For you Dead Fans out there...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Listening to Late for Supper/Spidergawd/Eep Hour

Garcia - Jerry Garcia

GarciaGarciaCD.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Listening to Tastebud, by Grateful Dead (Complete Studio Rarities Collection). Good, greasy, grimey, rockin' blues deep-cut.

BW_RPM003.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Worth it for the pic collage alone, as well as Pigpen’s dirty, acoustic blues

Reactions: 1 user
The studio version of Blow Away, from Built to Last is a jam. There. I said it.

Play at maximum volume. Bass all the way up.

Listening to 12/10/71 on Spotify. Officially released today. This is basically ‘72, so you’d probably like this one @thegenius .

Holy crap...the manic, frenzied guitar playing by Jerry on this set from 10/22/67 at Winterland, is just phenomenal. Listen to some Jerry from the last 8-9 years then come listen to this. Just...wow. Particularly this very first The Other One.

Jerry crams more guitar-virtuoso, Hendrix-ain't-got-****-on-me guitar hero antics in one bar of this song than he does in some entire shows from their later period. I'll admit it; '67 isn't my favorite Dead year, by any stretch, but this little set from 10/22/67 is just pure fire. It's also supposedly one of Mickey's first shows with the band, although I can't hear him in the mix, at all. The version I'm listening to is the bonus material on the 50th anniversary of Anthem of the Sun.

I prefer these early Other Ones with Cryptical Envelopment in them, too. I don't know why, I just do. The song feels more complete, to me.

Last edited:
Clementine, from 1/26/69 at Avalon Ballroom, is super yummy.

Today, I'm taking a dive into the '71 Capitol Theater run, with 2/21/71. Having just listened to shows from '66, '67 and '69, wow, what a j u m p , to '71. Totally different band! The change hits me in the chest, every time I make that leap. God bless your soul, Robert Hunter (R.I.P.) You were a genius.

Hunter + Garcia = Magic

"I'm a King B E E , momma.
I wantcha to be my Queen.
Gonna wind up your transmission.
'Till your motor won't run no more!"

I'm a King Bee, 2/21/71 Capitol Theater.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, have been listening to the Good ol' Grateful Deadcast. It is tremendous, I started at the beginning and have been loving it. Thanks for the recommendation!
You’re welcome!

4/1/84 Railroad Blues

This is a smokin’, poppin’, foot-tappin’ version.

Nice Friend of the Devil, too.

4/1/84 is a good show. Excellent Help/Slip/Franklin’s

There’s a real good He’s Gone, from 10/20/84 Syracuse, plus a ball buster of a Jack Straw, just out-of-nowhere great. If you want Jerry-fire, you'll get it here.

10/20/84 (DUsborne Matrix)

Holly crap. I just listened to episode 19 of the Good Ol' Grateful Deadcast. They breakdown, and play, the harmony vocals from Brokedown Palace, separately and one by one. I was stunned hearing how good Phil could sign his parts. Wow. He really could hit notes, even high notes, back in the day, before whatever it was that destroyed his vocal cords. Plus, hearing Lesh, Weir and Garcia separately, then hearing them together, allows you to hear (and maybe see) each voice distinctly and clearly as they sign together. What an incredible song.

• Love
Mind-expansion time:

Side Trips: Volume One (Live)
Jerry Garcia & Howard Wales

[IMG]

3/29/84 at Marin County Veterans Auditorium

I was surprised at how solid this show was, when I listened to it. There are very good versions of Bertha, Bird Song, It Must Have Been the Roses, My Brother Esau, Estimated Prophet, Eyes of the World, Spanish Jam, The Other One, Wharf Rat and Sugar Mags.

I really need to get into 1971 more. The recordings are excellent. I'm doing some research on the top ten and posting here, (mainly for posterity and easy access when I need it). Any of you guys have your favorite 1971?

In chronological order
2-18-71
2-19-71
4-5-71
4-28-71
4-29-71
7-2-71
8-6-71
11-7-71
12-6-71
12-10-71
12-14-71
12-31-71

One user I respect on archive.org writes that all of the December 71 shows are brilliant.

I really need to get into 1971 more. The recordings are excellent. I'm doing some research on the top ten and posting here, (mainly for posterity and easy access when I need it). Any of you guys have your favorite 1971?

In chronological order
2-18-71
2-19-71
4-5-71
4-28-71
4-29-71
7-2-71
8-6-71
11-7-71
12-6-71
12-10-71
12-14-71
12-31-71

One user I respect on archive.org writes that all of the December 71 shows are brilliant.
It's impossible to pick one. '71 is like other peak years where you can throw a dart anywhere and you'll get something great. The April Fillmore East run is great (last Alligator 4/29) as is the Manhattan Center (last Easy Wind 4/4). So is the Feb Capitol Theatre run (incredible Dark Star>Beautiful Jam>Wharf Rat> Dark Star).

Anything in Dec '71 is great, also, which are similar to '72 shows. Pigpen is legendary in many of these '71 shows, including 8/6/71 (raging Hard to Handle), and so is the whole band, playing with an aggressive ferocity they never really went back to, even '72-'79. And I'm not even talking about his Lovelight or Good Lovin' rants, many of which are great because some of the bands best jams form around them. But the renditions of Easy Wind, Hard to Handle and Alligator, which tend to be shorter, but have some of Jerry's best playing.

I can't pick one. You should take you time and listen to all of those. I doubt you'll regret it, because it's a unique year, every bit as good as anything '72-'77 (and I wouldn't say that about anything in the '80s or '90s). Jerry plays very different in '71 than those other years. It might be his best year.

But if you put a gun to my head and forced me to, I'd say 2/18/71, for the DS>Beautiful>Rat>DS).

Enjoy!

China Cat>Rider from 7/18/90 Deer Creek (Dave's Picks 40) kicks a$s

Daves-Picks-Volume-40.jpg

I just listened to 5/7/88 Boston and they tuned as much as they played actual music.
Have you listened to Dave's 40? I've been listening to those shows the past few days. I don't love this era as much as some people, but these shows are really good. 7/18 & 7/19/90 at Deer Creek.

Currently listening to the whole Spring '77 tour. I'm up to April 30, '77 at the Palladium and the band is really starting to hit their stride (actually probably started 4/29 during Sugaree). They're making magical moments nearly every song and getting better and better every show. They're reading each other's, and the crowd's, minds.

Grateful_Dead_-_Grateful_Dead_Download_Series_Volume_1.jpg

Currently listening to the whole Spring '77 tour. I'm up to April 30, '77 at the Palladium and the band is really starting to hit their stride (actually probably started 4/29 during Sugaree). They're making magical moments nearly every song and getting better and better every show. They're reading each other's, and the crowd's, minds.

Grateful_Dead_-_Grateful_Dead_Download_Series_Volume_1.jpg

Well...what can I say. Can't go wrong with April and May 1977.

How many other things in life between April and May 1977 can you say that about?

I'm dipping into Europe 72 right now.

Entire Spring '77 tour listening-jam, continued:

5/1/77 at the Palladium

This show has an amazing Comes a Time. Just perfect, fluid, honey-dripping guitar playing from Jerry, on this one.

Great Brokedown Palace.

There's not a bad note played in this show.

It's a good day when the boys play Comes a Time and Brokedown Palace on the same night.
Comes a Time gets better as the month goes on
5/1 < 5/4 < 5/9 <=> 5/22

"Just hold me tight! and don't let go!
(Don't let go, don't let go)"

[IMG]

My Spring '77 Whole Tour listening project, continues...

5/8/77 Cornell

Forget whether this show is overrated or not. It's a great show, along with (but not necessary above) almost everything else around this time. I've listened to it many times, but always the crystal clear Betty Board. Today, I decided to mix it up and listen to an AUD, in this case, Jeff Stevenson's.

It has a great sound! For anyone wanting a more feel-like-I'm-there sound, I highly recommend it. Or, alternately, if you can't stomach a pure AUD then Hunter Seamon's Matrix which combines J Stevenson's AUD with the Betty for the best of both worlds.

Jeff Stevenson's Cornell Audience Tape

Cornell Matrix

My Spring '77 Whole Tour listening project, continues...

5/8/77 Cornell

Forget whether this show is overrated or not. It's a great show, along with (but not necessary above) almost everything else around this time. I've listened to it many times, but always the crystal clear Betty Board. Today, I decided to mix it up and listen to an AUD, in this case, Jeff Stevenson's.

It has a great sound! For anyone wanting a more feel-like-I'm-there sound, I highly recommend it. Or, alternately, if you can't stomach a pure AUD then Hunter Seamon's Matrix which combines J Stevenson's AUD with the Betty for the best of both worlds.

Jeff Stevenson's Cornell Audience Tape

Cornell Matrix

It always has a special place in my heart. Lazy Lightnin->Supplication were the first two songs I heard, from this show, that got me into the Dead.

Lazy Lightnin->Supplication were the first two songs I heard, from this show, that got me into the Dead.
Really? Of all songs, Lazy Lightning and Supplication? Hmm... They're great, but I never would've guess those two songs would be a common gateway into Deadheadism. But I guess that's what makes this band amazing. There's something for everyone.

Really? Of all songs, Lazy Lightning and Supplication? Hmm... They're great, but I never would've guess those two songs would be a common gateway into Deadheadism. But I guess that's what makes this band amazing. There's something for everyone.

Yup!

Then it was Scarlet > Fire
All from 5/8/77.

I remember Lazy Lightnin -> Supplication like I remember my first kiss or romp in the sack

• Haha
I remember Lazy Lightnin -> Supplication like I remember my first kiss or romp in the sack

What about it, in particular? The kind of jazzy, free wheeling nature of it? That snake-charmie bass line ("Doo-doo..doo...doo-doo")? Or something else?

Scarlet>Fire is a big one for me. Top 5, maybe top 3 of my favorite Dead songs ever, depending on the day. Super addictive. Crack-music from top to bottom.

Last edited:
Introduced my kid to Ripple, Friend of the Devil (and Uncle John’s Band).

1639176508712.jpeg

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
What about it, in particular? The kind of jazzy, free wheeling nature of it? That snake-charmie bass line ("Doo-doo..doo...doo-doo")? Or something else?

Scarlet>Fire is a big one for me. Top 5, maybe top 3 of my favorite Dead songs ever, depending on the day. Super addictive. Crack-music from top to bottom.

ehhhh...is kind of a fun song about acid, I think. It's kind of an odd song. Supplication is downright furious...especially some of those May '77 songs. It's like an explosion especially right at the end.

Scarlet > Fire is good. I like the transitions. Fire kind of gets on my nerves after a while. It's a little monotonous.

My top three songs in no particular order are Dark Star, Playin' and TOO.

ehhhh...is kind of a fun song about acid, I think. It's kind of an odd song. Supplication is downright furious...especially some of those May '77 songs. It's like an explosion especially right at the end.

Scarlet > Fire is good. I like the transitions. Fire kind of gets on my nerves after a while. It's a little monotonous.

My top three songs in no particular order are Dark Star, Playin' and TOO.
I'm going to give Lazy Lightning > Supplication a closer listen

Incredible ending solo in Stella Blue from 5/13/77 at Auditorium Theatre.

Spring ‘77 listening tour con’t…

5/15/77

What a great, silky smooth St. Stephen. I’m loving this run, damnit.

We have talked about this.

Comes a Time from 5/21/77 is just the best. What is not to like. It is simply better than anything else that circulates on the airwaves. better than Katy Perry. Better than the Rolling Stones. Better than Post Malone. Better than Placido Domingo.

It's simply the best.

We have talked about this.

Comes a Time from 5/21/77 is just the best. What is not to like. It is simply better than anything else that circulates on the airwaves. better than Katy Perry. Better than the Rolling Stones. Better than Post Malone. Better than Placido Domingo.

It's simply the best.
I'm putting it on right now. I can say for sure it's better than Katy Perry and Placido Domingo, before even listening to it. If better than Stones and Post Malone, I'll have to get back to you.

• Haha