2023-2024 Mercer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m vacillating between this and deciding to apply to their SMP as they really are my top choice. However, there is little info from folks who have participated in their SMP online and maintaining a 3.5 in what is essentially the first year of medical school is no joke…
Ugh I guess we just have to wait? Hope for the best or worst idk lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i have couple friends who did the preclinical science masters program at mercer and yet they did not get in year later.

This is a fair point. If I don’t get in, I will ask if they think and SMP would improve my application… My sGPA is decent but my uGPA is trash from a misspent youth and only got to where it is because of post-bacc work.

I’d hope they’d be honest and say, “You don’t fit the profile of students we prefer to admit,” if that were the case.

Last edited:
This is a fair point. If I don’t get in, I will ask if they think and SMP would improve my application… My sGPA is decent but my uGPA is trash from a misspent youth and only got to where it is because of post-bacc work.

I’d hope they’d be honest and say, “You don’t fit the profile of students we prefer to admit,” if that were the case.
I doubt they'd say that tbh your profile seems fine and you're non traditional which they typically prefer to accept.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
I did attend the SMP program at Mercer, and I'm waiting to hear back from them for this cycle as well. I know that when I was in the SMP program, it wasn't a linkage program. However, they now have a linkage program with their SMP. Honestly, we still have months to hear from them, so who knows.

I did attend the SMP program at Mercer, and I'm waiting to hear back from them for this cycle as well. I know that when I was in the SMP program, it wasn't a linkage program. However, they now have a linkage program with their SMP. Honestly, we still have months to hear from them, so who knows.

Thank you so much for sharing. And you’re correct. Patience is all we have now.

Having done their SMP, I’m sure you’re in a good position to be accepted. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks!! Didn't know that. keeping hope alive!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys I have my interview in an hour but I just wanted to share that they sent me an II the next day after I sent an email almost 2 weeks ago asking for an update.

The first reply I received was the next morning from Asha who said that she can't really say anything and that my app was being reviewed, but later that day I received the II.

I dunno if it's a coincidence but might be worth a try. Wish me luck!

Hey guys I have my interview in an hour but I just wanted to share that they sent me an II the next day after I sent an email almost 2 weeks ago asking for an update.

The first reply I received was the next morning from Asha who said that she can't really say anything and that my app was being reviewed, but later that day I received the II.

You got this! The same thing happened to me

Good luck!

Who specifically did you send an email to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had submitted my secondary at the end of October and I haven't heard anything yet. If I haven't received an interview invite by February 2nd, does that mean I'm a no-go?

• Care
Received a *last min* interview invite on Tues and interviewed today! (non-trad student, complete 11/21 due to a delay with my commitee letter). A late interview invite is still a great interview invite in my book!!! There were only 7 applicants in my interview including me, and the Coordinator of Admissions remarked on how we had a 'much smaller group', so my guess is they're getting close to the end of applicants they want to interveiw.

If you do not receive an interview invite, do you receive a denial email? Also does anyone recomend calling and asking about an update or do they prefer you not?

If you do not receive an interview invite, do you receive a denial email? Also does anyone recomend calling and asking about an update or do they prefer you not?
I think you will find out by Feb 2. You can call Bridget but they won't be able to tell you much but I would still try it.

Last edited:
I spoke with someone today and they said that today is the last day to be notified about an interview invite. She said if you don’t get an interview invite today, you’ll get an email from AAMC sometime in the coming weeks, probably saying general things about what you could improve on I guess? From my interpretation, I don’t think there will be a denial email specifically from Mercer but I could be wrong. I guess we should just assume we didn’t get in if we don’t hear anything today.

Last edited:
How long after acceptance email do they usually send the acceptance letter package? Ik it says 10 business days but I think it’s past that now.

I think you will find out by Feb 2. You can call Bridget but they won't be able to tell you much but I would still try it.
Do you know if the deadline was the 29th (what someone else said) or is the 2nd?

Do you know if the deadline was the 29th (what someone else said) or is the 2nd?
1706737139998.png

This is what the portal shows. As the 29th was a Monday (beginning of the week) and the 2nd is a Friday (end of the week), it's likely they just meant this week. Sending out good vibes for folks still waiting on a II.

Would ecology with lab fill the bio credit requirement?

Likely not. They list “General Biology” explicitly.

It’s a pretty easy prerequisite to complete. Might even be able to do it in a summer at some schools in a summer session I and II type thing as the subject matter is fairly easy.

Just a reminder for everyone to be positive. Keep the faith and patience alive. I know its hard yall but our hardwork will pay off.

Reactions: 3 users
I have taken other advance bio courses like cellular biology but ecology is the only one I took that had a lab with it.
Mercer has some prereq. requirements:
1707226689040.png
I'd call admissions just to check

IMG_7993.jpg

Does this option on MSAR mean that that’s when most decisions will be made?

View attachment 382159
Does this option on MSAR mean that that’s when most decisions will be made?
I don't think so. Plan to enroll is optional on that date, and it's non-binding. It just gives schools an idea of how many students intend to matriculate when it opens. Students can still hold acceptances and waitlist spots at other schools until their top choice's commit to enroll deadline. For Mercer, that's June 30.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think so. Plan to enroll is optional on that date, and it's non-binding. It just gives schools an idea of how many students intend to matriculate when it opens. Students can still hold acceptances and waitlist spots at other schools until their top choice's commit to enroll deadline. For Mercer, that's June 30.

Agree with this. However, I think significant movement happens around May 1st and before June 30th as other schools have their commit to enroll date set a bit sooner (MUSM doesn’t start until August but some schools begin classes in July.

Last edited:
anyone got any update. Based on what people posted on sdn from past few years, the committee meets third week every month. would that be this week or next week? So we can anticipate news coming hopefully. Sdn has been quiet this year.

anyone got any update. Based on what people posted on sdn from past few years, the committee meets third week every month. would that be this week or next week? So we can anticipate news coming hopefully. Sdn has been quiet this year.
It should be next week!

Guys I just got a postcard from a student is this a good sign

anything is a good sign. I got a post card in mail too a while back after the interview. I am always hopeful and know my hardwork will pay off.

Reactions: 2 users