2023-2024 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Too many factors go into this for there to be a good answer for your question. People who were complete in August may not get an interview invitation until January or later. People who were complete in October could hear within days. Or vice versa.

It isn't just a matter of going through the pile and offering interviews as applications come in. It's a matter of in v. out of state, mission group (and which one), WICHE v. not WICHE, which program you're applying to. Completion date has almost nothing to do with it.

The best thing you can do is just be patient. Trying to anticipate the process is an exercise in futility and frustration.

That makes sense thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my secondary on 8/25. My file was marked complete on 9/07, and I received an interview invite on 9/11.

I was marked complete on 9/11 . Hopefully I can receive an interview. I’m from FL and received the secondary (I think I would qualify for the mission-based criteria). So far I have one MD interview (Pitt) I completed and 2 DO interviews I have coming up so I’m hoping for more

Admissions decisions are about 6 weeks out or so and they will let you know if you have an A (15% of remaining spots are offered each interview group), W, or R. This is per Dr. Cloutier, the assistant dean for UME admissions.
where did you get this info? So does that mean they save spots for each round of interviews? Did you calculate stats of A post interview? hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
where did you get this info? So does that mean they save spots for each round of interviews? Did you calculate stats of A post interview? hahaha
This is what they told us in the interview orientation day.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when the earliest interviews happened?
I interviewed the week of 9/25. Does anyone know if there was an earlier an earlier interview cohort?
Wondering when the first group is going to hit their 6 weeks out date.

Does anyone know when the earliest interviews happened?
I interviewed the week of 9/25. Does anyone know if there was an earlier an earlier interview cohort?
Wondering when the first group is going to hit their 6 weeks out date.
Interviews started the week of 8/28 so that group is already 2+ months out

Are the IIs for MD/MPH usually slower to roll out? Anyone interview for the MD/MPH yet?

Do they accept update letters? Don't see anything specific in their FAQ document.
On page 6 of the FAQ document, it says that they don't accept any updates or changes to your application once you've submitted your secondary. During my interview orientation session, they told us that they don't accept updates of any kind, so it doesn't sound like it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
About the only thing I've heard they'll accept is a post-interview letter of intent.
I have been wondering if this is a document they will accept. I am in a position where I would send a letter of intent if that is permitted, where did you see that this was accepted by OHSU?

I have been wondering if this is a document they will accept. I am in a position where I would send a letter of intent if that is permitted, where did you see that this was accepted by OHSU?
A current student told me they sent one when they were applying so I sent one and they told me they added it to my file.

Anyone else get the MD/MPH happy hour email? It surprised me that there are available dates all the way into April.

• Sad
I don't see anywhere that we can submit a letter of intent, but I was hoping to send one. I do see that in the portal it says "Please note that further updates will not reopen your file or change the committee's decision." This leads me to believe that we can't submit a letter of intent. I also remember that in interview orientation they said we could email a thank you letter to the interview coordinator to be forwarded to our interviewer, but that this would not influence the acceptance decision. Let me know what you guys think.... (P.S. I had my interview on September 11-12 and still have not heard back, today is the last day of the 6-8 week window that they said they try to get back to you by)

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the email that I was accepted! In complete shock… I interviewed with the dean of admissions and it was brutal…. But he emailed me yesterday and told me I had been accepted and I honestly thought it was some joke. But I did in fact receive the official email today with the acceptance letter! For everyone on this page who doesn’t get in this cycle don’t give up. I’ve applied more times than I care to admit and the best piece of advice I can give to you is to be true and honest with yourself and the admissions committee. Don’t sugar coat things. Be blunt about your mistakes and take accountably for them. I made a lot of mistakes during college and tried to smooth over them in my apps and never got a single interview. It wasn’t until I cut it with the bullsh*t and was honest about my mistakes did anyone take me seriously. Everyone has what it takes to get in if you are persistent. Best of luck to everyone!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 19 users
Just got the email that I was accepted! In complete shock… I interviewed with the dean of admissions and it was brutal…. But he emailed me yesterday and told me I had been accepted and I honestly thought it was some joke. But I did in fact receive the official email today with the acceptance letter! For everyone on this page who doesn’t get in this cycle don’t give up. I’ve applied more times than I care to admit and the best piece of advice I can give to you is to be true and honest with yourself and the admissions committee. Don’t sugar coat things. Be blunt about your mistakes and take accountably for them. I made a lot of mistakes during college and tried to smooth over them in my apps and never got a single interview. It wasn’t until I cut it with the bullsh*t and was honest about my mistakes did anyone take me seriously. Everyone has what it takes to get in if you are persistent. Best of luck to everyone!
Congrats!! If you don't mind sharing, when did you interview?

congratulations! when you say don’t sugar coat, do you mean in the interview? did they ask you about these “mistakes?”

if you don’t want to answer publicly feel free to PM me
No like in my application. Like I was very honest about my grades and not doing well the first time I took the MCAT and I didn’t make excuses. I flat out admitted that I just didn’t study enough. That I was immature and didn’t realize the hole I was digging myself into. And then of course they ask you about your app in the interview so I did have to elaborate on those things. But the best piece of advice I can give someone is to ask for feedback from the committee and DO IT. Don’t apply again until you’ve done the work they tell you to do. They honestly take time to review your app and come up with meaningful feedback for you and for you to turn around and just not do it but reapply is a waste of everyone’s time.

No like in my application. Like I was very honest about my grades and not doing well the first time I took the MCAT and I didn’t make excuses. I flat out admitted that I just didn’t study enough. That I was immature and didn’t realize the hole I was digging myself into. And then of course they ask you about your app in the interview so I did have to elaborate on those things. But the best piece of advice I can give someone is to ask for feedback from the committee and DO IT. Don’t apply again until you’ve done the work they tell you to do. They honestly take time to review your app and come up with meaningful feedback for you and for you to turn around and just not do it but reapply is a waste of everyone’s time.

Love this! great advice! I definitely did the honest look at myself approach too and i’m interviewing next week. i really like your outlook :)

I just received the acceptance email! Interviewed the third week of September. I had to re-read the email several times just to make sure I wasn't misreading it lol. I'm a low-stat applicant, and OHSU is my number one choice program, so I'm so beyond happy right now! See you all at OHSU next year! 🤘

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
I just received the acceptance email! Interviewed the third week of September. I had to re-read the email several times just to make sure I wasn't misreading it lol. I'm a low-stat applicant, and OHSU is my number one choice program, so I'm so beyond happy right now! See you all at OHSU next year!

congrats!!!!!

I also Interviewed early September but I have not heard back yet. Is anyone else in this boat? Am I SOL?

I interviewed September 11-12 and still haven't heard back. Feeling SOL too.
I was feeling fine but now that I see people have started receiving A's, even those that interviewed after me, I do not feel fine anymore.

people that have interviewed. how was the kira experience? i’ve only had MMIs on Zoom

people that have interviewed. how was the kira experience? i’ve only had MMIs on Zoom
Had no problems and went very smoothly! It did not add any anxiety during my interview experience. I just normally prepped beforehand to make sure my microphone and webcam were working so it was already set up by the time I had the interview.

Kira is super smooth. There's a quick check-in with a mic/camera check and photo upload to do beforehand, so make sure to give yourself 10 or so minutes to complete this (I did it the night before for all my Kira interviews). I did have trouble getting my camera/mic to work initially during the check-in, but switching to an incognito window in Chrome took care of the issue. You'll do great!

• Care
thanks guys!!! and the traditional is open file? (if you can’t confirm no prob)

thanks guys!!! and the traditional is open file? (if you can’t confirm no prob)
It's open file. However, my interviewer didn't look at my file beforehand, so it ended up being more like a closed-file interview for me. So I'd plan for open file, but be prepared just in case your interviewer hasn't read your application.

How worried should I be about the pre interview question? Does it require typed our responses? My keyboard is broken so not sure if I should grab another keyboard ahead of time!

How worried should I be about the pre interview question? Does it require typed our responses? My keyboard is broken so not sure if I should grab another keyboard ahead of time!
It is typed and timed

Just completed my interviews today and was curious about something- did anyone have time after to ask questions to interviewers? I’m writing my thank you letter and don’t really have any specific conversation moments to talk about since it was strict on time. Any advice?:)

Just completed my interviews today and was curious about something- did anyone have time after to ask questions to interviewers? I’m writing my thank you letter and don’t really have any specific conversation moments to talk about since it was strict on time. Any advice?:)
I only wrote thank you letters to me 1 on 1 interviewer and the one professor I had plenty of time to actually converse with. OHSU makes it pretty clear they don't factor in thank yous so i would not worry about it too much.

+1 Hold

Interviewed the week of 9/11.

LM 72, IS

Last edited: