Bottom Scorer on CASPer and PREview. Should I apply to other schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasstationsushi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well everyone, I did it! I scored in the 1st quartile on CASPer AND got a 1 on the AAMC PreView. I have no idea how this happened, but it did. I know there isn't a lot of information out there about how these scores are used in the admissions process, but 8 of the 20 schools I've applied to will see one of these scores (I have already been rejected from 1 of the 8). Even though I feel like the rest of my application is strong, I don't think I like those odds. I'm a reapplicant and want to apply broadly because I really don't want to do this a third time. Would it be worth it to apply to a few additional schools that don't require these tests?

Update: I was invited to an early interview at a CASPer school and was accepted in their first round of offers! Hope is not lost!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Well everyone, I did it! I scored in the 1st quartile on CASPer AND got a 1 on the AAMC PreView. I have no idea how this happened, but it did. I know there isn't a lot of information out there about how these scores are used in the admissions process, but 8 of the 20 schools I've applied to will see one of these scores (I have already been rejected from 1 of the 8). Even though I feel like the rest of my application is strong, I don't think I like those odds. I'm a reapplicant and want to apply broadly because I really don't want to do this a third time. Would it be worth it to apply to a few additional schools that don't require these tests?
How did you prepare? Did you use the Casper/SJT practice questions on the forums?

How did you prepare? Did you use the Casper/SJT practice questions on the forums?
I took the CASPer two years ago before they released quartiles and I did the full practice exam back then. This time I took part of the practice exam and researched strategies and additional practice scenarios from third parties online. I tried to take the typical unbiased and empathetic approach to finding a solution that worked for everyone. I'm a slow typer (50 WPM) and had a hard time answering all three questions thoroughly for each scenario.

The PREview mistakenly seemed very straightforward to me. I read up on the format and how it was scored, and I looked at about the first 30 questions on the practice exam. All of my answers were correct or only one off, so I figured I would have no trouble earning at least partial credit on the majority of questions. How they actually score this one is a mystery to me.

I acknowledge that I could have prepared more thoroughly for both, and I certainly didn't expect to be a top scorer in either, but I'm still surprised by my scores and am concerned that it they reflect poorly on my character despite experiences and letters that suggest otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you link to PREVIEW practice resources on the forums? I admit that I'm new here and it's quickly becoming clear that navigating these forums is not my forte.

Could you link to PREVIEW practice resources on the forums? I admit that I'm new here and it's quickly becoming clear that navigating these forums is not my forte.

The only official resource to prepare comes from AAMC so one should always go there. See link.

Becoming a Student Doctor has more links focused on why the test was created and how different schools are testing how it may be useful for candidate selection. Some of these items have been posted here so it is nice to put them all under one roof.

I am also compiling other resources to help with SJTs in general and not to specific assessments. This will be the basis of a workshop under development on situational judgment.

ADD: If anyone has taken a SJT for this or any previous cycle, HPSA/SDN has sent out a survey to get your feedback of the reason you took an SJT and your experience to further help with this workshop.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Update: I have been invited to interview with one school so far, and it's one that requires CASPer. Hope is not lost.
I also got a low score on CASPer; glad to hear you still got an interview, that gives me hope!!

Reactions: 1 user