2023-2024 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for mentioning both. The msom-developers had a setting for outside individuals emailing, and I updated the settings and verified that it works by testing from my personal email.

In terms of med.admissions, I recommend emailing again asking for an update. Sometimes our spam filters can be a bit aggressive, and it may have been picked up from that. I'll also mention to them that there may be some outstanding questions. Sorry about the troubles on both ends, and thank you again for mentioning it so we can get it resolved.
Perfect, thank you for your prompt response! I just resent my email to [email protected] and didn't receive the automated error email this time around. So hopefully emails are actually going through now for everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if UMiami accepts IB courses? They only mentioned AP on the website. I emailed them a couple weeks ago with this question but they never responded to me :/

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my secondary. OOS Primary sent to MSOM on 7/19

thank you! i don’t know if you know the answer to this but my university for some reason groups all the IB credits together and doesn’t specify which courses I took to receive those credits… would that be sufficient?
You will not be able to claim those as meeting prereqs unless your college lists them as "3 general biology credits, 3 history credits" etc.
If these are classes you absolutely need to meet prereqs, you can ask your college registrar to assign those to a course type.
Page 49 AMCAS Guide:

International Baccalaureate (IB) Examination
If a U.S. or Canadian institution has granted credit for an IB examination, enter the exam with International Baccalaureate as the Special Course Type and enter the transcript grade as recorded on the official transcript of the U.S. or Canadian institution accepting the examination as transfer credit and credit hours. IB credit should be entered under the term in which the college credit was initially granted. If no term is designated, include the credit with FR coursework.
The AMCAS program will verify and include letter grades (e.g., A, B, C) in its AMCAS GPA calculations only if such grades appear on the transcript of the U.S. or Canadian institution awarding the transfer credit.

You will not be able to claim those as meeting prereqs unless your college lists them as "3 general biology credits, 3 history credits" etc.
If these are classes you absolutely need to meet prereqs, you can ask your college registrar to assign those to a course type.
Page 49 AMCAS Guide:

If a U.S. or Canadian institution has granted credit for an IB examination, enter the exam with International Baccalaureate as the Special Course Type and enter the transcript grade as recorded on the official transcript of the U.S. or Canadian institution accepting the examination as transfer credit and credit hours. IB credit should be entered under the term in which the college credit was initially granted. If no term is designated, include the credit with FR coursework.
The AMCAS program will verify and include letter grades (e.g., A, B, C) in its AMCAS GPA calculations only if such grades appear on the transcript of the U.S. or Canadian institution awarding the transfer credit.
Thanks! This is super helpful. Wish they just listed out my courses in the first place lol

Page 49 AMCAS Guide:

Does this apply to AP credits that have been lumped together as well? Like, it shows up on the transcript, but the credits themselves aren't specified.

Does this apply to AP credits that have been lumped together as well? Like, it shows up on the transcript, but the credits themselves aren't specified.
Yes. If you are given 3 AP credits for Bio for instance, they will just appear on your AMCAS app as "CR" with no letter grade and are not calculated into your GPA.
IB credits can apparently have a letter grade.

Yes. If you are given 3 AP credits for Bio for instance, they will just appear on your AMCAS app as "CR" with no letter grade and are not calculated into your GPA.
IB credits can apparently have a letter grade.
To clarify, will they satisfy prerequisite courses as long as AMCAS accepts them during verification even if they were listed as lump sum on the transcript? (edit: assuming the institution accepts AP credits)

To clarify, will they satisfy prerequisite courses as long as AMCAS accepts them during verification even if they were listed as lump sum on the transcript? (edit: assuming the institution accepts AP credits)
Most med schools will state a policy about AP credits. Most will accept them IF assigned to a certain class category and not as a lump sum.
Baylor is one which does NOT accept AP credits for any prereqs.
But we're getting way off topic here so @confusedcurls I recommend that you visit this thread for the kind of answers you are looking for:

Members don't see this ad :)
did you guys receive a confirmation email when you submitted your secondary or just for your payment? because I submitted mine today, and now the site is down so I am stressing.....too much work for it to disappear

did you guys receive a confirmation email when you submitted your secondary or just for your payment? because I submitted mine today, and now the site is down so I am stressing.....too much work for it to disappear
Just payment on my end

Lol, I was neurotically checking the application portal again to see if I had been scored or not, but the portal is undergoing maintenance LOL

is the link to the application not working bc the portal is undergoing maintenance?

Lol, I was neurotically checking the application portal again to see if I had been scored or not, but the portal is undergoing maintenance LOL

this might be a dumb question but what do u guys mean when u say “scored”

from what i know multiple reviewers (2 i believe) go through your application and assign it a score (i saw some picture on older threads of their scoring criteria no idea if its still reflective of how they score, but if youre curious it should be somewhere in the thread for last year) and from there they rank the applicants and determine whether youll get an interview or not. when they score you your portal should indicate that but it wont say what score you got

Last edited:
from what i know multiple reviewers (2 i believe) go through your application and assign it a score (i saw some picture on older threads of their scoring criteria no idea if its still reflective of how they score, but if youre curious it should be somewhere in the thread for last year) and from there they rank the applicants and determine whether youll get an interview or not. when they score you your portal should indicate that but it wont say what score you got
Think I got this from last years thread. Don't remember— it may have already been posted this year lol

Attachments

• IMG_2852.png
    IMG_2852.png
    312.9 KB · Views: 325
Reactions: 4 users
Would running count as a “Sports” experience for the optional prompt? I run every day but that’s not exactly something that you “play” as it’s described lol

Would running count as a “Sports” experience for the optional prompt? I run every day but that’s not exactly something that you “play” as it’s described lol
I do triathlons/marathons which you don't "play" but I grouped it into that category for the question

anyone not able to submit their secondary? The website has been down the last few days...:/

Reactions: 6 users
anyone not able to submit their secondary? The website has been down the last few days...:/
I got the secondaries on June 30th; I was ready to submit late at night on July 31st when I saw it had been down. Now It has been 33 days. I am counting days haha.

• Wow
Think I got this from last years thread. Don't remember— it may have already been posted this year lol
How would they evaluate adversity if none of their essays involved an adversity prompt. I am SES disadvantaged and used that in the "other life experiences" part of the AMCAS primary but idk if they'll look at that.

Put this secondary off til the very end. Don't know if I can bring myself to do it.

Put this secondary off til the very end. Don't know if I can bring myself to do it.
Luckily it was my very first, so almost everything after that seemed easy lol I totally get you, its sooooo long ;((((( but you got this!

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, it will really “enhance our experience” to be able to submit our secondary!

I've tried calling around Miller and asking for [contact information], but everyone I talk to tells me they don't work there!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
anyone know when maintenance should be finished? its been like a week and i cant find any information on it online

Do we know if the maintenance is preventing secondaries from being sent out, or are folks still receiving them?

Do we know if the maintenance is preventing secondaries from being sent out, or are folks still receiving them?
I think that people are unable to submit them if I recall correctly.

I think that people are unable to submit them if I recall correctly.
Thanks, I was curious if they are still able to send secondaries to applicants that haven't gotten them yet or whether that was impacted as well.

FYI Miami is moving away from optional lectures and has instituted a new policy of mandatory in-person lecture with geo-tagged electronic check-ins

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Dislike
Reactions: 12 users
FYI Miami is moving away from optional lectures and has instituted a new policy of mandatory in-person lecture
i thought this has been in their curriculum for a while though (mandatory 8am lectures)? or in prior years was there more lenience

i thought this has been in their curriculum for a while though (mandatory 8am lectures)? or in prior years was there more lenience
There were always mandatory small group sessions (including at 8 am for M1s) within their new curriculum, but lectures were optional attendance.

Any thoughts as to why they made this change? My only worry is that they instituted this change due to weak board/clinical scores due to shifting to a 12 month pre-clinical curriculum and in an effort to better that, they are making lectures mandatory, but this is entirely speculation

Any thoughts as to why they made this change? My only worry is that they instituted this change due to weak board/clinical scores due to shifting to a 12 month pre-clinical curriculum and in an effort to better that, they are making lectures mandatory, but this is entirely speculation
Board scores appear fine--at or above national averages. The rationale given was largely in the vein of "professionalism" and the return to more in-person activities in the wake of COVID.

Am I crazy or can we still not submit? Want to make sure i'm not just slow.

I was verified about a week and a half ago and still no secondary from this school...
How long did it end up taking for you to receive your secondary? I was verified about a week ago and have not received mine