Atlantic Bridge 2019 - Chances, Acceptance, Waitlist.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same here. I never saw a question that asked to rank the schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait what? When were you asked to rank because I did not see any option to rank schools when I applied.
I am probably wrong then, sorry for any confusion. I completed my application back in October so I guess I mixed it up with some other application.

Hello Everyone,
I applied this cycle, I am a non-traditional military veteran applicant from the US. I only applied to RCSI and my admissions contact at Atlantic Bridge did cause me some mild concern as she made it sound like interview invites have been going out for weeks when in reality they just started looking at applications.
Stats:
2.9/4.0 so I thought but recalculated it because they only asked for my most recent transcripts as they include all my previous course work not my grades. 3.4/4.0 GPA.
No MCAT Applying to 5-year.
4 years of clinical work experience both hands on and administrative in almost every specialty at the VA Hospital.
8-years Army Combat Veteran with awards, I even got a NATO Award.
Great Letters of recommendation from two professors.
Recent grades have been awesome, the last 5 semesters have been 3.50 or higher with my last semester being a 3.8 GPA.
Volunteer Experiences: 400 hours with Homeless Veterans.
Hopefully I get an interview invite, I got accepted to SGU but I would rather go to Ireland due to better match lists for very competitive specialties every year in the US such as Ortho,ENT, Plastic Surgery, Neurosurgery.

Also my understanding is that interview invites starting going out between Next week and the Middle of February.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to confirm, once we have received the email stating that all of the items required at this stage of the admissions process have been received, there is nothing else that we need to do except wait to hear back from the different schools?

Invited to interview via skype for 4 year GME at University College Dublin.
American re-applicant (first application to AB)
3.58cGPA, 3.2-3.48sGPA depending AMCAS/AACOMAS
0 MD interviews as of yet
2 DO interviews, one acceptance, one still under review
507 MCAT
Extensive research/ 1 high impact publication

Reactions: 1 users
Just to confirm, once we have received the email stating that all of the items required at this stage of the admissions process have been received, there is nothing else that we need to do except wait to hear back from the different schools?

Yeah

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Country of Origin: United States
Schools applied to: RCSI, UCD, NUIG (5/6 yr programs)
First choice: UCD
GPA: 4.0
EC: The usual stuff; pre-med clubs, volunteering, shadowing, etc. as well as good LORs and hopefully a good personal statement.
MCAT: haven't taken yet
Other comments: So far I've received an interview offer from RCSI.

Reactions: 1 user
For people getting interviews when did you submit your app? Just wondering if they look at the applications in order.

For people getting interviews when did you submit your app? Just wondering if they look at the applications in order.

I submitted my application on January 22, and got the interview email on January 23rd. I certainly was not expecting to hear back that fast! :)

I submitted my application on January 22, and got the interview email on January 23rd. I certainly was not expecting to hear back that fast! :)

That's crazy. Oh well, maybe more invites will be sent out sometime this week or the next.

Country of Origin: United States
Schools applied to: RCSI, UCD, NUIG (5/6 yr programs)
First choice: UCD
GPA: 4.0
EC: The usual stuff; pre-med clubs, volunteering, shadowing, etc. as well as good LORs and hopefully a good personal statement.
MCAT: haven't taken yet
Other comments: So far I've received an interview offer from RCSI.

Is there a reason you aren't looking at US schools with 4.0? I mean, I am on board with Ireland being a great adventure and stellar education, but it will be far more tough to get the specialty you want in residency.

Hey guys,

First time applying to AB and undergoing this process. Is there a deadline after which there's a late fee? And are applications mailed out or can they be emailed? I'm just afraid my application is late now :/ I just sent my application request.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Got a skype interview at UCD just now! Has anyone done it yet and if so could you tell me the style of the interview?

Got a Skype interview at UCD just now! Has anyone done it yet and if so could you tell me the style of the interview?
I had my interview for the 6-year program at UCD a week ago, and it wasn't super formal. It was over Skype, and it was with the International Associate Dean, Dr. Patrick Felle. It was about 20 minutes, and it was an open-application interview so he had my application in front of him. He asked me questions about why I want to study medicine, why I thought that the Atlantic Bridge program was a good fit, what my favorite classes are at school, what I like to do in my free time, and why I want to go to Ireland.

Those who have received interview invites, did you receive it by email or mail?

Country of Origin: Canada
Schools applied to: All five-year programs
First choice: UL (rural health interest)
GPA: 3.23 (UG) 3.9 (MSc)
EC: Volunteering (health promotion, medlife, informal caregiver, hospital, doctors office); research assistantships x3, Publications, worked for government (Public Health), worked for ASEC, worked for red cross, cheerleading (x10 years), rugby (x 8 years), swimming (x4 years). More but can't think of them off the top of my head
MCAT: N/A
Other comments: it's a long shot but didn't apply to Canada this year and MCAT expired so have to redo in order to apply to DO/low-tier MD schools

Those who have received interview invites, did you receive it by email or mail?

Country of Origin: Canada
Schools applied to: All five-year programs
First choice: UL (rural health interest)
GPA: 3.23 (UG) 3.9 (MSc)
EC: Volunteering (health promotion, medlife, informal caregiver, hospital, doctors office); research assistantships x3, Publications, worked for government (Public Health), worked for ASEC, worked for red cross, cheerleading (x10 years), rugby (x 8 years), swimming (x4 years). More but can't think of them off the top of my head
MCAT: N/A
Other comments: it's a long shot but didn't apply to Canada this year and MCAT expired so have to redo in order to apply to DO/low-tier MD schools

I had my interview for the 6-year program at UCD a week ago, and it wasn't super formal. It was over Skype, and it was with the International Associate Dean, Dr. Patrick Felle. It was about 20 minutes, and it was an open-application interview so he had my application in front of him. He asked me questions about why I want to study medicine, why I thought that the Atlantic Bridge program was a good fit, what my favorite classes are at school, what I like to do in my free time, and why I want to go to Ireland.

Congrats on the interview! If you don’t mind me asking, what date did you receive the invite for the interview? Are you a high school or college student?

Is there a reason you aren't looking at US schools with 4.0? I mean, I am on board with Ireland being a great adventure and stellar education, but it will be far more tough to get the specialty you want in residency.

Well I’ve got an EU citizenship, and I’ve been meaning to move back closer to my family in Europe :)

Well I’ve got an EU citizenship, and I’ve been meaning to move back closer to my family in Europe :)

I also have a EU citizenship and that is one of the main reason why I find the Irish med school option so attractive. Everyone will interpret this differently, but I still think you should be aware of how internships are assigned and should always stay open to the possibility of having to come back.

"This year a new rule was brought in stating that students who obtained their place through the Irish Central Applications Office (CAO) will be prioritized. This effectively means that all Irish students (home students who applied through CAO) will be allocated jobs before international students even if the international student has EU citizenship (students who applied through Atlantic Bridge did NOT obtain their place through CAO). This doesn't necessarily mean that international students with EU citizenship won't get an intern position, but it does mean that every home student (regardless of class ranking) will get to pick a job before international students get to. If there are more applicants than positions available which there likely will be, international students (even those with EU citizenship) are at a higher risk of not getting a job at all."
Information For Those With Eu Citizenship Considering Irish Medical Schools

I also have a EU citizenship and that is one of the main reason why I find the Irish med school option so attractive. Everyone will interpret this differently, but I still think you should be aware of how internships are assigned and should always stay open to the possibility of having to come back.

"This year a new rule was brought in stating that students who obtained their place through the Irish Central Applications Office (CAO) will be prioritized. This effectively means that all Irish students (home students who applied through CAO) will be allocated jobs before international students even if the international student has EU citizenship (students who applied through Atlantic Bridge did NOT obtain their place through CAO). This doesn't necessarily mean that international students with EU citizenship won't get an intern position, but it does mean that every home student (regardless of class ranking) will get to pick a job before international students get to. If there are more applicants than positions available which there likely will be, international students (even those with EU citizenship) are at a higher risk of not getting a job at all."
Information For Those With Eu Citizenship Considering Irish Medical Schools

Huh, I actually didn’t know that, thanks for the info! I am planning on applying to a few American schools as well, but my top choice would be a European school for sure

Congrats on the interview! If you don’t mind me asking, what date did you receive the invite for the interview? Are you a high school or college student?

Thanks! I am a high school senior and I received the invite on Jan. 14th

Just got a Skype Interview from RCSI! Has anyone gotten their invites?

Just got a Skype Interview from RCSI! Has anyone gotten their invites?

If you don’t mind me asking, where are you from? RCSI usually does in person interviews. But congrats on the interview!

Got an interview invite for RCSI GEMS today - in Vancouver. Options are Feb 23/24 for that round in case any are interested in dates etc. Funnily I just got back from a Vancouver trip yesterday haha. Time to head back and get more unreal cinnamon buns! Also escape this polar vortex in Alberta (feels like -42C). Fingers are crossed this year as I did not "pass" my UL interview last year.

Got an interview invite for RCSI GEMS today - in Vancouver. Options are Feb 23/24 for that round in case any are interested in dates etc. Funnily I just got back from a Vancouver trip yesterday haha. Time to head back and get more unreal cinnamon buns! Also escape this polar vortex in Alberta (feels like -42C). Fingers are crossed this year as I did not "pass" my UL interview last year.

Congrats on the interview! I heard that RCSI is a one-on-one open application interview.

Hey guys, I had my interview with UCD-GEM last week! I was wondering when will they get back to us on their decision?

Hey guys, I had my interview with UCD-GEM last week! I was wondering when will they get back to us on their decision?
I believe the end of this week / beginning of next week.
Good luck

I submitted my app last week and just got an invite to interview at RCSI today! Super stoked. Graduate entry.

Last edited:
I submitted my app on Feb/1 and just got an invite to interview at RCSI today! Super stoked. Graduate entry.
Congrats! I tried searching to see roughly how many interviews go out for number of seats for non-eu but couldn't find anything concrete. I think I saw something like 140 interviews for 50ish seats but not sure how updated or accurate that was as it was just a comment in passing on a previous post. Are you Canada or USA?

Congrats! I tried searching to see roughly how many interviews go out for number of seats for non-eu but couldn't find anything concrete. I think I saw something like 140 interviews for 50ish seats but not sure how updated or accurate that was as it was just a comment in passing on a previous post. Are you Canada or USA?

that data would be super interesting. I am a Canadian.

Had my interview for UCD last week, another RSCI interview coming up later. I am already admitted to an American DO school. My goal is to match IM or Gen. Surgery. Which option (American DO or International MD) will give me the best path to match? I know the outcome is heavily dependent on my personal performance so just assume I will do fine on my USMLEs.

Man, starting to doubt myself since I still I haven’t gotten an interview invitation from RCSI Bahrain.

Had my interview for UCD last week, another RSCI interview coming up later. I am already admitted to an American DO school. My goal is to match IM or Gen. Surgery. Which option (American DO or International MD) will give me the best path to match? I know the outcome is heavily dependent on my personal performance so just assume I will do fine on my USMLEs.

I would always say North America first. Residency looks at DO higher than an IMG. You have higher placing and more options. Also generally the costs will be lower. Also don't have to write all the other exams while concurrently completing the curricula.

Congratulations on the interview, out of curiosity how was your GPA and MCAT scores

:)

Hey I'll answer here as I also have an RCSI GEM interview. My mcat was 512 and gpa was 3.3. But I started with a 2.1 in first year undergrad and increased every year to a 4.0 in my MSc. Don't take these numbers as holy grail through. I think my gpa is the exception; I think what helped me is iI have 10 peer reviewed journal publications (majority coauthor, with more on the way... It was a crazy MSc haha), 6 years clinical translational research, steady academic trend, 3 years teaching at the university (anatomy), 3 years tutoring, 8 years clinical work (hospital, kinesiologist etc. General healthcare delivery), and more. I also had good refs from supervisor and physician I shadowed for 6 months, and a strong letter of intent. Further, my primary interest is rural FM. So I think those all compensate for the gpa and don't want to mislead anybody by saying a 3.3 is considered a good or competitive gpa. They take a more holistic approach (thank God). Good luck to all of us! Either in passing interviews, or getting interview offers!

I also recently got a interview invite for RCSI GEM in Toronto. I was definitely not expecting that, but I am very thankful for the opportunity!

Reactions: 4 users
Hello Everyone I have just been informed that RCSI has made their 1st round interview selections, there is still a second round in April/May but good luck to everyone as I am going to apply to the UK/Aus instead.

Please be prepared for the seat deposits that I wish where listed on their website if accepted. 7k to 9k Euro 3- weeks after getting your offer.

Does anyone have an idea when UCC and NUIG offers come out?

Does anyone have an idea when UCC and NUIG offers come out?

I think first round offers for all schools start early-mid march and continue from there. I've read of their being up to 3 rounds of offers as late as August.

Hello Everyone I have just been informed that RCSI has made their 1st round interview selections, there is still a second round in April/May but good luck to everyone as I am going to apply to the UK/Aus instead.

Please be prepared for the seat deposits that I wish where listed on their website if accepted. 7k to 9k Euro 3- weeks after getting your offer.
RCSI is stupidly expensive. Good luck in your pursuits.
I did not apply to RCSI, but I was admitted to UL and our deposit was a relatively modest 4k.

Anyone applying to RCSI Bahrain this year? Do you know of any past experiences (Canadian and US students)?

Anyone applying to RCSI Bahrain this year? Do you know of any past experiences (Canadian and US students)?

I’m also curious to hear others’ experience at RCSI Bahrain. I applied. No interview invitation yet... womp womp

I think first round offers for all schools start early-mid march and continue from there. I've read of their being up to 3 rounds of offers as late as August.
I have been reading the threads from the previous years and it seems like UL interviews are held sometimes at the beginning to mid of April. That is why UL probably sends first round of offers later. I don't think anyone on SDN has gotten a interview invite from UL this year so far. However there have been quite few people with interview invites for RCSI (they have send all first round interview invites according to another post here) and UCD (via skype).