2023-2024 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For Optional Question 7:
7. Are there any additional ties to the state of Oregon you wish to share? If yes, use the space below. If no, leave blank. Please note that this does not factor toward your consideration as an Oregon resident or Oregon Heritage.(1550 characters)

As an Oregon Resident - should I include something such as having family/support system currently living here or does this not matter much?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

for whatever its worth:

Current student:
OOS
II: 8/8/22
Interviewed: 8/29-30/22
Hold: around Thanksgiving
Accepted: 4/25

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS II received yesterday! Oregon heritage. Complete 7/31/2023

Reactions: 1 users
Just got another email… this is kinda different from previous years. It says that before your interview they ask you to do some more short answer response questions…. They haven’t gotten the system up yet it just says that within the next week I’ll be getting another email with the portal for the questions.
Any updates about this? Curious about your experience/what was expected for these short answer questions?

Any updates about this? Curious about your experience/what was expected for these short answer questions?
They updated the portal yesterday and posted the prompts. Apparently it’s a timed prompt. I can’t access it yet something’s wrong with my portal and Kari was going to work on it but she’s out of office starting today. She told me not to worry about the Sunday night deadline since this is such a new thing and they’re giving some leniency to the first round of interviewee’s. Sorry I can’t give you more info!

Kind of feeling a bit neurotic and wondering if other people didn't answer the additional supplemental question "Based on your own experiences or the experiences of family and friends, do you believe that the area in which you grew up was adequately served by the available health care professionals? Were there enough physicians, nurses, hospitals, clinics, and other health care service providers and how did that affect your experience and relationship with health care? Please explain."

The area I grew up in was not medically underserved, but now I think that maybe I should have answered yes it was adequately served? Was this an optional question?

Kind of feeling a bit neurotic and wondering if other people didn't answer the additional supplemental question "Based on your own experiences or the experiences of family and friends, do you believe that the area in which you grew up was adequately served by the available health care professionals? Were there enough physicians, nurses, hospitals, clinics, and other health care service providers and how did that affect your experience and relationship with health care? Please explain."

The area I grew up in was not medically underserved, but now I think that maybe I should have answered yes it was adequately served? Was this an optional question?
Based on where the question was on the application and how they worded it I interpreted it as an optional question. I answered it despite being in an area that most people would believe is adequately served. I had a unique story to tell here, but I think if I didn't have anything meaningful I would have left it blank.

Reactions: 1 user
They updated the portal yesterday and posted the prompts. Apparently it’s a timed prompt. I can’t access it yet something’s wrong with my portal and Kari was going to work on it but she’s out of office starting today. She told me not They updated the portal yesterday and posted the prompts. Apparently it’s a timed prompt. I can’t access it yet something’s wrong with my portal and Kari was going to work on it but she’s out of office starting today. She told me not to worry about the Sunday night deadline since this is such a new thing and they’re giving some leniency to the first round of interviewee’s. Sorry I can’t give you more info!
Thank you for information. Can I ask Kari's contact information? Since my timed prompt submitted wrong since my mom accidently opened continue link and closed timed pop up and now it sent empty answers. I really need a help to fix it.

II this morning. OOS with Oregon Heritage. Complete 8/8. LM 74.9

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I just finished the pre-interview written question on the applicant portal. It doesn't show anywhere that it's submitted. Is this the same for everyone?

Just want to make sure that it was properly submitted and everything. Thanks.

I just finished the pre-interview written question on the applicant portal. It doesn't show anywhere that it's submitted. Is this the same for everyone?

Just want to make sure that it was properly submitted and everything. Thanks.

Is that only when you get an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
As an IS applicant, were we supposed to fill out the high school and parent residency in the Oregon heritage box? On their website, they specify that Oregon Heritage does not apply to residents, so I didn't bother filling it out and my secondary submitted completely fine. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but its weird now it says my parents are not residents even tho they are.

As an IS applicant, were we supposed to fill out the high school and parent residency in the Oregon heritage box? On their website, they specify that Oregon Heritage does not apply to residents, so I didn't bother filling it out and my secondary submitted completely fine. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but its weird now it says my parents are not residents even tho they are.
Hi there, I had the same paranoia last cycle and emailed them. They stated I was considered an IS applicant for the cycle and did not have to fill out the heritage section.

I received an II today, but I didn't get any information about timed prompts on the secondary portal? My email just detailed info about interview week/scheduling the MD interview, and my secondary portal doesn't have any extra prompts. Did anyone else experience this? Thank you!

I received an II today, but I didn't get any information about timed prompts on the secondary portal? My email just detailed info about interview week/scheduling the MD interview, and my secondary portal doesn't have any extra prompts. Did anyone else experience this? Thank you!
Hey I also received an II today w no prompts. I'm assuming they'll send them after we schedule a date. I also just sent my preference email and it says Kari is out w a family emergency, so that might factor in as well.

On the other end of the spectrum...Committee Letter uploaded mid August and still waiting for my letters to be marked received in the portal.

@potatoe79 I was in the same boat when I realized two things: 1. I forgot to assign the letters in AMCAS to OHSU, and 2. in the secondary application portal, it says that if they don't receive your letters prior to your secondary application deadline, that they will only check for them periodically, so it can take some time for the system to update and show your application as fully processed

@potatoe79 I was in the same boat when I realized two things: 1. I forgot to assign the letters in AMCAS to OHSU, and 2. in the secondary application portal, it says that if they don't receive your letters prior to your secondary application deadline, that they will only check for them periodically, so it can take some time for the system to update and show your application as fully processed
Thank you for this! My letters are assigned to OHSU and they were uploaded prior to my secondary deadline. Just gotta sit tight, I think!

Is anyone else having an issue with their letter submission? my letter packet was submitted to AMCAS w/o issue on 8/15 and received by other schools, but the OHSU portal is still showing not received for me. Any ideas as to where to poke?

Is anyone else having an issue with their letter submission? my letter packet was submitted to AMCAS w/o issue on 8/15 and received by other schools, but the OHSU portal is still showing not received for me. Any ideas as to where to poke?
Hey! This is the same situation I am in (and just posted about) and unfortunately, I believe we just need to be patient...

Hey! This is the same situation I am in (and just posted about) and unfortunately, I believe we just need to be patient...
oh lol totally missed in anxious skimming — thanks for the info !! sending u strength and patience

• Care
How long does it take for the secondary to be processed? I submitted it on 07/31 and I’m confused if I’m still waiting or if I just missed something?

See my comment #122 above and make sure your letters were delivered before your secondary deadline date. If they weren't, the secondary app. portal says that the letters will only be checked for periodically.

Do IS applicants have a faster processing and completion time? It seems like some people took nearly a month to get it after submitting secondaries, but I have some IS friends who got it the day after they submitted it.

Oh wow when did you submit your app? I’m from FL but I think they sent me a secondary cause I fit their mission statement
I submitted 8/23 and was marked complete the next day. I think it's because I uploaded my letters to AMCAS early so when I submitted my secondary everything was already there? Also OHSU does not prescreen so they send their secondary to all applicants.

I submitted 8/23 and was marked complete the next day. I think it's because I uploaded my letters to AMCAS early so when I submitted my secondary everything was already there? Also OHSU does not prescreen so they send their secondary to all applicants.

Ah gotcha! Thank you :)

Complete date?

Secondary received 07/21 and marked complete 07/27 for MD/MPH. IS with strong mission fit. Should I not expect to hear anything at this point?
submitted 08/25, marked complete 09/07. LM 69. But I'm from the West and have a strong mission fit.

Last edited:
Still waiting for my letters to be marked received and my app marked complete ......

i am a CA resident with no ties to Oregon -- is it worth doing/submitting the secondary?

OOS II received yesterday 9/25! No ties! Really excited. Interview offered is for next week.

Reactions: 2 users