Breaking into Informatics ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fxguy1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Up front I’ve read article after article and tons of posts of getting an informatics position. I’m open to anything, willing to move, etc….

I’m currently licensed in IL but would reciprocate where there is an offer.

I can’t seem to get ANY interviews. I paid for a professional to rework my LinkedIn profile and my resume.

My profile is here : Tim PharmD

I have a certificate in general programming and database management from the local college. Experience with Meditech (RX, ED, CPOE, RN, and Lab modules), Epic, Jewel-Oslo, CVS, and Walgreens retail systems. I’ve managed Pyxis, Omnicell (including the XR-1), Alaris, and Hospira pumps including data analysis and reporting. I’ve worked with building guardrails, order sets, and bedside Med verification.

Outside of work I do 3D printing and building fully animatronic droids (including a life size functioning R2D2 unit) which has given me skills in additional programming including microcontrollers and soldering. I’m experienced in php, xml, and MySQL.

I can’t figure out why I can’t get my foot in the door to even get an interview. I know I need to work on coming across as arrogant when I’m simply trying to convey that I’m config=dent in my skills and problem solving abilities.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

... I’m experienced in php, xml, and MySQL...
Not sure what informatics is, does it have anything to do with DB administration? If this is anything CS related, you will need to show some projects you've done on some repository.

I am a clinical data scientist...and I work with stdm and adam datasets, but I have no clue what "informatics" really mean in the pharmacy world these days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here’s an article discussing the definition: Pharmacy Informatics HIMSS

Basically it’s the intersection of pharmacy and technology involving everything from robotic dispensing to infusion pump guardrails to electronic health records.

Here’s an article discussing the definition: Pharmacy Informatics HIMSS

Basically it’s the intersection of pharmacy and technology involving everything from robotic dispensing to infusion pump guardrails to electronic health records.
Im still a bit confused where your skills of php and mysql would come into play here. It seems like the software is already built for this informatics role

Im still a bit confused where your skills of php and mysql would come into play here. It seems like the software is already built for this informatics role

A lot of databases, like Pyxis and Omnicell machines, are basically written in sql. He could potentially use sql knowledge to troubleshoot any issues that may arise or to make updates as the need arises.

This is particularly useful if the pharmacy uses many different programs to interface with each other. For example, let's say you have different programs for your EMR, your billing system, your dispensing system. While customer support would be able to help you with problems within each system, you would likely need someone in house who knows how they interface with each other.

To the OP, it doesn't really matter if you apply out of state unless you already have the license. A lot of people aren't going to want to hire someone if they have to 1) wait until they schedule and take the law exam and 2) pass the law exam.

Secondly, it looks like you have experience with EMRs, but do you have experience working as an inpatient pharmacist? It helps tremendously to know both the clinical and the operational side of things.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
A lot of databases, like Pyxis and Omnicell machines, are basically written in sql. He could potentially use sql knowledge to troubleshoot any issues that may arise or to make updates as the need arises.

This is particularly useful if the pharmacy uses many different programs to interface with each other. For example, let's say you have different programs for your EMR, your billing system, your dispensing system. While customer support would be able to help you with problems within each system, you would likely need someone in house who knows how they interface with each other.

To the OP, it doesn't really matter if you apply out of state unless you already have the license. A lot of people aren't going to want to hire someone if they have to 1) wait until they schedule and take the law exam and 2) pass the law exam.

Secondly, it looks like you have experience with EMRs, but do you have experience working as an inpatient pharmacist? It helps tremendously to know both the clinical and the operational side of things.
It depends:

1. There's clinical applications development which is basically a situation where you're adapting the local workflow to whatever EMR is being used. (It's harder than it sounds.) This is the most common, and it's hard to get without prior inpatient or managed care/industry experience.

2. There's regulatory compliance development where you do the IT work, but you are required to sign off the work as a regulatory compliance matter (i.e. with your license).

By the way, neither Pyxis or Omnicell are written in SQL. Omnicell is mostly Java with some assembly. Pyxis is completely C with some assembly. Both expose data through an SQL interface, but the customers rarely if ever get programmatic access (it violates 410k approvals).

3. There's clinical analytics where you do need some formal statistics training to handle.

Sounds like you have the skillsets, but I have a feeling that your own interface (communication) skills are what keep you from getting into the field as a primary duty. It's hard to tell without interviewing you or seeing your resume, but you seem to have the right interests and skillsets but lack either experience or ability to communicate in both technical and clinical language.

You are probably being filtered out at the application level. When any open position has nearly 100 applications it can be very difficult to stand out. You way want to make sure you have the right key words to get past HR and in front of a human. You may want to start applying to the most remote and undesirable states in the union.

Reactions: 1 user