Atlantic Bridge 2019 - Chances, Acceptance, Waitlist.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NUIG and UCD both have great matching stats in the last 3 years. As far as I know, UCD does have a higher percentage when I was looking at the matching stats of 2019.

Where did you find these stats? I'm interested in looking at them!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello
Anyone knows if there are more offer from AB, checking every day and got accepted in Rci Bahrain, don’t know what to do . I ma Canadian.
Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if TCD does a white coat ceremony? Thanks!

Is there anyone here who has a EU passport and is considering the option of staying in Ireland to do the internship? Based on my understanding, we are not guaranteed a internship spot however we still have a chance at getting a internship while non-EU passport holders basically should not even bother applying. Also does anyone know how many spots are usually left for EU passport holders? Have you heard of a EU passport holder not getting a internship? Someone mentioned here previously that they usually try their best to find places for all EU passport holders, although I am not really sure how true that is.

Is there anyone here who has a EU passport and is considering the option of staying in Ireland to do the internship? Based on my understanding, we are not guaranteed a internship spot however we still have a chance at getting a internship while non-EU passport holders basically should not even bother applying. Also does anyone know how many spots are usually left for EU passport holders? Have you heard of a EU passport holder not getting a internship? Someone mentioned here previously that they usually try their best to find places for all EU passport holders, although I am not really sure how true that is.
From what I was told at my interview that EU passport holders are guaranteed a spot but you just don't get assigned one until after all CAO EU passport holders have been given a spot. Not entirely sure though so I would reach out to the schools because they will know for sure.

From what I was told at my interview that EU passport holders are guaranteed a spot but you just don't get assigned one until after all CAO EU passport holders have been given a spot. Not entirely sure though so I would reach out to the schools because they will know for sure.
That is what I have been told as well. However, the info on the Atlantic Bridge website is a bit less clear as they state "All graduates of Irish medical schools who hold EU Passports and who applied to medical school in Ireland through the CAO (Central Applications Office) are guaranteed an internship post in Ireland. Graduates who hold EU Passports, but did not apply through the CAO, are ranked below those who hold CAO numbers, regardless of their centile ranking in their graduating class. ".
They do not say anywhere that EU passport holders who applied via AB are guaranteed anything.
Ireland is a relatively small country so I am not really sure whether they really can guarantee an internship for each and every Irish and EU citizen.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is what I have been told as well. However, the info on the Atlantic Bridge website is a bit less clear as they state "All graduates of Irish medical schools who hold EU Passports and who applied to medical school in Ireland through the CAO (Central Applications Office) are guaranteed an internship post in Ireland. Graduates who hold EU Passports, but did not apply through the CAO, are ranked below those who hold CAO numbers, regardless of their centile ranking in their graduating class. ".
They do not say anywhere that EU passport holders who applied via AB are guaranteed anything.
Ireland is a relatively small country so I am not really sure whether they really can guarantee an internship for each and every Irish and EU citizen.
Applying through AB would put you under the category of those who did not apply through CAO. And i was told that if there are not enough internship potisitons available they create them. That is why for those who applied thorugh AB or other routes, you will get an internship just may not be in the area you want because you have to wait until all of the other EU students have decided on their internship positions (this is also why for non EU passport holders it is hard to get an internship because some years there are no left over positions and they do have to create extra ones).

Applying through AB would put you under the category of those who did not apply through CAO. And i was told that if there are not enough internship potisitons available they create them. That is why for those who applied thorugh AB or other routes, you will get an internship just may not be in the area you want because you have to wait until all of the other EU students have decided on their internship positions (this is also why for non EU passport holders it is hard to get an internship because some years there are no left over positions and they do have to create extra ones).
Thanks for letting me know. It is good to hear that they will provide you with something in the end. Would you mind telling me where you heard that exactly (feel free to private message me as I can't for some reason message you)?

Thanks for letting me know. It is good to hear that they will provide you with something in the end. Would you mind telling me where you heard that exactly (feel free to private message me as I can't for some reason message you)?
I heard it also in my interview during one of the presentation sessions they gave us.

Anyone still waiting, heard back from any schools or AB?

Specifically, TCD, RSCI Dublin or UCD? Thanks in advance
I still haven't heard anything from UCD, but most schools are on the waitlist portion of rolling admission at this point.

Does anyone know when is the last we can hear from any of the Irish medical schools? I haven't heard anything from them yet and an anxious to know whether I made it or not........

Does anyone know when is the last we can hear from any of the Irish medical schools? I haven't heard anything from them yet and an anxious to know whether I made it or not........
As late as August to be honest with you. I heard people actually got their acceptance last year mid August. Stay positive :)

Its rolling admission/waitlist so anytime between now and august when they officially close the waitlist.

So does that mean that they have sent out all rejections and now its just rolling admissions/waitlist?

Does anyone know of any reliable (and affordable) meal prep/food delivery services in Ireland for those of us who struggle in the kitchen? Lol

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know of any reliable (and affordable) meal prep/food delivery services in Ireland for those of us who struggle in the kitchen? Lol
UberEats, and ramen noodles. A lot of ramen noodles

Do they have Uber eats?! I’m already panicking because they don’t have Uber...
Galway doesnt have ubereats, they have something called deliveroo instead for food delivery.

Galway doesnt have ubereats, they have something called deliveroo instead for food delivery.

I found an article online that said they just got Uber eats in Ireland in November 2018!!

hey 5th yr student from rcsi bahrain - msg me if needed!!
will be glad to help.

Hey guys!
How are all of you feeling about starting next year? If anyone is currently in Galway how are you liking it so far? I’m pretty worried andI wanna be as prepared as possible so if anyone could recommend any was to prepare for next year it would be greatly appreciated :)

Hey guys!
How are all of you feeling about starting next year? If anyone is currently in Galway how are you liking it so far? I’m pretty worried andI wanna be as prepared as possible so if anyone could recommend any was to prepare for next year it would be greatly appreciated :)
What exactly are you worried about? I went and visited the school for almost a week back in may and was able to get a lot of questions answered and see the town so I may be able to help if you have any questions that are specific to the school and the area around the school. But overall I loved the town, it has a great atmosphere, the people there are extremely friendly and kind, good food, and seems like they have a good mix of activities to help relieve some stress of studying.

Hey! Has anyone paid their full tuition using the 'bank transfer' option on TransferMate (Pay to Study)? If so, was it simply a manner of plugging in bank account information for your line of credit? This process is a little different than I'm used to...

Hey! Has anyone paid their full tuition using the 'bank transfer' option on TransferMate (Pay to Study)? If so, was it simply a manner of plugging in bank account information for your line of credit? This process is a little different than I'm used to...
I did a traditional wire transfer to pay my tuition but on the transferwise website it looks like you set up an account with them, than make a payment from your line of credit account to the transferwise account, and then from the transferwise account they send it to the school.

I haven’t done it yet, but will today. Just make sure you’re using TransferMate Education because they already have NUIG as a client and you won’t risk inputting incorrect banking information. The staff at TransferMate are very helpful if you need anything def contact them. The link to pay directly to NUIG from TransferMate Education is TransferMate - National University of Ireland Galway

In your opinion, what would be the better choice for a student I. The 6 year MBBS program? Nuig or UCD?

In your opinion, what would be the better choice for a student I. The 6 year MBBS program? Nuig or UCD?
Depends on if you are from the US or Canada. UCD has better match rates for Canadians but similar rates for US students compared to NUIG. It also depends on the enviroment you want to live in and expenses. UCD is in Dublin so big city, lots of things around, airport right there, but also very expensive for housing and COL while NUIG is significantly cheaper in tuition and COL but Galway is a much smaller town (but still has everything you need to be comfortable) and also is at least 1.5 hours away from the closest airport.

Does any NUIG students or future students happen to know if there are many midterm examinations/tests throughout the first semester or is it mainly directed towards being evaluated during final exams? If there are midterm tests roughy when do they happen?

Is anybody still waiting to hear back from AB? I never heard back from UL, TCD and NUIG I'm guessing by this point is already a no go. I did get accepted to SGUL- UNIco (SGUL program in Cyprus) but was debating to go cause I read some bad review regarding their student treatment and it is really discouraging me to go. I was wondering if anybody had some advice as to what they think might be the right thing to do?

-Thanks

Is anybody still waiting to hear back from AB? I never heard back from UL, TCD and NUIG I'm guessing by this point is already a no go. I did get accepted to SGUL- UNIco (SGUL program in Cyprus) but was debating to go cause I read some bad review regarding their student treatment and it is really discouraging me to go. I was wondering if anybody had some advice as to what they think might be the right thing to do?

-Thanks
its never too late. You never know what happens and could change the the waitlist. If u did not receive a rejection, then you are still in the game. If SGUL program requires u to pay a huge deposit, I would suggest coming up with an excuse to delay the deposit or the tuition fees payment. The later the better until you hear something from AB.

Had anyone applying to Trinity or others had any luck making an appointment with INIS?

Hi, I’m currently going into my second year for undergrad (US) and am considering applying through ABP for the 5 year program for next year. Was wondering if anyone had any advice/ thoughts on my stats, as I’ve gotten very little out of AB over the phone.

• High school GPA: 3.92 with 6 APs
  • Overall College GPA: 3.36
    • My OCG is low, however it was my first year, and my second chem course was difficult, resulting in a C, however made a B in the first chem and will hopefully make a B+ in the third chem I’m taking over the summer. Also, plan on pulling up GPA with the summer courses and courses I’ll be taking this coming Fall.
  • Experience/ Volunteering: I had a 5 mo internship with a research coordinator of a hospital (didn’t get name on anything, but did get my GCP certification through the CITI training program), a full semester internship at another hospital shadowing in different areas of the hospital once a week. Currently in the middle of another research internship with a very prominent Neurosurgeon, and already have my name on 4 presentations in international conferences and an Abstract, expecting to be on more in the future. I’ve also volunteered at a local food bank, summer camps, and have worked at a restaurant for several years as a host and assistant manager. I also plan to do another internship at a different hospital during my fall semester, and join 3 clubs that have to do with raising money for different causes, such as children with Aids.

I’m concerned that I don’t have enough experience/ my GPA is low, however, I’m thinking if I can bump it to a 3.5 I may have a better chance, although that would be difficult in one semester. Also, is the “Irish” GPA different from the GPA we have in the US, and if so, how could I find out how to calculate it? What do you guys think?

Thanks for the Help!

Hi, I’m currently going into my second year for undergrad (US) and am considering applying through ABP for the 5 year program for next year. Was wondering if anyone had any advice/ thoughts on my stats, as I’ve gotten very little out of AB over the phone.

• High school GPA: 3.92 with 6 APs
  • Overall College GPA: 3.36
    • My OCG is low, however it was my first year, and my second chem course was difficult, resulting in a C, however made a B in the first chem and will hopefully make a B+ in the third chem I’m taking over the summer. Also, plan on pulling up GPA with the summer courses and courses I’ll be taking this coming Fall.
  • Experience/ Volunteering: I had a 5 mo internship with a research coordinator of a hospital (didn’t get name on anything, but did get my GCP certification through the CITI training program), a full semester internship at another hospital shadowing in different areas of the hospital once a week. Currently in the middle of another research internship with a very prominent Neurosurgeon, and already have my name on 4 presentations in international conferences and an Abstract, expecting to be on more in the future. I’ve also volunteered at a local food bank, summer camps, and have worked at a restaurant for several years as a host and assistant manager. I also plan to do another internship at a different hospital during my fall semester, and join 3 clubs that have to do with raising money for different causes, such as children with Aids.

I’m concerned that I don’t have enough experience/ my GPA is low, however, I’m thinking if I can bump it to a 3.5 I may have a better chance, although that would be difficult in one semester. Also, is the “Irish” GPA different from the GPA we have in the US, and if so, how could I find out how to calculate it? What do you guys think?

Thanks for the Help!
Hello, your experience is more than enough and it varies between non-clinical volunteering to clinical volunteering and in-between. If you are going second year undergrad, I would suggest taking your courses very seriously and do as many courses as you can to bump your GPA. You can even take some easy bird courses to boost your GPA. Take advantage of summer and do courses as well. Your only downside is your Overall GPA, and if you can raise that, it is almost guaranteed to get a spot in an Irish med school. Try to aim for 3.7 at the end of second year. If I was in your position, I would wait and raise it, and maybe apply during third year. I know it will take time but not only you are raising your GPA, but you are also opening more options and gaining the college experience generally.

Also, always keep US as an option, I know you want to skip the line by going to an Irish med school, and it is true for Americans to come back and do residency in US is easy, but you can always have more options, and work hard towards US. One of the reasons i'm telling you this because a lot of my friends who went there and come back to do residency in Canada/US are in huge debt because they kind of rushed their decision. Not saying its wrong, but patience is key (im telling you this because one of the main concerns I had to go through is taking some loan from the bank too, and Im taking this into consideration because interest and have to pay back asap) Thus, try to keep your options open and if you think you can guarantee yourself to keep raising that GPA over the next 3 years to at least 3.8, you are guaranteed a medical school in US.

Overall, I think you have a good chance, just keep raising your GPA as much as you can, because im assuming their cutoff GPA is around 3.6. Also, I think they take your GPA into consideration without the need to convert it to an "Irish GPA"

Good luck!