For you Dead Fans out there...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This shhit is good
Yep. The Garcia/Saunders stuff is probably my favorite Jerry solo stuff. That and Legion of Mary. Garcia/Wales is excellent too, especially the live one (Side Trips, Vol. 1).

Members don't see this ad.

Listening to 11/5/77 (DiP 34) today and I forgot how much I love this show. Great Halfstep. Great Eyes. And a lot of reallygoodness all around.

@thegenius

Good new one from these guys:

Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava

1668716157043.jpeg

@thegenius @WilcoWorld

Members don't see this ad :)
Not RUSH but they way they play progressive rock, Rush is a pretty good comparison. Except these guys are a lot weirder.

Last edited:
I have never been much for Drums/Space, since I I listen to music while running, so it helps to have at least some beat and structure, to move to. I usually skip it. But I'm sitting here listening to Infrared Roses, from start to finish, for the first time. It's really cool. It's certainly not music. But it is very cool.

Grateful_Dead_-_Infrared_Roses.jpg

The ER problems are turning and it can't slow down,
It can't let go and it can't hold on,
It can't go back and it can't stand still,
If the thunder don't get ya then the lightning will.

Won't you try just a little bit harder,
Couldn't you try just a little bit more?

Round, round robin run round, got to get back to where you belong,
Little bit harder, just a little bit more,
A little bit further than you gone before.

ER shiit is turning and it can't slow down,
You can't let go and you can't hold on,
You can't go back and you can't stand still,
If the ER crap don't get you then the ER shiit will.

Small wheel turn by the fire and rod,
Big wheel turn by the grace of God,
Every time you try to do good,
Bound to get disappointed every single time!

The ER shiiiit is turning and it can't slow down,
If the ER shiiiit don't get you then the CMGs will!

The ER problems are turning and it can't slow down,
It can't let go and it can't hold on,
It can't go back and it can't stand still,
If the thunder don't get ya then the lightning will.

Round, round robin run round, got to get back to where you belong,
Little bit harder, just a little bit more,
A little bit further than you gone before.

ER shiit is turning and it can't slow down,
If the ER crap don't get you then the ER shiit will.

Small wheel turn by the fire and rod,
Big wheel turn by the grace of God,
Every time you try to do good,
Bound to get disappointed every single time!

The ER shiiiit is turning and it can't slow down,
If the ER shiiiit don't get you then the CMGs will!
Yeah! The ER Wheel spins round and round! haha

Reactions: 1 user
@thegenius The album Garcia, that that's from, is great. It's 100% Jerry (all guitars, bass, piano and vocals) and Kreutzman. But it's great.

Who Knows - Live

PLAY AT MAXIMUM VOLUME

1670547194922.png

Never heard of this band until yesterday. But if you like blues-rock-stomp, garage rock that sounds like it could have been dragged out of a dark dirty alley in the 1970's, check out For The Love of the Game, by Natural Child. Highlight song: Ain't Gonna Stop, and 8 AM Blues

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah KGLW, those guys are bonkers!
They really are. I started listening to them recently and the more I listen to them, the less I've got them figured out. I find their music interesting, but it's so varied, I just can't wrap my brain around it quite yet.

They really are. I started listening to them recently and the more I listen to them, the less I've got them figured out. I find their music interesting, but it's so varied, I just can't wrap my brain around it quite yet.
How is it humanly possible to maintain their output? They put out records more often than an opiate addict takes a dump.

• Haha
How is it humanly possible to maintain their output? They put out records more often than an opiate addict takes a dump.
Seriously. And each one, whether you like them or not, are well thought out. It's not like they're just touring and releasing a million live recordings. They're actually writing and recording, in some cases, quite complex albums; at least by the standards of popular (non-jazz, non-classical) music.

Wait..aren’t they constipated all the time? What am I missing here
They’d like you to think that. But between actually fixes, they’re in low supply while in withdrawal, having frequent GI explosions. Think Bubbles, from The Wire.

Wait..aren’t they constipated all the time? What am I missing here
I meant, if an addict poops every two weeks, and KGLW is putting out new records more often than that...it's impressive!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I know most here are partial to the live recordings, but I'm an avid record collector. Garcia's solo debut is tough to come by on wax, and while I was visiting out of town friends last week I went record shopping (I do this every time I visit a city - great way to find cool people in cool neighborhoods) and I found a nice copy of Garcia. Damn, it's good.

I know most here are partial to the live recordings, but I'm an avid record collector. Garcia's solo debut is tough to come by on wax, and while I was visiting out of town friends last week I went record shopping (I do this every time I visit a city - great way to find cool people in cool neighborhoods) and I found a nice copy of Garcia. Damn, it's good.
It depends. Garcia is a great studio album. So are American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. In The Dark is exceptionally recorded and performed, also. On the other hand, something like Dark Star, which is barely over 2 1/2 minutes on record, just isn't the same as the exploratory live versions.

not sure how this relates to The Dead, but I'm here for it!

Listening to Althea from 3/9/81 at Madison Square Garden. Groovy stuff.

This matrix is an incredible blend of a crystal clear soundboard and just enough crowd: 3/9/81

Listening to Cold Rain and Snow, 3/26/87 (Charlie Miller, Ultra Matrix SBD) on archive. Such a good vibe and perfect blend of soundboard and crowd.

That is amazing. I had the chance to see the Dead many times in my life and chose not to, I never had the chance to see the Sex Pistols, and still regret that.

I didn't get the specific time, but Sid seems to have gone topless before they finished GSTQ.

This band was dysfunctional as f***, and you can argue the manufactured nature of the music and the band until the cows come home. But they played with such phenomenal passion that it's no wonder they're still getting new fans 45 years later (not unlike the Dead).

That is amazing. I had the chance to see the Dead many times in my life and chose not to, I never had the chance to see the Sex Pistols, and still regret that.

I didn't get the specific time, but Sid seems to have gone topless before they finished GSTQ.

This band was dysfunctional as f***, and you can argue the manufactured nature of the music and the band until the cows come home. But they played with such phenomenal passion that it's no wonder they're still getting new fans 45 years later (not unlike the Dead).
Amen. I had always heard they played horrifically bad at live shows but never had seen them live or even much video. But I was surprised at how they sounded at this show, while raw, was better than I expected. What a tragically great little mess of a band.

Well, you (the general "you") really didn't get a chance to see them, anyhow. Recall they got into the RnR Hall of Fame on one album only. Their "flash in the pan" was really that brief.

And, recall that Steve Jones used the money he made - for guitar lessons!

• Haha
Made a playlist of J.J. Cale greatest hits, covers of J.J. Cale songs (Eric Clapton & Friends - The Breeze) and Road to Escondido (JJ Cale & Eric Clapton). Great, mellow, laid-back groovie stuff.

clapton-cale-01.jpg

I'm currently taking care of a 66 F that had a GLF and a mildly displaced Colle's fracture.

"So how did it happen?"
"I was dancing and I fell. It was a good concert, I enjoyed it".
Husband says "Yea it was a Grateful Dead cover band. It was great!"
He proceeds to show me his Jerry Garcia T-shirt.
I then show him my Grateful Dead socks that I wear every shift. (Not the same ones silly..I rotate through about 5 of them.)

So as I'm explaining to her the fracture, she is clearly nervous about the hematoma block. "I'm a sissy when it comes to needles."

I quip "I think you need some calming music. How about Bird Song? You like that song?"
"OH YES I DO!"

I bring out my portable bluetooth speaker, bust out Relisten and play 6/22/73 Bird Song as I numb her wrist.
her eyes are closed as she is going to a better place. She is having a hard time handling the reality of a needle going into her wrist.
"Don't cry now..." she she says
"Don't you cry anymore, la la la laaaaa"

Successful hematoma block. I'm yanking on her wrist with little discomfort.

"Time for me to bust out the good stuff while we hang your wrist."
"What is that doc?"
"Dark Star 11/11/73"

I put that on and she is in bliss.
It's better than putting her down the K-hole. (although admittedly the K-hole PLUS Dark Star would have sent her to a quasar 50 light years away).

She was extraordinarily grateful for the entire experience.

Therapeutic Grateful Dead!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm currently taking care of a 66 F that had a GLF and a mildly displaced Colle's fracture.

"So how did it happen?"
"I was dancing and I fell. It was a good concert, I enjoyed it".
Husband says "Yea it was a Grateful Dead cover band. It was great!"
He proceeds to show me his Jerry Garcia T-shirt.
I then show him my Grateful Dead socks that I wear every shift. (Not the same ones silly..I rotate through about 5 of them.)

So as I'm explaining to her fracture, she is clearly nervous about the hematoma block. "I'm a sissy when it comes to needles."

I quip "I think you need some calming music. How about Bird Song? You like that song?"
"OH YES I DO!"

I bring out my portable bluetooth speaker, bust out Relisten and play 6/22/73 Bird Song as I numb her wrist.
her eyes are closed as she is going to a better place. She is having a hard time handling the reality of a needle going into her wrist.
"Don't cry now..." she she says
"Don't you cry anymore, la la la laaaaa"

Successful hematoma block. I'm yanking on her wrist with little discomfort.

"Time for me to bust out the good stuff while we hang your wrist."
"What is that doc?"
"Dark Star 11/11/73"

I put that on and she is in bliss.
It's better than putting her down the K-hole. (although admittedly the K-hole PLUS Dark Star would have sent her to a quasar 50 light years away).

She was extraordinarily grateful for the entire experience.

Therapeutic Grateful Dead!
This post made me smile.

A chatgpt discourse about the grateful dead:

Me: Pick a random 1972 through 1977 live grateful dead concert with excellent soundboard quality
Answer: One great Grateful Dead concert from that time period with excellent soundboard quality is the May 8, 1977 show at Barton Hall, Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. This concert is widely considered to be one of the best shows the Grateful Dead ever performed, and it has been released as a commercial album titled "Cornell 5/8/77". The soundboard recording of this concert is excellent and captures the band's energy and improvisation in great detail.

Me: Pick another
Answer: (it thought for about 15 seconds)... "Another great Grateful Dead concert from that time period with excellent soundboard quality is the May 9, 1977 show at the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo, New York. This concert is also highly regarded by fans and has been released as a commercial album titled "May 1977: Get Shown the Light". The soundboard recording of this concert is excellent"

Me: pick another that is not May 1977 since I'm quite familiar with that month
Answer: Sure! Another great Grateful Dead concert from that time period with excellent soundboard quality is the June 9, 1976 show at the Boston Music Hall in Boston, Massachusetts. This concert has been praised for its tight playing and great song selection, and it features several standout performances including a beautiful "Crazy Fingers" and an energetic "Samson and Delilah." The soundboard recording of this concert is also excellent and provides a clear and detailed listening experience.

Me: Are you sure, chatgpt, I will like that show? 1976 can be a little slow, right?
Answer: While it is true that some fans consider 1976 to be a relatively mellow year for the Grateful Dead, the June 9, 1976 show at the Boston Music Hall is widely regarded as one of the band's best performances from that year. It features a great mix of both mellow and upbeat songs, and the band's playing is particularly tight and focused throughout the show.

That being said, everyone has their own personal taste in music, and what one person considers to be a great Grateful Dead concert may not be to another person's liking. If you prefer the more high-energy and improvisational side of the band, you may want to check out some of their shows from 1977 or 1972, as those years are generally considered to be peak periods for the band's live performances.

Me: chatgpt, what is YOUR favorite grateful dead year? Please be honest.
Answer: As an AI language model, I do not have personal preferences or emotions like humans do, so I don't have a favorite year for Grateful Dead concerts. However, I can tell you that many fans and critics consider the band's live performances in the early 1970s, particularly 1972 and 1977, to be among their best. These years are known for their adventurous improvisation, tight playing, and diverse setlists that included a mix of blues, country, folk, and rock influences. However, every year of the Grateful Dead's live performances has its own unique qualities and memorable moments, so there is no one "best" year for everyone.

Me: Why is it that I love songs like Wharf Rat, Bird Song, Comes A Time, Playin' In the Band, Dark Star, The Other One, West L.A. Fadeaway so much? And why do I cringe when I listen hear Ramble On Rose? I can't wait for it to end.
Answer: Music preference is a very personal thing and can be influenced by many factors, including your individual taste, background, and experiences. It's natural to have certain songs that resonate with you more than others, and it's also normal to have songs that you don't enjoy as much.

Regarding your specific examples, it's possible that you enjoy the songs you listed (Wharf Rat, Bird Song, Comes A Time, Playin' In the Band, Dark Star, The Other One, West L.A. Fadeaway) because they feature elements that you find particularly appealing, such as strong melodies, interesting chord progressions, or intricate instrumentation. These songs are also generally considered to be fan favorites and have been performed frequently by the Grateful Dead over the years, so it's possible that you have been exposed to them more than other songs in the band's catalog.

As for why you cringe when you hear Ramble On Rose, it could be that something about the song's melody, lyrics, or arrangement doesn't resonate with you as much as the other songs you listed. Again, music preference is subjective and what one person loves, another may not enjoy as much. It's perfectly okay to have different opinions about music and to enjoy certain songs more than others.

Me: can you be less verbose?
Answer: Sure, in short, people have different tastes in music and you might prefer songs that have melodies, chord progressions, or instrumentation that you find appealing. On the other hand, you might not enjoy other songs because something about them doesn't resonate with you as much. That's normal and it's okay to have different opinions about music.

Me: That response was too verbose
Answer: Apologies for the verbose response earlier. To put it simply, people have different tastes in music and it's okay to enjoy some songs more than others.

Me: I will not accept an apology until you give me a one sentence reply in under 10 words to my last question
Answer: Okay, here it is: Different music preferences, it's okay.

Me: Ok now...gimme me a special concert, not well known, that you think I would like based on our conversation. Don't mess up. I'm judging you on your response.
Answer: Based on our conversation, I would recommend checking out the August 27, 1972 show at the Old Renaissance Faire Grounds in Veneta, Oregon (also known as "Sunshine Daydream"). This show is well-regarded by fans for its excellent performance, tight improvisation, and unique setlist, which includes a number of standout performances such as a 40-minute version of "Dark Star" and a beautiful rendition of "Bird Song." The sound quality of the recording is also quite good, making it a great listen for fans of the Grateful Dead's live performances.

Me: CHATGPT, YOU ARE NOT LISTENING. OR READING. I want a super low-verbose answer of a unfamous excellent soundboard quality show between 1972 and 1977. if I don't get a good response, do I have to use another AI engine?
Answer: Apologies for misunderstanding your previous message. Here's a concise answer: For an excellent but relatively unknown soundboard quality show between 1972 and 1977, I would recommend the May 19, 1974 concert at the Portland Memorial Coliseum in Portland, Oregon. The show features great performances of "Eyes of the World," "China Cat Sunflower," and "Sugar Magnolia," among others, and the sound quality of the soundboard recording is superb.

Me: FABULOUS RECOMMENDATION!!!
Answer: Glad to hear that you're happy with my recommendation! Enjoy the show!

Last edited:
A chatgpt discourse about the grateful dead:

Me: Pick a random 1972 through 1977 live grateful dead concert with excellent soundboard quality
Answer: One great Grateful Dead concert from that time period with excellent soundboard quality is the May 8, 1977 show at Barton Hall, Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. This concert is widely considered to be one of the best shows the Grateful Dead ever performed, and it has been released as a commercial album titled "Cornell 5/8/77". The soundboard recording of this concert is excellent and captures the band's energy and improvisation in great detail.

Me: Pick another
Answer: (it thought for about 15 seconds)... "Another great Grateful Dead concert from that time period with excellent soundboard quality is the May 9, 1977 show at the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo, New York. This concert is also highly regarded by fans and has been released as a commercial album titled "May 1977: Get Shown the Light". The soundboard recording of this concert is excellent"

Me: pick another that is not May 1977 since I'm quite familiar with that month
Answer: Sure! Another great Grateful Dead concert from that time period with excellent soundboard quality is the June 9, 1976 show at the Boston Music Hall in Boston, Massachusetts. This concert has been praised for its tight playing and great song selection, and it features several standout performances including a beautiful "Crazy Fingers" and an energetic "Samson and Delilah." The soundboard recording of this concert is also excellent and provides a clear and detailed listening experience.

Me: Are you sure, chatgpt, I will like that show? 1976 can be a little slow, right?
Answer: While it is true that some fans consider 1976 to be a relatively mellow year for the Grateful Dead, the June 9, 1976 show at the Boston Music Hall is widely regarded as one of the band's best performances from that year. It features a great mix of both mellow and upbeat songs, and the band's playing is particularly tight and focused throughout the show.

That being said, everyone has their own personal taste in music, and what one person considers to be a great Grateful Dead concert may not be to another person's liking. If you prefer the more high-energy and improvisational side of the band, you may want to check out some of their shows from 1977 or 1972, as those years are generally considered to be peak periods for the band's live performances.

Me: chatgpt, what is YOUR favorite grateful dead year? Please be honest.
Answer: As an AI language model, I do not have personal preferences or emotions like humans do, so I don't have a favorite year for Grateful Dead concerts. However, I can tell you that many fans and critics consider the band's live performances in the early 1970s, particularly 1972 and 1977, to be among their best. These years are known for their adventurous improvisation, tight playing, and diverse setlists that included a mix of blues, country, folk, and rock influences. However, every year of the Grateful Dead's live performances has its own unique qualities and memorable moments, so there is no one "best" year for everyone.

Me: Why is it that I love songs like Wharf Rat, Bird Song, Comes A Time, Playin' In the Band, Dark Star, The Other One, West L.A. Fadeaway so much? And why do I cringe when I listen hear Ramble On Rose? I can't wait for it to end.
Answer: Music preference is a very personal thing and can be influenced by many factors, including your individual taste, background, and experiences. It's natural to have certain songs that resonate with you more than others, and it's also normal to have songs that you don't enjoy as much.

Regarding your specific examples, it's possible that you enjoy the songs you listed (Wharf Rat, Bird Song, Comes A Time, Playin' In the Band, Dark Star, The Other One, West L.A. Fadeaway) because they feature elements that you find particularly appealing, such as strong melodies, interesting chord progressions, or intricate instrumentation. These songs are also generally considered to be fan favorites and have been performed frequently by the Grateful Dead over the years, so it's possible that you have been exposed to them more than other songs in the band's catalog.

As for why you cringe when you hear Ramble On Rose, it could be that something about the song's melody, lyrics, or arrangement doesn't resonate with you as much as the other songs you listed. Again, music preference is subjective and what one person loves, another may not enjoy as much. It's perfectly okay to have different opinions about music and to enjoy certain songs more than others.

Me: can you be less verbose?
Answer: Sure, in short, people have different tastes in music and you might prefer songs that have melodies, chord progressions, or instrumentation that you find appealing. On the other hand, you might not enjoy other songs because something about them doesn't resonate with you as much. That's normal and it's okay to have different opinions about music.

Me: That response was too verbose
Answer: Apologies for the verbose response earlier. To put it simply, people have different tastes in music and it's okay to enjoy some songs more than others.

Me: I will not accept an apology until you give me a one sentence reply in under 10 words to my last question
Answer: Okay, here it is: Different music preferences, it's okay.

Me: Ok now...gimme me a special concert, not well known, that you think I would like based on our conversation. Don't mess up. I'm judging you on your response.
Answer: Based on our conversation, I would recommend checking out the August 27, 1972 show at the Old Renaissance Faire Grounds in Veneta, Oregon (also known as "Sunshine Daydream"). This show is well-regarded by fans for its excellent performance, tight improvisation, and unique setlist, which includes a number of standout performances such as a 40-minute version of "Dark Star" and a beautiful rendition of "Bird Song." The sound quality of the recording is also quite good, making it a great listen for fans of the Grateful Dead's live performances.

Me: CHATGPT, YOU ARE NOT LISTENING. OR READING. I want a super low-verbose answer of a unfamous excellent soundboard quality show between 1972 and 1977. if I don't get a good response, do I have to use another AI engine?
Answer:
Apologies for misunderstanding your previous message. Here's a concise answer: For an excellent but relatively unknown soundboard quality show between 1972 and 1977, I would recommend the May 19, 1974 concert at the Portland Memorial Coliseum in Portland, Oregon. The show features great performances of "Eyes of the World," "China Cat Sunflower," and "Sugar Magnolia," among others, and the sound quality of the soundboard recording is superb.

Me: FABULOUS RECOMMENDATION!!!
Answer: Glad to hear that you're happy with my recommendation! Enjoy the show!
Y u give computer hard time??

• Haha
Discovered a great resource for Dead jams and compilations. it's the youtube channel by GraphiteJ

He splices together just the jams of various epochs of songs and years. Like PITB Late 72, Truckin early 74, PITB Mid 73, Late 73, Star Jams from late 73, you get the drift. They are each 1-2 hours and I love it. It's why I listen to them. I don't really care for the boring stuff like Me and my uncle, Ramble on Rose, etc. its the jamming and these compilations splice out the singing.

For instance I'm now listening to PITB Late 72 and these guys really exploded those jams then. It's so lovely.

Discovered a great resource for Dead jams and compilations. it's the youtube channel by GraphiteJ

He splices together just the jams of various epochs of songs and years. Like PITB Late 72, Truckin early 74, PITB Mid 73, Late 73, Star Jams from late 73, you get the drift. They are each 1-2 hours and I love it. It's why I listen to them. I don't really care for the boring stuff like Me and my uncle, Ramble on Rose, etc. its the jamming and these compilations splice out the singing.

For instance I'm now listening to PITB Late 72 and these guys really exploded those jams then. It's so lovely.
Wow. I'll have to check that out. You've listened to Grayfolded, right? 2 hours of non-stop, plunderspliced Dark Stars. It’s really well done.

Last edited:
No I have not! Where do I find that. Youtube?

Edit: found it on the Tube.
It sounds like a remix of seastones that is a little more futuristic and organized.

Last edited:
Jerry Garcia and one recently-fired, Deadhead, cable television host. Can you spot him?

1682466706419.jpeg

I can't tell which one it is. According to the last 15 seconds I saw on Twitter, other folks can't ID him, either. One thought it was the guy on the left (Jerry's right), with the "Jay Leno chin". That is who I was leaning towards, although, as I say, I can't tell.

Last edited:
Is that tucker Carlson on the left?
Yes, Tucker Carlson on the left. Apparently, his dad was friends with Jerry Garcia, so Tucker got to meet him. Became big Deadhead, went to 50 shows.