“Break” culture is ridiculous!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, it's really stupid. Now, call me old fashion, but I would wait until my break to buy something to eat/drink, whip out cell phone, read a magazine, go the the bathroom, etc. GenZ strongly associates with dilly-dallying and grossly divided attention (funny how these "expert" multi-taskers can't remember anything you teach them the following day...><).

Don't even get me started on abusing the hell out of time off (I mean I thought people got jobs because they wanted to work and earn money consistently)

What gets me is when they clock in then immediately go to the bathroom or break room, grab a coffee, come back and check the schedule to see exactly what time everyone is working, talk about how busy it was yesterday and how busy it will be today. 25 minutes pass by the time they start working.

When my shift starts, I immediately jump into the dumpster fire.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like someone needs to learn how to enjoy their breaks, lol

I agree about jumping in first thing though. I can accept something like wiping down the work space, maybe you need a minute to adjust your chair and let the reality of being at work sink in, etc but man it drives me nuts when someone doesn’t you know actually work after clocking in.

If anything I’m much more sympathetic to people who take <small> unofficial breaks throughout the day then I am to the people who can’t jump right in when they get to work.

I don't know, sounds like your real problem is corporate not staffing your store adequately and you are taking it out on your coworkers because they're not killing themselves for CVS.

Reactions: 14 users
in my experience these people are unmotivated, stuck in the same position for 10 plus years, then complain/wonder why they are not getting promotions or significant raises... gee I wonder why.

Reactions: 1 user
And to reply to OP...that's just where the labor market is. Techs now have more power and they know it. They can walk out the door and make the same money at countless other places. What are you going to do? Fire them? They know you need them. Discipline them? They'll quit.

I have had a few techs quit over the last few months just because the PIC was "mean to them" after they called out way too many times. One didn't even give their two weeks. The PIC tried to discipline them and they just said "No. I'm not having it." Just...gone.

Labor shortages will do that.

Reactions: 3 users
Agree. And im not even talking about the 15 minute stuff. Im talking about the talking, pulling out the phones, etc. Tech had the gual 🤬to even ask what I do extra to me that she doesnt do?? . Its just sad. I make up for what the tech doesnt do and SHOULD be doing! Plain and simple. We even show up ealry 30 min in the morning to try and get something out of the day...and its a complete waste of time for who ever is there...its like they get another 30 minute break for free. .....Im lucky to get a bite of food....sip of water.... But heaven forbid if I say anything:rolleyes:.....and the kicker always is...complaing that they dont get paid enough. If you did what you are supposed to do...then yes. But if I have to double back and make up for your unproductivity...then no!

I'm not a fan of it myself. I know dayshift comes in, takes a breakfast break. Then I come in at noon, and they take another hour long lunch break. Two breaks for their 8 hour shift. Of course, they all take their break at the same time as well.

But for the technicians though, let's take a moment and say what if they were the perfect employee. On time, gets work done, efficient, ect. They then get the "possibility" of a raise. And likely a very small one at that.

All types of jobs are increasing pay due to the labor shortage. But as far as I've seen, there have been no pay increases in pharmacy. The best I've seen are these temporary incentive pays and maybe hiring bonuses for pharmacists.

I'm not a fan of it myself. I know dayshift comes in, takes a breakfast break. Then I come in at noon, and they take another hour long lunch break. Two breaks for their 8 hour shift. Of course, they all take their break at the same time as well.

But for the technicians though, let's take a moment and say what if they were the perfect employee. On time, gets work done, efficient, ect. They then get the "possibility" of a raise. And likely a very small one at that.

All types of jobs are increasing pay due to the labor shortage. But as far as I've seen, there have been no pay increases in pharmacy. The best I've seen are these temporary incentive pays and maybe hiring bonuses for pharmacists.

Techs have gotten raises and bonuses. It’s not extravagant but they are making more than before.

Are they underpaid? Probably but hourly associates (pharmacy or non-pharmacy) are underpaid everywhere. It’s an economy issue; not just pharmacy. I am all for increasing minimum wage. But I will bet my bottom dollar even that won’t change anything and people will still complain regardless.

Anti-work sentiment has been growing strong steadily.

Pharmacy has razor thin margins. We working stiffs are just overhead to the bean counters. We will forever be understaffed. The 2008 recession changed everything.

And to reply to OP...that's just where the labor market is. Techs now have more power and they know it. They can walk out the door and make the same money at countless other places. What are you going to do? Fire them? They know you need them. Discipline them? They'll quit.

I have had a few techs quit over the last few months just because the PIC was "mean to them" after they called out way too many times. One didn't even give their two weeks. The PIC tried to discipline them and they just said "No. I'm not having it." Just...gone.

Labor shortages will do that.
I just cannot understand why anyone would ever work as a retail technician.
There are so many jobs that either pay more, or pay the same with much much lower effort/stress levels.

Members don't see this ad :)
Techs have gotten raises and bonuses. It’s not extravagant but they are making more than before.

Are they underpaid? Probably but hourly associates (pharmacy or non-pharmacy) are underpaid everywhere. It’s an economy issue; not just pharmacy. I am all for increasing minimum wage. But I will bet my bottom dollar even that won’t change anything and people will still complain regardless.

I used to have a tech that got paid like $18 and change. I don't know how high or low that is. About a third of her working time is spent either in the bathroom or on her phone.

Breaks are fine, but this sounds more like poor staff management.

Blaming breaks is like blaming the actual act of sex for your poor bedroom performance, bahahahahahah.

• Haha

To a certain extent, I don’t blame the people. This country has been taken over by blood hungry corporations that have shown a complete lack of regard for any of their workforce. We’re all disposable in their eyes.

Reactions: 5 users
You can get a job as a cashier at walmart anywhere between $15-$18/hr. You get like a 20 min break every 2 hours i think. So just take that into account. But at the same time this job is seasonal. You get regular hours during summer and winter time.

I’m just happy when people show up
I could care less how many breaks they take

Breaks are fine, but this sounds more like poor staff management.

Blaming breaks is like blaming the actual act of sex for your poor bedroom performance, bahahahahahah.

Nah - I it’s a blood flow problem dude. Nothing I can do about it.

• Haha
I'm not sure why any of you are complaining about techs taking "breaks". Be grateful techs are willing to work for the garbage pay. Retail is very stressful and techs are underpaid. They can just wait anytime and get a better job. Who wants to get laid $15-18/hr to be abused by customers. Maybe pay then $30/hr and they'll have the same "passion" as us rph.

I'm not sure why any of you are complaining about techs taking "breaks". Be grateful techs are willing to work for the garbage pay. Retail is very stressful and techs are underpaid. They can just wait anytime and get a better job. Who wants to get laid $15-18/hr to be abused by customers. Maybe pay then $30/hr and they'll have the same "passion" as us rph.
Sorry for all the typo. Autocorrect malfunctioned.

American's are brainwashed wage-slaves who will do anything to please their masters and view it as distasteful to care more for yourself than for corporate profits. It permeates every workplace in this country, and people are often quite proud of their subservience. Overworking yourself is seen as a virtue. How many times have you seen someone come into work sick? Thinking they are a hero, that the place can't function with out them. Meanwhile they get everyone else sick too so thanks for coming in.

OP should just take a break as well. The world isn't going to end if you sit on a stool and drink a coffee. Stop letting your job walk all over you.

Reactions: 7 users
American's are brainwashed wage-slaves who will do anything to please their masters and view it as distasteful to care more for yourself than for corporate profits. It permeates every workplace in this country, and people are often quite proud of their subservience. Overworking yourself is seen as a virtue. How many times have you seen someone come into work sick? Thinking they are a hero, that the place can't function with out them. Meanwhile they get everyone else sick too so thanks for coming in.

OP should just take a break as well. The world isn't going to end if you sit on a stool and drink a coffee. Stop letting your job walk all over you.
OP is probably the same person who wonders why pharmacy has become a dead end career but was perfectly willing to give up everything that made it great to the corporate overlords.

What gets me is when they clock in then immediately go to the bathroom or break room, grab a coffee, come back and check the schedule to see exactly what time everyone is working, talk about how busy it was yesterday and how busy it will be today. 25 minutes pass by the time they start working.

When my shift starts, I immediately jump into the dumpster fire.

At my previous gig, anyone who had been a pharmacist there for more than 10 years acted this way. 30 minutes of getting coffee and your desk organized to start the day.

There's a difference between taking breaks, being lazy, and poor management.

At my previous gig, anyone who had been a pharmacist there for more than 10 years acted this way. 30 minutes of getting coffee and your desk organized to start the day.

There's a difference between taking breaks, being lazy, and poor management.

It's pretty sad how some techs work harder than pharmacists and get 1/4 of the pay.

As far as I’m concerned, if you are not slacking, you are a sucker

• Love

I see the generational divide, and it is beautiful. Older workers seeing overwork as a virtue and a badge of honor, younger workers are seeing it as pointless and misguided, and taking the vacations and paid parental leave they are owed because they understand life is a finite thing.

That’s not to say there are no Boomers that live this way, and there are definitely 20/30-somethings that are putting in 60-70 hour weeks when opportunities arise, but at least they’re getting compensated $120-$200/hr when it happens.

Reactions: 2 users
I see the generational divide, and it is beautiful. Older workers seeing overwork as a virtue and a badge of honor, younger workers are seeing it as pointless and misguided, and taking the vacations and paid parental leave they are owed because they understand life is a finite thing.

That’s not to say there are no Boomers that live this way, and there are definitely 20/30-somethings that are putting in 60-70 hour weeks when opportunities arise, but at least they’re getting compensated $120-$200/hr when it happens.

I'm a firm believer in the "Take what you can get, because they're going to take everything they can get out of you" mentality when it comes to jobs.

Reactions: 8 users
To a certain extent, I don’t blame the people. This country has been taken over by blood hungry corporations that have shown a complete lack of regard for any of their workforce. We’re all disposable in their eyes.

This is the real problem. It's not the $18/hour techs who spend half the day goofing off; it's the class of people who work from their beach or suburban home ordering us frontline employees around while they themselves are clueless about what we do.

this is so true - I think people need to find the balance. I consider myself a hard worker, when I am on the clock, I bust my a$$. But believe me, I am going to use all of my PDO - I get 8 weeks a year and use every damn hour of it. Plus, if I have to stay 10 minutes late because somebody is too lazy to show up on time, I will be pissed, and let them know it. If i have to stay late because a patient is crashing? Well, that is my job.

I worked more hours in my 20's and 30's than I do in my 40's. I always moonlighted until I was in my mid 30's. Now the thought of doing that makes me want to vomit.

this is so true - I think people need to find the balance. I consider myself a hard worker, when I am on the clock, I bust my a$$. But believe me, I am going to use all of my PDO - I get 8 weeks a year and use every damn hour of it. Plus, if I have to stay 10 minutes late because somebody is too lazy to show up on time, I will be pissed, and let them know it. If i have to stay late because a patient is crashing? Well, that is my job.

I worked more hours in my 20's and 30's than I do in my 40's. I always moonlighted until I was in my mid 30's. Now the thought of doing that makes me want to vomit.
is mid 30s a breaking point? i'm retail, and walking into my sunday shifts puts me in the worst mood. i can stomach saturdays a bit more, but man, there's life to live out there on the weekends with everyone else i don't wanna be stuck inside my pharmacy all day. my mood about this just got significantly worse in past couple years.

is mid 30s a breaking point? i'm retail, and walking into my sunday shifts puts me in the worst mood. i can stomach saturdays a bit more, but man, there's life to live out there on the weekends with everyone else i don't wanna be stuck inside my pharmacy all day. my mood about this just got significantly worse in past couple years.

No one likes working weekends no matter your age.

I really don’t mind. It gives me a chance to do more stuff during the week. It’s a totally pointless division of days to me.
Same boat here
Getting to do all your chores on a weekday is the best

for me it wasn't about the breaking point being age - it was more of - I have a new wife that doesn't spend money like it grows on trees. lol.

Then when my loans were paid off (age of 38) - it was even more freeing.

I really don’t mind. It gives me a chance to do more stuff during the week. It’s a totally pointless division of days to me.
for me (I work every other weekend on nights) it does get old. I likely won't do it for much longer. One weekend a month is doable, more than that sucks. I like having a weekday or two off during the week per month- but more than that gets old When your friends all work bankers hours it is much different than if you hang out with a bunch of healthcare workers who are in the same boat. Nothing sucks more than watching football with my buddies and not being able to have a couple of beers because you have to go to work in an hour or two (well, there is a lot that sucks worse, but you get my point)

Same boat here
Getting to do all your chores on a weekday is the best
Makes little to no difference...an off day is an off day. If anything, weekends are better to work and have a weekday off to do BS tasks depend on those BS banker/govt hours 9-5, M-F only. Strange how society operates....procrastinators only giving themselves free time on weekends, partying/dilly dallying/goofing off instead of "adulting"/getting **** done. I thoroughly believe never working weekends is a self sabotaging mindset of always having excuses to procrastinate and prioritize social life above all else (far from a balanced lifestyle)

Makes little to no difference...an off day is an off day. If anything, weekends are better to work and have a weekday off to do BS tasks depend on those BS banker/govt hours 9-5, M-F only. Strange how society operates....procrastinators only giving themselves free time on weekends, partying/dilly dallying/goofing off instead of "adulting"/getting **** done. I thoroughly believe never working weekends is a self sabotaging mindset of always having excuses to procrastinate and prioritize social life above all else (far from a balanced lifestyle)

In my area - weekends are bonkers. You can’t do anything without a massive crowd of people everywhere. I prefer to work the weekends and do my chores/fun stuff during the week. It feels safer and less stressful.

I think with the streamlining of corporate practices over the last several decades, with actions being micromanaged and staffs being cut to the bone, the up and coming crews aren't feeling any inspiration to want to overwork. Or they see those of us who do, and later see us burn out.

Once my loans were gone, my willingness to put in even one more minute disappeared completely. I'd rather live my life.

Then the older generation just goes "you had loans?"

I think with the streamlining of corporate practices over the last several decades, with actions being micromanaged and staffs being cut to the bone, the up and coming crews aren't feeling any inspiration to want to overwork. Or they see those of us who do, and later see us burn out.

Once my loans were gone, my willingness to put in even one more minute disappeared completely. I'd rather live my life.

Then the older generation just goes "you had loans?"

They had it good. Cheap school, cheap houses, cheap stocks, high pay, good job market. One parent could work while the other stayed home and took care of the kids. Every boomer in my neighborhood owns a vacation home near the beach or lake.

Last edited:
So this thread didn’t go the way you wanted huh?

Hourly associates (techs/ cashiers) abusing 15 minute breaks. 15 minutes break always lasts 20-25 minutes. Some of them go to restroom for 10 minutes and then 5 minutes afterwards go to “regular” 15 minutes break every 2 hours.

This is truly pathetic.. Tired of having to constantly tell grown-ass folks that they are supposed to return to work after 15 minutes. Tired of constantly not having enough help even though we have enough people scheduled since someone is always out there chilling.

Break culture is bull$&@$!
Ridiculous. Next thing you know they will be asking for pto and health care. If only we can go back to the times slavery was legal.

Reactions: 5 users
No one is stopping you from taking breaks. But if you go to restroom for 20 minutes and then right after that go on your “regular” 15, something is wrong; especially when it occurs every day.

I take my breaks. But I take care of whatever you need to during that time. And those of you idiots who think being a pharmacy tech is the worst job imaginable, go work at Bank of America.

No one is forcing you to take any job. If not happy with pay then find something else. No excuse on leaching off your employer by slacking off.
You corporate sucker. I bet your techs must hate your guts.

And those of you idiots who think being a pharmacy tech is the worst job imaginable, go work at Bank of America.
I had a friend recently complain about her bank job. I had no idea people still went into banks. What makes working in a bank difficult now versus 10 years ago?

Every time I go to bank, there is just one person at the register and 10-15 people waiting in line. Someone always with issue holding up the line and others yelling/ cursing about the wait times. Working in pharmacy is like taking a vacation in comparison. I bet average bank associate gets cursed out/ yelled at, at least 10 times a day.
who goes into banks anymore? I have been inside my bank once in the last 3 years - and that was to open an account for my daughter. And I am far from a tech guys who does everything online.

who goes into banks anymore? I have been inside my bank once in the last 3 years - and that was to open an account for my daughter. And I am far from a tech guys who does everything online.

Try going on a Friday afternoon. People still cash their paychecks like they did 40 years ago.

• Haha
I bet average bank associate gets cursed out/ yelled at, at least 10 times a day.
And we get yelled at less than that? Count all the aggressions and micro aggressions at your pharmacy and get back to me.

If it’s less than 10, you probably work at a slow store in an area where patients aren’t demanding.