2023-2024 Pennsylvania (Perelman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What if we answered that question thinking they were asking about a hypothetical instead of the COVID-19 pandemic? (It didn’t specify in the question) Asking for a friend… :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

What if we answered that question thinking they were asking about a hypothetical instead of the COVID-19 pandemic? (It didn’t specify in the question) Asking for a friend… :oops:

I think it was a poorly worded question, so I wouldn’t worry about it too much-especially since there is nothing you can do now!

Reactions: 1 user
Re: First prompt. If you were offered an option to continue courses with a standard grading system or switch to Pass/Fail, and you elected Pass/Fail, please describe the reason(s) for your decision here (500 characters).

Is it OK/desirable to provide a hypothetical answer, supporting the basis for P/F with a brief discussion of acceptable reasons/scenarios? The question starts with hypothetical "If" and "and you elected".

All of my marks are letter grades, we were not given any options to choose a P/F scheme. Does the question then become optional? As there is merit in P/F, I would like to answer the prompt in the hypothetical, IF that is what is expected.

Thanks to all.
I personally understood that two things need to be met to reply to this

1. You were indeed offered the pass/fail option
AND
2. You elected pass/fail

Although I do not think it hurts to mention your opinion/ if there is something you really want to mention related

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s been 5 weeks since I got this secondary and I still can’t think of a good answer for that uncertainty question that’s long enough for the prompt 😭

Reactions: 1 users
It’s been 5 weeks since I got this secondary and I still can’t think of a good answer for that uncertainty question that’s long enough for the prompt 😭
if it helps, i modified my duke critical thinking one and talked about navigating uncertainty in an independent research project

• Wow
mine was figuring out how to navigate going forward after my first attempt at a community initiative went piss poor (both like how to redeem it and also how to make myself feel better after failure)

if it helps, i modified my duke critical thinking one and talked about navigating uncertainty in an independent research project
Ooo that’s a good way to think about it! I didn’t apply to Duke but I can definitely try to think along those lines

mine was figuring out how to navigate going forward after my first attempt at a community initiative went piss poor (both like how to redeem it and also how to make myself feel better after failure)
That’s also a good way to think about it thank you!

Adding to the discourse in the hopes it helps. I felt that decision making under uncertainty == critical thinking, and framing it that way helps open up the prompt. Outside the obvious being research, I'd imagine some people write about interpersonal uncertainty (a time where you had to connect with someone different from you, or pitching an idea for a nonprofit/organization similar to what it seems butter did). I think as long as you pick a situation where there is a problem->craft approach->implement solution/reflect on errors sort of framework it will give the adcoms what they want.

hey yall, if no secondary at this point, move on and take it in stride right?

hey yall, if no secondary at this point, move on and take it in stride right?
I don't believe Upenn screens. As long as your primary is verified you should get a secondary. If you've double checked your email and made sure you didn't miss it somewhere I would call and ask.

Adding to the discourse in the hopes it helps. I felt that decision making under uncertainty == critical thinking, and framing it that way helps open up the prompt. Outside the obvious being research, I'd imagine some people write about interpersonal uncertainty (a time where you had to connect with someone different from you, or pitching an idea for a nonprofit/organization similar to what it seems butter did). I think as long as you pick a situation where there is a problem->craft approach->implement solution/reflect on errors sort of framework it will give the adcoms what they want.
That's really helpful thank you so much!

OOS II, LM 81.5, complete 7/21

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes they do, but you need pre-approval and have to have at least the median MCAT and GPA of their class to even consider applying. It's a very small ED program.
Want to put some info about their ED program out there in case it helps others since I know there's not a lot currently online. I reached out to their admissions office about it and basically how they talked about it, if you are pre-approved, they obviously can't guarantee admission, but it sounds like you are all but in at that point unless you really screw up the interview or something like that. There's typically 2-5 each year who reach out about pre-approval and 0-2 who get approved and go through with it.

For context about how competitive pre-approval might be, I was denied and my LM and WARS are in my signature and you can look through my comment history to see where my current II's are from. I also didn't have any particularly strong reason to ED other than Penn being a strong program in general which may or may not have factored into it. They also haven't sent me an II in this first wave, so maybe they just don't like me overall and it's not just the ED program🤷‍♂️.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
+1 II a couple days ago. Completed 7/21 LM 80ish

How have people gotten IIs? Their website says they don’t send them out until September

How have people gotten IIs? Their website says they don’t send them out until September
i think it says interviews begin in september, so it makes sense that people are getting invited now

i think it says interviews begin in september, so it makes sense that people are getting invited now
Since they are virtual, they can start any day.

What is the earliest interview date?

OOS II just now, submitted 7/22. Super pumped about this one!

Reactions: 5 users
OOS II, 7/16 complete! So happy

Reactions: 5 users
OOS II, complete 7/11, LM 76.8

Reactions: 3 users
+1 OOS II, complete 7/14, LM 82.5

Reactions: 3 users
+1 OOS II just now! Complete mid July.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
+1 OOS II!! My dream school, so happy and grateful right now!!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Add me to the OOS II. Completed August 25. LM 77

Feels good, man

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
for uploading the photo, do we only need to click save? whenever I click submit, nothing changes. not sure if anyone else is experiencing this too.