“Break” culture is ridiculous!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And we get yelled at less than that? Count all the aggressions and micro aggressions at your pharmacy and get back to me.

If it’s less than 10, you probably work at a slow store in an area where patients aren’t demanding.

Nah it depends.. doesn’t happen that often where I work. And I work at 400+ a day store in area with high control percentage (over 10%).

Members don't see this ad.

Every time I go to bank, there is just one person at the register and 10-15 people waiting in line. Someone always with issue holding up the line and others yelling/ cursing about the wait times. Working in pharmacy is like taking a vacation in comparison. I bet average bank associate gets cursed out/ yelled at, at least 10 times a day.
To me it’s not a comparison. It’s just pointing out there’s another industry making profits while understaffing the public facing aspect of the business.

And you also confirm humans are terrible to deal with en Maße, speaking generally.

My experiences at the bank are nothing like that. I guess I am just lucky. And I don’t go that often but surprisingly I do find I have to go a few times a year for various reasons.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To me it’s not a comparison. It’s just pointing out there’s another industry making profits while understaffing the public facing aspect of the business.

And you also confirm humans are terrible to deal with en Maße, speaking generally.

people of this forum have a habit of making it see like working in pharmacy is the worst job in the world and being a tech equates to slavery. They are clueless about nature of other jobs.

And miners used to go to the bar and grouse about how awful their work was and how easy the suits in the city had it. It’s human nature.

There's no denying that miners have it way worse than city workers.

I have a neighbor who owns a business and has the biggest Mcmansion with perfect landscaping. He's outside walking his dog all the time, always smiling and happy. I'm not sure if he does any work. His minions do all the work for him while he chills all day. We should have gone into business.

Nah it depends.. doesn’t happen that often where I work. And I work at 400+ a day store in area with high control percentage (over 10%).
I dunno, I worked at a 1k plus store with about the same percentage of controls before I jumped ship. 10 complaints or micro aggressions seems trivial to me.

taking breaks that you are only allowed to take instead or stealing away time

At least we know you completed HR's yearly online training

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
At least we know you completed HR's yearly online training
Well, you know at the end of the day, RPh is always held accountable for metrics.
Time definitely is a resource albeit not physical

If I'm not lighting a metaphorical fire underneath my technicians' asses or motivating them to actually be productive, then I am not performing my job to my full potential. I don't give one F if I'm labeled a "hardass" or genZ-ers call me "mean" for staying focused on work (how that logic makes any sense is beyond me)

Same boat here
Getting to do all your chores on a weekday is the best

I used to love working weekends, and going to an empty grocery store, Target, mini vacation on a Tuesday-Wednesday was the best.

Now that I’m out of a non-staffing role and older, my vendors and subcontractors don’t work weekends, kids are in school, and my non-pharm friends are mostly M-F in other jobs.

Now working weekends just sucks, mostly because of the built-in inertia of weekdays in white collar work. Now that grocery delivery is a thing, and now that I have more money, weekdays off to hit up Target and $29 Southwest fares isn’t as fun.

Oh we all understand how stressful other jobs are. We don’t all bow down to the corporate overlords and sign the contract with our blood.

Stealing time and abusing the system is saving the profession? Good to know. Learn something new everyday I guess.
Bit of a strawman there and to be fair, being on time and not abusing the system isn't going to save the profession either.

To everyone saying bootlicker this, bootlicker that; grow up. Its obvious OP is just frustrated with lazy workers who let others do the work for them. Having lazy team members is never fun and sometimes really difficult to deal with.

So showing up on time and doing your job is bowing down to corporate overlord?

Stealing time and abusing the system is saving the profession? Good to know. Learn something new everyday I guess.

Wtf is "stealing time"? A coworker mentioned that to me when she saw me doing my personal finance and business paperwork while working at the hospital.

Just because I'm working at the hospital. doesn't mean that my time there exclusively belongs to the hospital. If the assigned tasks are done, it shouldn't matter.

Also, bathroom time doesn't count towards break time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which is big IF. Trust me I give a a lot of leeway to good employees. They work hard and I am not gonna make a fuss if they step outside of pharmacy for few minutes on clock and talk to their family/ friends who might be visiting the store.

The issue I have with people who aren’t productive to begin with and then there is a consistent pattern of abusing break privileges.
What are ya gonna do?If you discipline them they will walk out on you and instantly find another job.

Which is big IF. Trust me I give a a lot of leeway to good employees. They work hard and I am not gonna make a fuss if they step outside of pharmacy for few minutes on clock and talk to their family/ friends who might be visiting the store.

The issue I have with people who aren’t productive to begin with and then there is a consistent pattern of abusing break privileges.
The part I bolded is your problem. A break isn't a privilege. It is a right of an hourly worker and required to be given. Break time CANNOT include any work time and bathroom breaks cannot be restricted to those required breaks.

If you have the ability, you should be disciplining those who are actually failing to do their job. If they are getting the job done, then get over it. If you feel like you can't discipline because of the tech shortage, then I am not sorry that a low wage worker has finally found a place of power over the large corporation they work for. If pharmacy workers had been better treated and better paid we wouldn't be in that situation.

Reactions: 7 users
I think pharmacists should be held to certain standards, given their pay and responsibilities, but expecting techs to have those same standards is quite frankly unrealistic.
Heck, if I were in their shoes, I wouldn’t even show up half the time lol

Reactions: 2 users
I think pharmacists should be held to certain standards, given their pay and responsibilities, but expecting techs to have those same standards is quite frankly unrealistic.
Yes, those standards include metrics...love or it or hate it, that's just reality. RPh on duty is essentially a manager...I don't know what kind of standards you are referring to for tech work (it's mostly just moving things from point A to B, processing scripts, screening, manning stations, and a bunch of odd jobs).

It's not like RPhs don't do any tech work either (exception of a few "elite" RPhs); it's simply keeping up with what needs priority at the current moment in time.

The part I bolded is your problem. A break isn't a privilege. It is a right of an hourly worker and required to be given. Break time CANNOT include any work time and bathroom breaks cannot be restricted to those required breaks.

This. This is my problem with OP. He seems to behave like basics working rights are not rights, but instead entitlements.

• Okay...
So showing up on time and doing your job is bowing down to corporate overlord?

Do you honestly think working like a robot, giving. 110% is saving the profession? Do you really think corporate care about you or your techs? Nobody is stealing time. I manage 15 techs at my pharmacy and give them 15 breaks once a day and they all text on their phone. Overachieving and setting the standard high is exactly what corporate wants and you sir are falling into that trap.

Reactions: 4 users
bingo.

i get both sides. but at the end of the day, they're gonna shut us all down at any second so what's the point. there used to be a point up until about 2018 right?

Chain brainwashing has worked. Respecting each other and treating your coworkers like your fellow human being is now a "culture". Truly amazing what has happened to this profession.

If you have the ability, you should be disciplining those who are actually failing to do their job. If they are getting the job done, then get over it. If you feel like you can't discipline because of the tech shortage, then I am not sorry that a low wage worker has finally found a place of power over the large corporation they work for. If pharmacy workers had been better treated and better paid we wouldn't be in that situation.

This. This is my problem with OP. He seems to behave like basics working rights are not rights, but instead entitlements.

This is the reason why I was poking at the OP. The corporate pharmacies have driven the profession into the ground and treat us like worthless, replaceable cogs in their profit machine. In a time when more and more of us feel we should be joining together to push back, this post just reads like someone stuck in that post 2008 "I'm just lucky to have a job, please let me work unpaid overtime and never grant my PTO" attitude.

To be clear, I expect my colleagues to pull their weight at work. When I am working I give it my full effort. I'm just not going to give someone a hard time for taking a bathroom break or needed a minute to catch their breath, and you better believe I don't answer my phone when I'm on vacation.

Ah. The days of NateRobinson and Mr corporate pharmacist. Where have you gone.

• Haha
Ah. The days of NateRobinson and Mr corporate pharmacist. Where have you gone.

I don’t defend unreasonable corporate metrics.

Are people not understanding what I said throughout the thread or what?

No one has said anyone not to take their scheduled breaks for the 100th time. But if you are constantly taking longer breaks than allowed, then you will be called out. 15 minute break means 15 minutes. You have to be back inside the pharmacy once break is over. But if you are constantly taking 20-25 minutes instead of 15, how can anyone allow that? Are people seriously saying this behavior is okay just because work environment is stressful?
We’re not saying it’s ok. We’re saying the way you delivered your message sucks.

No one has said anyone not to take their scheduled breaks for the 100th time. But if you are constantly taking longer breaks than allowed, then you will be called out. 15 minute break means 15 minutes. You have to be back inside the pharmacy once break is over. But if you are constantly taking 20-25 minutes instead of 15, how can anyone allow that? Are people seriously saying this behavior is okay just because work environment is stressful?
I really hope the labor shortage is hitting you hard. You don't deserve to have any techs working under you.

Reminds me of what my aunt once told me (she is a nurse). They are hourly. She said once she is done with the shift, she would clock out right there and then in the room computer where she is working. However, some nurses would walk all the way out at the entrance and then clock out at that computer. They would take their sweet time and talk to couple of people along the way while on clock; would easily add 15 extra minutes to each shift when it shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to walk.
Good way to spend 15 to network, have good relationships with your staff, and good use of work time. I would have pushed it to a 20 minute walk though

Reactions: 3 users
Reminds me of what my aunt once told me (she is a nurse). They are hourly. She said once she is done with the shift, she would clock out right there and then in the room computer where she is working. However, some nurses would walk all the way out at the entrance and then clock out at that computer. They would take their sweet time and talk to couple of people along the way while on clock; would easily add 15 extra minutes to each shift when it shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to walk.

Why wouldn't you clock in at the entrance/exit instead of at your department? If you slip and fall and break a vertebrae, you better have been clocked in.

Why wouldn't you clock in at the entrance/exit instead of at your department? If you slip and fall and break a vertebrae, you better have been clocked in.

That would make no difference..

First, you called their breaks a "privilege" which is the specific thing that bugged me. Second, You never really say what you are going to do about it. If you feel like you can't do anything about it because you can't replace even a lazy worker, then the tech has the power in this situation. I don't think any of us begrudge someone who has probably been overworked and underpaid a little exercise of some new found power over a crappy job. In the old days of a shortage of tech jobs, technicians would be fired for a lot less because you could hire another one the next day. Those days are over though.
Anyways I am out. I have made my position clear and nothing will be achieved from further discussion.

This isn't an airport, you don't have to announce your departure.

• Haha
I just want to say that people want to try less if they don't like or respect their superiors. OP in this situation said something about how all the techs love him/her and appreciate being scolded but after everyone's post to OP and how OP responded, I am starting to have doubts.

Anyways I am out.

Seems pretty clear this thread has been about work ethic/behavior/habits and not about grinding metrics, drinking cool aid, corporate brainwashing, etc.
Techs lacking respect, wasting time, half-assing has been getting worse over the years & with younger cell phone hugging generations; strange how they act when under direct watch of manager or when corporate visits

Seems pretty clear this thread has been about work ethic/behavior/habits and not about grinding metrics, drinking cool aid, corporate brainwashing, etc.
Techs lacking respect, wasting time, half-assing has been getting worse over the years & with younger cell phone hugging generations; strange how they act when under direct watch of manager or when corporate visits

15 mins break time to me means 15 minutes of actual break time. The walk to and from the coffee shop is not part of the break time. The walk to the car is not part of the break time.

15 mins break time to me means 15 minutes of actual break time. The walk to and from the coffee shop is not part of the break time. The walk to the car is not part of the break time.
Crap like this is what thread is about. Time is not up for interpretation; it's a god damn dimension. Get some time management skills.
Oh, yeah, "hot minutes" are not a measure of time

Note: your personal choices how you wish to spend your free time are not an excuse

Last edited:
Crap like this is what thread is about. Time is not up for interpretation; it's a god damn dimension. Get some time management skills.
Oh, yeah, "hot minutes" are not a measure of time

Note: your personal choices how you wish to spend your free time are not an excuse

What's the point of a 15 minute break if you can't even walk to the coffee shop, order something, wait for it to be made and then time's up.

Otherwise, you're damn sure I'm going on my phone or calling the coffee shop with my order before the break even starts.

• Dislike
is mid 30s a breaking point? i'm retail, and walking into my sunday shifts puts me in the worst mood. i can stomach saturdays a bit more, but man, there's life to live out there on the weekends with everyone else i don't wanna be stuck inside my pharmacy all day. my mood about this just got significantly worse in past couple years.

Hell, this has been me ever since I started pharmacy.

who goes into banks anymore? I have been inside my bank once in the last 3 years - and that was to open an account for my daughter. And I am far from a tech guys who does everything online.

Cash deposits for businesses, cash withdrawals, depositing checks from insurance companies (from the perspective of an independent pharmacy).

My old bank wanted me to go inside for a $2500 cashiers check. I switched banks.

• Haha
What's the point of a 15 minute break if you can't even walk to the coffee shop, order something, wait for it to be made and then time's up.

Otherwise, you're damn sure I'm going on my phone or calling the coffee shop with my order before the break even starts.
Anyone else genuinely amazed @Sparda29 is a so called grown up? Attitude just screams that A-hole rebellious, spoiled teenager phase of life
Again, keep working on gaining that degree in time management...maybe someday?

Anyone else genuinely amazed @Sparda29 is a so called grown up? Attitude just screams that A-hole rebellious, spoiled teenager phase of life

He posts what most people do without admitting to it. I suspect his posts are at least somewhat in jest to be honest. But I’m sure we all have that coworker who is never around when you need him.

• Haha

He’s probably the most honest person in this thread.

I’ve definitely walked from one end of the hospital to the other to talk to a nurse, because my car was on that side of the hospital and the time clock there would have maximized my lunch hour.

But it was definitely all work related up until I punched out! Yup. 100%. Was working. Promise.

Maybe its time to step away from SDN for a month or two if you are actually getting mad

it’s a troll account and everyone knows it.. I am not referring to this thread between. I can post hundred threads proving this. He has been allowed to continue because he brings comedic value to this forum. His posts are often light-hearted and entertaining.

Talks about throwing tantrums, then throws a tantrum. But hey, who am I to judge. You do you boo.

EDIT: In a thread that started as a tantrum nonetheless!

He’s probably the most honest person in this thread.

I’ve definitely walked from one end of the hospital to the other to talk to a nurse, because my car was on that side of the hospital and the time clock there would have maximized my lunch hour.

But it was definitely all work related up until I punched out! Yup. 100%. Was working. Promise.
I am so glad I don't have to punch in and out for lunches - well actually I don't get a lunch at night - I work my 10 hour shift and eat while verifying orders. But our day people do the 8.5 hour schedule for an 8 hour day. Nobody cares if you are gone a little long unless you are one of "those" that constantly cause issues for others. Technically we get 45 minutes (combine our 15 paid and 30 min unpaid breaks) - but leaving as a group and going to eat for an hour is common place as long as you allow the other people to do the same.

Our hospital has an absolutely huge footprint - with a parking lot on the opposite side and cross the road from the pharmacy - it is at least a 10 minute walk from the pharmacy to your car - so one person leaves early, and drives to the door by the pharmacy, then we car pool to eat. That person might actually be gone 1 hour and 15 minutes by the time they return their car and walk back. Nobody cares because the work gets done.

Level of maturity in this thread kind of amazes me. You guys have gone to doctorate school; make six figures, and yet behave like a 5 year old throwing tantrum when someone has different views on something?

I hope for the sake of your career, this just your internet self and not how you behave in real world..

Show some self control. If you are done with this topic, you are done with it.

• Love
...He has been allowed to continue because...
Sheesh. Your posts are extremely ironic and it actually makes me think YOU are running a troll account.

...Like this is supposed to hurt my feelings? Lol...
Its either that or you are literally trying to troll. You don't have to keep coming back here just to say, "You guys aren't actually doctors if you disagree with me."

I am so glad I don't have to punch in and out for lunches - well actually I don't get a lunch at night - I work my 10 hour shift and eat while verifying orders. But our day people do the 8.5 hour schedule for an 8 hour day. Nobody cares if you are gone a little long unless you are one of "those" that constantly cause issues for others. Technically we get 45 minutes (combine our 15 paid and 30 min unpaid breaks) - but leaving as a group and going to eat for an hour is common place as long as you allow the other people to do the same.

Our hospital has an absolutely huge footprint - with a parking lot on the opposite side and cross the road from the pharmacy - it is at least a 10 minute walk from the pharmacy to your car - so one person leaves early, and drives to the door by the pharmacy, then we car pool to eat. That person might actually be gone 1 hour and 15 minutes by the time they return their car and walk back. Nobody cares because the work gets done.

The honor system was abused both ways - the punch was needed to document and keep both sides honest.

I remember when CVS was sued a ton of times in CA - they made it so when you clocked out for lunch, it would physically lock down your computer access to prevent you from working. Not a bad way to immunize yourself from these types of lawsuits.

At both places I work/worked, the time clock was on the computer, so it was an easy thing to do.