2023-2024 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone else having trouble uploading their headshot?

Members don't see this ad.

If majority of my clinical experience was done through volunteering, should I mention it twice for the chronological listing in questions 3/4?
For example, if I volunteered at a free clinic doing clinical work would I list it with my paid scribe job in question 3, and with another volunteering experience in a food bank for question 4?
I was wondering this too but for employment and clinical (I worked as an MA). For now, I have it listed twice but I’m curious about other peoples opinions on this.

Reactions: 1 user
For the reapplicants questions - do we just click "no" on the question asking if we've applied to the university before or are we supposed to leave those questions blank if we're not a reapplicant?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys write a description of your activities in the volunteer and employment questions? I have a good amount of overlap, so I was wondering if I'd need to write new descriptions for the same activities listed in multiple questions.

Are you guys just basically rewriting your W/A from AMCAS or introducing new information??

OOS submitted. Quick Q, it says that they haven't recieved my letters yet, but they were all submitted / sent through AMCAS? Is anyone else having this issue?

OOS submitted. Quick Q, it says that they haven't recieved my letters yet, but they were all submitted / sent through AMCAS? Is anyone else having this issue?
an office staffer has to mark your letters complete manually in your portal

Reactions: 1 users
Just submitted my secondary and uploaded my photo. Underneath it says "Letters of Recommendation NOT received" , "We have not received your Letters of Recommendation from AMCAS", "please verify that the letter writers have properly submitted your letters"

Not sure why its saying this as they were all properly uploaded to AMCAS. Anyone else having this message pop up?
+1, and other secondaries aren't giving me this issue, only Miami. Perhaps it will update during regular business days.

Edit: NVM just saw wysdoc's response.

Is anyone re-using content from the activities section for these questions? Also, how are you all formatting the dates? Think its ok to write "from June 2020-April-2020 I shadowed X specialties doing x... etc" or do they want a more detailed list of dates than this?

I am wondering on average how long people's responses are! Mine are at ~400 but unsure if I should reflect and expand more or leave it. Thanks!

I am wondering on average how long people's responses are! Mine are at ~400 but unsure if I should reflect and expand more or leave it. Thanks!
So far I have some that are around 500 words, but others that are around 350ish. It really has been depending on the essay for me.

So far I have some that are around 500 words, but others that are around 350ish. It really has been depending on the essay for me.

Same for me. Most of mine are at 500 but I have a few between 250-350, just depends.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys write a description of your activities in the volunteer and employment questions? I have a good amount of overlap, so I was wondering if I'd need to write new descriptions for the same activities listed in multiple questions.
Also wondering this

Stupid question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to. But, if 4 and 7 don't say describe like 3 that means we don't have to right. And like a list is legit bullet points?

• Okay...
I accidentally clicked one of the buttons for a question for "reapplicants" and now I can't uncheck it. I'm not a reapplicant - does anyone have any idea how to undo this?
I also had this issue, any ideas?

I also had this issue, any ideas?
I've been completely stuck and unable to uncheck it - frustrating since I've written all the essay but don't want to submit saying i'm a re-applicant. Have you found a way? I emailed them but no response yet.

I've been completely stuck and unable to uncheck it - frustrating since I've written all the essay but don't want to submit saying i'm a re-applicant. Have you found a way? I emailed them but no response yet.
Either wait to hear from them, or if there is a text box for your reply, type "I accidentally checked this box but I am not a reapplicant"

Does anyone know where/how we indicate interest in the accelerated 3 year MD program?
I am curious about this as well, but I did mention it in why I selected to apply to UM.

¨Take the MCAT no later than the last test date of the year prior to when you want to begin medical school (for example, Sept. 10, 2022, for a 2023 start date). MCAT scores are considered valid if it’s been less than 36 months from the examination date listed on the AMCAS application.¨

This feels a bit ambiguous to me in terms of the 36 months. Is it 36 months prior to matriculating or 36 months prior to applying? Would a Jue 2021 MCAT be within this range?

Does anyone know how long it'll take them to verify the letters - mine has been stuck at "Letters of Recommendation NOT Received" for a couple of days.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how long it'll take them to verify the letters - mine has been stuck at "Letters of Recommendation NOT Received" for a couple of days.
Just checked and mine is still like that as well. However, I submitted yesterday.

Just curious does anyone who submitted have a green check on LORs yet?

• Dislike
Just submitted my secondary and uploaded my photo. Underneath it says "Letters of Recommendation NOT received" , "We have not received your Letters of Recommendation from AMCAS", "please verify that the letter writers have properly submitted your letters"

Not sure why its saying this as they were all properly uploaded to AMCAS. Anyone else having this message pop up?
Yup, I have this same message too even though my letters were marked as received in May on AMCAS, and other schools I have submitted applications for have said they received them. My plan is to wait until next week to see if they are just downloading the files, and e-mail them about this issue then if it is not fixed.

same here

Anyone having problems with the photo upload?

"If you applied previously, describe how you have strengthened your candidacy since your last application?"

Do I have to answer this question if I am a reapplicant but didn't apply to Miami before? Thank you!

If it says "your application is current under review by the admissions commitee", is it safe to conclude that they have marked my application as complete? There is no way that I can determine if they have received my LORs, Casper, and greencard based on the portal and I have not received any email communication either.

It says not to put a grade in for AP courses. For the year I'm putting the year I began attending college because that's when the AP courses were accepted by my university, so that's the year that shows on my transcript too. As for the name of the AP courses, I'm unsure about that myself. Currently I'm just using the title that I had on my transcript, but does anyone else have any input?
Where does it say not to put a grade in for AP courses? I looked everywhere and didn’t find any info about what grade to use for AP courses, so I ended up putting “P” (pass) as my grade for the APs and submitting so my secondary wouldn’t be delayed. But I’m worried they’ll think it’s a college course I took as pass/fail… they still look at the AMCAS coursework right??

Where does it say not to put a grade in for AP courses? I looked everywhere and didn’t find any info about what grade to use for AP courses, so I ended up putting “P” (pass) as my grade for the APs and submitting so my secondary wouldn’t be delayed. But I’m worried they’ll think it’s a college course I took as pass/fail… they still look at the AMCAS coursework right??
I don't have access to the application questions anymore because I submitted but I thought it said it in the instructions right before the classes. Unless I'm mistaken? Either way, I explicitly wrote "AP" course in the description so that they know it's not a course I took in college.

For the questions that say list, are y'all actually writing as a list like :
April-May 2022: I volunteered at ________
January-March 2023: I did _______

Or more of a formal, paragraph format:

From April to May 2022, I volunteered at ______. Then, I volunteered at _________ from January to March of 2023.

I didn't do as great on the casper as I wanted too. Do you think this hinders my chances for II?

I got 1st quartile lol, I think they do screen based on it, but I'm going to send it anyway.

Update: They reset my secondary so that I can submit it without the re-applicant question.

Hello! This secondary is confusing me…

1) The guidelines say “When asked for a chronological list, please list start and stop dates along with a brief description.” With this, I noticed prompt 3 says provide a description, but prompts 4 and 7 do not say to provide a descriptions. Rather, they say just provide a list with dates. Would you still like a description for those or did the guidelines mean the ones that say description. Also, does putting "(January 2023-April 2023)” next to the activity work for a start and stop date?

2) For prerequisites: we do not include AP courses, correct? Also, does it matter which biology courses we put as in wanting the introductory or putting the advanced? Should I just put my introductory stuff since they’re just checking if I met the pre-Recs?

Did you ever find out? I can't seem to find it on the secondary like their website suggests
Thank you for reaching out.

Yes, the Accelerated Pathway applications will be sent out starting in December/January, and we will be holding information sessions regarding the application process for the pathway.

Currently, we do not have the application on the secondary application from School of Medicine as applicants to the Accelerated Pathway must be accepted into the School of Medicine first to be eligible to apply.

Thank you,

Hi, does anyone know how strict they are for the biochem requirement? My school is on the quarter system and only required us to take one biochem course if you aren't majoring in biochem. We were also only required to take 2 gen chem courses and 2 ochem courses, each with a separate lab, but the portal says not to include lab classes. Not sure how to proceed... thank you!!
Hey! I am in the same boat. What did you end up doing?

Hey! I am in the same boat. What did you end up doing?
Decided not to send a secondary lol. Heard it was a waste of time from some friends (not sure how reliable because everyone had slightly different experiences). They said you might need to find a way to take a second biochem before matriculation. Again, not sure if this is true or not, just sharing my info. :/ Wish there was more clarity on this