I take issue with the Uncle John's Band rankings:

How in the world did 9/18/74 become the best of all time?!?!?!?!?!?!?
12/26/79 might be OK...but it's got that crappy tinkerbell synth crap that Keith moved to. Plus the recording is kind of high pitched. Not enough bass. This song KICKS IT when you hear the bass near the end.

I got on the UJB kick when I started auto air-drumming after 5/9/77.

"Holy cow" I was musing. "This **** is good!" I'm not even really into this song all that much.

Turns out the 1977 versions are mad dope. Perhaps, although unclear at time of this posting, 3/19/1977 is even better. 5/19/77 causes teeth chattering. I can't get enough of them. So I went to Headyversion and there's all this other crap like Paris 1974?

Why can't we package The Dead into a syringe and inject it IVP into patients suffering from a variety of different maladies. I'm tellin' ya...there has to be therapeutic benefit for some medical problems.

Kidney stones? I mean what's the harm? Randomize patients to (toradol 15 mg IVP) vs (toradol 15 mg IVP + grateful dead 100 mg IVP).

Work notes? How about we hand out DP Vol 12 instead.

• Haha
"Headyversion and UJB"

I like Headyversion.com and think many of the rankings of best versions of songs are more-or-less correct. However I take issue with the Uncle John's Band rankings:

How in the world did 9/18/74 become the best of all time?!?!?!?!?!?!?
12/26/79 might be OK...but it's got that crappy tinkerbell synth crap that Keith moved to. Plus the recording is kind of high pitched. Not enough bass. This song KICKS IT when you hear the bass near the end.

I got on the UJB kick when I started auto air-drumming after 5/9/77.

"Holy cow" I was musing. "This **** is good!" I'm not even really into this song all that much.

Turns out the 1977 versions are mad dope. Perhaps, although unclear at time of this posting, 3/19/1977 is even better. 5/19/77 causes teeth chattering. I can't get enough of them. So I went to Headyversion and there's all this other crap like Paris 1974?

Why can't we package The Dead into a syringe and inject it IVP into patients suffering from a variety of different maladies. I'm tellin' ya...there has to be therapeutic benefit for some medical problems.

Kidney stones? I mean what's the harm? Randomize patients to (toradol 15 mg IVP) vs (toradol 15 mg IVP + grateful dead 100 mg IVP).

Work notes? How about we hand out DP Vol 12 instead.
Yes, headyversion is helpful, but there are some head scratchers in there. Songs from officially released shows are overrepresented. Also, songs from "popular years" also are overrated. Shows with guest features get a false boost, too. Like, do it need one more Dead show with a horn player?

Example: Someone on the Grateful Thread on the S Hoffman forum turned me onto Jerry's guitar playing in '85. Sure, some of those shows sucked and some of them featured Jerry's voice being blown. But there are shows in there where his guitar playing is truly sick. For some reason, it gets better, faster, more aggressive there in '85, before it totally changes, mellows out and becomes more...I don't know...pleasing, and agreeable.

But, yes, you need to formulate an elixir to pass this along, because the healing properties have got to be there. I'm convinced.

Yes, headyversion is helpful, but there are some head scratchers in there. Songs from officially released shows are overrepresented. Also, songs from "popular years" also are overrated. Shows with guest features get a false boost, too. Like, do it need one more Dead show with a horn player?

Example: Someone on the Grateful Thread on the S Hoffman forum turned me onto Jerry's guitar playing in '85. Sure, some of those shows sucked and some of them featured Jerry's voice being blown. But there are shows in there where his guitar playing is truly sick. For some reason, it gets better, faster, more aggressive there in '85, before it totally changes, mellows out and becomes more...I don't know...pleasing, and agreeable.

But, yes, you need to formulate an elixir to pass this along, because the healing properties have got to be there. I'm convinced.

You can't miss with any of these UJB's:

Holy s*@$#^@%#
3/19/77 UJB JUST JAMS NEAR THE END.

Don't be doing a spinal tap Birdstrike while listening to this....you might just jiggle it past the vertebra and into Big Red

• Haha
Holy s*@$#^@%#
3/19/77 UJB JUST JAMS NEAR THE END.

Don't be doing a spinal tap Birdstrike while listening to this....you might just jiggle it past the vertebra and into Big Red
3/19/77 UJB

It starts out with Jerry and Keith doing a mellow jam duel. Then, Keith mesmerizes with the ongoing piano riff until Jerry launches. Then a hard jam at the end. Truly great. I also like the backwards UJB, which you mentioned (5/19/77). Super cool. All the old acoustic versions are amazing, also. I fell in love with the studio version, first. It's one of the first Dead tracks I heard as a kid and it's damn near perfect. Or at least as perfect as the Dead every got. Which is never (or often) depending on who you ask or the moment you ask it.

P.S. Today on my daily run, I'm going to listen to 3/22/73. Next run (or two) will be 3/24 (which is Dave's 32).

I've been listening to 3/31/73 at War Memorial the past few days. Along with being super top shape '73 Dead from start to finish, there is a very interesting He's Gone>Truckin'>
Jam>Drums>The Other One> Jam>I Know You Rider sequence. Not only is it a fairly rare standalone Rider without China Cat there are some Spanish-jam and Feelin' Groovy-jam moments sprinkled in there. (There might even be a little China Cat tease in there, in the jam section?)

I'm not surprised they released two full shows from this 3/15/73-4/15/73 segment of tour. It's worth checking out this 3/31/73 show, or at least the second set.